Start by marking “Kill My Mother” as Want to Read:
Kill My Mother

Kill My Mother

(Kill My Mother)

Adding to a legendary career that includes a Pulitzer Prize, an Academy Award, Obie Awards, and Lifetime Achievement Awards from the National Cartoonist Society and the Writers Guild of America, Jules Feiffer now presents his first noir graphic novel. Kill My Mother is a loving homage to the pulp-inspired films and comic strips of his youth. Channeling Eisner's The Spirit, ...more
Published August 25th 2014 by Liveright

To ask other readers questions about Kill My Mother, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

David Schaafsma
Sep 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: gn-crime
The reason this was popular this past year is because Jules Feiffer is the author. Feiffer got his fame from doing children's book and other illustrations, screenplays, plays, so people of a certain age would be interested in his first real graphic novel, a kind of homage to the noir age of Chandler, Hammett, Eisner, Hawks, Huston, etc. And at first glance it's exciting to see, especially if you see his signature drawing style, quick sketchy and airy.. the book jacket says inspired by Steven Can ...more
Kimberly [Come Hither Books]
Kill My Mother is a confusing, nonsensical mess. The story takes every noir element imaginable, knots them together into an incomprehensible jumble, and keeps going for 150 pages.

Poor character design means that it’s nearly impossible to tell the characters apart, especially the three tall, leggy blonde femme fatales. For most of the book, I had no idea who was doing what to whom, which quickly led to a case of not caring what happened to any of them.

One positive thing I will say for the artwork
Astrid Langeveld
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Er stond voor mijn boekenchallenge lees een graphic novel. Ik moest eerst even googlen wat voor boeken dat zijn. Ik had er nog nooit van gehoord. Dit boek is een ballonstrip in zwart en wit. Het is niet een makkelijk stripverhaal. Je moet er echt je hoofd bij houden om te weten wat de relatie is tussen de personen. Ik ben aangenaam verrast en ga zeker nog een keer een graphic novel lezen. Toen ik dit boek in leverde bij de bieb keek de medewerkster van de bieb erin en we gingen een gesprek aan. ...more
Melissa
Oct 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Well! This is a doozy. Noir-ish private detectives, alcohol abuse, blackmail, shoplifting, war zones, and lesbianism - what else? I wish there was a tidy Latin word that meant "hating your mom." I would have appreciated it if just one of the female characters with giant doe eyes & similar hairstyles had been a brunette; at some point it got a little difficult to tell one freakishly tall blonde from the next. Other than that, well worth it.
Stewart Tame
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
The jacket flap description claims this is noir, but I would dispute that. It takes some of its inspiration from noir, yes, but so many of the tropes associated with the genre are nonexistent here. I'd say it's more farce than anything. Part of it may be that Jules Feiffer doesn't really have a noir drawing style. You want someone who can really rock the shadows and 30's clothing styles--Frank Miller, Gene Colan, Alex Toth, someone like that ... Feiffer's angst-ridden scratchy linework just does ...more
Emilia P
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic-books
This commits many of the cardinal graphic novel sins that make a bad graphic novel, and yet somehow it was a favorite of 2014 for far too many folks. Number one is that it has no flow to the layout -- it's a comic book written by a picture book illustrator, and feels like such, clunky, too much space taken up by static illustrations. Number two is that OH MY GOODNESS all the characters look the damn same. And honestly, their motives and their personalities are not enough to distinguish them. Not ...more
Adriana Scarpin
Na verdade eu queria ler Você é Minha Mãe? da Alison Bechdel mas não o consegui encontrar nas minhas pilhas de livros, por isso resolvi ler esta HQ mesmo. Rá!
É uma boa transposição do clima noir do cinema para os quadrinhos e dá mesmo para identificar a influência de todos aqueles diretores que o autor cita no ínicio, mas nada além de um trabalho correto.
Courtney
This is actually a difficult one to write a review of. I enjoyed reading it, but I'm not 100% certain I caught all the nuances. We've got multiple time periods, a trio of femme fatales the all kind of look alike, perpetually drunk private investigators, old Hollywood, a whip-smart heroine and her angry-crazy daughter. It begins in the '30's and ends up a decade later during WWII. It's a very involved story and any synopsis I could provide would do a disservice. In fact, there were many points wh ...more
Elizabeth A
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014, graphix
From the book blurb: Kill My Mother centers on five formidable women from two unrelated families, linked fatefully and fatally by a has-been, hard-drinking private detective.

