Start by marking “Englar alheimsins” as Want to Read:
Englar alheimsins

Englar alheimsins

Fáar sögur hafa hitt íslensku þjóðina jafnrækilega í hjartastað og saga Páls, allt frá draumi mömmu hans nóttina áður en hann fæddist og þar til yfir lýkur, enda er hún gædd einstakri hlýju og húmor.

Englar alheimsins hefur notið fádæma vinsælda ungra jafnt sem eldri lesenda og verið þýdd á fjölmörg tungumál. Fyrir hana hlaut Einar Már Guðmundsson bókmenntaverðlaun Norðurla
Published 1993 by Almenna bókafélagið

To ask other readers questions about Englar alheimsins, please sign up.
Mahak No it hasn't..although the one I bought was a used version. :)

Nora Barnacle
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
„Svemirski anđeli“ su kao foto album: živopisna galerija mnogobrojnih likova, mahom epizodnih.

Gudmundson iz prvog lica, pod imenom Pautl, priča dogodovštine jednog Islanđanina, počevši od trenutka rođenja, do poslednjeg kadra, iz groba. Kako je reč o šizofrenom životu koji se vrti oko duševne bolnice, sve vrvi od ludaka i bizarnih situacija u koje upadaju bilo oni, bilo podstanari njihovih glava.

Ovo je vrlo zabavan roman koji sve vreme balansira između ludila kao ozbiljne teme, onih stvarnih muk
Eduardo Santiago
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First: ignore the title. This isn't woo-woo or jesusy: it's a haunting, almost sublime first-person tale of schizophrenia. There, that's out of the way.

The imagery is vivid. Narration is graceful, weaving snappily through time and space and characters. I found myself frequently pausing to take a breath, slow down, and start again a few pages back; pacing myself, letting myself stop and absorb. The story is sad but not in the way you'd expect: the narrator's perspective is curiously distant even
Matteo Fumagalli
Il punto di vista visionario e criptico sul senso della (propria) vita di un uomo annegato nella follia. Una lettura non sempre facile, ma ricca di fascino, che si impara a comprendere a lettura conclusa. Lasciatevi guidare.
Neva
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Сега, когато краят наближава, стените се струтват и завесите падат, аз ще кажа откровено: живял съм при пълнолуние и съм обходил небосвода и дълбините. Обичал съм, смял съм се, плакал съм и сега, когато сълзите текат и нещата са така приятни, ще кажа: правих всичко по свой собствен начин."

Обичам тихите книги и свободното влизане в нечия глава. Добавям една звездичка специално заради сцената с Омар и класьора на с. 185. Радвам се на бележките, които ми разширяват хоризонта и дават нужен контекст
Larissa
I read a short story by Einar Mar Gudmundsson ("Uninvited") in the Icelandic issue of McSweeny's (Issue 15--it's really good, you should pick it up) and it had quite an effect on me. The story was broken into discreet sections, each a photographic anecdote which wasn't necessarily being included in linear order, but was organized in such a way that you felt as if you were entering the situation--and the events leading up to the immediate story--in an organic fashion. there was an event, there we ...more
Calzean
A breathtaking read following Paul's life, his descent into schizophrenia, with his experiences in Iceland's mental asylum in the second half of the 20th century. It is humorous in parts, dark in others. Paul and his friends are completely mad at times and quite wise on other occasions. Their night out holding a wake was quite a scene.
But the highlight of the book was the writing. When Paul was deep in madness, the book carried his thoughts with reality and surrealism. It is quite an achievement
Patryx
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ho trovato questo romanzo bello, poetico a tratti e molto triste. Pall (il protagonsta) racconta la sua vita, da una normale infanzia a un'adolescenza turbolenta sino al trasferimento in un ospedale psichiatrico. Le cause (neurofisiologiche, familiari, sociali) son del tutto irrilevanti perché non cambiano la condizione di chi si trova ad affrontare la follia. La storia di Pall e di tutti gli altri di cui ci vengono raccontate le vite avvertono che il confine tra normalità e follia è molto sotti ...more
Jim Elkins
Anne
Nov 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having just passed through Reykjavik for a day, en route to Sweden, I chose this book to read as an escape from the Kindle interface. The bookstore, near the Fron Hotel (highly recommended), carried a few Icelandic writers, including Halidor Laxness, but I wanted to discover a writer who would be more difficult to find. Angels of the Universe was the perfect traveling companion, reminding me in some ways of Saramago (esp Blindness), with its quirky merging of the trajectories of insanity / sanit ...more
Anni
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a very strong relationship to this book. I always read it when I got sick. It made me feel better. The books brings me to the place of blue and gray. A melancholy that's always there guiding me.
Agris Fakingsons
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
..lai gan lasāmo grāmatu saraksts aizvien ir nemainīgi liels, es paņēmu uz darbu izlasīt šo Dimiņa tulkoto un dāvāto grāmatu, kuru izlasīju ar lielu aizrautību. dažbrīd tiešām bija sajūta, ka varētu raudāt (par raudāšanu Dimiņš dāvināšanas dienā teica).
Spinster
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No light beach reading, this one. Not that I didn't know it going in, but wow. I thought Finns were depressing, but it appears that Iceland is an even darker, colder, harder environment for poor people to grow up in. Still, the tragic, depressing tone of Angels of the Universe wasn't offputting by any means. It was familiar and somehow homely and comfortable, especially with its dry comical moments. Could be that all of us Northerners are a bit off our heads.

