Start by marking “Batwoman, Vol. 4: This Blood Is Thick” as Want to Read:
Batwoman, Vol. 4: This Blood Is Thick

Batwoman, Vol. 4: This Blood Is Thick

(Batwoman (2011) #4)

After taking down Medusa, Batwoman expected her life to get easier. Not so much when caught in the crossfire between Batman and the D.E.O., Department of Extranormal Operations. The organization has their sights set on the Dark Knight, and could be using Batwoman to capture him. But is Batman the true threat?

Writers J.H. Williams III and W. Haden Blackman and artist Trevo
Published April 1st 2014 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Batwoman, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batwoman, Vol. 4

Jayson
(B+) 76% | Good
Notes: It’s about family in all its manner and monstrosity: layering depth and flesh by reunions, concessions and absolution.
Anne
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it

This was another excellent volume of Batwoman, and you really have to credit the creative team that put it together.

It starts off with Kate and Maggie still struggling with the repercussions of the battle with Medusa, but their relationship seems strong enough to overcome it. Now that Maggie knows that Kate is Batwoman, there's definitely a deeper layer to everything. And I liked how she immediately has her back.
In the Killer Croc one-shot, you get a look at how Maggie is fully capable
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Wow. Good stuff. A shame DC chased away power duo, Williams and Blackman, mid-story arc.

I'm afraid of Volume 5...
Sesana
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
It's heart breaking that Williams and Blackman had to leave the book, because this is great. Sadly, they left in the middle of a large and important storyline. Huge cliffhanger. I can't not read the rest, but if it doesn't live up to what's here? Such a shame.

It just felt like, for once, everything came together in this volume. This Blood is Thick is quite a long story, but it didn't at any point drag. There was always forward momentum. And I don't mean constant action, because much of that mom
Gavin
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Not sure what to say about this one, I've been ruminating on it for almost 2 weeks...It's not up to the same levels as Batman and Batgirl Vol. 4s, but it's sure better than the clusterfuck that was Vol. 3.
Things finally come to a head here, but still, I really get the feeling that Kate Kane has no clue what the fuck she's doing. If that's the point, then no thanks. I don't mind a hero finding their way, or doubting things, but this is silly. Also, why throw in another pair of estranged family m
Kyle
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dcu
Beautiful artwork, beautiful dialogue, beautiful characters. Batwoman continues to be one of the best comic books in the market.
4/5
Jim
Are you freaking kidding me?

I read TPBs so they don't end in cliffhangers. So I get a complete story.

But noooooo...

This volume of Batwoman has to end in, not 1, but 2 cliffhangers.

Crap.

I really enjoyed this story. The action is great. Mags and Kate's relationship is fantastic. (Wasn't Mags originally from Metropolis?) I really liked the issue focusing on Croc. And the end was rather suspenseful - making the cliffhanger(s) much more annoying.

I'll definitely be looking for volume 5.
Joseph
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer
Chris
Oct 03, 2013
Nancy Meservier
At first, I wasn't aware that THIS was JH Williams and W Haden Blackman's final volume in Batwoman. Since I don't live under a rock, I was aware of the duo's very public split with DC over the direction of the series, and whether or not Batwoman should become married (spoiler alert: they were all for it, while DC isn't much of a fan of their superheroes getting hitched). Granted, I understand that a change in the creative talent is pretty much an inevitability in superhero comics, but damn! What ...more
Jedi JC Daquis
Oct 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This Blood is Thick abruptly ends the spectacular JH Williams III run on Batwoman. Shame on DC, the title went full south afrerwards. After the Medusa attack on Gotham, you know that another epic story is building up again, one that is more personal, one that involves Batman himself.

I love where the series is going, the marriage, the battle of the Bat-cousins with all other supporting characters thrown into the mix. Volume four sets all that up, giving us an exciting preview on what the Batwoman
Riju Ganguly
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This time the story (including the Killer Croc interlude) flew really fast, appropriately supported by excellent artwork, well-executed dialogue-bubbles, and a real cliffhanger ending. Seems that I can't call it äll over"for Batwoman yet!
Jessica (HighFantasyFanatic)
Always good...
Mike
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Four stars for Batwoman setting a trap for Batman.
Minus 1/3 star for Batwoman allowing herself to be set up into setting a trap for Batman.
Minus 1/3 star for wasting the reader's time on a whole issue devoted to trial runs, grand (dumb) romantic gestures and spooning. I'm open minded, but I don't like having to be pushed into being open-minded.
Minus 1/3 star for Batwoman having the arrogance to set a trap for Batman, and for various other absurdities on the way.
Eli
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, dc-comics
God, what a cliffhanger?? Renewed obsession with these series. Going to need to read the rest fairly soon. A little worried that the writer changed for the last two volumes just because I love this so much as it is. I guess I’ll see how it goes.
Justyn Rampa
Sadly this is the final volume of Batwoman from J.H. Williams III and W. Haden Blackman. When DC editors asked them to go in a completely different direction with many of their storylines, they refused and stepped down which is an artistic decision I can respect.