I found this a confusing graphic novel, partly because I simply could not tell the women apart. While I really liked the sketchy artwork, the story was too choppy for my tastes.
Andrew
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, crime
Even if you don't know the name, you know Jules Feiffer's art from his decades of editorial cartooning and children's book illustrations, most notably his iconic drawings for "The Phantom Tollbooth." He also wrote the screenplay to Robert Altman's oddball "Popeye" movie, which is a fun bit of trivia. It's a remarkable achievement that Feiffer is still cartooning at such a high level even in his 80's. His artwork is scratchy, distinctive, and as full of life as ever in "Kill My Mother," which is ...more
G.
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Got a limited edition signed by Jules at BEA. Classic noir with plenty of twists, bold B&W drawings (which sometimes makes all the dames slightly confusing in the beginning), funny, sarcastic, biting and all Jules. He says he's working on a sequel to this. If you're into noir and Feiffer, this is your book.
Teresa Bateman
Jul 03, 2014 rated it liked it
I got an Advanced Reading Copy of the book from the publisher. I have enjoyed Jules Feiffer's work in the past, finding he has a cleverness with wordplay, and a unique world view. My experience, however, has been in his his children's fiction genre, so perhaps I was unprepared for this clearly adult graphic novel. It takes its characters from the 30's into the war years and what characters they are! A girl who resents her mother, a private eye who's the epitome of the noir genre and dies from a ...more
Melissa Chung
Jan 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Very strange story. Solid 3 stars. Was entertaining, but not super amazing. It has a blurb on the front by Neil Gaiman, but I just found it okay.

Kill My Mother, starts off in Bay City 1933. It's a story about a brat of a girl named Annie who hates her mother Elsie. Elsie goes to work for an asshole of a guy named Neil Hammond who used to work with her late husband. Annie resents her mother for never being home. Elsie tries to impress her daughter by trying to find her husband killer. She is alwa
Mike
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
4 stars for the 1933 section, and 5 stars for the look of the art, but the second half of this book, which takes a 10 year leap in time, takes a narrative swerve that kills the momentum and the believability of the events within. Too bad, because the art is really phenomenal.
Carlos De Eguiluz
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"'Kill My Mother' es una historia de mujeres."

Me fue imposible no echarle un vistazo a la historia recomendada por Neil Gaiman, Art Spiegelman, Chris Ware y Stan Lee. Básica pero brillante, un compendio de lo típico de la clásica novela negra, bello desarrollo de personajes y visualmente placentera.
So you guys know that I don't read too many graphic novels. When I do, they are award winners or something that a friend recommends strongly. My community college library purchased this adult graphic novel based on a review somewhere, but it hasn't been checked out yet. It's been on display, too.

The problem? I don't see the teen appeal other than the title. The homage to noir threw me off. I've read a few pulp detective novels, but I was just confused on this one. Feiffer is a great artist--he'
Uwe Hook
Sep 23, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm not particularly fond of graphic novels and "Kill my mother" didn't change my opinion.

The story is as dizzying as some of Feiffer’s drawings, with numerous and occasionally confusing surprises and contortions, including the killing of a mother in the past. And while the reader feels a certain urgency to understand what the hell is going on, once the various truths and reasons for hatred are revealed it all seems rather absurd and confusing.

It’s hard to know what to make of Feiffer’s women
Zedsdead
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Zedsdead by: ?
A sociopathic teenage girl wants to kill her mother for having the gall to get a job after her father died. A blonde woman hires a private investigator to find and kill another blonde woman. Some other blonde women are homeless, and mute, and do some acting, and work for the aforementioned PI, but I don't know who they are or even how many because they all look alike.

