Start by marking “Cinderella Stays Late (Grimmtastic Girls, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cinderella Stays Late (Grimmtastic Girls, #1)

Cinderella Stays Late

(Grimmtastic Girls #1)

The authors of the hit Goddess Girls series put a fun and girly twist on another super-popular theme: fairy tales!

Once upon a time, in faraway Grimmlandia...

Published March 25th 2014 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Cinderella Stays Late, please sign up.
Annabeth yes yes yes a quick read and such a good book!
Trinity No. It is actually pretty good.

Start your review of Cinderella Stays Late (Grimmtastic Girls, #1)
Renee
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My daughter (10) and I (Mom) reviewed this book for Mother Daughter Book Reviews. My daughter gives it 5 stars and I give it 4 stars. Here are our thoughts:

DAUGHTER SAYS:

I liked how this story connected with the original Cinderella story and I’d like to have a library like the one in the story. I liked how there was a mystery about the E.V.I.L. Society because it makes me wonder who is a good guy and who is a bad guy. I didn’t like how they called Cinderella, Cinda for short and the “Steps” for
Melanie
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a great start to a fantastic new series! Cinda is starting out at Grimm Academy. She's super excited for her Balls class, hoping they'll get to play masketball, a game in which players wear masks and shoot balls through magical hoops. She only knows her stepsisters and soon makes some new friends, girls that are actually nice to her: Red, Snow and Rapunzel. There's also a new guy in school, Prince Awesome of the Kingdom of Awesomeness. The Steps tricked Cinda into taking the Balls class ...more
Jaymie
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great for fans of Whatever After and Ever After High. Great story and characters. Great world building. Not cheesy - something that is a risk with re-told fairy tales. I really enjoyed this one!
Diamond
*I received a copy of this book in the Goodreads first reads giveaway program*

I've been a fan of Joan Holub & Suzanne Williams for awhile now. Their Goddess Girls series is so delightful I buy it for my niece on every occasion (she loves them)! So when I saw their new foray into middle grade lit, this time with a fairy tale spin on it, I definitely wanted to read it. I can safely say that this is another fabulous world they've created, and fans of Goddess Girls are sure to love this new series.
Elissa Schaeffer
Jan 28, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked the Goddess Girls books and the Heroes in Training books, so I was happy to see another series from the Joan Holub/Suzanne Williams writing team. Overall enjoyable, but I have one fairly minor issue.

Cinda (or as we may already know her as Cinderella) is starting at Grimm Academy, finally! Her stepsisters (or "Steps" as she calls them) have been going for years and have given Cinda some tips, which turn out to be the opposite of what she was hoping for! But she manages to make it through
Erika Messer
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I adored this book - a SUPERB start to the series :) We all love the classic fairy tales, but it is awesome when you can find something that puts a spin on them and that is EXACTLY what the authors of this book did! Cinderella becomes Cinda, the Stepsisters become The Steps, and all of our faves are there including Red, Snow and Rapunzel! And of course who can forget Prince Awesome???? A totally new and magical take on the old stories and perfect for YA readers but I am 37 and enjoyed it immense ...more
Kim Propp
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-fantasy
This was a fun little book. It was short and easy to read, but had substance. The main characters are Cinderella, Rapunzel, Snow White, and Red Riding Hood. Cinderella is introduced to Grimm Academy and arrives late because her mean step-sisters pulled a trick on her. They do that all the time.

Cinderella, (AKA Cinda) makes friends pretty easy with the other girls. She discovers all kinds of magical things about Grimm Academy like her school book that is blank until she tells it what subject she
A Leisure Moment
description

Cinderella and Red Riding Hood have 2 distinct stories to tell. Following their journey to get to the end of their stories will be an entertaining ride any young reader will not want to miss.

To read the rest of the review, and to find out more about the book, simply follow the link: http://www.aleisuremoment.com/2014/03...
Danielle
Feb 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Good book! If you like The School for Good and Evil, you'll enjoy this quick, lighter fare. Cinda was a sweet main character who is hesitant and unsure of herself, but slowly begins to find ways to be assertive or to share herself with new acquaintances. As the authors did with the Goddess Girls series, I am interested to see where the branch out to other characters besides the four main protagonists in Book 1. Recommend this to your early readers!
Athena Shardbearer
Thank you Netgalley & Scholastic for this free copy for a honest review.

This book was in desperate need of an editor, at least the copy that I received. I tried every evening to read this one to my daughter, but I had to keep stopping because sentences didn't make sense.

I may buy an actual copy later for my daughter, but I just couldn't get past all the misspellings and grammatical errors and for now this book gets 2 stars.
Ashleigh
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Read as digital ARC.

As a big fan of Goddess Girls, I was thrilled when I realized Grimm Girls was going to be a thing. Cinderella Stays Late did not disappoint! It's a clever, but simple somewhat twisted retelling, with plenty of familiar characters and hints of storylines to come. I'm pumped. Also, Rapunzel fans will be happy...
Dolores
Feb 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, ntg-arc, azr
Delightful spin on a well-known tale.

It's close enough to the true story, with plenty of magical spins to make it appealing to elementary readers.

