Start by marking “Suicide Squad, Volume 4: Discipline and Punish” as Want to Read:
Suicide Squad, Volume 4: Discipline and Punish

Suicide Squad, Volume 4: Discipline and Punish

(Suicide Squad (2011) #4)

New team members, new direction, new creative team! After the Suicide Squad is nearly massacred, the team returns to Belle Reve to lick their wounds and bury their deadbut when they find out what's waiting for them at the prison, they'll wish they were back out in the field! Task Force X has a new leader, who will make this team of killers and thieves even deadlier than ...more
Published May 6th 2014 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Suicide Squad, Volume 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suicide Squad, Volume 4

Start your review of Suicide Squad, Volume 4: Discipline and Punish
Jayson
(B+) 76% | Good
Notes: Punctuated with philosophy, its chaos and catastrophes, all action with alacrity, but bruised by botched biographies.
Anne
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Fanfuckingtastic!

This is by far the best volume of Suicide Squad that I've read.
I loathed volume 1, was only slightly more impressed with volume 2, and grudgingly gave volume 3 a less than enthusiastic passing grade.
In fact, I almost let this one go back to the library unread.
But...Shiny new cover! Must Read!

Discipline and Punish is the volume that finally highlights Harley Quinn in the right way, because she shines like a whacked-out glow stick. And let's face it, when she's on top
Bradley
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ah well this one is all fun all the time, and while there wasn't anything much of depth in this volume, it makes up for it with many fun and shiny explosions and disturbing images and people. :)

In other words, this is a must-read volume of SS. :)

I'm really loving James Gordon JR. I suspect I might have to do a bit more research and find all the places where this psycho shows up. :)

And King Shark? He's really tickling my funny bone. :) He's here to party.

And then there's Harley. She's kinda a
Trish
Sep 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Maybe that's some of the true measure of love - the kindness we give to those who are too damaged to even perceive it. Not falling in love, but staying in it. Regardless of what comes.
Wow, Suicide Squad just got deep. *lol*

This volume had some more new team members (yes, I'm bored by the everlasting avalanche of "awsome" newbies flooding the team for 3 seconds). The best new character definitely is James Gordon's son (who is not as nice as daddy) - a killer, psycho and really good at analyzing
Lono
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Suicide Squad, Vol. 4: Discipline and Punish is the only volume of the New 52 Suicide Squad Ive been willing to roll the dice on for two reasons. One, my home girl Anne seems to have really enjoyed it. And two, because Ales Kot is so stinkin' fresh. His offbeat style continues to charm the hell outta me.

description

Couple of minor spoilers coming up folks. This volume picks up with the re-programming of the current members of the squad and introduces a couple of new ones. Deadshot, Harley, and King
Sam Quixote
May 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
I guess DC were aiming for the Fifty Shades crowd with the subtitle: Discipline and Punish? The only thing masochistic about Suicide Squad is that I keep reading the series even though its never been good, including this one!

Ales Kot has (briefly) taken over from Adam Glass and the series has become slightly more fun as a result - that fun manifesting as wacky captions! But thats it. Otherwise this is still overly-angsty moronic bees in a jar being shook up.

Theres a couple of changes to the
Teya Agnese
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Really enjoyed this volume! I flew through it!

Suicide squad volume 4 is the shortest comic out of the collection so far and there was little dialogue or action happening. But this volume went into depth about Harley and Deadshot's life leading up to when they joined the suicide squad and what made them join the squad.

I thought this was such a good and interesting read.
Gavin
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
3.5 Stars for sure, creeping a bit higher?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

After the clusterfuck that was the "writing" of Adam Glass (is NOT half full of anything but shitty writing), this new direction from Ales Kot is a VERY welcome change. It's like eating Spam for 3 meals in a row, and then, having a hamburger: The hamburger to anyone else, is just an average hamburger, but to anyone who choked down the Spam? It's fucking Filet Mignon!

Finally, instead of infighting, triple agents, betrayal, the constant threat of blowing
Chris
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc-comics
Dark. Funny. Violent. Crazy. Clever.

The fourth volume of the New 52 Suicide Squad series is a blast thanks to the new creative team of writer Ales Kot and artist Patrick Zircher. Although Kot's run was short-lived and Zircher only drew three of his four issues, their combined efforts make Discipline And Punish an easy recommendation, not just for Suicide Squad fans, but for anyone who enjoys great comics.

