Start by marking “Skin and Bones” as Want to Read:
Skin and Bones

Skin and Bones

3.46  ·  Rating details ·  974 Ratings  ·  139 Reviews
Sixteen-year-old Jack, nicknamed "Bones," won't eat. His roommate in the eating disorder ward has the opposite problem and proudly goes by the nickname "Lard." They become friends despite Bones's initial reluctance. When Bones meets Alice, a dangerously thin dancer who loves to break the rules, he lets his guard down even more. Soon Bones is so obsessed with Alice that he' ...more
Published March 1st 2014 by Albert Whitman Company (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Skin and Bones, please sign up.
Jada
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Debbie Narh
good

Eating Disorders are something that I know a lot about because they have impacted my life in such a harsh way. So I expected to be able to relate to Jack's story yet I couldn't at all. It all felt very flimsy and rushed, nothing is properly explained and the characters are so choppy with the ever-present insta-love. Nonetheless, I liked the ending solely because it's not necessarily a typical one.

Skin and Bones biggest problem has to be how unrealistic it is. The ICU unit in this is really rela
Liza
Sep 15, 2016 rated it did not like it

So I will state upfront, I have some knowledge of eating disorders but I am no means an expert. However, at the same time I feel like I have a pretty good amount of knowledge to realize what is wrong with this book.

Going in, I was excited about the concept. A male anorexic in an in-patient ward of a hospital. I was excited to see how it would be portrayed and whatnot.

And then I started reading...

This book suffers from many a things that makes me want to chuck it across the room.

There are two man
Brandi Kosiner (Brandi Breathes Books)
3.5
I wanted to read Skin and Bones because I am drawn to books about teens with issues, especially eating disorders. It impacted my family and reading about it is therapeutic for me. I also haven't read many books from the male perspective of eating disorders and was drawn to that unique element.
While there are differences in how men and women see their bodies, the disease has a lot of overlap in effecting them. There have been events that really made Jack insecure about his body and it star
Dustin Spencer
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Skin and Bones is a story very rarely told, an anorexic who uses exercise, and doesn't really purge by throwing up. It also tells the story of a boy who is suffering from Anorexia, a rare find in stories dealing with eating disorders. Now, despite the heavy, sometimes difficult to talk about subject matter of the book it was a fast read. The issues were addressed in a manner that was appropriate for a teenager but was not too simple to be insulting. In my opinion, the best part of this book was ...more
Cindy Hudson
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jack is in a program for people with eating disorders because his parents want him to be there. He knows the truth: his thin frame looks good and he could even stand to lose a few pounds. Jack has been obsessed about his weight ever since middle school when a store clerk assessed his size and handed him a pair of “husky” jeans. He doesn’t think he needs to change.

As he gets to know the other members in his six-week, live-in program he sees people who are just as obsessed with food as he is, some
Bryce
May 04, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
“Bones” is an in-patient facility for those suffering from eating disorders, sent by his family in the hopes that this time he will be able to “cure” his anorexia. While in treatment, he meets Alice, a ballerina who spends as much time in the ICU as out of it, due to her use of laxatives, diuretics and tricks to outwit the hospital’s doctors. Bones thinks she’s perfect.

Does it make me a terrible person if I hated this book? Because I did. I hated it. I want to feel bad for these characters, bec
Amy's Book Reviews
Grade: F

Jack, AKA Bones, checks into apparently the worst eating disorders unit on the planet during his summer vacation to fast track his recovery from anorexia. He rooms with the only other make on the unit, Lard. He falls in love with the nearly dead ballerina Alice, who is allowed to dance in her room between heart attacks. Aside from allowing body shaming nicknames like Bones and Lard on the unit, which is run by one doctor and nurse who must work 24 hrs a day, the patients grow pot on the
Bruce Gargoyle
Full review at: http://thebookshelfgargoyle.wordpress...

I received an egalley of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Ten second synopsis:
Anorexic lad Bones spends time in an inpatient program for teens with eating disorders. He is befriended by Lard, bewitched by Alice and learns that being comfortable in his own skin is as innovative an idea as cooking your dinner in the dishwasher.

The standout factor of this book is the way in which it presents the preva
Sally Kruger
Anorexia, bulimia, and compulsive overeating take center stage in SKIN AND BONES by Sherry Shahan. This book takes readers into the world of eating disorders where Jack "Bones" and David "Lard" are attempting to identify the demons that have taken over the food portion of their lives.

