Start by marking “FBP: Federal Bureau of Physics, Vol. 1: The Paradigm Shift” as Want to Read:
FBP: Federal Bureau of Physics, Vol. 1: The Paradigm Shift

FBP: Federal Bureau of Physics, Vol. 1: The Paradigm Shift

(FBP: Federal Bureau of Physics #1)

Wormholes in your kitchen. Gravity failures at school. Quantum tornadoes tearing through the midwest. As with all natural disasters, people do what they always do: They adapt and survive. And if things get really bad, the Federal Bureau of Physics (FBP) is only a call away.

FBP: Federal Bureau of Physics is the story of Adam Hardy: Young, brash and smart, he's a rising star
Published February 25th 2014 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about FBP, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about FBP

Sesana
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
Anything that can remind me of the glory days of The X-Files is a good thing. FBP does exactly that, without being in any sense a copy. It's the concept that does it: federal agents investigating the strange. That's roughly where the two part ways, though. The biggest difference is that the weird is well known. In this case, the laws of physics are breaking down, in a sense, becoming entirely unreliable. One day, gravity may stop working, but only in one small place, and it's the FBP's job to es ...more
Sam Quixote
Apr 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
“The impossible is always possible…” is an oft-repeated phrase throughout this story - does that include Vertigo publishing a good comic? Ah, I kid, Vertigo! … but not really.

Vertigo have had a helluva dry spell since Scalped and Northlanders both ended. Even the DC wunderkind Scott Snyder failed to liven up the label with his mediocre book, The Wake. So it continues with FBP, a humungously boring story that doesn’t know what it’s supposed to be.

It sells itself as this wacky tale of science go
Skye Kilaen
One of my fave sci-fi comics. Recommended for those who enjoy WTF moments, reality-within-reality sci-fi, and cranky reluctant heroes.

In the near future, you can call 911 for police, fire, ambulance... or physics emergencies, since the "laws" of reality intermittently break. Adam Hardy is an agent with the Bureau, responding to these emergency calls. Or not, or possibly two hours late, since he's kind of a slacker. Things are about to get serious, though, and Hardy's right in the middle of it. W
Joseph
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Although I'm not one for straight sci-fi, this collection of comics about a world where the laws of physics no longer work (sometimes) is an interesting concept that lends itself well to the illustrated page.

The writing is very good, although we're still not sure what is causing this sudden collapse of physics, but the art by Robbi Rodriguez is amazing. Rico Renzi supplies vivid colors, and Nathan Fox's covers stand out as arresting and provocative.

Looking forward to the next volumes.
Cheese
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love physics and I'm a total science geek so this was nice welcome change to read.

Good artwork, interesting story and it's different. I'll be reading vol 2.
Leo
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really fresh comic, I like the story a lot and I want to know more right now.
Kaitlin
Aug 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
This is a graphic novel I picked up from the library and I am so glad I did because it means I spent nothing on it. This book is not for me in any way shape or form. It was dull, boring and certainly not brilliantly drawn or thought out. The story is surrounding a good idea, but it becomes convoluted and messy quickly meaning that it's not only hard to follow what's happening but it's also quickly uninteresting.

This is a story about the FBP which is the 'Federal Bureau of Physics'. In this world
'kris Pung
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Who knew physics could be this much fun? This series kind of has a slightly more serious Chew vibe and tons of fun sci-fi elements too.
Elizabeth A
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphix, 2018
This graphic novel is complete in 4 volumes and this review is for the entire series.

In the near future 911 responders ask if your call is concerning police, fire, ambulance or physics. Yes, physics! In this world the laws of physics have started to fail and anything is possible. For example: "Wormholes in your kitchen. Gravity failures at school. Quantum tornadoes tearing through the midwest." The FBP (Federal Bureau of Physics) agent at the center of this story is Adam Hardy, who does the abso
Clarisse
Feb 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-review, 2014
3.5 stars total

(Although I received this book for review my review is still 100% honest.)

I thought the story for this comic sounded really interesting. Well it was interesting in more ways than one. Well of course this comic is compiled of the first seven in the series I believe. I thought it was amazing that it was in full color! I'm mostly used to reading comics that are black and white so I was shocked by this.

I found this comic to be very unique compared to others I read before. Mostly becau
Pragyan Pradhan
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's a world where you called 911 and your nature of emergency is Physics. Not fire, ambulance or police, but Physics. Localized gravity failures, bubble dimension and time dilations are occurring. The fabric of the universe is weakening and everyone have their own agenda. Money can be made even when the universe is collapsing. What do you believe in?

It's a colorful ride, reminding Wally Wood era coloring. It's a ride, as I mentioned already.
Sana
Well, the concept reeled me in but I just couldn't care enough about the main character to be fine with the story being character driven. Not in a world where the laws of physics just might stop holding true in any part of the earth at any time. That shit is too good to waste on a main character this boring. If only Agent Reyes was the main character...

Moreover, the art is a sloppy mess that tried to compliment the wacky world but for the most part, failed to.
Caitlin
FBP features a near future in which the laws of physics have gone completely out the window and all kinds of strange events involving quantum tornadoes, wormholes and alternate dimensions start threatening the people of Earth. In steps the Federal Bureau of Physics (FBP) which must set the world back to rights and find out why these events are happening. Ghost...err physics busters to the rescue!

