Start by marking “Like Gravity” as Want to Read:
Like Gravity

Like Gravity

Twenty year-old Brooklyn “Bee” Turner is no stranger to grief. After witnessing her mother’s brutal murder at age six, Brooklyn is guarded, damaged, and – by all accounts – a bitch. And that’s just the way she likes it, if it means keeping everyone at arm’s length.

When she stumbles, quite literally, into Finn Chambers – campus ladies’ man and the lead singer of a local ba
Published August 26th 2013 by Julie Johnson

To ask other readers questions about Like Gravity, please sign up.
Julie Johnson Hi Christine,

Hi Christine,

Yes! LIKE GRAVITY will be released on audio in just over a week on January 26th. :) You can find it here: http://www.amazon.com/Like-Gravity/dp... Thanks!(less)
Real by Katy EvansDriven by K. BrombergBully by Penelope DouglasCollide by Gail McHughBeautiful Bastard by Christina Lauren
Romance Debuts 2013
464 books — 4,138 voters
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireEasy by Tammara WebberFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesThoughtless by S.C. StephensWalking Disaster by Jamie McGuire
College Romance
1,302 books — 8,165 voters

More lists with this book...

Katerina
This book.. This book.. It's so, so good it hurts..

“Since the second you woke up in my arms on the sidewalk that day, it was only a matter of time until we got here, to this moment. We were inevitable. You know it. I know it.”

What would you do if your mother was murdered in front of you and you were the reason the man responsible went to prison? If your father didn't give a damn about you and you hated the pity in everyone's face? If your past prevented you from living in the present? Brook
Julie Johnson
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mine
EEEEEK! LIKE GRAVITY HAS A BEAUTIFUL NEW COVER!

So.... this is my book! Woohoo!

I just want to tell you guys that when I first published it, I was so nervous I pretty much felt like this for a solid week:

description

Okay, okay....and maybe a little bit like this, too:

description

But, now that I've heard from all of you lovely reviewers and read your wonderful words of encouragement and support, I feel much, much better. Kind of like this:

And this, too:

So I just want to say THANK YOU!!!! This has been an absolutely
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: love
4.5--Gravitating--Stars!!

Love discovering a new book from a new author!!!

I really loved this one...it was fairly typical/predicable for the NA/MA genre but did have a few twists. It also had the suspense element that isn't often found. I will say I figured most of the twists out but I still enjoyed the unfolding of the story just the same. This was very well-written for a first time author.

Brooklyn Turner was no stranger to grief. After witnessing the murder of her mother at the age of six she
Patrycja
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, reviewed

Like Gravity is one of this stories that pull you into the plot and never let you go. You are prisoned by amazingly well written story and sweet romance, every girl dreams of. I was really enjoying myself while reading Julie Johnson’s debut novel and I can’t wait for what she’ll come up with in the future. I laughed and I swooned while my heart was breaking for Brooklyn.
The story starts with 6 year old Brooklyn who was shopping with her mother. Unfortunately this usual trip to grocery store beca
Shannie's ⭐️Lookin' 4 My Next BBF⭐️
Wow.....what a pleasant surprise this book was. The twist I didn't fully see coming and I loved it!!!
TeriLyn
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
**I received this book from the author in exchange for my honest review.

Like Gravity is easily one of my favorite books of the year. 5+ stars for this debut novel from Julie Johnson. It was that phenomenal. Ms. Johnson’s writing style is so descriptive, colorful, and reflective that I felt as though I was a part of their lives through the entire book. In the epilogue, Ms. Johnson suggests that this love story isn’t just a love story between Finn and Brooklyn but a love story with Brooklyn and h
Mada Linx

Or ever...

DNF 20% No rating.
Nance
***POSSIBLE SPOILERS PRESENT WITHIN REVIEW***

This novel was amazing! I was so disappointed when it was over...it was that good!!! But, for once a stand-alone that ends so perfectly. I just loved the two main characters that Ms. Johnson created along with their loyal and true friends. There were so many profoundly exquisite thoughts and phrases referenced along with beautiful alluring songs mentioned that I found myself highlighting so many sentences within the text of this novel. So, many beauti
Mariam
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Wow.
That was amazing.
This book blew me away. I mean, I knew it was a good book, otherwise I wouldn’t have started it. But I didn’t know it was that good.
And the writing. Oh god, the writing. It was just –it was…
Freaking beautiful.
description
There was a scene, I think in chapter ten or eleven, that was so intense, so passionate and so beautiful that it felt like I held my breath. When it was over, I exhaled in a whoosh and I was like, wow, that was incredible.
You know it’s gonna be a damn good book when you
100sweet
Jul 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
DNF at 27%

