Start by marking “Survival Songs” as Want to Read:
Survival Songs

Survival Songs

"Say girl now and we see ourselves in kitchens. See ourselves in graves. But still we read our horoscopes."

Survival Songs is a rerelease of Meggie Royer's first collection of poems, which was a finalist in the GoodReads Choice Awards for the Best Poetry Book of 2013. This edition includes new work, including Royer's most popular poem, "The Morning After I Killed Myself." R
Published February 13th 2016 by Where Are You Press (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Survival Songs, please sign up.
Meggie Royer Some of the poems are, but most are a mix of imagination and personal experiences!

Isabella
Aug 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing! The writing is raw, beautiful, and speaks nothing but the truth. I would definitely recommend it.
Kcarp003
Sep 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
If Bella from Twilight ever read a book during the time when she was depressed because her abusive boyfriend left her, this would be the book. Geared for emo teens. Very superficial.
Chelsea
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
(Actually more of a 4.5/5)

The book finally came today, and I read it, re-read it, and re-read it again after that - I just can't get enough of Meggie's writing. Her tumblr is one of my most viewed, I'm just addicted.

My favourite is the one about still not finding love even when you're 20 - what a beautiful thing to write about. I've never, ever read anything else that has captured that feeling of secretive loneliness before. God, her work is incredible. I loved every page.

The only thing that bot
Colleen Brown
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've been following Meggie Royer on Tumblr for almost a year now, and I was not surprised that her book was going to be beautifully daring. Meggie has a way of taking what you believe in most, and opening up new worlds and words to make you understand more thoroughly on why you feel that way, or why you should feel that way. Also, she helps you understand that everyone should be allowed to love anyone, no matter what. Meggie is a beautiful woman, and her words are mystifying. If you have not rea ...more
Davia
Recommends it for: Everyone
Meggie's writing is utterly breathtaking. Her way with words hits home every time and leave you craving more !
annika
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, own, 2018
Loved it. Here are some of my favorite parts:

There was nothing about survival that was easy, but
we tricked each other into believing it could
eventually become a habit.

- LOVE POEM ABOUT A COUPLE IN A PSYCH WARD

The year I grew homesick for my own body was the same year
the local police station put a limit on the number of silences
we could hand out, so we treated our words like mints
and placed them on everyone else's tongues.

- THE YEAR OF LIMITED SILENCES

You are lightning.
And lightning wil
Wen Budro
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow.
I was blown away by this work. I could relate to every honest, heartbreaking, hopeful word. This is a literary work for "us." And we know who we are....don't we.

One of my faves (of many) fell under the category of Compulsions. Titled: THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM. Again, every single word spoke to me.

And for anyone who's different....anyone that doesn't quite belong....there is: FOR BOYS WHO HAVE BEEN MISTAKEN FOR GIRLS.

"You are lightning.
And lightning will always be lightning, no matter
how m
Beetqueen
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of my students gave me this book to read. She found Royer's poems and they spoke to her. Two days later, before I could even open this book, she wanted to give me another of Royer's books, but I had to put her off until I got through a couple other books.

I am glad I read this book. Royer's poems speak to so many young women and teenage girls. Even at this point in my life, I found pieces of my younger self, and sadly, still pieces of current self. Royer does a beautiful job of speaking to t
Brooke
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
For a while now, I haven't been reading poetry - including Meggie's work. To read this book twice, cover to cover, sent shivers down my spine and made my head whirl. Meggie is unbelievably talented, her poems are so well put together, and the whole collection fit together perfectly.

The only downfall I can see with this book, is the inclusion of poems from Meggie's tumblr blog. Although they are great poems, I've read them before... Still though, a great collection, and I hope to get my hands on
Nicole
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
This one made me cry.
Ivy
Feb 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry
Melodramatic, juvenile, trite. Recommended to me based on my love for Richard Siken. I was unimpressed.
Mugren Ohaly
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
I liked a couple poems, but the rest lacked emotion and tried too hard to either be meaningful or witty.
Hari Patel
Shelves: favorites
"So proud to own a copy,
its been amazing following her writing journey "
Lainey
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Poetry that makes the hairs on your arms stand up. Royer, to put it simply, completely dismantles the idea that young adults can't write about meaningful topics.
Fatma Lootah
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this. Strong messages. Beautifully written. Haven't read a good poetry book like this in a long while.
Μυτσούκο
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I was a teenager, this was one of my favourite Englsih books of poetry; I still love it.
Camilla Kristensen
Edit, November 2014: The piece, "For twenty-year-olds who have never been loved" is so breathtakingly beautiful. I've had a very hard time with love and accepting my self and that piece really helped me. I'm so thankful for it. Read it here.