Bones is anorexic. His fear of gaining weight has become a threat to his physical health. An offhand comment from a sales person years ago triggered his eating disorder, and now his family is concerned that things a
Michelle
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shahan’s book focuses on teenage eating disorders, but earns it’s distinction in that the main character struggling with anorexia, is male- Jack (aka: Bones). His “sidekick” throughout the book is a boy on the opposite end of the eating spectrum, who has nicknamed himself Lard, as he says it is better to give yourself the nickname then let others dictate it. So often, young adult fiction that zeros in on the world of eating disorders focuses only on the anorexia/bulimia side of that world and wi ...more
Aniqa
Feb 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was written well enough but to be completely honest, a lot of the events and characters annoyed me. A few of the events in the book seemed a little over dramatic and over-exaggerated. Jack was an ok character to follow and his love for Alice was sweet but to me, it seemed as if he fell in love with her way too fast. Lard was probably my favorite character, his comments were funny and I just love his personality. His relationship with Teresa was again, sweet but I really dislike how all ...more
Grace
Mar 30, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I really wanted to finish this one. I feel a little bad for putting it down, given what an important topic it is, especially giving boys who deal with this some attention, but this was bad. So, so bad. It was honestly shameful the way it called people who have bulimia instead of anorexia “disgusting.” I wish the author had handled the subject matter better. Young men deserve representation with matters like this, and I hope someone else will take up a topic like this and respectfully address it.
-RadioActiveBookWorm-
I really liked this book. and I know that there are some bad reviews of it floating around, but dont listen to them until you read it for yourself. honestly, I was expecting a sappy boring book about a kid with anorexia, but this book was awesome. not once while reading it did I think, man this is boring. it Sucked me in from the very beginning. definitely check it out if you can. I got my copy from netgalley.com. (:
Ellianna Ward
It was great but I feel like it didn't cover as much inner battle for bones as I would've liked to see. Love the characters and the friendships made though.
lila
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-tbr
2.5

Eeeeeeugh manic pixie dream girl g a l o r e
Chloe-Louise Finch
Skin and bones by Sherry Shahan. This book was published in 2014. it is 270 pages long. The book was told in a third person point of view.
Skins and bones was inspired by a short story sherry worte called ''iris and jim''

The book is about a teenager called jack, who is 16 and has anorexia. he spends the summer in a eating disorder ward. he befriends both his overweight roommate and a dangerously thin dancer. When Bones meets Alice, who loves to break the rules, he lets his guard down even more.
Jadyn
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Sherry Shahan's fictional book, “Skin and Bones” she gives her readers a very real look at the struggles that kids with eating disorders have to face everyday. Her book tells a story of a young boy named Jack who is admitted into a hospital EDU when his anorexia begins to control how he lives his life. Jack’s roommate, “Lard” who has a binge eating disorder helps guide him through tough times and work together to overcome their similar complications and become best friends. “Skin and Bones” i ...more
Rachel Foley
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, ya-contemporary
I have wanted to read this book for so long, and I finally got around to enjoying it. It was really nice to see anorexia from a male perspective, because it’s not really talked about or portrayed anywhere else.

I really loved Skin and Bones. I feel in love with the characters, the story kept me enthralled from the first word to the last. However I did have a few issues with it.

1. The “romance” between Alice and Bones. Okay... I really wanted to see them together, to a certain extent. I wanted to
Andy
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ummm... I’m kind of torn on this one. I can sympathize (been there, not for eating disorders, but other disorders:-)), and I think I like the overall tone and approach to the novel, but honestly, it feels like too much too quick. The relationship, the defense, the offense, etc. Deep down I think there’s more accuracy to the story than i think, but maybe in my old age (40!) I’m more cynical than I was when I went through the same thing (15!).

Anyway, Alice is a pretty hard character to like, but
Breanna Dailing
Jul 16, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is SO triggering if you have or have had an eating disorder. Full of tips and tricks, this book almost promotes the behaviors of people with eating disorders. No book should EVER do something like that! I honestly couldn't get through a chapter without wanting to relapse with my own eating disorder because the whole unit they're on in the book is a total scam. It's not designed to get you better, it's designed for your downfall. This book was not great and I do not recommend anyone pic ...more
Hailey Boggs
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I fell in love with this book. It is about teenagers with eating disorders, and how no matter what you have going on in your life you can still find love and be loved. There is a lot happening during this book, and the only way to fall in love with it is to read it.
A. Musquiz
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 stars. Review coming soon
Zoe
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An accurate representation of Anorexia, but poorly constructed plot.
Tyley Jeanneret