This book had nothing you have not read a million times before. The h had a traumatic experience as a child that caused her to shut herself off from the world. Despite being an introvert, she has a bubbly, social, and slutty BF. They met in kindergarten when the BF proclaimed that they would be friends.The h does not date or wear a lot of makeup or dress really girly. Of course, this means the BF is always forcing her to dress in the BF's slutty clothes, go out, date guys, etc. The H i
Yomi M.
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Rating Clarification: 4.5 Stars

Yes, it was cheesy and predictable but it was exactly what I was looking for and I loved every minute of it.
Alissa Evanson
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
WORDS CANNOT DESCRIBE THE BEAUTY OF THIS BOOK..
I'm literally speechless...and if you know me...that never happens. The storyline captivating and beautiful. It was dark at some points and light and fun at others. I can't remember a time when I went from laughing to tears on a matter of paragraphs.
The writing is absolutely beautiful. The description of emotions is unlike anything I've read before. It took me a little longer than normal to read this book because I kept 're reading paragraphs or co
Nikki
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

Going to keep this fairly short. I really enjoyed this book. It had certain aspects of other books that I love with a hot and he knows it, lead singer..ahem Mr. Kellan Kyle. And some Mia Sheridan-esque stuff too (don't want to give it away). Were their twists and revelations you could see coming a mile away? You betcha. But that was just fine. Sometimes I like to not be toyed with by an author. I ain't gonna lie and say in books like that you better believe I skip ahead and pound on my Ki
Anne OK
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-reads
Oh how I love the way Julie Johnson writes a story! She brings it to life on the pages where every word, line, paragraph and page is written intelligently.

There’s a perfect blend of light and dark in both the dialogue and storyline, and the romance and suspense is well-balanced as well. Yes, you could say I absolutely loved “Like Gravity” and fell head over heels for Finn and Brooklyn or “Bee” as Finn lovingly calls her.

When a tragedy occurs on a trip to the supermarket, six-year old Brooklyn
Beth
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 Tell Me A Story Stars

Who doesn't want to be a princess? Most little girls dream of finding their prince. Living in a castle. Having a pet unicorn. Driving Barbie's Corvette. Yep. We all have big dreams when we are little. The stuff fairy tales are made of. Brooklyn had dreams too. But hers were more of the nightmare variety.

Brooklyn witnessed her mother murdered in the parking lot a grocery store when she was 6 years old. She went to a group home where she didn't speak a long time. Now she is
Kelli C ~ Jack Sawyer's Heart
4.5 unexpectedly happy stars...I have had my fair share of "Freebie" books that have ended with huge cliffhangers or just been iffy at best, so when I got this "free book rec" I was pretty fired up when I found this to be a really good complete read.

This book starts off with a bang, literally...a gut-wrenching, horrific wtf moment that sets the pace for the book. Brooklyn Turner was left homeless after a murder/carjacking ordeal leaves her alone traumatized as a young child. Memories are repress
Jess
I love the base plot. I love the idea that two lost little kids found salvation in one another, and grew to fall in love no matter the circumstances.

But I hate the main character. Brooklyn is the typical self-pitying, hypocritical, self-centered, and bitchy new adult who uses her past to excuse her actions. I have read about this type of character too many times, and I have grown weary of her. It annoyed me.

As for Finn, he was so sweet. His behavior during the entire novel doesn't match at all
Rachel
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was such a gem! I would say if you are a fan of Hopeless by Colleen Hoover, you will enjoy this book! You can totally see the twist coming a mile away, but as a reader you understand why it stayed hidden the way it did. I truly understood why Finn handled it the way he did. There was barely any angst and the drama was more towards the end. It was a truly beautiful and touching story. I enjoyed all of the characters. My only complaint is that I wanted more! I do agree with some readers ...more
StacyFace
Jun 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: womp-womp
Although I read this book in one day, I found myself picking it up and putting it down several times. The beginning of the book is so good that I found myself wondering how I got here while skimming the rest of the story.

I never connected with Brooklyn and as much as I like Finn I didn't really love him either. And the internal dialogue, MY GOD, I found myself praying for the book to just end already.

All the situations and plots and the big mystery were so very unrealistic. I scoffed, rolled my
Deborah
Wow!!! Just wow! I have no words. Amazing heartwarming story. The amazing twist I did not see coming at the beginning at all had me all but gasp when I figured it out. Loved this book!!!!
Amanda Creager
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is effing amazing! WHY aren't more people reading this?
Kellie Maddox-Ward
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm in awe!
I loooved it
Review to come!
Yvette (Booksandbandanas)
I'm currently in love with all things Julie Johnson.

How it took me so long to fall for her I'll never know.

Like Gravity! Gah. The feels. The tension. The suspense.
This book was not what I was expecting at all. Truthfully, I loved the story even more then I thought possible.