FBP has an interesting concept that I found intriguing along with flawed characters that further piqu
Grace
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
I’d like to see where this story is headed. Will definitely give the second trade a go.
Alexis Leon
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
NOTE: THIS IS A FIRST-READS ADVANCE COPY WON FROM THE PUBLISHER

This is the first collected volume for the Federal Bureau of Physics series, titled “The Paradigm Shift,”and includes issues 1-7. The relatively quick and dirty, sans spoilers: Special Agent Adam Hardy is a member of the titular Bureau (FBP) and works to fix happenings and upheavals in a world where “the impossible’s always possible.” In this world, dialing 911 will prompt the question whether your emergency is “fire, ambulance, poli
Alan
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I haven't hidden the fact around here that I'm searching for science fiction in a U.S. comics world that at times feels dominated by fantasy (super heroes when I was growing were more science influenced/inspired in a very 1930s see Green Lantern and not fantasy see the changes to Spider-Man's origin), so I had high hopes for FBP.

First, with Karen Berger leaving as Vertigo's editor and Fables ending soon I was hoping this series would be a good addition to the line besides being science fiction.
Paul Mirek
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nathan Fox's striking covers (like that beauty up above) were a big part of my picking up the series, but what's inside more than backed up their promise. Writer Simon Oliver, artist Robbi Rodriguez, and colorist Rico Renzi have crafted a stylized, super-cool sci-fi thriller set in a world where the laws of physics are as likely to be broken as the laws of man. There's not much time spent in this first arc explaining the "why" of things--instead, we start off with a noirish conspiracy arc that h ...more
Drown Hollum
Mar 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: weird
The art here is fantastic, and immediately captivating, complimented perfectly by an incredible color palate. The concepts at work are also strong, exploring a world where mishaps of physics are common enough to require a dedicated federal service. Unfortunately the plot seems a a bit staggered and poorly paced, with a heavy reliance on torrential shovel-fed exposition. The characters personalities don't stand out nearly as much as their designs do either, leaving me a bit disappointed with the ...more
Alex Sarll
Initially known as Collider, this is the best Vertigo launch in quite some time. Like Simon Oliver's previous series there, The Exterminators, it's about underpaid, unappreciated public servants sworn to protect a world that mildly dislikes them - except this time the apocalyptic threat isn't bug gods, it's physics gone freeform. A tricky think to depict on the page, but Robbi Rodriguez' art has just the right deformability, and Rico Renzi supplies the most innovative colouring job I've seen sin ...more
Jeremy DeBottis
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
When you mix awesome art with an interesting concept I'm generally onboard no matter what, and that is the case with the first edition of FBP. At times the storytelling becomes a little predictable, but by the end I was totally into the story that left off with a strong enough cliffhanger that I'm interested in seeing what happens next.

While the pencils and inks are well done the color scheme takes the trophy in this series and when you mix in the fantastic cover art (included) it's a beautiful
Cara
May 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 741ish, 2015, vertigo
Why did I pick this book?

Ummm….. *mumbles* I thought it said Federal Bureau of Psychics.

The Verdict?

This was really science-y, but the story totally worked. The Federal Bureau of Physics is necessary because sometimes gravity stops working, or time starts to speed up. That's when you call in the FBP. I'm going to keep reading this to find out what happens and maybe I'll get lucky and I'll learn something.
Peter E.  Frangel
Mar 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2015
The physics that underlies the comic is pretty awesome, and can make for some great story telling. I'm not too sold on the characters or the plot they selected to ride along, however. Great artwork.
Tomb
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Great art, but the story is not that interesting so far. And the dialog is mostly technobabble and a few lines at the expense of people will mental disorders. Will continue to read when I can afford the second trade. The art is stunning.
Garrett
Jul 13, 2016 rated it liked it
This is fun, well-drawn, with a street-level, blue collar sensibility about it, and smartly written. Review of the second volume to follow.
Jude Watson
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Beautiful art, mediocre story, terrible gender politics. Hard pass on the rest of the series.
Karrie
Oct 13, 2013 rated it liked it
I think the concept is great, but this one is all world building not enough story. Design is strong and I enjoyed the news footage "heard" throughout the panels.
Nice exploration of what happens when things start to fall apart and we start to farm within the city walls.
Dan
Sep 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Definitely not for everyone...if you can't handle heavy physics talk this isn't for you.
Phrodrick
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
My bottom line. I cannot say that much of any of FBP is thrilling or new. But I am gonna get the next volume. There has to be something here, I have not quit found it, but I do want to try some more.

FBP Vol 1 Paperback. The plot is a mashup of other plots and fairly standard Sci Fi conventions. The loner hero with mystery about his father and a shaky upbringing. The new woman partner who is so much better than everyone else and because she is a woman… A hard working government service in a corru
Sean
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Science types
What seemed like an interesting Hickman-like idea left a sour taste in my mouth. The ideas here are very high concept but the execution was lacking. It was very hard to follow at times possibly be due to the loose artwork. While the actual story is more about a small group of people than the physics, the physics are too dense at times. A ton of fun ideas are pushed to the side in favor of scientific-babble. Overall, a solid idea with too many missteps.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Will O' the Wisp
  • Revolver
  • Harbinger, Volume 1: Omega Rising
  • Punk Rock Jesus

FBP: Federal Bureau of Physics (4 books)
  • FBP: Federal Bureau Of Physics, Vol. 2: Wish You Were Here