Start by marking “Peekaboo Morning” as Want to Read:
Peekaboo Morning

Peekaboo Morning

A toddler plays a game of peekaboo, and you're invited to play too. First there's Mommy to find, with Daddy not far behind. Then Puppy comes peeking around the corner, and a favorite toy train brings the toddler to Grandma and Grandpa. Isadora's brilliant, joyful pastel illustrations capture the familiar and cozy people, toys and animals that will delight babies.

Join this
Published May 27th 2002 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

Start your review of Peekaboo Morning
Chinook
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Recently we went to a SURJ meeting where we talked about diversity in reading. One point made was how it's easy enough to find POC characters in books about issues, like Rosa Parks or the Underground Railroad, but harder to find books with diverse characters just living normal, day-to-day life. And this is fabulous - Kait likes the peekaboo/guessing game aspect of the book and she loves books about babies.
Vicki
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really fun to use in baby storytime with scarves -- hand those out to the parents before you read, and the babies will get a huge kick out of it.
Melissa Andrews
May 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a great book, especially when the child has started to identify the people around him/her and things in his/her environment. It's a simple book - but they love it! One page will say, "Peekaboo, I see..." - and then when the page is turned, mommy or daddy or grampa or train is revealed.

We (baby and I) absolutely love it. He can even "read" it by himself.
Casandria
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture, toddler, baby
One of the very few books that actually works for baby story time! Soooo cute!
Cheryl
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Bad blurb, excellent book. Would be even better as a board book. Perfect for wobblies (one-year-olds, just starting to walk).
James Oscar
This immediately has become one of my favorite books! My mommy and I read it three times together before bedtime tonight.
Brittney
Jan 26, 2020 added it
Shelves: week4
Text to self:
This book reminds me of when I was a child my parents would always play peekaboo with me. I remember my dad will put his big hands over his face and I would try to pull his hands down to see him. He didn’t allow me to, but eventually, he open them and said peekaboo in the silliest voice. My mom would do the same except she would cover my eyes And do the peekaboo game.
Leslie Stair
BOOK: Peekaboo Morning by Isadora

CLASS:
Baby and Me Music & Art Class
LINKS:

BOOK SHARING:
Along with our songs, music, and other activities, I read this book to the babies after showing families some of the signs from the book-mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, dog, friend, you, me, love. I also had everyone do all of the “peek-a-boo” parts with me that repeat in the book and to do the signs as they appeared in the story.

ART ACTIVITY:
Since this class fell on Valentine’s Day I decided to do a project tha
Kiana
Oct 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Peekaboo Morning by Rachel Isadora is a really easy read. This book would probably catch the attention of young readers who a probably age 5 and younger. Being that this book is an easy read the reader who takes upon the task to read this book can understand what exactly is being signified in the book. The language in the book is very simple and repetitive that a young child is able to catch on before the end of the book. The illustrations in this book are rich and illustrious with many colors. ...more
June
Feb 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: librarians, parents, teachers
A big hit with the laptime crowd. Everyone played peekaboo. Of course we do a peekaboo rhyme afterwards. There's a Peekaboo Bedtime too for bedtime programs. 2/15/12

Used for a morning lap time peekaboo program 1/30/13

Used again in lap time and the parents really got into doing peekaboo with their babies. Someone checked out the Peekaboo Bedtime I had on display in the back. 4/23/13

Used for African American characters. The mothers really got into doing peekaboo. Should of had the Peekaboo Bedtime
Becky
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really like this book. The illustrations are beautiful. It is a sweet and simple peekaboo game that children can join in with.

Before each picture that reveals the "peekaboo" portion there is a picture either looking straight at the peeking child or from the view behind the child giving clues to what is to come. This allows the book to feel interactive and more captivating. My two year old can't get enough, especially now that he knows what's coming.

I will say that my little one was slightly
Aleria
I decided to stay up & at least read two or three of the picture books I checked out from the Library.
I found this story to be very cute, it reminded me of a book called "Hi, Clouds" I use to read on repeat as a child.

But with this one it's from a point of view of a toddler & the surprise of what they'll see next. The whole time I was reading this book in my head, I imagined myself reading this to a group of toddlers. An just seeing there curious eyes or squeals of excitement of what would happ
Erin
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Peekaboo Morning follows a busy toddler as he goes through his day and plays a game of peekaboo. With its simple and repetitive text, “Peekaboo! I see…”, the book takes the reader through a peekaboo game of see and share as the toddler finds his mommy, daddy, puppy, and other familiar objects. Each person or object the toddler sees is clearly labeled; encouraging print awareness, vocabulary learning, and narrative skills. Rachel Isadora’s soft pastel illustrations are soothing and charming, and ...more
Vivian
Mar 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It's a good thing I had selected this book as an option for our story time on "Pesky Flies & Pretty Butterflies". Why? Because this works very well with the "Lap" babies, and we had a lot of them attending this week.