I very much enjoyed the characters in
Mike Mckenzie
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most remarkable, beautiful books I have ever read. Funny yet an undercurrent if sadness pervades it. The film adaptation is well worth checking out with a fantastic soundtrack featuring Sigur Rós.
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: c-iceland
Ho iniziato questo libro con altissime aspettative, sopratutto perché è, cronologicamente parlando, il primo libro edito Iperborea su cui abbia mai messo gli occhi. Ricordo che ne lessi la trama e subito pensai "lo devo leggere assolutamente". Diciamo che l'ho approcciato con l'aspettativa di leggere uno dei libri migliori del mio 2018 e purtroppo non è stato così.
Devo anche essere onesta e dire che ho avuto davvero difficoltà a dare un giudizio: circa verso la metà del libro ci sono alcune part
Rézina Dějová
Chladný je prázdný prosto vesmíru, chladné je světlo na chodbě i ženské oko ve špehýrce, chladné jsou léky na tácku.
Hvězdy třeští zrak na Útes, samota mořských zátok je temná.
Kdyby tady u okna, odkud se teď dívám na vzedmuté vlny a smolně černé moře, stál Chagall, asi by viděl poletující krávy.
Někdy slýchávám všechny housle světa.
Někdy se sněhobílé hory dávají před mým zrakem na pochod.
Jednou jsem viděl, jak okolo mne kroužily čarodějnice na košťatech, to ale bylo na Silvestra a létaly rachejtle
Dana DesJardins
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Icelandic novel is told from the point of the view of the the author's late, schizophrenic brother. It is lyrically written, or lyrically translated at least, though the Icelandic woman who gave it to me said the prose is even more beautiful in the original. It is also funny, with the mad characters in the psychiatric hospital limned with humor and compassion rather than the more common cliched, condescending quirks.
Yet the narrator does not shy away from what he calls his "darkness" and h
Lukas
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jeg slugte "Universets engle" råt. Det er historien om den islandske Paul, fra han blev født, til han døde på tragisk vis. Og alt der skete derimellem er skrevet så rodet, men enkelt, så skævt og så fint og så poetisk, at man ikke er i stand til at huske noget af den sådan rigtigt efterfølgende. Paul er skizofren. Og som læser bliver man selv helt i tvivl om, hvorvidt ens hjerne selv er ved at blive skør, eller om det bare er bogen, der sætter vilde tanker igang helt fra universet, stjernerne ti ...more
Henry
Ehdottomasti hienoin tähän astisista lukemistani kirjoista, jotka ovat käsitelleet mielenterveysongelm(ais)ia ja elämää osastolla "omiensa" parissa, omassa maailmassaan. Eikä ollenkaan synkkä, oikeastaan aika lohdullinen ja sympaattinen vaikka olikin niinkin loistavasti kirjoitettu että omatkin oireet palasivat hetkeksi :D

