Start by marking “The Penderwicks on Gardam Street (The Penderwicks, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Penderwicks on Gardam Street (The Penderwicks, #2)

The Penderwicks on Gardam Street

(The Penderwicks #2)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  17,526 ratings  ·  1,717 reviews
With over one million copies sold, this series of modern classics about the charming Penderwick family from National Book Award winner and New York Times bestseller Jeanne Birdsall is perfect for fans of Noel Streatfeild and Edward Eager.

The Penderwick sisters are home on Gardam Street and ready for an adventure! But the adventure they get isn't quite what they had in
Published April 8th 2008 by Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Penderwicks on Gardam Street, please sign up.
Hannah gauruder I asked my mom the same question.She said it took place in the 2000's.
Sometimes Mrs.Birdsall made it seem a little less present, though.

·  17,526 ratings  ·  1,717 reviews

Start your review of The Penderwicks on Gardam Street (The Penderwicks, #2)
m a r y l i z
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
// Re-Read March 2018 //

What words can describe my adoration for this series and its characters? Reading a Penderwicks book is like a receiving a warm hug on a chilly day or like remembering a fond memory from your childhood.

It's blissful nostalgia & the joy of childhood.

I will never, ever stop coming back to the Penderwicks whenever I'm in need of a comfortable, cozy, & delightful read. <3

(And just so you know, my future kids will be read this series MANY times. *grins*)

/ / /

Can I
Betsy
Aug 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I can't exactly remember what it was that kept me from reading The Penderwicks of Gardam Street the minute it came out on bookstore and library shelves. As a children's librarian I certainly enjoyed Ms. Birdsall's previous title, The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy, which garnered itself a bright and shiny National Book Award. Then there was all that talk about a resurgence of "old-fashioned" children's books and how Penderwicks marked a ...more
Kathryn
Jun 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
The sequel to "The Penderwicks" earns four stars (where the first earned five) because I do feel that some of the "magic" of the first book (with Arundel and Jeffrey, Cagney and the bunnies, and summertime—that enchanted, timeless setting) was lost by having the girls return to school and "normal life." However, I still enjoyed the book and very much appreciate the fact that Birdsall was able to keep the charm and sweetness of the family alive even by putting them back in the real world (though ...more
Joey T
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! She did it again. Jeane Birdsall has successfully swept me away... twice. Witty, interesting, powerful. A story of true friendship and family values. A thoroughly enjoyable read. I have very high hopes for this series. All ages! Completely appropriate.
Happy reading!
Kristin Hackett (SuperSpaceChick)
The Penderwicks at Gardam Street is a really solid follow up to The Penderwicks. I love the relationship between the four sisters and I always look forward to the MOOPS meetings they hold. This installment was particularly funny because Mr. Penderwick's sister has decided that it's time for him to start dating again but the girls, not feeling ready yet, get themselves involved and humor ensues. I think I actually enjoyed this second book just a *smidge* more than book one but it's hard to gauge ...more
Debbie
May 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comfort-books
I liked The Penderwicks so much that I was worried that the sequel couldn't be as good. But it was good! These books are like Little Women but younger and more modern. There's still an old-fashioned feel about them, though, which I think is partly because things like phones and TVs and computers remain in the background.

If I just read a summary of the books, I wouldn't think they seemed interesting, but there's something irresistible about them once you start reading. Maybe it's the characters.
Linda Hart
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reading the adventures of the Penderwick family is like a breath of fresh air. This sequel missed some of the adventure of the first story but was nonetheless enjoyable and and a great family or middleschool book.
Allison Tebo
Still just as wonderful after many, many re-reads!

