Start by marking “You Can't Put God in a Box: Thoughtful Spirituality in a Rational Age” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
You Can't Put God in a...

Kelly Besecke

You Can't Put God in a Box: Thoughtful Spirituality in a Rational Age

The advent of modernity brought with it a crisis of faith. Science had upended the religious certainties of earlier eras, and believers in the West were cast adrift. Some turned to a strident fundamentalism while, more recently, growing numbers have shunned religion altogether.
In You Can't Put God In a Box, Kelly Besecke offers a fascinating examination of people who have
Published May 14th 2014 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about You Can't Put God in a Box, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Can't Put God in a Box

Start your review of You Can't Put God in a Box: Thoughtful Spirituality in a Rational Age
Pamela Pickering
This was a book club pick. One of our members was mentioned in the acknowledgements. I have to say I was never so happy to get a humdinger of a cold to not have to read it. I made it through the acknowledgements, preface, and Chapter 1 and that was it. I would compare it to a doctoral thesis. I think it would be helpful as areference for part of a religious discussion class but as far as one type for our itty bitty informal book club I think it missed the audience. A fellow book club member read ...more
Ann Asel
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book resonated with my longstanding ambivalence about religion, my confusion about what I do and don't believe about the spiritual world, my disdain for fundamentalism, my curiosity and sometimes acceptance of other belief systems. It's all here. Reflexive Spirituality, pluralism, the works. This book liberates; it's okay that my belief system...well...can't be put in a box.
Ann Asel
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book insightful, fascinating and liberating in its clarification of reflexive spirituality. It embraces my mixture of emotion and confusion around spirituality and religion and helps me realize that others share a dynamic and eclectic view of our spiritual being. It stretches the mind and enriches the soul. I highly recommend.
Angela
Definitely purchasing this book! inspiring, educational, thought provoking, and beyond!
Janell Cohen Harper
May 07, 2014
Ann
Nov 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: bookclub
I found the topic interesting, but the writing was like reading a scholarly journal.
Steve Walker
Apr 27, 2019
Hugs
Nov 16, 2019
Kelly Besecke
Dec 12, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Deborah Reynolds