"Se tapahtui kauan ennen lääkeläskien aikaa, kahvinlitkimisen ja tupakkayskän aikaa. Olin jäntevä ja vahva ja kuljin takki päällä, farkut jalassa ja huivi kaulan ympärillä."
Lucie Meisnerova
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"It's the Russians," said Peter. In those days, people were more scared of the Russians than they would be later. Russians were worst than the people from Hunavatn district, and that was saying a lot..
Alessandro Margheriti
Uno schizofrenico racconta la sua vita, densa di avvenimenti, avventure e personaggi assurdi. E scopri che la follia può avvicinarsi molto, moltissimo alla poesia.
Un romanzo bellissimo, sconnesso com'è giusto che sia, sicuramente drammatico ma in alcuni episodi perfino divertente.
Berta Sigríðardóttir
Amazing. Must read for anyone everywhere!
Samuele Petrangeli
Uno dei primi capitoli di Angeli delll'Universo si apre con un passaggio piuttosto intimo: "L'orologio batte le due. E tuttavia non so perché a me non è riuscito di raggiungere un più saldo equilibrio sulla strada scivolosa che chiamiamo vita; perché alcuni attraversano la vita per una via diritta mentre altri vagano all'infinito per vicoli oscuri". Pall è malato, soffre di schizofrenia. Crede di essere la reincarnazione di Van Gogh e Gauguin. Certe volte può essere violento, aggressivo. Ma sopr ...more
Patty Whitney
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While Angels of the Universe is fiction, it is based on the life and death of Gudmundson’s mentally ill brother, and therefore feels intensely personal.  The narrator of the story is Paul, and it is through his eyes that we see his gradual descent into schizophrenia, triggered by the break-up with his girlfriend.  Because it is told from Paul’s perspective, the feelings are profound and almost palpable. Yet in true Icelandic nature, Gudmundson’s writing style is understated, and never overly dra ...more
o
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star-rating
There’s something very artistic about this novel and its depiction of schizophrenia in Iceland. However, I didn’t find that I particularly identified with any of the characters, so it’s just an “okay” rating from me. Doesn’t damper my desire to visit Iceland someday, though!
Miglė Keliotytė
I thought I'll hate this book and I was absolutely wrong.
Varis
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ar šo slaveno islandieša autora darbu es nesapratos. Varbūt vainojamas ir ļoti augstās ekspektācijas, izlasot slavinošās recenzijas, varbūt kas pazudis tulkojumā.
Helēna Spridzāne
Just so beautiful and dreamy! My favorite book from now on. :)

I will definitely read it many times more.
Jessica Eleuteri
bellissimo romanzo e un pò strano
Sara
May 15, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
It completely lacks structure in the narrative

• Salka Valka
  • Óreiða á striga
  • From the Mouth of the Whale
  • Himnaríki og helvíti
  • Undantekningin - de arte poetica
Einar Már Guðmundsson received a B.A. in Comparative Literature and History from the University of Iceland in 1979, after which he moved to Copenhagen to do graduate work in Comparative Literature at the University of Copenhagen.

Einar's first book, the collection of poetry Er nokkur í kórónafötum hér inni? (Is Anyone Here Wearing the Korona Line?), appeared in 1980. In 1985 he received first prize
“Naravno, ja razumem stvarnost isto toliko slabo koliko i ona mene razume. U tom pogledu smo kvit. Meni stvarnost, međutim,ne duguje objašnjenje, a ja joj, evo, odužujem svoje.
Bilo bi, u svakom slučaju,lepo kada bih mogao da odgovorim kao nemački filozof Hegel kada je neko primetio da njegova učenja nisu u skladu sa činjenicama: ‘ Tim gore po činjenice.’
Tako mogu da pišu pesnici.
Tako mogu da govore filozofi.
Ali mi,koje šalju u ludnice i smeštaju u kojekakve ustanove, mi nemamo odgovor kad nam se ideje ne podudaraju sa stvarnošću, jer su u našem svetu drugi u pravu i drugi znaju kada neko nije.”
2 likes
“Така че има разсъдък в безразсъдството. Когато донасям на Бьоси кафе и парче коледен пай, да не говорим за случаите, когато му свивам и цигара, тогава го залива спокойствие, такова блажено спокойствие. Никога не съм имал проблеми, когато съм го къпал, и никога не ми е налитал, макар да е посягал да убие няколко лекари. Значи това е то разсъдъкът в безразсъдството. Ако всички са лоши с теб, не ти остава никой, с когото да бъдеш добър. Пациентите разбират това. Макар че са умствено увредени, сърцата им бият като на всички други.” 1 likes