RTC!
Brigid ✩
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was cute! It was a little slower and more predictable than the first one, but it was still a fun read. And I love the Penderwick sisters and the bond they share. I look forward to reading the next one!
Katie Ziegler (Life Between Words)
Oh how I love this family.
Ann
Jun 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes good, heartwarming character stories
Recommended to Ann by: Katie
Birdsall manages, yet again, to write a charming, timeless tale about family, honesty, friendship, and love.
The four Penderwick sisters each have their own plots and arcs throughout the book, but must always come together to deal with the main plot of this sequel - that their father has started to date (which, I think it's only fair to point out that the dating is not the father's idea. He is, in fact, quite reluctant, and it is only because of a letter that his wife wrote for him before her
Shannon
Read along with Zahara.

I pretty much love this family and all of their adventures. I'm sad that there's only one more book left. I hope it's not a trilogy and she's still writing.

Review to come.

ETA: Just found this on her site:

Are you writing more books about the Penderwicks?
There are now three published Penderwick books, and I’m working on the fourth, which will come out in 2014. The fifth Penderwick book will be the last.

Well, I'm glad there will be two more but will still be sad to see them
Morgan
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun, cute book. It definitely has the same sort of feel as Elizabeth Enright and Eleanor Estes, which reminds me of childhood. Love these characters. And totally called the ending. I especially enjoyed the whole "Marianne" thing. XD Highly recommended.
Kaethe Douglas
I like the retro feel of the Penderwicks books, the idyllic life they lead. Plus, there are endless book references, especially in this one.

***

I think the Penderwicks will be classics when the Offspring are grown. Both girls and I get so caught up in their adventures, which aren't all that adventurous, by comparison with most of the fantasy we've read. Somehow Birdsall manages to make the little things like baking a cake, practicing soccer, or picking out a Halloween costume, every bit as
C.B. Cook
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Man, how can I explain my love for the Penderwick books??? Batty is adorable, Rosalind is intriguing, and Skye and Jane are... pure awesomeness. These books are middle grade, but I love them more than most YA books I've read - the sweet innocence, the mystery, and most of all, the crazy schemes and situations these girls get in. How I adore them! I'd recommend them to everyone look for a cute, clean, and hilarious read. :D This one, specifically? I love Ben (Duck!) and I adore the relationship ...more
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
I love the Penderwick books! The ending here is a bit obvious, but it doesn't really matter, b/c getting there is so fun and delightful. Wonderful writing, delicious characters! I love it all!
Maddy Smith
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Fab read
Aria
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
And this was just as good as the first. I absolutely loved it! Also the last bit with Bug Man was HILARIOUS. XD
Leona  Carstairs
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars OMG THESE BOOKS MAKE ME SO HAPPY. BIRDSALL YOU GENIUS, YOU ABSOLUTE WIZARD. YOU'VE CAUSED MY FACE TO RIP APART FROM ALL THE SMILES. ...more
Ellen
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
While I didn't quite like this as much as the first one, I still loved it. I missed Jeffrey. And Tommy just didn't replace him. Hopefully, Jeffrey will be in later books. Anyways, this book is still excellent with many gem moments such as Skye's before-game rituals, Jane's play and just Batty in general.

2019 challenge: a book about a family
Emma
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could give books 1000 stars
Susan Mortimer
Oct 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lis-565
I didn't think anything could be more delightful than The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy," but I was proved wrong by the second installment (in a to-be five-part series),"The Penderwicks on Gardam Street."

This book continues where the first left off, though it can be enjoyed thouroughly as a stand-alone. The four Penderwick sisters (ages 4-12) are embroilled in a plot to save their widowed daddy from re-marriage, and while doing so they
Mir
Jan 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: younger
Birdsall's first book, The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy, had a timeless and innocent charm. Reminiscent of many childrens' books from the earlier, it could have been set at any point in the past century. Although the summer adventures of the four sister and their friend and dog had serious elements (eg Jeffrey's miserable home life) and were sometimes dangerous (eg the bull) they were truly child-like and carefree.

The second installment
Beth Anne
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
7/19: Listened to the audiobook again and loved it so much more this time. I think this book is a good bit stronger than the first because we already know and love the characters. I loved this flawed family so much, and really appreciate how even through their disagreements and fights, they are always looking out for each other and working together.