Going into this book I was ready to either rip it apart or be thoroughly impressed by it. I was excited that the main character happened to be male which is a very nice change in stories about eating disorders. It turns out that I don’t love it but I don’t hate it either.
I feel like I am a rather good person to judge how realistic the attitudes and representation of an eating disorder are portrayed because I am someone who has had an eating disorder for a while now and is anorexic. This being
Vivian Shepard
Skin and Bones by Sherry Shahan was a pretty good book. I enjoyed it not only because it was informational about eating disorders, such as compulsive eating, anorexia, and bulimia, but it followed a love story and mystery. The book went through a series of sad, happy, and suspicious which all added to the story line of the book. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a quick read but who also like learning about real life problems in the form of a story.
Julie
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Title: Skin and Bones
Author: Sherry Shahan
Rating: 4/5
**Trigger warning: eating disorders**

Shahan's Young Adult novel is about two very unlikely friends and their journey through their stay at the EDU, the Eating Disorder Unit. Bones, nicknamed so because of his anorexia and overly thin body, must room with Lard, a compulsive overeater. Then, Bones meets Alice, a young ballerina who is constantly in and out of treatment because of severe anorexia. He falls in love with her, and they begin to shar
Clare Martin
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abby
Jun 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
In a wonderful twist on a YA story about eating disorders, Sherry Shahan addresses a multitude of hard-to-hear but important issues in an easy-to-read, 274 novel. Meet Jack, also known as "Bones," a teenager with anorexia. Bones enters into the world of an inpatient hospitalization program where he attempts to regain his control over food, shed his eating disorder, and learn to be at peace with a healthy lifestyle. While reluctant at first, Jack befriends his very overweight roommate (who dubs h ...more
Natalie Monroe
I really hate reviewing books like these—they're not bad but it didn't make me leap for joy either.

Skin and Bones is about an anorexic called Jack a.k.a Bones and basically his life after he checks into a recovery facility.

First off, kudos to the author for writing a male anorexic as opposed to the generic female one. They're hopelessly underrepresented in literature and society alike and I admire her for walking the road less traveled and show that guys suffer from anorexia too.

And the author
Kimi (Geeky Chiquitas)
Originally posted at Geeky Chiquitas

Jack is an anorexic who checks into an recovery facility. He becomes friends with Lard (his name isn't actually Lard), his roommate, who is a compulsive eater and soon nicknames himself "Bones". He goes through a lot of challenges, befriends other patients in the facility, and finds himself falling in love.

First of all, I would like to congratulate the author for writing a book wherein the main character is a male anorexic. Most books about anorexia have a fem
  • The Devil in the Corner
  • Painless
  • A Trick of the Light
  • Positive: One Doctor's Personal Encounters with Death, Life, and the US Healthcare System
  • Biggie
  • These Dark Wings (Ravenmaster Trilogy #1)
  • V for Violet
  • Sing Sweet Nightingale (The Dream War Saga, #1)
  • A Different Me
  • Charmed Deception
  • In Darkling Wood
  • The Witch's Kiss (The Witch's Kiss, #1)
  • Split the Sun (Inherit the Stars #2)
  • Summerlong
  • Coaltown Jesus
  • Moonlands
  • The Romantics
  • Fourth Down and Inches: Concussions and Football's Make-Or-Break Moment

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Vengeance Road
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Can you tell me why you added weight to your gown?" Dr. Chu asked.
Another trick question.
Bones shrugged. "I wanted you to think I was gaining weight."
Dr. Chu nodded. "We need accurate records for every patient."
(Our job is to make sure you gain as much weight as possible while you're here.)
Dr. Chu leafed through Bones's file, checking off little boxes. "Since you lost weight--even with two stainless steel knives sewn into your gown, it's obvious you've been purging. Either by vomiting or--"
(We have closed-circuit cameras and hidden microphones in your room.)
"Or engaging in unauthorized exercise."
(Bingo!)
"I know this may be difficult," Dr. Chu said. "But the nutritionist and I have decided to raise your calories."
(We won't be satisfied until you resemble a scrap-fed hog.)
"Are you listening to me son?'
Bones's eyeballs hurt from so much nodding. "Yes, sir."
(Fuck you!)
"One-hundred calories isn't as bad as it sounds." Dr. Chu dropped his voice, forcing Bones to learn forward in his chair. "That's it for now.”
1 likes
“But the truth stretched out in front of him; loving her hadn't been enough. Not enough for her.” 1 likes