Start by marking “Brief: Make a Bigger Impact by Saying Less” as Want to Read:
Brief: Make a Bigger Impact by Saying Less

Brief: Make a Bigger Impact by Saying Less

Get heard by being clear and concise

The only way to survive in business today is to be a leancommunicator. Busy executives expect you to respect and managetheir time more effectively than ever. You need to do thegroundwork to make your message tight and to the point. The averageprofessional receives 304 emails per week and checks theirsmartphones 36 times an hour and 38 ho
Published January 23rd 2014 by Wiley (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Brief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brief

Jen
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
The very worst kind of business book - one written by a guy more interested in talking about all the people he's worked with (in an obnoxious, name droppy way) than providing actual helpful content. Also, the thesis of the book: that employees need to be brief not because of a societal shift in attention spans or to be respectful of customers' time but because CEOs are way more busy and important than you is incredibly tone deaf. The Grainger anecdote was good, but everyone with a vested interes ...more
Timofey Peters
Чтение этого обзора займёт две минуты. Подробнее в блоге http://tea-man.ru/2014/11/brief/

Зачем читать эту книгу? Для того, чтобы вас услышали в условиях атакующих со всех сторон потоков информации, нужно излагать информацию коротко и понятно. Почему это необходимо и как это сделать наилучшим способом читайте в книге, или короче :) ниже.

Публичные выступления, речь

* Составьте план или интеллект-карту выступления.
* Ключевые мысли должны прозвучать в течение первых пяти минут.
* Людям не нравится, ко
Panda Incognito
This book was thoroughly unimpressive. The short chapters are often interchangeable, reiterating material from a different angle instead of digging deeper, and info boxes that cover pre-established concepts regularly interrupt the text flow. Rather than delving into psychology or behavioral science, the book depends on long, skim-worthy stories about people the author has worked with and how they've solved their communication problems. None of it gripped me.

Someone who works in the corporate sec
Dawn Lennon
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
A book about being brief almost sounds ridiculous, until you get your hands on this one. One of the tenets of the book is that in order to master brevity you need expertise. Joseph McCormack certainly does and demonstrates it in both his writing style, the book's structure, and his use of the techniques that he proposes--headlines, visuals, and stories.

The book is so neatly arranged that the reader can navigate the messages and the advice with ease. McCormack starts by raising awareness about th
Justin
Nov 03, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The author clearly knows what he's talking about and has some strong kernels of adviced peppered through the book but frequently fails to follow his own advice.

For instance, one of the major points he highlights is the ubiquity of interruptions in modern society and the added importance of brevity as a result. He then goes on to fill the book with 'Brief Bits' that have small break-out boxes of stand alone text that are a constant interruption from the primariy narritive. Chapter 11 even has a '
Maria
McCormack has spent his career helping people to think first before talking. Common sense isn't that common, and it can save time, confusion and money.

Why I started this book: Professional Reading list and a short book. Win, win.

Why I finished it: Great audio and a great reminder. The final judge of any self-help/communication book is if you are motivated to follow their advice. So far, so good.
Abo Ahmad
العاملين في سلك الدولة والعاطلين عن العمل
كلّ واحد من هؤلاء سيجد شيئاً من الكتاب يتحدث عنه ويفيده
Fred Zimny
Feb 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Tackle the unconscious obstacles to brevity.Brief: Make a Bigger Impact by Saying LessJoseph McCormack

Simplify ideas by using BRIEF mind maps to outline information.

Backgrounds
Reasons Relevance
Information
Ending

Make your ideas pop with the power of pictures.

Exchange corporate-speak for an engaging story.

Employ active listening to turn monologues into controlled and balanced conversations.

TALC Talk, active listening and converse

Brevity signifies respect – show people you care b
Benjamin Schneider
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
There's really only an HBR article worth of content in this book. It seems like the book was written to serve as a raison d'etre for speaking gigs and as merchandise for the speaking gigs. The main argument of the book (that clear, concise communication is valuable but takes time and is aided by certain techniques) is certainly correct, but it does not take a book to present this argument.

I'd recommend avoiding this book but perhaps watching the author speak in a Youtube video. I only read the b
Sergei_kalinin
Неплохая книга о том, как научиться лаконичности :) Автор предлагает 4 практических инструмента, которые научат выступать и писать короче. Книга ориентирована на бизнес-коммуникации, но м.б. полезна и в жизни.