However, it leaves us without a resolution to this fourth volume of Batwoman and we may never get to see it completed. They were set to wrap up by Batwoman #26, but DC didn't even let them do that. The new creative team will take over in
Chris Lemmerman
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
J. H. Williams III and co bring their run on Batwoman to a...I want to say close, but it's not really, as everything is up in the air. I do like how this storyline is 7+ issues long, yet never seems to drag due to the large amount of moving parts, from Kate to Maggie, Bette to Croc, plus Chase, and Bones, and Alice, so there's never a dull moment. The artwork as usual suffers from not being Williams III, but Trevor McCarthy does an amiable job, with Francesco Francavilla's interlude issue being ...more
Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Batwoman, Vol. 4: This Blood Is Thick by J.H. Williams III, W. Haden Blackman, and Trevor McCarthy (Illustrated by Francesco Francavilla, Walden Wong, Sandu Florea, and Derek Fridolfs, colored by Guy Major) is a continuation of the DC52 series introducing kate Kane as the new Batwoman. This graphic novel collects comics #18-24.

After finishing up the last story-line, taking down the evil Medusa, Kate Kane, a.k.a. Batwoman, thinks her life will get a bit easier.
Isn’t that special?

Instead, the Depa
Kaique
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-52, dc
I love this entire run! It’s definitely one of my favourite runs ever and it puts Batwoman among my favourite characters. This is a run I will love to reread it in a few years. I can’t mention this run without without mentioning its beautiful artwork. I love the contrast between the black, red and white. This entire run would be worth it enough for the artwork alone, but thankfully everything else is just as good. I love the mix of grounded and supernatural in the stories and how Batwoman deals ...more
ChrisVigilante
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, lgbtqia
Honestly horrible spot to end the volume but I really enjoyed this set overall. Loved the Waylon Jones part. Surprisingly.
Hawkfire is a great character. I loved seeing her develop more in this set.

If anyone hurts Maggie Sawyer I will fight them.

So many questions on Kate's family right now. The whole thing with Alice and the potential other siblings. I need answers.

The creative team changes after this one and I have no hope that it will actually be something I'm still interested in honestly. J
Paweł
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc, new-52
Zdaje się, że Batwoman to najlepsza seria z nowego 52. Nie wiem czy to dobrze, czy źle. Z jednej strony chciałbym więcej takich serii, z drugiej to tak unikatowe doświadczenie, że będzie mi przeszkadzało imitowanie przez innych bohaterów. Szkoda, że to już koniec. Autor żegna się z czytelnikiem mocnym cliffhangerem.
Sheida
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Impressive graphics but it all got a bit messy and overloaded at times, and the story wasn't entirely captivating either.
Basma
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The characters' drawings in this volume feel different. But nevertheless I am enjoying the pace of how the story and the characters are developing.

The thing I hate about comics is having to wait for the next volume and once that happens I seem to forget what happened in the previous one and when something big is revealed I am shocked all over again even though it was mentioned in the previous volume. My constant dilemma.
Shannon Appelcline
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, comics-dc
This is the New 52 at its best and at its worst.

On the good side, Williams and Blackman have long avoided the crossover meat-grinder, and so they've been able characterize not only their core hero, but also a strong supporting cast that's unlike anything else in the New 52. They've managed to tell stories that are about people and that are about their change, so here we have Kane fighting with her new deal with the DEO, her cousin fighting with her own position in Gotham, and even Croc fighting
Wing Kee
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great series gets the rug pulled from under it...argh.

World: The art is not as good as the other arcs but oh well. The world building was great, with it building towards something bigger and then...the rug got pulled under...what the hell DC.

Story: I liked the story, it was building towards more and this little piece of Gotham for Kate was great...and then it ended...what the hell. I don't want to this be a anti-DC rant but 2 issues, they needed 2 more issues to finish this arc off, what the h
Fairuz
Sep 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Setelah kejayaan menumpaskan Medusa, D.E.O semakin mempergiat Batwoman untuk menjayakan misi-misi mereka. Manakala Batwoman pula tidak punya banyak pilihan demi melindungi semua yang disayanginya. Dia juga terdesak untuk membebaskan Beth yang berada dalam tahanan D.E.O. Sebagai ganti Batwoman harus memerangkap Batman untuk diserahkan kepada D.E.O.

Tindakan Batwoman bekerjasama dengan D.E.O mungkin dilihat seperti mengkhianati adiwira ternama Gotham City iaitu Batman. Namun buat mereka yang pentin
Stefan Fergus
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
For the main, this is excellent. The writing and artwork are great throughout. However the cut-off at the end of the book is in the middle of a fight. WTF? Surely there's a better point? Too sudden, feel slightly cheated (even though I got this from the library, and didn't pay for it). A resolution of the Batwoman-Batman conflict would have been nice... (I know these are minor issues, based solely on my own frustration with cliff-hangers, but still...).
Valerie Anne
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Marcela
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite New 52 title, with its stellar writing team and always top-notch art and colors. There was magic happening with this book, and I hate knowing how it all crumbled thanks to DC Editorial's stubborn idiocy. Such a shame.
Kristen
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this volume nearly as much as the first. Brooding and spooky. Sadly, it ends in a hell of a frustrating cliffhanger. The worst part of that is this is the last volume of the Williams/Blackman run. Sad face.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #43 Batwoman vol 4 by J.H. Williams III 1 1 Apr 15, 2015 08:45PM
  • Batwoman, Vol. 5: Webs
  • Wonder Woman, Volume 6: Bones
  • Batgirl/Robin: Year One
  • Supergirl, Vol. 3: Sanctuary
  • Nightwing, Volume 5: Setting Son
  • Batgirl and the Birds of Prey, Volume 1: Who Is Oracle?
  • Aquaman, Volume 3: Throne of Atlantis
James H. "Jim" Williams III, usually credited as J. H. Williams III, is a comic book artist and penciller. He is known for his work on titles such as Chase, Promethea and Desolation Jones.

Batwoman (2011) (6 books)
  • Batwoman, Vol. 1: Hydrology