Start by marking “Marked (Mindspace Investigations, #3)” as Want to Read:
Marked (Mindspace Investigations, #3)

Marked

(Mindspace Investigations #3)

FORESEE NO EVIL.

Freelancing for the Atlanta PD isn’t exactly a secure career; my job’s been on the line almost as much as my life. But it’s a paycheck, and it keeps me from falling back into the drug habit. Plus, things are looking up with my sometimes-partner, Cherabino, even if she is still simmering over the telepathic Link I created by accident.

When my ex, Kara, show
Published April 1st 2014 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about Marked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marked

Start your review of Marked (Mindspace Investigations, #3)
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Another installment of this telepathy-themed goodiness. Guild being nasty and 'Guild First', police being choosy, Adam being moody (though not so much as before), telepahy being pervasive and technology feared. All is OK in this world.
Q:
Lying in a society of telepaths was possible, but just barely. The key was not to think about the lie at all—something akin to spinning a plate on top of your head while standing on one foot and reciting multiplication tables—or to lie to yourself first, and ofte
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was great. The best so far.

Marked has an excellent summary. It's just deceiving enough to make you pay attention. At the same time, it only touches upon the things that may happen in the book (or at least close to it).
One thing is certain, it doesn't prepare you for the anger you'll feel at least four, if not more, times. There are no clear sides here to hold on to. Most of the characters are so infuriatingly selfish and annoying it drove me crazy.

The Guild is hypocritical and enforces its
Rebo
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
I'm sensing something in Mindspace.... Wait... I think it's...

Extreme disappointment.

I was so excited about this book, since the second book was so fantastic. But it seems like everything Alex Hughes learned from book one to two was forgotten.

The first half of this book has no personality, no real tension, and while the second has tension galore, there are so many missed opportunities and unanswered questions (and not in the good way, like, oh, we'll find out next book).

Part of what made book tw
Kathy Davie
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Third in the Mindspace Investigations dystopian-like science fiction detective series set in Atlanta and revolving around Adam, a telepath who is also a recovering addict.

My Take
Wow. I do like the sound of the victim's house. I want a door like his!

Marked is so full of twists and turns…one minute it looks as if Kara is setting Adam up, and considering what's at stake, I am so not liking her for what she's putting Adam through. Considering his background and past experiences with Enforcement,
Bryan Brown
I still like this character a lot although this book didn't feel as strong to me as the first two. After all the events the increased freedom he has in this book makes me really question his recovery. I think he is still way to eager to keep secrets from those who are trying their best to support him, not to mention the fact that I don't see him performing any daily rituals to aid his recovery. In fact other than a weekly meeting with Schwartz he seems to be missing a lot of things that would ke ...more
Chris
Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, scifi, done, from-library
Good continuation of this series about a telepath and recovering addict who consults for the police and, under duress, the Telepath's Guild.
keikii Eats Books
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
96 points/100 (5/5 stars!)

When my ex-fiancée, Kara called me begging me to investigate the death of one her family members. I can't say no. This is going to get me in trouble, though, and not only because this will give the Guild chance to get rid of me forever.

This book was scary. The Guild is truly frightening. I'm a worrier, and so I worry for Adam, and frankly I worry for the world. This book shows that things are not going into light, fluffy places.

This is a very, very big Guild book. Adam
Alison
I read the first two books several years ago and never got into the third one. Then a long holiday and ennui with all my other books made me come back to this one.

Adam Ward was a high level telepath who was kicked out of the Guild for drug taking. Nowadays he freelances for the Atlanta PD working to pay off his debt to the Guild. Then his ex, Kara, calls him in distress. Her uncle has died, the Guild think it was suicide and they also think he was mad, even worse the madness seems to be spreadin
Marlene
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Originally published at The Book Pushers

Alex Hughes’ Mindspace Investigations series takes place in a near-future post-apocalyptic version of Atlanta. The worldbuilding and the relationships get more and more complicated with each book, and the information about what went wrong in the not-too-distant past (or in our not-too-distant future) builds more depth and gets more interesting.

