Start by marking “Anna & Solomon” as Want to Read:
Anna & Solomon

Anna & Solomon

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  117 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
In 1897, a young man named Solomon fell in love with and married a beautiful young woman named Anna. They lived in Russia, which was dangerous at that time for a Jewish family, so Solomon moved to the United States, where he worked and saved until he had enough money to send Anna a ticket for the  voyage across the ocean. But when Solomon went to meet Anna’s ship, Anna’s y ...more
Published May 20th 2014 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Anna & Solomon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anna & Solomon

Barbara
Charming is the perfect word to describe this story of a true love that survives separation, immigration, and disappointment. When the author's grandparents decide that they can only afford for one of them to leave Russia during the czar's persecution of the Jews, Solomon sets off for America and promises to send money for Anna's passage. Time passes, but he is disappointed, time and again, when Anna sends other family members in her place. I loved the story, the self-sacrifice, and the way the ...more
Ksenia
May 06, 2014 added it
Shelves: publicist-books
The beauty of this picture book is that it reads like a fiction picture book, when in actuality it is based on Elaine Snyder’s own family experience. Even though the events took place over a century ago, the story can be seen as a reflection of immigrant families today and their experience. And as an immigrant myself, I can totally relate!
Amy
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Anna and Solomon is a sweet story about hardship, perseverance, patience, and love. When their lives are threatened because of their Jewish beliefs, Solomon leaves for the United States to create a life for the couple. He works hard and saves his money in hopes of having Anna with him as soon as possible. She sends over most of her family before she comes herself. Very sacrificial...something I don't think I could do.
Harry Bliss is one of my favorite illustrators, so it was great to experience
Ruth Anne
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
A true and loving story of a Jewish couple who fled Russia and immigrated to the United States in 1897. As they had just enough money to buy only one passage to the new country, Solomon came alone. He saved his money and sent for Anna, and she selflessly sent other members of her family before she came herself. The Author's Note explains that this is the true story of her grandparents and includes a few photographs of them. This book would enhance a young reader's study of immigration and make i ...more
Chris
Immigration, whether it happened over a hundred years ago or now, is still the story of people moving from one country to another. So even though the true story of Anna & Solomon happened 1n 1897, we can certainly relate today. And although this is the story of a loving Jewish couple, it could be the story of any couple of any religion or culture. And this story has a bit of a twist to it....a twist which shows Solomon's patience and love for Anna!
Mary
This is a good story to learn about immigration in America from one family's perspective. Not everything comes easily to people, and this story is no exception. However, it ends well! Lovely pictures and cultural references. Best for audiences with longer attention spans.
Cara Byrne
Nov 15, 2016 rated it liked it
A story of sacrifice and hardship in order to achieve the "American dream"
Maggie
Oct 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-lit
Genre: Biographical nonfiction
Reading Level: Middle Grades (4-5)
I felt the author did a fantastic job of introducing this true story. It was a great story that showed off how a man's hard work had gotten him and his family to America. I did get mad at Anna sending her family over before she came to America to be with Solomon. I felt it was good to see the time and what a lot of people like Anna and Solomon went through.
Kaila Anderson
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: el-ed-340
Biography. Simple picture book about the journey of Russian immigrants to America around the early 1900s.
Celeste_pewter
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I first heard about Anna and Solomon while looking through Macmillan's spring catalogue, and I completely fell in love with the description of the book. So when I was given the chance to read it, I absolutely jumped at it!

Snyder does a great job of sharing the real (!) story of her ancestors. She charmingly details the wedding of Anna and Solomon, and how they were willing to temporarily part from each other, so Solomon could help them begin a life in America.

Younger readers will undoubtedly be
Elisabeth
1) I connect to this story very strongly because my family history is important to me. The author’s grandparents, Anna and Solomon, came to the U.S. in the 1898, while my great-grandfather came in 1909. He immigrated from England by himself when he was just 17. I never met my great-grandfather, but I’ve heard many stories about his journey and life. Just like Anna and Solomon, he went through Ellis Island. Immigration stories are very close to my heart.

2) This book is culturally specific because
Lynn
Aug 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
This story shows how we all have a story to tell - if not about ourselves, then about someone in our family. Told in chronological order and covering a number of years, the text gives sufficient details but does not overwhelm. Perfect for elementary students.
Illustrations need to be carefully examined to see the cultural differences - a careless reader might not notice the details that give this a Russian setting (even though it says that in the first line of the story). Some pages are set on a
Maria Ambrosini
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of my favorites! Anna and Solomon just got married but are having to migrate to the United States because of all the dangers of living in Russia and being Jewish in 1897 had. This book is geared more towards higher grades in elementary school because it has a lot of vocabulary plus the storyline goes back and forth which could be difficult of younger readers to understand. In this story they just used a Jewish family, but that is just one example of a group of people that migrat ...more
Haley Barber
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Text to Self- In my college English class I meet a peers with similar stories to Solomon. Family members leave for American and then come once there was enough money for the rest to come to American they did so.

Text to Text- Coming to America: The Story of Immigration by Betsy Maestro (Author), Susannah Ryan (Illustrator), both stories are about coming to American and their life.

Text to World- Throughout history many people have immigrated to America. America is made up of immigrants and peopl
Nick
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I think this would be a good picture book for older kids, to help explain the immigrant experience. It is also based on the true story of the author's grandparents, and the book is illustrated by the author's son-in-law, who happens to be a very experienced illustrator.
The end product is a real treat for those who are interested in family stories.
For me the only weakness in the story was the rather flat emotional reaction of Solomon at each of the disappointments he faced. That seemed odd. Still
Romelle
This is a true story of author Elaine Snyder's grandparents' immigration from Russia to the U.S. in 1897. It is a fascinating story of patience, understanding, and love. I'm a sucker for true family stories so this captured my attention. The anticipation of the arrival of Anna's ship and the excitement and hope of Solomon is a page-turner. Not sure children would enjoy this, but I did.
Amy
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
The true story of the author's grandparents and their immigration to the United States. It is a sweet, albeit frustrating, story of not just true love between a husband and wife but with an entire extended family!
Pamela Powell
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-nonfiction
Absolutely beautiful picture book that tells the true story of Simon and Annie and how they come to America from Russia. Charming illustrations and words. This is a great book for younger students to begin the discussion of immigration.
June
Oct 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Jewish and immigration requests
Recommended to June by: capitolchoices.org
Based on the true story of the author's grandparents. Maybe a 3.5. Solomon immigrates to America, but when he sends money for Anna, she sends other members of her family first. (Not sure why she couldn't go first and then send money for the rest?)
Faith Hough
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I must remember this if I ever want to write a non-fiction narrative picture book. Very well done.
Alice
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's the backstory here that makes this book sparkle.
Whitney Rachel
Jul 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
What a heart-warming tale.
Ampersand Inc.
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
From Morgen:
****
From Ali:
***
Edward Sullivan
Charming story about the journey of the author's grandparents from turn of the century Russia (present-day Belarus) to New York.
Sharon Lawler
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
The story of one family's struggle and sacrifice to bring everyone to the US over a period of years.
Rachel
A nice personal family story, which gives it lots of connections to other books, like Say's Grandfather, the illustrations were a little flat.
Mayas