Start by marking “The Secret Language of Dreams: A Visual Key to Dreams and Their Meanings” as Want to Read:
The Secret Language of Dreams: A Visual Key to Dreams and Their Meanings

The Secret Language of Dreams: A Visual Key to Dreams and Their Meanings

a great book to read
Published September 1st 1994 by Chronicle Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Language of Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Language of Dreams

Aug 04, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's a decent book on symbols, but written for the beginner, not the intermediate or expert. It definitely has a great collection of illustrations, but I found myself frustrated by some of the brief explanations.
Christy
Jan 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book, great photos/art, great information. I always like to get more than one perspective on these type of things, though. This book is definitely not an all-in-one authority on the topic, which is obvious from it's size, but a great start and very informative. to it's credit, for it's size, it was more than I expected.
Karen
May 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful reference for symbols of all kinds.
SmarterLilac
Feb 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure which is more engrossing—the text or the illustrations. Thoroughly fascinating.
Aiden
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The pictures are fun to look at. Mostly focuses on European culture and symbology with occasional references to other cultures. If you're looking for something systematic, in-depth, comparative across cultures keep looking.
Debra
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book written by a psychologist covers dream interpretation via theory and viewpoints of numerous, prominent psychiatrists/psychologists in the field. Most helpful is a thematic approach.
Samantha Taylor
Nov 28, 2016 rated it liked it
PnvEs
Melanie
Jul 02, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't have to do much at work today and had a look at this beautiful book and fell in love with the illustrations! Very charming.
And I dream a lot...so this one is definitely a good read.

*******

I read the book and must say I didn't read something new. The common things
I read before and there are a few practical examples of dream/dream patterns and symbols are explained.
The book could be a good introduction into the topic if you don't know
Morgan
Jan 30, 2009 marked it as reference
I tend to shy away from books about dreams, which may seem odd for someone who analyzes people's dreams on a daily basis. It's not that I want to revel in the ignorance of not knowing the history and comparative methodology of sream interpretation, it's just that dream-work has always been a labor of intuition for me and I'm afraid of screwing that up—like the musical savant who enrolls in the conservatory and loses everything he had being put in the box of formal education. So far the book in i ...more
Austin
Apr 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Not really a linear book, more of a dream encyclopedia (if there CAN actually be one). It details common dream symbolism and themes. I found this book in a strange store, and it seemed to be the only thing that stood out. It ended up being quite a gem. I've loaned it out so many times, I'm not sure who actually has it at the moment. If you know of it's where-abouts please let me know. Then again, if you have it, you're probably going to try to keep it, so just keep in mind, Imma find you.
TJ
Feb 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting book on dreams. I purchased this book hoping to be able to decipher some of my dreams. However I was surprised at the history and educational piece of this book. It did get into the symbology of the dreams but gave a history on dream research and sleep stages.
Samantha Verdin
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favs, psychology
Fue amor a primera vista. Desde el empastado hasta sus hermosísimas ilustraciones. ¡Creo que me dieron más por mi dinero! Sobre el contenido, creo que te aporta muchas otras maneras para interpretar tus sueños. Definitivamente enriquece mis ejercicios de interpretación...
Anthony Patten
Good insight, good general information. One of those books you get if you can memorize info, not if you count on understanding.
Gloria
Feb 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Cute. Interesting. Wish it was more indepth
Lynn
Sep 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Definitely, a great quick reference book for understanding the pysche and your dreams.
Jeff
Oct 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always fun to trace symbols. & meanings . A good place to start
aldo zirsov
good and comprehensive book on symbology for beginners...
rating: 3.5 of 5
Karli
Oct 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Definitely pretty heavy on Freud, less so on Jung and others. It's really just a superficial gloss, could've gone much much deeper.
Css Library
Jul 29, 2013 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone and no one
Recommended to Css by: peter paul and mary
Shelves: reference
Erica Yatsuk
almost makes you want to take an art therapy class doesn't it?
Stef
Sep 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good overall book on the meanings and background of symbols. I use it as a resource to look things up, rather than something that I've read from cover to cover.
Monique
Mara
rated it it was ok
May 27, 2010
M.
rated it did not like it
Aug 27, 2008
Luann
Jun 08, 2008

• Altars: Bringing Sacred Shrines into Your Everyday Life
  • Wicca + Living Wicca + The Complete Book of Incense, Oils and Brews
  • Art and Symbols of the Occult: Images of Power and Wisdom
  • The Complete Dictionary of Symbols
  • The Scalpel and the Soul: Encounters with Surgery, the Supernatural, and the Healing Power of Hope
  • Inner Simplicity: 100 Ways to Regain Peace and Nourish Your Soul
  • The God of the Witches
  • The Celtic Shaman: A Handbook (Earth Quest)
  • The Wicca Garden: A Modern Witch's Book of Magickal and Enchanted Herbs and Plants
  • The Hero Within: Six Archetypes We Live By
  • The Encyclopedia of Mythology: Classical, Celtic, Norse
  • The Teachings of Don Carlos: Practical Applications of the Works of Carlos Castañeda
  • After Life