This is not a series where you can start in the middle. If urban fantasy with a scientific basis sounds good to yo
OpenBookSociety.com
Mar 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: heidi

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Heidi

marked-mindspace-investigations-alex-hughesAdam Ward is back in the third installment of Alex Hughes’s Mindspace Investigations series. Adam is finally recovering from his mind injury and is freelancing for the Atlanta PD as an interrogator. He gets to work with Cherabino, who is anxiously waiting for the link Adam accidentally made to fade, as he promised it would.

But when Adam’s ex calls on him for help to find who mur
Derek
Jun 21, 2014 rated it liked it
What did I think? In a word, underwhelming. I'm three books in now and should be getting more excited about these characters, not less. I found the plot in this one messier than the first two, and found the focus kept getting pulled between the Wright murder, the continuing threat of unemployment, and all that drama going on at the guild. (Babylon 5's Psi Corp much?)

But my biggest issue with the series hasn't changed since the first book. For a guy who claims to hate saying "I'm sorry", Adam se
Dr susan
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Marked is one of those books that I need to wait a few days before reading again. The action is intense, and Adam's life and recovery appear destined for failure. His support system is shattered with his babysitter gone, his sponsor still recovering, and his job security in question.
Recovery from addiction is a constant struggle, but Adam appears to turn a very important corner in Marked. I admit I knew the identity of one villain early, but was completely surprised by the other. Cherubino does
Amyiw
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
So this was really good too. It started out frustrating as he once again puts himself in the range of the Guild and Kara and they are, IMO, untrustworthy. Yes, I get that he has a connection to Kara but I think it is high time to leave it behind. OK, once the beginning gets him entwined in Guild politics and strong arm tactics... again, and I accepted that, the book moved along smoothly and I enjoyed the ride as he bounded through the investigations.

On the personal, his relationship to Cherabin
Barbara
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh my, this story was even more intense than the first two, I loved it! Once again Adam Ward is trying to keep his job with the Atlanta PD, which helps keep him sane and off the drug he was addicted to. When his ex, Kara, begs for his help to prove her uncle did not kill himself, he’s sucked into Guild affairs and politics once again, always a risky proposition. He manages to get grudging approval to help with the investigation, and then proceeds to put himself in even more danger with every ste ...more
Harris
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
Maybe I've read too many urban fantasy/SF procedurals. Maybe the world that the Mindspace series takes place in doesn't resonate with me the way that the Laundry Files or the Charles Stross books do. But after three books, I'm basically ready to drop the Mindspace series from my reading list. I just have no real interest in it any more. The Telepath Guild feels too much like a mustache twirling batch of Bester clones running Psi-Corps (corps is mother, corps is father), the Tech Wars back story ...more
Ubiquitousbastard
First off, this book gives me no strong feelings. It wasn't unpleasant to read, but it all sort of felt a bit flat. Like more could have been done with, I mean, I didn't even realize I had passed the plot resolution until I saw I was almost on the last page. Then I was literally asking myself: was that it? Is it over? But nothing really happened.

There were a few good parts I guess, lightly good, interesting to some degree at least. Basically, this book was just too mediocre all over, but not in
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is my favorite--so far--of the Mindspace novels. The stakes this time are life-and-death, as Adam continues to struggle with addiction and the consequences of the past while trying to move forward with his life. At the same time, a call for help that renews past alliances in the Guild might also destroy the world he's building in the present. While it frustrates me sometimes that it often seems like the entire universe is arrayed against Adam, his courage and fortitude make him an admirable ...more
Fantasy Literature
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My friendship with Adam has covered three novels now. Alex Hughes has taken me into a different future of the world I live in and made it very real for me, but the best part is that I’ve befriended a hero who I completely understand and admire. That’s right, I admire Adam the drug addict.

In Marked, the third book in Hughes’ MINDSPACE INVESTIGATIONS... Read More http://www.fantasyliterature.com/revi...
Hilary
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Politics and telepaths... no, it's not Babylon 5. Adam's job is at risk, his partnership may be getting better (or worse), and people he respects might not be all they appear. Intrigue, backstabbing (metaphorical), and sanity very much at stake keep him on the move, trying to track down the conspiracy before some real harm is done.
Ian
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The third of the Mindspace Investigations novels carries on from the last. The pace isn;'t fast as the hero, Adam – telepath and junkie working for the police department in a post apocalyptic distopian worldd – continues his slow recovery and rediscovery of self worth, whilst his relationship with his sometime partner and crush develops.
Another reviewer said this may be the best series you're not reading yet, and I think that sums it up well. Adam's problems can be a little depressing, but it 'f
Catherine
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great series and the writing improves by leaps and bounds