In fact, the only real downside to this collection is that there wasn't more of Kot and
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This felt different from the last books, but then the writer is different. Still loving this series. Still lots of craziness, and violence. Not too gratuitous, thankfully. Some thoughtful stories, one with Deadshot as a young man who is driven by revenge, and another with Harley Quinn reflecting on her life. Both come to realize that they need the Suicide Squad to give them balance. For Harley, it keeps her off the edge of chaos, and for Deadshot, it's a challenge that means more than getting ...more
Christopher

Sick.

Of your.

Games.

Me too, Harley. Me too.

Harley is still awesome. Waller still sucks. But the reason I think this one worked for me over the others is that the interesting conflict dynamic is between Waller and the squad. Having Gordon on site gives the writer an excuse to stick with Waller and get into her head a little more than previously. The single issue origin stories or Deadshot and Quinn were fun, though I do believe that is about the 4th Harley Quinn origin that
Sesana
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
This was a HUGE improvement over the previous volume. Sometimes, that's what you get with a change in writers. Kot seems to be using the characters he has to their utmost. And let's face it, Harley is a gift to any writer who can appreciate her. Better yet? James Gordon, Jr. gets added to the mix. And he's in love with Waller. Isn't that just the most wonderful and terrifying thing you could imagine happening in this book? As a bonus, we get two backstory issues, one with Harley and one with ...more
Gucifi
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The comic is totally fabulous.
Mike
Jun 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Very confusing opener. We get that Waller is an unpredictable manipulator, and we already know that these guys are villains and deserve the bad treatment they get.

Even considering that, why the hell is Waller screwing with everyone? Is she just sadistic? Is this some kind of revival plan? Did I miss the one useful previous plot development by skipping the turd-sandwich-with-a-side-of-vomit that was Adam Glass' third volume of SS?

Perhaps it's just hard to follow because Kot decided it would be
James DeSantis
May 03, 2019 rated it liked it
This was pretty fun. Ales Kot channels his secret avengers writing skills and goes a little batshit here.

Suicide squad is pushed back together, as always, but now besides Waller we have James Gordan helping her run the crew. He's extremely dangerous and also a bit insane, but that's what she needs to gain the advantage. Nobody is getting along of course but isn't that what makes the suicide squad so fun? Also two backup issues from other comics are placed at the end here about Harley and
Mohammed Al-Thani
May 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
What a disappointing volume. The plot was a mess. New characters were being thrown out without being introduced such as Cheetah. The art didn't really workout with the previous volumes, though I didn't really mind it. This volume felt unnecessary. Though I liked how the older characters stayed true to themselves and how they gave us Harley's and Deadshots past in the final two issues. Overall I didn't really liked this volume, though some aspects of it were good enough.
Joana Veríssimo
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like the editing in this volume wasn't as good as it normally is for these comic volumes that come out with Publico (a newspaper here in Portugal). They normally work very well on their own and for people that are casual comic readers, but this one was confusing - I felt like things were missing and I didn't get a clear story
But the art was beautiful and I still like the stories and characters (for the most part). Floyd Lawton's backstory and Harley Quinn's were very interesting, but I
Shera (Book Whispers)
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, comic-dc
Really liked it!! Yeppee!

While this didn't rock my freak boat like the last volume, it certainly is epic. Especially with the add of James Gordon. Wow. He's kind of awesome, which I know I should not be feeling! But that's what Suicide Squad is all about, loving the characters we should loath. Plus, James Gordon's crush has to make you love him. *cough*

Mike
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This was probably actually a 4-star, but I have come to expect a little more -- a bit more sophistication, a bit more oomph -- from Suicide Squad. This volume, introducing James Gordon Junior to the title, drags a bit, has some unexplained changes in character, and has some confusing dodges in the plot. Lead up to the Forever Evil event, which I am about to start.
Stewart Tame
Feb 26, 2016 rated it liked it
If you ever hanker to read Suicide Squad, do yourself a favor: skip volumes 1-3 and start with volume 4. You won't be missing anything important, and you can always read them later if you're really curious. With this volume, we have new writers: Ales Kot and Matt Kindt. And they bring with them the welcome gifts of character development and style. Instead of semi-random action sequences, we now have actual characters having adventures. Not sure why it took DC three volumes to figure that out. ...more
Ivy
Interesting comic. I want to learn the Unknown Soldier's identity. Nice to learn how Deadshot is always coming back to life. Wonder what will happen to the Suicide Squad.
Anthony
Jun 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: digital, the-new-52
Oh hey, look at me, reading my first suicide squad trade the same week the film comes out! (Which, as of writing this, I've not seen).

