Start by marking “Memory's Hostage” as Want to Read:
Memory's Hostage

Memory's Hostage

In the England of 1883, the MacFarlane family has earned a reputation for being titans of the rail, coal, and textile industries. Elder brother Henry toes the line in all respects but younger brother Horace has allowed a shadow to fall on their spotless record with his dalliances with the ladies.

However, young Horace's escapades are shoved into the background when a much l
Paperback, 2nd, 252 pages
Published August 16th 2013 by Taste Life Twice Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Memory's Hostage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Memory's Hostage

Start your review of Memory's Hostage
Bethanne Bruninga-Socolar
Quick disclosure: I have interacted with the author a bit via her YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC315...) so I was predisposed to enjoy this book!

SPOILER-FREE review:
That said, this book checks so many boxes for a good time:
- strong, resilient heroine with a logical mind
- endearing amateur sleuths
- a saintly detective who risks his career to do what's right
- a slightly annoying upper-class lady (pretty brief appearance)
- set in 19th century Britain!
- unusual crime (hypnotism p
Tripfiction
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels-set-in-uk
Mystery in the England of Jane Austen...

Jane Austen’s England captured in this delightful mystery. A young lady is found naked in the bath of Henry McFarlane at Atwell (“near the East Coast of England”), Yorkshire. How has she come to be there, what is her history? But she cannot help as she has no memory, yet Alice as a name feels somewhat familiar…. Horace, dashing brother to Henry is tasked with researching the background, is it sinister, what could her story possibly be? One intervention mig
Jeremy Fee
Oct 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, crime, historical
I know Margaret Pinard from YouTube, with her BookTube/AuthorTube channel and interacting in the comments of videos. With that in mind, it's possible I'm slightly biased with my opinion here as a 4.5 star read. I've also already read three of her other books, the Remnants trilogy, and greatly enjoyed them.

Most authors annoy me by spending about 40-60 pages before really hooking me into the story, but this book doesn't suffer from that quality. Instead, Margaret Pinard managed to hook me within t
Sheila
Set in England in 1883, Memory’s Hostage tells the story of a woman who awakens in a rich man’s house with neither clothing nor memory. The mystery deepens as family histories collide. Police hide the woman but, lacking knowledge of who she was, she determines to become a new person with skills and purpose. Sometimes those skills might reveal her past. Sometimes they lead to her future. And sometimes she’s being led by strangers waiting with evil intent.

The twists and turns of this story take re
Star Gater
Sep 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this. The story has a creepy element of hypnosis; however Pinard makes it work. At no point did I think cheesy. She ties all the loose ends up. This is her first novel, and I read it on my Kindle. The British English is different, and my Kindle picked up the translation. (This is the first time I really used the Kindle dictionary. I love my physical Websters, but know it doesn't have everything.) I'm impressed with this being her first. I enjoyed the story, and ultimately two reasons for f ...more
Suzanne
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this quite a bit! I don't actually like mysteries, but a friend wrote this so of course I had to read it immediately. (disclaimer: I know the author, but this is a legit review; if I had not liked it I would not have reviewed it.) It kept me up later than I intended to finish it so I could find out what happened at the end. The characters are interesting, and the plot moves quickly with some good twists--there were a couple of real surprises, and a few things that seemed like they were ...more
John (Hey Y'all Listen Up)
I am familiar with the author from watching her YouTube channel.
This is the author's first published novel and it shows. I especially struggled with the first half. I found the constant changes of the point of view too jarring for me to get into a good reading rhythm. The writing does get better in the second half and I did enjoy the ending.
Jennifer W Broomfield
rated it did not like it
Feb 13, 2016
Rosalie Nelson
Jan 02, 2019
Valerie Ihsan
Nov 18, 2014
Keets
Aug 26, 2013
Margaret Pinard
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: written
Mary Mastrolia
Dec 08, 2017

• At the End of the World, Turn Left
  • The Sleep Tight Motel
  • Fog Descending (House of Crows, #2)
  • Circling the Drain (House of Crows, #3)
  • The Love Songs of W.E.B. Du Bois
  • White Chrysanthemum
  • Love the Way You Lie (House of Crows, #4)
  • The Dispatcher (The Dispatcher #1)
  • Daughter of the Morning Star (Walt Longmire, #17)
  • The James Miracle
  • Striking Range (Timber Creek K-9 Mystery, #7)
  • Over the Falls
  • Into The Lake
  • Stationary Bike
  • A Bright Young Thing
  • The Last House on Needless Street
  • The Mirror’s Truth (Manifest Delusions, #2)
  • Best in Snow (Andy Carpenter, #24)
Sign up to hear about Margaret's new releases here: http://eepurl.com/-9Hj1 and follow her on Patreon here: https://www.patreon.com/margaret_pinard

Margaret Pinard has spent her first few decades traveling the globe in search of adventures to incorporate into her writing, including living in the lands of the Celts, the cities of European fashion, and several dolce far niente Mediterranean cultures.