Рецензия в моём блоге (включая краткое описание 4 инструментов ;)): http://s-kalinin.blogspot.ru/2014/10/...
Helder
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. The term "lean communication" suits it very well. Avoiding waste, getting to the point and making your communication effective, while centering your message on the receiver are key points that I registered after reading the book. If you want to become a more effective speaker and a more pleasant communicator this book is for you.
David Bakker
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
It was too long. Seriously nearly nothing you haven't thought of yourself. If you need to be convinced of the necessity of brevity, this book doesn't even do a good job. It uses a 'I did this and that' examples that have little impact on me as a reader and are completely forgettable.
M. Jane Colette
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Could have been shorter. An article rather than a book. Worth skimming through; content is all on the surface; no deep drilling required.
Shhhhh Ahhhhh
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: high-value
Good, 'brief', practical book on optimizing communication in the age of inattention. Definitely illuminated things for me as someone who does executive training and presentations from time to time. I've always chalked up the unfailing occurrence of execs giving dull cow eyes during a presentation to do with the fact that they didn't gaf about anything below a management level. It's now clearer to me that, given the business of their schedule, they had tuned out the presentation because the aweso ...more
Sean Goh
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: biz, relating
A not-so-brief book better suited to a HBR or Forbes article, as it often repeats itself and throws in forgettable 'case studies' that don't do much to advance the writer's point.
The frequent text box interruptions don't do the reader any favours either.

___
Being brief is not just about time. What's more important is how long it feels to the audience.
It is a balance between being concise, clear and compelling. Give people enough to act on, but not choke on.

Board members are very busy and have lit
Annie
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title BRIEF is also an acronym for the approach:
- Background
- Relevance
- Information
- Ending

To be brief, it requires a lot of work to have a thorough understanding of the subject. This may include writing outlines and creating mind maps. You also need to refine the summary of your topic - what would be the headline and narrative? Don't give a bunch of facts. "Plan and practice" is the advice given over and over so you can deliver stories that are to the point, observe your audienc
Gordon
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a must read for anyone who deals with senior leaders in the military, government or business. In today's frenetic, information-saturated world, applying the principles advocated by McCormack can improve individual and organizational performance in significant ways. Although I recognized many of the principles and have practiced them for years, I didn't fully understand or consciously understand why they were so important. I also learned a number of other great tips I intend to implement ...more
Tigran Mamikonian
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Книга, несмотря на название довольно затянута, хотя очень актуальна.

Мне особенно понравилось несколько вещей:
А) 7 причин того, почему мы не бываем коротки (смертных грехов) - это внутренние причины и привычки, в силу которых нам трудно быть краткими;
B) Автор предлагает несколько инструментов, чтобы добиться краткости:
C) 20 советов о том, как быть кратким во время подготовки к публичным выступлениям / презентациям, и во время самих выступлений:

А) 7 причин того, почему мы не бываем коротки (смертн
Alyssa M
Jul 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
I was very interested to read this book, but couldn't even make it all the way through. For a book called Brief, this book dragged on and on saying seemingly the same thing over and over. It could have easily been made into an article saying "People are busy and don't care what you have to say, so say it as succinctly as you can".

It really seemed like this writer has lots of experience with it and was very knowledgeable about the subject, but the book seemed to jump around with tons of little pa
Chase Metcalf
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Must read for those wanting to improve their communications skills. The author highlights the importance of brevity in today’s information saturated environment and provides tools and recommendations for making your own communications more impactful. Bottom line the title says it all -say more and have a bigger impact by saying less.

I re-read this book in preparation for deployment and it reminded me of wh
Christopher Litsinger
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a quick and easy read about tightening up formal, professional communication. It's filled with mnemonic devices and other corporate-training-esque packaging.
While it stresses the importance of keeping all communication short and to the point, including casual small talk, the practical how to bits of it don't really offer as many suggestions for non-planned communication.
Overall a useful read.
سارة محمد
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: كتب
من منا لا يحضر إجتماعا لساعات ويخرج من بدون فائدة بسبب كثرة الكلام التي لا تفيد؟!
تعلم ان تكون مختصرًا للغاية ، قل ما يجب عليك قوله فقط وليس عليك شرح المواضوع باسهاب حتي لاتزعج من حولك
الجميع مشغولون للغاية بين اجتماعات والرد علي الهاتف ورسائل البريد الإلكتروني حاول ان تقتنص الفرصة لجذب إنتباههم من خلال حديثك القصير
كن مختصرا او لا تقل شيئا علي اللإطلاق
الكتاب مفيد للجميع رغم انه محدد لفئة معينة وهم رجال الاعمال والمحاضرون لكن أري ان الجميع لابد ان يلتزم الإختصار
Ed
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
The author covers a lot of areas, but I particularly found "mapping" and the B.R.I.E.F. approach, (Background, Relevance, Information, Ending, and Follow up), useful and have used it already.

