Start by marking “Fools' Gold” as Want to Read:
Fools' Gold
Read Book* *Different edition

Fools' Gold (Order of Darkness #3)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  564 ratings  ·  62 reviews
All that glitters may well be gold in the third book in the Order of Darkness quartet filled with intrigue, mystery, and romance, from #1 New York Times bestselling author Philippa Gregory.Tasked to expose a coin counterfeiting scheme, Luca and Isolde travel to Venice just in time for Carnival. Amid the masks, parties, and excitement, the romantic attraction between the tw ...more
Audio CD
Published February 11th 2014 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published January 30th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Fools' Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fools' Gold

Clara Jansson
Oct 13, 2014 Clara Jansson rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who likes historical fiction
Just a little warning to curious readers, you might find some small spoilers in this review! Just putting it out there!

Fools' Gold were acutally the reason why I started to read the Order of Darkness-series in the first place, because I bought this book in a book shop on a school field trip to London in March this year and then realized that it was the third part of a series. But I don't regret it because this book was actually the best in the series so far!

I really like that the story takes pla
Jules Goud
Definitely my favourite in the series so far.

The travelling group now has to go to Venice to find out the mystery of the gold coins. They go during the 20 days of sin before lent. This has some interesting affects on our group.

First, I have to say I don't like the love triangle. I really wants Isolde and Luca to end up together but I don't really know if that is going to happen. They look like they love each other but with the entrance of Ishraq, I can't say that I'm confident in there love affa
Caz
As much as i love the series and cannot wait for the next book this book i defiantly felt it lacked a certain something. I feel the character Isolde does not have a strong enough role in the book as i would like or maybe i am just biased because she is my favorite but i would like to see a bigger development in her character. One thing i especcially enjoyed about this book was Luca and Isolde's heating relationship in the midst of all their adventures. This books however i don't think really end ...more
Miłośniczka Książek
Złoto od zawsze kusiło i mamiło ludzkość. Pożądali go zarówno biedni upatrujący w nim poprawy swej marnej sytuacji społecznej, jak i ludzie zamożni, którym mimo posiadanych bogactw ciągle było ich mało. Nie jeden i nie drugi zaprzedał duszę diabłu byleby tylko stać się posiadaczem tego jedynego w swoim rodzaju kruszca. Dla osiągnięcia zysków człowiek gotowy jest na wielkie ryzyko, pal licho ewentualne konsekwencje, kiedy na horyzoncie widnieje szansa na wzbogacenie się. Prawda jest jednak taka, ...more
Anna
Po serię ,,Zakon Ciemności" sięgnęłam po to, aby poznać twórczość pani Gregory. Od jakieś czasu ciekawiły mnie jej książki i gdy nadarzyła się okazji przeczytania to postanowiłam w końcu to uczynić. Jak już sięgnęłam po pierwszą część, tak nie było już mowy o tym, abym nie poznawała kolejnych. Tym sposobem doszłam do trzeciego tomu pod tytułem ,,Złoto głupców".

Pierwszym postrzeżeniem, jakim muszę się podzielić jest to, że tę część czytało mi się o wiele lepiej niż poprzednią, czyli ,,Krucjatę".
Aaron
This is the third volume in an historical fiction series for teens by one of the masters of adult historical fiction, Philippa Gregeory. Each of the previous two books have explored fifteenth century Italy with a group of teenagers drawn into a mystery that has an intriguing paranormal twist.

In this tale, our band of heroes find themselves in the beautiful and wealthy Venice. They have been sent by the Pope to investigate the possibility that someone is creating fake English nobles (gold coins).
tek
Gregory's latest installment in "The Order of Darkness" series becomes drastically more fantastical than its predecessors. We again meet with the hodge podge group of Luca Vero, a novice inquirer (soon to take his holy vows); Brother Peter, young Vero's clerk and an inquirer himself; Lady Isolde, a displaced heiress due to her brother's usury of her wealth and lands; Ishraq, her non-Christian lady-in-waiting; and Freize, servant (or, as they love to call him, general factotum) of Luca Vero.