8/15: Listened to the audiobook with the kids. I didn't find this one quite as sweet for the beginning, but I truly loved the ending. My kids love
Ginnie
2019 review:
Still funny, and great!

2018 review:
When a sequel is better than the first, thats amazing. Thank you Ms. Birdsall for writing a new classic. I love the Penderwicks. Can't wait to start the next book!
Abigail
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone Who Has Read & Enjoyed 'The Penderwicks'
The Penderwicks return in this second of five middle-grade novels devoted to their adventures, this time back home on Gardam Street, in Cameron, Massachusetts. As the girls - motherly eldest sister Rosalind, fierce tomboy-scientist Skye, dreamy authoress Jane, and animal-loving baby of the family Batty - start a new school year, they each face new experiences and challenges. Rosalind must confront her mixed feelings about next-door-neighbor Tommy, who clearly has an adorable crush on her; Skye ...more
Cadee
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was a good book about sisters 4 of them. Their names were Rosiland, Jane, Skye, and Batty. Their mom died when they were done and she wrote a letter for there father to start dating and gave it to there and, a few years later she gives it to him. The girls were freaked out and came up with a plan. The plan was to find a lot of awful dates until he wants to stop dating. Read the rest to find out what happens next.
Iris
Pretty unrealistic, but SO MUCH FUN. And the NOSTALGIA! RTC.
Lilian
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I HEARTILY APPROVE OF THIS SHIP.
Paul
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, kiddos, novels
This is one of the best children's book series ever written. Full-stop. Gardam Street is even better than the debut – smart, funny, touching, exciting. You can't read one of these books and not ache with longing to be part of the Penderwick family.
The Penderwicks Rock!!!!!!! 18 82 Oct 01, 2014 11:06AM

• The Vanderbeekers and the Hidden Garden (The Vanderbeekers #2)
  • The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street (The Vanderbeekers #1)
  • The Vanderbeekers to the Rescue (The Vanderbeekers #3)
  • The Mysterious Howling (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place #1)
  • The Saturdays (The Melendy Family, #1)
  • The Unseen Guest (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, #3)
  • The Hidden Gallery (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place #2)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #1)
  • The Unmapped Sea (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, #5)
  • The Read-Aloud Family: Making Meaningful and Lasting Connections with Your Kids
  • The Willoughbys
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #2)
  • The Interrupted Tale (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, #4)
  • The Long-Lost Home (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, #6)
  • The Four-Story Mistake (The Melendy Family, #2)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #3)
  • Sweep: The Story of a Girl and Her Monster
  • Then There Were Five (The Melendy Family, #3)
Jeanne Birdsall grew up in the suburbs west of Philadelphia, where she attended wonderful public schools. Jeanne had lots of great teachers, but her favorites were: Mrs. Corkhill, sixth grade, who encouraged her intellectual curiosity; Mr. Tremonte, eighth grade algebra, who taught Jeanne to love and respect math; and Miss Basehore, second and fourth year Latin, to whom Jeanne (and Mr. Penderwick) ...more

The Penderwicks (5 books)
  • The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy (The Penderwicks #1)
  • The Penderwicks at Point Mouette (The Penderwicks, #3)
  • The Penderwicks in Spring (The Penderwicks, #4)
  • The Penderwicks at Last (The Penderwicks, #5)
“...even a tiny bit of deceit is dishonorable when it's used for selfish or cowardly reasons.

- Mr. Penderwick”
371 likes
“Jane,' she said, climbing down from the chair. 'Remember last year when I built that model wind tower for you and you wrote those poems for me?'

And you said you'd never switch homework assignments with me again.'

For good reason. My teacher had a hard time believing I wrote Tra-la the joy of tulips blooming, Ha-ha the thrill of bumblebees zooming. I'm alive and I dance, I'm alive though death is always looming. When I finally convinced her that I had, she asked me if I needed to talk to the school counselor.”
115 likes