I threw in the towel 73 pages in when I picked the book up and realized I had no idea who I was looking at or what was going on.

On
Raina
Apr 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, graphicnovel, gltbq
Yeah, it was fine. I don't have as special-of-a-spot in my heart for Feiffer as many of my generation. I've always found his stuff more scrawly and angular than I dig. And noir isn't an aesthetic that I particularly relate to either (though I do like mysteries, as a rule, as well as film industry stories). Ultimately, I had kind of a hard time telling the characters apart, and my mind wandered while reading it.

Yay more (famous) people trying the GN form, though! I'll give it an extra star for th
Sara
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
While the title is compelling, this was just... bizarre. There were a few panels that were visually appealing, but most of the illustrations just look like you knocked over a sewing-scraps-bin and a mug of tea. Most of the characters were awful people, and didn't redeem themselves with their actions... so the big redemption scenes at the end seemed rushed and pretty forced.

All in all, this just left me with a raised eyebrow and a vaguely unsettled feeling.
Ashley
May 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: books-i-own
Such good reviews in places. Neil gaiman liked it...so i really wanted to. I just did not get the appeal. It was all over the place.

Flow of pannels was hard to follow and all the female characters were drawn so similarly it got confusing.
Erin Tuzuner
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016, graphic-novels
Smeary, bleary story(?) that becomes a pastiche and satire of noir simultaneously.
Emma
I kept mixing up all the characters, and found the plot confusing/insubstantial. I like his drawings, but so many of the people looked like each other...
Edward Sullivan
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
A quite clever and entertaining tribute to film noir and hard-boiled private detective stories. Check out the dedication page to see the great authors and filmmakers to whom Feiffer pays homage.
Joe Kraus
Nobody draws like Jules Feiffer. I offer that, initially, as simple fact rather than evaluation. You can recognize his drawings instantly, the loose, flying lines and the sense of movement distinguish his work from every other “political cartoonist” (he was never quite that), humorist (again, not quite his bag), or illustrator I can think of. When he gives us a drawing, he does something no one else seems quite to be doing.

I know his work best, like most people I imagine, from his Village Voice
Rebecca
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jules Feiffer has an interesting sense of humor, but when you combine that with a story from years gone by and throw in the noir detective stuff, it is hilarious and kind of kinky. Hard to tell exactly what he is making fun of at all times. Even the dedication may be a little tongue in cheek.
Sydney
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
No other review counts. This story is amazing and I loved every second. There are a lot of characters, but they're all beautifully crafted and full of depth. This one ended in tears.
Jamie Jones Hullinger
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Liked the art but that is about it.
Anne Marie Sweeney
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I love the noir feel of this graphic novel but the plot was a little too all over the place for me to love it. And sometimes i couldn’t tell the characters apart - at times they all looked like melted ice cream. And that’s not right.
Jessica Rotenberg
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2017
It’s only ok. I found the story very difficult to follow because the characters all looked the same to me. This is generally something I struggle with but I’m able to follow every other graphic novel I’ve tried and these characters do resemble each other. The art is beautiful. The story had potential. I just couldn’t explain it to you if I tried.
Feiffer podcast 1 6 Nov 19, 2014 06:03PM
  • Weapons of Mass Diplomacy
  • Lady Killer, Vol. 2 (Lady Killer, #2)
  • The Professor's Daughter
  • Hand-Drying in America and Other Stories
  • The Kitchen
  • Helheim: The Witch War, Volume 1
  • Filmish: A Graphic Journey Through Film
Jules Feiffer is the acclaimed author-illustrator of several books for children, including BARK, GEORGE; MEANWHILE . . .; and I LOST MY BEAR; and the illustrator of THE PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH, by Norton Juster. Jules Feiffer is also a renowned editorial cartoonist, playwright, novelist, and screenwriter. He has been the recipient of an Academy Award, a Pulitzer Prize, a London Theatre Critics Award, an ...more

Kill My Mother (3 books)