Book1 was ok but book2 was much better and book3 terrific. This has rapidly become a favorite series for me, and I am very picky! The hero and his layers of complexity are wonderful. We live in a world where heroes labor for 49 minutes and then the Reset Button is hit for next week's show. It is the author's gift to show how each decision has a weight and an outcome that become part of a person.
Sionna
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, romance, sci-fi
I still really like this series and I flew through this book.

The thing is, the romance between Adam and Isabella feels flat to me. Somewhat. I kinda get it, but all the reader really sees is their work relationship. I'm a bit worried about how this will progress.

Poor ADAM! I feel like I keep thinking this.

Anyhow the mystery was pretty interesting and I look forward to the next book :)
Veronica
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and found it quite interesting. I was lost a few times but that happens when you enter a series midway. The characters were all well developed especially the protagonist. And the plot is certainly SF. Well written.
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As Adam grows and changes in these books, the building relationships feel natural to me. Things are starting to form a bigger picture now, an issue that can take multiple books to work through. The writing style paints wonderful pictures of the world, making it the world I live in fall away.
Noelia
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another great book of this series, I can't put them down! I'm not a big fan of police investigations but in this case the topic provides the perfect background to develop the main character's attitude and behavior. Really worth reading it if you're into urban fantasy/sci-fi.
RavenT
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The author does a good job of handling the exposure of Adam's back story over the course of the series, especially in this book.

Note: It's important to read these books in order.
Angela
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
The series is still going good. Wasn't sure how this one was going to end but it turned out to be good. Going to read the next book.
Jonathan Lin
May 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Van (Short & Sweet Reviews)
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Disclosure: I received a review copy from the author in exchange for a honest review.

Marked, the third installment in the Mindspace Investigation series was another great addition! Like the first two books in the series, Adam a level eight telepath helps with some interviews for the Atlanta PD and on occasions assist with Detective Cherabino on her homicides cases. Adam was kicked out of the Guild (Organization for people with special abilities) a long time ago for drug addiction but no matter h
Sasha
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, favorites
"Marked" is the third installment of Alex Hughes' Mindspace Investigations series. So if you haven't read the first two ("Clean" and "Sharp"), I suggest you do that, or you won't understand anything.
I've got to say, while many find the third book to be lacking compared to the other two, I actually find this the best one of the three. I think Hughes got around to focus the main character's feelings, so he wasn't permanently whining anymore. Then again, he is a (former) drug addict, and if I count
« previous 1 3 next »

• Fallen (Alex Verus, #10)
  • Dead Things (Eric Carter #1)
  • Lost Soul (Harbinger P.I., #1)
  • Hungry Ghosts (Eric Carter, #3)
  • Broken Souls (Eric Carter, #2)
  • Tombyards & Butterflies (Montague & Strong Case Files #1)
  • Buried Memory  (Harbinger P.I. #2)
  • Veiled (Alex Verus, #6)
  • Fire Season (Eric Carter #4)
  • Chosen (Alex Verus, #4)
  • Hidden (Alex Verus, #5)
  • Burned (Alex Verus, #7)
  • Bound (Alex Verus, #8)
  • Bullets & Blades (Montague & Strong Case Files #7)
  • Child of Fire (Twenty Palaces, #1)
  • Game of Cages (Twenty Palaces, #2)
  • Marked (Alex Verus, #9)
  • Ghost Money (Eric Carter #5)
Alex Hughes was born in Savannah, GA and moved to the south Atlanta area when she was eight years old. Shortly thereafter, her grandfather handed her a copy of Anne McCaffrey’s Dragonrider series, and a lifelong obsession with scifi was born.

Alex is a graduate of the prestigious Odyssey Writing Workshop and a Semi-Finalist in the 2011 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Awards. Her short pieces are publishe

Mindspace Investigations (4 books)
  • Clean (Mindspace Investigations, #1)
  • Sharp (Mindspace Investigations, #2)
  • Vacant (Mindspace Investigations, #4)