Start by marking “Skull In The Wood” as Want to Read:
Skull In The Wood

Skull In The Wood

Deep on Dartmoor, cousins Matt and Tilda discover a skull. And from that moment black things happen. Birds and animals turn bad, and there's talk of the return of an old curse.
Published September 5th 2013 by Chicken House

To ask other readers questions about Skull In The Wood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skull In The Wood

Ellie
Sep 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
An interesting premise, but it didn't quite live up to expectation. My main issue was with the main characters. I found both Tilda and Matt to be whiny and annoying, and so didn't really engage with either. I loved Kitty though, and just wish she had more appearances. I enjoyed the split narration, as I think the book would have struggled without it. There were faintly sinister undertones, but it didn't have the real horror I was hoping for. I also felt the ending was slightly rushed. There aren ...more
Hell
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm not sure how I feel about this one.
Whilst it wasn't bad, I also can't say that for me I found it all that interesting.
From the get go I couldn't gel with Matt or Tilda (though their names gave me a small chuckle when I realised the word play) and overall I just found the story didn't live up to its potential.
And boy was that a whole lot of potential with Old Scratch Wood and the gabbleratchet, I wish thee'd been a lot more about those things in particular and less about Tilda or Matt being b
Julia Thum
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it
My Thoughts

I picked this book because I loved the title and the setting, on Dartmoor, takes me back to my childhood of stomping across the moors, losing wellies in the bogs and fearing the fog that can fall in minutes and lose you forever ! I am also something of a sucker for Chicken House books so knew I could trust this one to be good before I opened the first page.

The story of The Skull in the Wood is told by three main characters - Tilda, Matt and Kitty - who alternately recount events as th
SHANE ELLIS
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Very atmospheric.
Sabrina
Aug 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Inhalt:

Matt braucht dringend einen Tapetenwechsel, denn er ist total genervt von seiner auf Wolke sieben schwebenden Mutter und deren neuen Lebensgefährten Paul. Warum in sein Weg ausgerechnet ins verlassene Darkmoor zu seinem Onkel Paul und dessen beiden Töchtern Tilda und Kitty führt, weiß Matt selbst nicht so genau. Kaum angekommen schlägt ihm seitens seiner Cousine Tilda eine ordentliche Ladung Verachtung und Hass entgegen und bei einem Ausflug in den Old Scratch Wood, der eigentlich zu eine
Wallowing Hippo
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Nov 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scholastic
3.5 Stars
Skull In The Wood is a cute little read, and great for ages nine to early teen. It's spooky, without being scary and doesn't contain any romance, cursing or mature themes. Matt and Tilda are more alike than they'd both care to admit. Both only thirteen, they're at that age where your in between a child and those difficult teen years and refuse to put aside their difference for the harmony of the farm and pending curse. Tilda believes that Matt's m
Adele Broadbent
Watch out for spoilers below...

Matt goes to stay with his uncle and cousins on their farm – escaping London, his mother and her new boyfriend Paul who he clashes with. His own Dad is off sailing again, so Matt decides his uncle’s farm is ‘his best bet,’ even though he hasn’t seen them in years.
When he is picked up by his uncle, it is awkward. When their car seems to be attacked by black birds on the way back to the farm, Matt is rattled.
Matt and his older cousin Tilda clash badly. Tilda is still
Luna
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Skull in the Wood reads like a classic horror film, which in this case compliments the book perfectly. The writing is atmospheric and from the very first chapter you can picture everything clearly, the farm, the wood and Gabe.

The book is narrated between Matt and Tilda with an occasional interlude from Kitty, Tilda’s little sister. I liked the split narration. I think if it had been just Tilda’s POV I would have really struggled. With the exception of Kitty I didn’t particularly like any of
Matilda Rose
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Matt goes to stay with his cousin, Tilda. Tilda, her sister Kitty and Uncle Jack live on the farm near Old Scratch Wood. When Tilda and Matt go down to the wood together, they find a skull of a curlew. When they find it, the Gabblerachet, a hoard of hounds and geese with razor sharp teeth, is on its way to cause trouble. Matt and Tilda work together to stop the Gabblerachet.

I thought this book was good. I felt for the characters in the story, especially when the Gabblerachet came. I have been re
Barbara
Zur Rezension erhalten, sonst hätte ich es nicht gelesen. Eine Schauergeschichte im englischen Moor, die abwechselnd aus der Sicht von Tilda und Matt erzählt wird, zwei Cousins, die ihren Unmut aneinander auslassen. Nicht wirklich gruselig, dafür nerven die Streitereien zu sehr, mit einem etwas konstruierten Ende.

(Meine Rezension für den Borromäusverein ist hier zu finden: http://www.borromaeusverein.de/medien...)
Esther
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful tale about misunderstandings, anger and family. It's for children but the theme is ageless. It's also atmospheric and well written and dark. Though it's an easy read and the characters could be drafted much better I didn't want to put it down.
Rachel
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Im a big fan of spooky scary ghosty stories, and this one was that! Ancient curses and spooky woods! A very moreish and completely original, not like any other paranormal/ghost/weird non human creatures book ive read and actually, if i lived on the moors and had read this book, I'd be terrified!
Tawny
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
It lacked what would have made it good. It wasn't terrible, but could have been better.

I'm sorry.
Bianca
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I like it
Aria
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A stunning thriller that will keep you on the edge of your seat while reading it, and stay on your mind long after putting it down. Perfect for teens and adults alike.
Katy
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book. Could not put it down. It is such a page turned and I would recommend this book to anybody who is thinking about reading it.
Vincent Ripley
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Book review will be posted on http://www.mrripleysenchantedbooks.com/
Bethany Woodroof