Oh Finn, can I have you?! He and Brooklyn meet in a very fall into you way. (Read to see what I mean.) Brooklyn was so relatable. I saw so much of myself in her, the pessimistic, negative, I will not ever rely on you way.
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!!!

“So, if you love him, I guess the only real question you have to ask yourself, the only question that matters is, at the end of the day, is he worth the suffering?”

I don't know how I missed this book when it first came out because I have been a huge fan of Julie Johnson and have read most of her books. It wasn't until I saw this book mentioned in a group I'm in, I thought I don't think I've read that one, and boy have I missed out.

“I was tired, so tired, of fighting my shadow e
Veronika's ReaderFeeder

Never, I mean NEVER could I imagine that there will be another book that I will love near as much like Hopeless by Colleen Hoover, but this book… This is pretty close. I loved it so much! The two stories are really similar but honestly – it doesn’t bother me. In this book it was not so hard to put together two and two (and maybe because of that, that it doesn’t hit so hard either), but I loved the book from the first page until the last. The characters of
CasPerfitz~SLiTsReaD
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5 or 4, kinda a bit confuse on how to rate this....

Story started off really sad, Brooke witnessed her mom getting shot in the head and she was only 6 years old...

Story moved 14 years later, where Brooke is all grown, damaged and closed up. She's a sophomore in College and lives with her funny bff Lexi.

Then there's super hot Finn, who came to her rescue one day, blue eyed and the lead singer of his own band, whom she is slowly falling for.

Then Brooke started to slowly let go....

Since mee
♥ Sarah
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Even better than Sara Bareille's, "Gravity." And that's saying a lot. So, go ahead. Read this for yourself and expect to be moved beyond words. Expect to want to cry, to want to tear your hair out, to throw the kindle across the room, then to cradle it lovingly in your arms, and to weep internally when it all comes to an end. Bee & Finn's "romance" was one hell of a ride, and though it was somewhat predictable, I loved every single minute I spent reading this book.

Take away point: Read. This
Aestas Book Blog
Jun 16, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: now
Bumping this one up my list since I loved another by this author. This is a standalone romantic suspense :)

It seems this one is about a girl who witnessed a brutal murder at a young age and has naturally keeps herself very guarded and doesn't let anyone in. But when she literally stumbles into Finn Chambers (campus rock star and ladies' man), "she’s unprepared for his persistence in befriending her..." As she begins to fall for him, an enemy from her past shows up and begins a "a deadly game o
Kristin
5 Stars are just not enough for this book! I don't even know what to read now. I'm having the worst case of book hangover that I've had in a very long time. Brooklyn and Finn's story, although ugly at times, is one of the most beautiful stories I've ever read! Their connection is so deep and the author has a gift for making you feel every emotion these two characters feel. I can't wait to see what Julie Johnson has in store for is next!!
  • Fighting
  • Brutal Precious (Lovely Vicious, #3)
  • Fighting Fate (Granton University, #1)
  • In This Moment
  • Winter (Four Seasons, #1)
  • This Much is True (Truth in Lies, #1)
  • Wicked Thing
  • Stupid Love (Stupid in Love, #3)
  • Pieces of Me (Cedar Mountain University, #1)
  • Keep You from Harm (Remedy, #1)
  • Devious Minds (Devious Minds, #1)
  • Finding Willow (Freedom, #0.5)
  • With This Heart
  • This Way to the Sugar
  • Slow Burn
  • Summer's Temptation (Vandeveer University, #1)
  • Love Show
  • The Edge of Darkness (Darkness Duet, #1)
JULIE JOHNSON is a twenty-seven-year-old Boston native and USA Today bestselling author of more than a dozen contemporary romance novels. When she's not writing, Julie can most often be found adding stamps to her passport, drinking too much coffee, striving to conquer her Netflix queue, and Instagramming pictures of her dog. (Follow her: @author_julie)

She published her debut novel LIKE GRAVITY in
“Maybe there aren’t any happily ever afters, or white knights who ride in on valiant steeds to save the day. Maybe, in real life, Prince Charming isn’t always perfect – he’s just as flawed as everyone else in the tale. And that princess, alone in her tower? She’s not perfect either. Birds don’t braid her hair every morning, she can’t serenade wild forest creatures into servitude, and she doesn’t even own a ball gown. But she’s also smart enough to know not to accept poisoned apples from strangers, or prick her finger on deadly spindles.

She doesn’t wait around for a prince to charge in and slay the dragon. Maybe she saves herself and in the end, rides off into her own goddamned sunset.”
50 likes
“No amount of soul searching would fix my past. There was no magical Band-Aid I could stick on my heart, no special glue I could use to make myself whole again. I had shattered to pieces like a fragile vase on concrete; some fragments could be roughly cobbled back together, but many of my vital parts had simply turned to dust, pulverized and scattered by the first gust of wind.” 41 likes