“That was the year I learned the Inuits had over 50 words
for snow, and felt saddened because they only used two of them”

This little thin book doesn’t look like much when you’re holding in it your hands. Don’t be fooled - it contains pure magic. I’ve been a fa
Apple
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Like most early buyers of this book, I followed Meggie on Tumblr. Meggie was my introduction to the honest, emotional poetry community on the website, and has always been one of my favorite poets.

While reading the book, it was so difficult to choose a favorite because they were all lovely and raw. That was until I found the poem that made me discover her blog was included here.

What I love about Meggie's poetry is that she speaks (and speaks very well) for those of us who once had a relationshi
Kelsey
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I must admit, I am somewhat of a new comer to the poetry scene. I stumbled across Royer on her writingsforwinter tumblr blog. I was blown away with the first poem I read, and the second, and the third, etc. I instantly ordered Survival Songs, and read it cover to cover in one sitting. I ordered her second book, Healing Old Wounds with New Stitches as soon as it was made available and finished it in one sitting too.

It amazes me how Royer is able to write about such a wide range of topics, yet na
Saiber
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
2015 Reading Challenge - Poetry Books.

I have been following Meggie's writing on her blog for sometime now and they are phenomenal. So when I saved up and made a decision to buy this one, I was really happy. 70 pages worth of poems.

Thing is, there are not 70 pages full of poems. Evry new poem starts on a new right hand side page, so the number of poems in total are less. The concept and design are amazing though. Black font on white paper and two red paper to indicate start and end and poems div
Emily
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I was captivated by Meggie's writing when I found her on Tumblr, so naturally I needed her first published work. While sometimes the imagery is repetitive, overall this collection gives an honest and raw interpretation mental illness and abuse. Each poem contains a life of its own, a story to be told, and in turn becomes the voices of the unheard. Survival Songs is not for the faint of heart--it depicts the real emotions behind traumas that some could not even dream of experiencing. But more peo ...more
Maggie
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was lovely, it really made me think. I would definitely recommend if you have interests in mental health issues, realistic type fiction, or just wonderful poetry. I will definitely re read this book many many times and I have hopes of owning a physical copy soon to hold. Some wonderful poems to look out for are "On Having a Boyfriend With OCD", "The Elephant in the Room", "The Year of Limited Silences","Dating a Mutual Ghost", and "Letter to my Future Daughter When She Wants to Kill He ...more
Irene Qazi
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
All I can say is that this book honestly saved me at a tough point in my life. Don't let its short length deceive you– each poem is worth 100 pages of meaning and each will touch you in a different way. With the book divided into 7 sections, I found comfort in a different section each day. "For Twenty-Year-Olds Who Have Never Been Loved" is written on a card and taped onto my wall. It gives me a warm heart every single time I read it, so it's fortunate that I have it posted right by my door for ...more
Dusty O'connor
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm not generally the poetry-type. However, her poetry isn't so difficult that it goes over my head, nor is it so dumbed down that I feel insulted. It's visually rich and the imagery crafted into every line gives me a clear picture of what she's trying to say. This is the perfect poetry book for someone who isn't really even into poetry that much.
Cassidy
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: trauma, poetry
I adore this author, and this book, and I can't even handle how much it inspires me to write. I could go on forever, but I won't. If you like poetry- if you like Adrienne Rich and/or Warsan Shire and/or Clementine Von Radics- read this book.
Emma
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Royer's writing is raw and pungent with the grit of life. This collection is beautiful and should be read by everyone - her universal themes make it appealing to everyone across the globe, crossing racial, sexual, and age barriers with finesse and ease.
Sierra Annaliese
Not a lot of poems within, but I love this woman's writing so much that I'll buy anything she writes. Her metaphors, style, and personal narratives constantly blow me away with each and every re-read.

5 out of 5 stars.
Haja
Apr 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Certain parts were personally too dark for my taste. However some poems were just absolutely out of this world. The type that you read over and over again. Survival Songs is a very intense, emotional, and captivating read.
Gemma Lee
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the most painfully beautiful poetry collections I've ever had the pleasure of reading. wow. the language is so powerful and artistic. the poems themselves are so relateable, cunning, truthful and irreplaceable. the themes obviously stem from the raw and gritty depth of personal experience.
Michaela Nee
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Hands down, my favorite poet. Meggie is incredible with words.

• I Will Never Be Beautiful Enough to Make Us Beautiful Together
  • As Often As Miracles
  • Bough Down
  • Racing Hummingbirds
  • The Anatomy of Being
  • New Shoes On A Dead Horse
  • The World Will Follow Joy: Turning Madness into Flowers (New Poems)
  • Black Aperture