This
Mary-Jean Harris
This was a captivating and exciting book, much better than the previous book in the series (Stormbringers), and even better than the first one. The characters were developed a lot more, and surprisingly, even Brother Peter showed more of his humanity. Frieze, as usual, was awesome, as well as Luca, though he was quite distracted and tended to forget Isolde many times (which was kind of funny though). The setting (in Venice, 1400s) was very interesting and I certainly learned a lot. I also liked ...more
Victoria
Adriano Del Orange
This was a random read for me, and evident from the beginning that it was aimed at the Young Adult market. The younger end of that spectrum, I would suggest. It immediately struck me that the characters, with their mixture of naivety and a degree of self-satisfaction, could have come from the pages of an Enid Blyton mystery. That said, it was a quick and entertaining read with a compelling plot and some character development. The mystery deepens and darkens and there is a pleasingly sly commenta ...more
Jo Oehrlein
Teri
Philippa Gregory's third novel in the young adult Order of Darkness series is Fool's Gold. I thoroughly enjoyed this read. The story follows five characters during the time of inquisition in 1454 Venice, Italy. Full of historical detail, mystery, comedy, and romance, Gregory offers readers another page turning piece of historical fiction with a look into the attitudes of lusty and greedy Venetians during Carnevale. As Luca, Frieze, Brother Peter, Isolde and Ishraq continue on their journey throu ...more
Christie
Spoilers are marked for Fools' Gold, but proceed with caution if you have not read Stormbringers.

The four horse riders halted before the mighty closed gates of the city of Ravenna, the snow swirling around their hunched shoulders, while the manservent Freize rode up to the wooden doors and using his cudgel, hammered loudly and shouted: "Open up!"

Picking up right after Stormbringers, this installment sees our intrepid heroes riding into Venice in the guise of a wealthy merchant family to ferret
Claire
What I Thought: Oh Philippa Gregory, you have done it again. I am in love with Luca as much as I love all the other characters, I must admit. Fools' Gold is set in the beautiful town of Venice, during Carnival, and the city is full of sin. This of course, makes things between Luca and Isolde even more intense, as they are surrounding by young lovers sneaking away in gondolas. They have come to the city seeking gold coin forgeries and find much more than they anticipated.

Without giving too much
Megan
Well. Where do I even start? I hate almost all of the characters except for Ishraq and occasionally Freize. Isolde is a total twit and Luca is a bit of a dolt. All the conversations seemed really stale and scripted. The one redeeming quality was the wonderful descriptions and details of Venice. I will continue reading this series until it is finished, but please Philippa, for the love of all that is holy, stay writing adult books!
Vickie Brannon
I love this Order of Darkness series! I hated to read the last page and be finished with it! Brother Peter was hilarious when he was trying to convince the magistrates to free Freize, and the escape scene with Drago Nacari and Jacinta was delightfully weird. Thanks Philippa Gregory for such an entertaining and informative story, and thanks to my daughter for introducing me to this author.
Eleanor
I really enjoyed reading this book and felt like I was taken into the past more with this book than the previous books. I feel like with each book the series is improving, however I do feel that Isolde should have had a stronger role because she is often left out of important bits. As well as that I feel like they told too many people who they were when the whole point of their disguise was that people wouldn't know their true identities. Overall though a great book and I am looking forward to t ...more
Rose
I loved this book, I also happened to be in Venice at the time, BUT Isolde's growing love for Luca is really starting to piss me off.
It's so fucking repetitive!
I loved the over-all story line though, I just hope Isolde gets more interesting and less life-less in the next book.
Cheryl Cufari
Love the way Gregory has provided so much history in this book for Young Adults just as she does in her adult historical fiction. Readers take a Medieval journey through Venice engaged an adventure centered around the precious gold so a part of the time periods economy.
Reesha
This book is the third in the series, and I'm loving it! Luca and Islode's relationship finally gets to the point that I'm after. Gold trading and alchemy in Venice, mixed with late night parties. This mission from Luca's order is the best! I hope to read the next book soon :)
Neena
Following the series from the start, I have seen that the characters are quite mysterious and Gregory does not give much away. It is a really good series to pick up historical knowledge and learn about medieval life in an adventurous way.
Pat Jorgenson Waterchilde
Book #3 in this ongoing series. Enjoyable, entertaining although not a whole lot of challenge in the reading category. I kept the pages turning and looking forward to reading the next book in this series.
Donya Ann Leeman
Third in her Order of Darkness series. A little light on characterization but an interesting plot and fascinating details about medieval Venice. A quick read, perhaps more suited to the teen-age reader.
Rebecca Davies
Better than "Stormbringers" but not good enough for a four star in my opinion. I can't tell you how much it frustrated me that we don't find out which woman it was. I would put my bet on Isolde unless Gregory wants to throw in a huge curve ball (to me shes the only one that makes sense). There was also the case with the rings at the end that Luca completely disregarded which i thought was a bit selfish.

