Start by marking “Whose Hat is That?” as Want to Read:
Whose Hat is That?

Whose Hat is That?

All the animals look good wearing the hat. But whose hat is it really?

A playful, funny story about the wind, a hat, and a group of animals. For children ages 3 and up.
Published April 15th 2014 by Clavis (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Whose Hat is That?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whose Hat is That?

Start your review of Whose Hat is That?
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
Check out more picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Whoosh! The wind blows a hat up into the air. Does the hat belong to the cat? Or the rooster? Maybe it belongs to the snake or the cow? Or the peacock, the horse or the polar bear? All the animals look good wearing the hat. But whose hat is it really? A playful, funny story about the wind, a hat, and a group of animals.

I didn't hate this book... I picked it up for my nephew because the drawings were simple but had some slight compl
KC
Meh. Not as cute as Mac Barnett's hat books ...more
Donna Mork
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hat is blown from animal to animal, they all claim the hat is theirs and looks good on them. Then the dog gets it and takes it to his owner, the true owner of the hat, it matches her outfit.
Kristina Jean Lareau
This picturebook is exactly what you would expect--a hat blown from animal to animal until it finds its way back to its girl owner. Unfortunately, there were too many animals and not any variation. The illustrations are clean and colorful, but there are more interesting hat books out there, namely, Jon Klassen's "Hat" trilogy. ...more
Phyllis
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Follow the dots and hat's journey from colorful animal to animal until it finds its rightful owner. Story is for a young child; repetition, fun patterns and nice, friendly animals (even the snake!) make this a fun story for a tot. ...more
Cecile
Aug 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
A good book to read with a pre-writer, as they can follow the lines and squiggles through the pages.
Syntha Green
Aug 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This would be good for storytime with the little ones
The wind blows a hat from animal to animal, each one thinking it must be there's because it looks so great on them. A decent hat theme story time, but there are better books out there. ...more
Megan
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
A hat blows through the air, landing on lots of different animals.
Karen
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Repetition isn't always a bad thing. In children's books, it can make the text accessible. It establishes an emphasis. But, if repetition is used, there needs to be a big ending or a twist ending. This book had neither. ...more
Cemeread
Oct 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
The repetition and length of this book could work well with toddlers. The story starts with a hat blowing by, whoosh! and is followed by a formula story with the spreads stating, "There goes the hat. Whose hat is that?" A parade of animals follow each making a noise and thinking the hat looks good on them. Only the animal name and sound change making it perfect for little ones to participate in the reading. The animals vary from farm and pets to even include a polar bear and peacock before the i ...more
Melanie
The wind is blowing a hat around. Numerous animals try the hat on and declare it theirs because it looks good on them. Eventually the hat blows to a dog who proceeds to chew on it. Fortunately the hat is saved by a young girl wearing a dress that matches the hat. She takes it from the puppy and puts it on her head.

Children should feel encouraged to sound along with the animals. The repeating text begs for audience interaction. A great one for storytime.
Barbara
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
The wind blows a colorful plaid hat from one animal to another. Each of the animals, a cat, a rooster, a snake, and a polar bear is sure that the hat is just right for him/her. Eventually, though, the hat ends up right where it belongs. I liked the bright colors of the illustrations and how dotted lines represented the path the hat traveled from one place to the next. It might be fun to pair this one with This Is Not My Hat.
Brindi Michele
easy text and lots of repetition. would work well with toddlers (using hat and animal props). may need to spruce up for PSST so the older kids don't get bored, but could become an interactive story. pair with I Want My Hat Back.... ...more
Elizabeth
May 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think this would work well in baby, toddler and me because of the bright pictures (which I LOVE) and you get to make all the different animal sounds, maybe they could even be the wind. Also might work in a preschool story time. They could DEFINITELY be the wind and the animals.
Aug 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Toddler storytime pick?
jacky
Sep 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Pretty average book featuring animals for young children. Seeing a hat on each of the animals is slightly amusing. I was really drawn to the cover artwork.
Bethe
Feb 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Repetition and movement propel this story via bright, bold illustrations, as each animal declares the hat their own.
Miss Sarah
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, hats, wind
the wind blows a hat away and each animal tries it on and makes a sound but who is the rightful owner. Can't wait to try this with my toddlers and have them make the animal sounds.
Melissa
Possible ST themes: hats, animals, silly
Amy
Oct 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I can just hear my Pre-K students saying "Whoosh" with every turn of the page. A quick repetitive story for young ones. ...more
Yesha
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book has the kind of repetitive rhythm that makes for a good story time book for ages 2 and up!
Paula

"'Whoosh!' The wind blows a hat up into the air. ... All the animals look good wearing the hat. But whose hat is it really?"--Page [4] of cover.
paula
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Animal sounds and bold graphics - nice for pre-k. Extra points for including a peacock (who says "Pheew" - most accurate!). ...more
Elizabeth
A "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" hat that fits all different species of animals? Why not? ...more
Vicki
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
A nice story about a hat that "whoosh's" around. Nice illustrations. ...more
Edward Sullivan
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A hat travels for and wide and sits upon many heads before returning to its rightful owner. Originally published in Belgium and Holland. Translated from Dutch.
Linda Atkinson

• Little Cloud
  • Flash, the Little Fire Engine
  • We Don't Eat Our Classmates
  • My Fire Engine
  • Police: Hurrying! Helping! Saving!
  • Good Night, Little Blue Truck
  • Maisy Goes Camping: A Maisy First Experience Book
  • Norman The Slug With The Silly Shell
  • Little Blue Truck Leads the Way
  • Because
  • The Very Quiet Cricket
  • Trashy Town
  • Dig!
  • Hey Mr. Choo-Choo, Where Are You Going?