Little children respond to the "Peekaboo" game. Each page begins with peekaboo, and when the page is turned you see who is playing. There's Mommy and Daddy and Puppy and Train and Grandma (holding a frog) and Grandpa (with a tickly mustache). So, you can give clues for the children t
Monique Smith
This story follows the bedtime routine of a toddler as he prepares for bedtime. It is great for young children as a read aloud. The text offers a repetitive text peek-a-boo and an object. The illustrations are easy for children to predict what the object is before they turn the page which helps students be included.
The objects included in the story are things that are universal and children could relate. Some examples are parents, family, and pets.
Donna
Oct 28, 2013 added it
Shelves: picture-books
PEEKABOO MORNING is the perfect picture book for the very young! From the looks of the vivid, expressive, precious illustrations, the baby depicted is a "new" walker. The "peekaboo" theme is perfectly executed with mystery on every spread. The right hand pages each give a hint of who's behind the door, newspaper, bush, etc.; turn the page and "peekaboo"---there's your giggly answer.

I plan on purchasing this for my future grandchildren. Adorable and guaranteed fun!
Camille
This book about a toddler walking around peekaboo-ing with his/her family and friends is pretty fun for a baby storytime, or some one-on-one snuggling with your toddler. I use it for circle time after playtimes, to give parents a little bonding moment when they play peekaboo with their child between each stanza of the book. Or, I use it in baby storytimes/lapsits, when I have peekaboo minute (the parents have a choice between using their hands or a scarf for peekaboo).
Mary Ann
This book is so much fun to read with toddlers - they'll start playing peekaboo as you're reading the book! Help your children guess who's coming in the next page by looking at the clues in the pictures. The beautiful illustrations of a cheerful African American toddler will make you smile, and their rich, pastel colors engage children and draw their attention.
Renee
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Summary: A toddler plays peek-a-boo throughout the day.

C loves this book (age 2)! Toddler says "Peekaboo, I see...." with a visual hint on the page. On the next page we see the person like "grandma!"

Good for encouraging language with a young child. Great for a toddler story class or to use with one child cuddled up on your lap.
Christy
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Meredith
Oct 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juliette
Love this. Great, vibrant illustrations. Simple text... Peekaboo, I see -----. I love that this book introduces so many relationships (mommy, daddy, grandma, grandpa, friend, dog, toys). I also love that on the "I see" page, there is a hidden bit of the object or person being peeked at... Fun to guess with children at part to whole - who could this be? Love this book for infants and toddlers!
Samantha
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fun read aloud in which a toddler explores his environment. Text follows the pattern "Peekaboo! I see..." and acrylic illustrations provide picture clues as to what the toddler will see on the next page.

Great read aloud!
Heather
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Robin's absolute favorite right now. Over-and-over again, she reaches for this one. It's time to return it to the library, kid, sorry! I love the colorful pictures and simple repeated refrain...and it's so friendly and cheery. I really think she does recognize herself in the baby, too...
Miss Kate
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
A cute choice for toddler storytime. I love the recurring character from "Uh oh!" and the childhood mischief and wonder is celebrated. Again the images are vibrant and comforting. Really, quite joyous.
Ashlyn Barker
This is a bit too predictable of a story line for me, and most children I think. However, babies, toddlers, and maybe even preschool kids might enjoy that much repetition. I wouldn't plan on using it in elementary classrooms.
Alma
May 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was given as a gift from a good friend and my daugther loves it. It's good length-wise for my toodler's attention span and the content entertained and even delighted her, with the anticipation that is "peekaboo".
Lynn Plourde
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: board-book
The refrain "Peek-a-boo! I see my mommy." then daddy and puppy and friend and more repeats through the book. The text is accompanied by vibrant illustrations of a delighted child. Simple, fun, satisfying,
Kris
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The kids in my library story time group enjoyed this even more than I thought they would. They had fun guessing what would be on the next page, and the illustrations were well-thought out. They really depicted things from a toddler's perspective.
Gwen Marie
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: babies
The bright illustrations and large bold text make this book visually engaging for readers. Repetition of words enables parents to easily read along. Provides an opportunity to make a game out of the story with older readers.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters: An African Tale
  • Your Baby's First Word Will Be DADA
  • Don't Touch My Hair!
  • The Family Book
  • I Will Take a Nap! (Elephant & Piggie, #23)
  • Whose Knees Are These?
  • Leo Can Swim
Rachel Isadora is an award-winning children's author and illustrator. She has written children's books on multiple topics including ballet, life in America and Africa, and has illustrated several Brother Grimm tales in an African setting. She is most well-known for her Caldecott Honor Award book "Ben's Trumpet". She was a ballet dancer before she became an illustrator and children's writer.

News & Interviews