I felt at times I was reading a history text book. It felt like the information was thrown at
Marred Elisabeth Jones
Interesting

a pleasant diversion
well written
exciting
a truly delightful read, I await the next installment in this series. Until then I will.ponder what Milord is up to.
Penelope Polins
This series, although written primarily for teenagers, is as beautifully crafted as Ms Gregory's other novels written within an historical context. My only niggle? They're too short!
Cherry
Not as well-written or conceived as the first of the Order of the Darkness series, but did create a ominous outlook for the heroes of this tale
Meghan
Some curious things that I hope will be "solved" in future books, but overall it seemed like a "place-keeper" type of book in the series. Next!
Monica
A lot of fun! Brother Peter, of all people, provides a romping good laugh towards the latter end of the book...not to be missed!
Chroniclesoftania
Young adult book that seems to be part of a series. It's ok, but not as engaging as her adult books. The chapters are long e.g. 70 pages which may explain why I found myself sleepy towards the end of each chapter and losing where I was at!
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 21, 2015 11:36AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover. 3 11 Jul 05, 2014 04:25PM
Goodreads YA—Ask Philippa Gregory a Question! 7 52 Jan 16, 2014 10:01AM
  • The Last Girls of Pompeii
  • The Executioner’s Daughter
  • The Far Dawn (The Atlanteans, #3)
  • Unseen (The Elements Trilogy, #2)
  • The Boleyn Deceit (The Boleyn Trilogy, #2)
  • The Osiris Curse (Tweed & Nightingale Adventures, #2)
  • Witchfall (The Tudor Witch Trilogy, #2)
  • The Lovely and the Lost (The Dispossessed, #2)
  • Diamonds and Deceit (At Somerton, #2)
  • Graphic Classics, Volume 14: Gothic Classics
  • Between Two Worlds
  • Belladonna (Secrets of the Eternal Rose, #2)
  • Cleopatra
  • Curses and Smoke
  • Cleo
  • Circle of Stars (Circle, #2)
  • Cross My Heart
  • Maid of Deception (Maids of Honor, #2)
Philippa Gregory was an established historian and writer when she discovered her interest in the Tudor period and wrote the novel The Other Boleyn Girl, which was made into a TV drama and a major film. Published in 2009, the bestselling The White Queen, the story of Elizabeth Woodville, ushered in a new series involving The Cousins’ War (now known as The War of the Roses) and a new era for the acc ...more
More about Philippa Gregory...

Order of Darkness (4 books)
  • Changeling (Order of Darkness, #1)
  • Stormbringers (Order of Darkness, #2)
  • Untitled (Order of Darkness, #4)
The Other Boleyn Girl (The Tudor Court, #2) The Constant Princess (The Tudor Court, #1) The White Queen (The Cousins' War, #1) The Queen's Fool (The Tudor Court, #5) The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)