The girls in my class loved "Goddess Girls" and they will be delighted to meet the "Grimmtastic Girls" - stories about Rapunzel, Red, and Snow are coming soon.
Patricia
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
In my opinion, I thought it was a really good book to read. When you read the book, you feel many things. Like, sad or mysterious. There are many more words to it, but I read the book a long time ago so, I don't remember some things. Well, I hope the people who read it, enjoyed the book really much.
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
A cute story. Some of the word-play got to be a bit much, but it would probably be amusing for kids. No Cinderella retelling will ever live up to Ella Enchanted or Just Ella, but this was overall an enjoyable reworking of the story.
Received from NetGalley
Krista
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chapter-books, 2014
I really enjoyed the first book of this series. The characters are interesting, friendships are formed, there's evil afoot, and the ending leaves the reader eager to read the next book. I think this will be a popular series among girls in the intermediate grades.
Melissa Moraja
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Such a fun read for any tween girl!
Crystal
I just can't believe how much the awful stepsisters are now ruining Prince Awesome's ball. Oh sorry didn't recognize you, so you want to know what I am talking about well it's about a really amazing story I read, it's called Grimmtastic Girls: Cinderella Stays Late it's by Joan Holub and Suzanne Williams. This story is about a girl named Cinda, as she likes to be named, who starts a new school called Grimm Academy with her stepsisters, and of course what story wouldn't have stepsisters. The step ...more
Pooja Banga
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Once upon a time, in faraway Grimmlandia...

A Grimmtastic girl named Cinderella is starting her first week at Grimm Academy on the wrong foot. Cinda's totally evil stepsisters are out to make her life miserable. The Steps tease Cinda, give her terrible advice about life at the academy, and even make her look bad in front of her new friends, Red, Snow, and Rapunzel! But when Cinda overhears the Steps plotting a villainous deed that could ruin Prince Awesome's ball, Cinda, her new friends, and a pa
M.L.D.
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-with-kiddo
World-building is a bit hit-and-miss in this (although I confess I love Principal Rumplestiltskin's obsession with alchemy). I missed the entire build-up to the (view spoiler) joke and legit chuckled over it. My daughter enjoyed the story, but got squirrely during the reading; pacing in some of the longer chapters was a problem for her. ...more
Dabney
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I enjoyed this! I’m very partial to stories involving fairy tales, and I think this is a fun one! I really enjoyed reading this authors’ work in Goddess Girls, so this was neat to read another series by them. These would probably be good for fans of Whatever After since they have the same fairy tales premise and aren’t dark- just fun!
Aliza Heslop
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I didn't think I would like the book when I started because the Steps were so mean, but I keep reading and I'm glad I did. Its NOT boring and after awhile I couldn't put it down.
Hope Lee
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cinderella meets Prince Awesome. she goes to the ball. what happens next? you'll have to see! read and you'll find out.
jodi raditz
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So Cute

It was a cute story I recommend it to ages 7-14. It was interesting too. I think most people would enjoy the book.
Paul Delacruz
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another nice Cinderella story where young readers will enjoy with similarities to Potter where there is a special school for princesses, princes and other fairy tale characters.
Gabrielle L
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 stars
Anvita
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Perfect but incomplete about relationships
Therru🌙
Tiah Varner
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
LOVE IT!!!!!! Ages 6+.
Small Review
Cute! Great for Goddess Girls fans.

Originally posted on Small Review

I'm a huge fan of the Goddess Girls series by authors Joan Holub and Suzanne Williams, so when I heard they were not only writing yet another series for late-elementary school readers, but it was a FAIRY TALE RETELLING series (my favorite!) I'm pretty sure the noises I made could most accurately be described as "squeals of joy."

After reading the first two installments, its official: I'm hooked. I'm also half tempted to fly back
✨Jinglemarco✨  Маркуша - Мишутка (Nursery rhymes enthusiast)*

As fluffiness goes, this book is very nice, but I admit I enjoyed way more Sleeping Beauty dreams big and Goldilocks breaks in. More nursery rhymes references and so. :)
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Fairest of All (Whatever After, #1)
  • Sink or Swim (Whatever After, #3)
  • Bad Hair Day (Whatever After, #5)
  • Dream On (Whatever After, #4)
  • Beauty Queen (Whatever After, #7)
  • If the Shoe Fits (Whatever After, #2)
  • The Journey to Atlantis (Thea Stilton: Special Edition #1)
  • Seeing Red (Whatever After, #12)
  • Two Peas in a Pod (Whatever After, #11)
  • Abby in Wonderland (Whatever After Special Edition #1)
  • Cold As Ice (Whatever After #6)
  • Genie in a Bottle (Whatever After #9)
  • Once Upon a Frog (Whatever After #8)
  • The Wide-Awake Princess (Wide-Awake Princess, #1)
  • The Land of Stories Collection 4 Book Set (The Land of Stories, #1-4)
  • The Storybook of Legends (Ever After High, #1)
  • Whatever After: Sugar and Spice
  • The Kingdom of Fantasy (The Kingdom of Fantasy #1)
Children's book author:
HELLO DINOSAURS; MIGHTY DADS (a NY Times bestseller); LITTLE RED WRITING; the GODDESS GIRLS series (with Suzanne Williams); THIS LITTLE PRESIDENT, A Presidential Primer; THIS LITTLE TRAILBLAZER, A Girl Power Primer, ZERO THE HERO. Lucky to be doing what I love!

Grimmtastic Girls (8 books)
  • Red Riding Hood Gets Lost (Grimmtastic Girls, #2)
  • Snow White Lucks Out (Grimmtastic Girls, #3)
  • Rapunzel Cuts Loose (Grimmtastic Girls, #4)
  • Sleeping Beauty Dreams Big (Grimmtastic Girls, #5)
  • Snowflake Freezes Up (Grimmtastic Girls #7)
  • Goldilocks Breaks In (Grimmtastic Girls, #6)
  • Gretel Pushes Back (Grimmtastic Girls #8)