The 4th volume of something is a weird place to begin, but after doing a slight bit of research (googling for 5 minutes), this seemed like one of the better volumes of Suicide Squad to try from the more recent stuff.

And it was actually pretty okay! Harley and Deadshot both make good leads, and King Shark is an amusing addition because to me he's a character that
Michael O'Brien
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another entertaining continuation in the series. The plot seemed a little more disjointed than previous episodes, jumping around from one situation to another where it wasn't always clear if this a was a flashback or just a scene change, but, eventually, it's possible to sort it out by the end of the book. Curiously, King Shark, shone in the rest of these volumes as a hammerhead is shown as a normal looking shark in one of the stories --- almost as if the authors switched artists without each ...more
Kyle
Apr 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: dcu
A fun, fast read. Nothing too deep or involving and nothing mind-blowingly revelatory. The art work was solid, the script was funny at times, the action was relentless. I was intrigued by the inclusion of Gordon Jr., but King Shark is still the coolest team mate, in my opinion. Unknown Soldier, on the other hand, is someone I couldn't care less about.

Unfortunately there are two issues in it that act as dead weight: the Deadshot and Harley Quinn one-shots. I found them to be so boring and
David Dalton
I started reading these collections to get in the mood for the movie coming out this weekend. Four Vols down and one more to go in this "New 52" version. Then 3 more of the "New Suicide Squad". I also plan to continue reading Suicide Squad from their Rebirth issues up (now with Jim Lee as artist). Lots of action. I hope the movie does well, this whole "Dirty Dozen" aspect with super-villains appeals to me.
Kelsey
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What else is there to say besides the fact that even during the height of Scott Snyder (Batman: Zero Year, Superman Unchained, the Wake), Geoff Johns, and Gail Simone, Suicide Squad would become my favorite book for 4 short months? And how devastated I was when Kot "left."

I leave you with this bon mot from King Shark: "HELLO. MY NAME IS TRIXIE. I LIKE TO PARTY."
Scott
Oct 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Always a fun read Suicide Squad delivered again. This volume wasnt as strong as others. It felt likecsomething was missing. The highlights were the Harley and Deadshot "origin" stories.
Wing Kee
Aug 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
Downward trajectory!

I can't believe that I miss Adam Glass. Sure, the writing was slowly getting better with each Suicide Squad arc and I was hoping that slowly we would get to the point where the characters were the big thing not the explosions, but this writing change pretty much makes the series start at square one again.

World: The art is not memorable, there is a consistency here but it's nothing special. I really wished the facial expressions and character models were illustrated with more
Joshua Adam Bain
Jun 06, 2014 rated it liked it
New writer Ales Kot starts his short run on this great series. Bringing some fun, action and humour. Unfortunately it doesn't hit nearly as hard as the last volume.

Things kick off where the last volume ends, with the Unknown Solider taking over as leader of the team. His character seemed really interesting, but we didn't find out much about him at all through the book. Waller is conducting weird psyche tests on the members of the team with help from a new character, which took me by surprise.
Sydney
Feb 01, 2016 rated it did not like it
These just keep getting worse and worse. The story is nonsensical, the characters don't work well together at all, and worst of all it's not entertaining.

Also in one of the past books we see Black Spider being tied up and tortured and then that's never revisited again.

A bunch of issues ago Waller says that El Diablo is "just who she needs" for the next mission, and we never see him again.

The unknown soldier adds nothing to the plot, I don't know why they brought Voltaic back for two issues, and
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• New Suicide Squad, Volume 1: Pure Insanity (New Suicide Squad, #1)
  • Forever Evil
  • New Suicide Squad, Volume 2: Monsters
  • Justice League, Volume 5: Forever Heroes
  • Forever Evil: A.R.G.U.S.
  • Batman and Robin, Volume 4: Requiem for Damian
  • New Suicide Squad, Volume 4: Kill Anything
  • Forever Evil: Rogues Rebellion
  • Batman Incorporated, Volume 1: Demon Star
  • Harley Quinn, Vol. 3: Kiss Kiss Bang Stab

Suicide Squad (2011) (5 books)
  • Suicide Squad, Volume 1: Kicked in the Teeth