The section on how busy people are with Social Media, emails, meetings, etc could have been shorter since my guess is that anyone reading the book is already familiar with it.

Read it if you have to attend meetings all the time.
Joe
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Brief is a great book both about one on one communication and business communciation.

Being concise in conversations is a lost art and people will respect you for it and want to speak to you more. The people who speak the most are doing so because people avoid speaking to them they want to make the most of it when someone does.

Meetings can be sped up through diagrams which allow people to understand concepts more quickly and attendees to remember more of what they saw and heard.
Lauren Siegel
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
My graduate program in public policy taught the importance of brevity, but this was a nice reminder 5 years later. I especially appreciated the tools it provided and the specific facts about attention span. I also found it validating since I struggle with being overwhelmed by information and frustrated with how conversations and meetings go at work.
Erin
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Actual rating 2.5 if I could give a half. There were some valid points made, tips offered and I can see myself using a few during the ol’ 9-to-5er.

But as other reviews have stated: there is a lot of examples that end up being overkill, and the drawings and “bits” I found useless and disruptive at times.
Laurie Caetano
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: prof-development
This book was recommended to me at work and I really enjoyed it. It changed the way I define brevity. When looking at past presentations or meetings through the lens of this book, I notice that the ones that follow the practices from this author are the ones that stick with me the most. I am definitely going to use the principles outlined going forward.
Carolyn
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another great book for communication. The first few chapters about why being "brief" is so vital in the workplace when conducting a meeting, sharing information with others, and why we struggle with being brief were very informative.

I have a lot of bosses who should read this book, and a lot of co-workers who abuse meeting times that would benefit from this book. Great resource.
Matt Wilson
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good and practical advice on becoming a better communicator

If you have trouble being heard, check this book out. Lots of practical advice on becoming a more concise and effective communicator.
Thais
Dec 30, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I’ll be BRIEF: unhelpful name-dropping from beginning to end, repetitive and a waste of time. The author could have taken his own advice and write all this info using an Infographic. DO NOT waste your time.
  • Moments of Impact: How to Design Strategic Conversations That Accelerate Change
  • Overcoming Fake Talk: How to Hold Real Conversations That Create Respect, Build Relationships, and Get Results
  • Draw to Win: A Crash Course on How to Lead, Sell, and Innovate With Your Visual Mind
  • Breaking Through Bias: Communication Techniques for Women to Succeed at Work
  • Leading Up: How to Lead Your Boss So You Both Win
  • The Gifted Adult: A Revolutionary Guide for Liberating Everyday Genius
  • Woman Up!: Overcome the 7 Deadly Sins That Sabotage Your Success
  • Absolute Value: What Really Influences Customers in the Age of (Nearly) Perfect Information
  • Leadership: Research Findings, Practice, and Skills
  • Interpersonal Conflict
  • Miss Manners Minds Your Business
  • Accelerate: Building Strategic Agility for a Faster-Moving World
  • Free from Lies: Discovering Your True Needs
  • Big Fat Lies Women Tell Themselves: Ditch Your Inner Critic and Wake Up Your Inner Superstar
  • The Spirit of Kaizen: Creating Lasting Excellence One Small Step at a Time
  • Break Your Own Rules: How to Change the Patterns of Thinking That Block Women's Paths to Power
  • The Idea-Driven Organization: Unlocking the Power in Bottom-Up Ideas
  • Foolproofing Your Life: Wisdom for Untangling Your Most Difficult Relationships
“It's a balancing act of being concise, clear, and compelling. All three need to be in harmony.” 0 likes
“It's not about using the least amount of time. It's about making the most of the time you have.” 0 likes