Start by marking “The One Thing” as Want to Read:
The One Thing

The One Thing

Maggie Sanders might be blind, but she won't invite anyone to her pity party. Ever since losing her sight six months ago, Maggie's rebellious streak has taken on a life of its own, culminating with an elaborate school prank. Maggie called it genius. The judge called it illegal.

Now Maggie has a probation officer. But she isn't interested in rehabilitation, not when she's
Published September 8th 2015 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about The One Thing, please sign up.
Marci Curtis Oh wow! Thanks so much for your kind words about my story! They really mean a lot to me! :)
Marci Curtis Awh...you're so welcome! Thanks for reading! <3

Start your review of The One Thing
Lola
I didn’t think this book would be so emotional.

It sure didn’t start like that. Maggie is full of snark, so she isn’t the type to wallow in her misery. She’s blind and it sucks, but what can she do about it?

Looks like she didn’t need to find answer to her question, because the answer found HER.

And he goes by the name of Ben.

Before you start rolling your eyes, know this: Ben is ten years old. He is NOT the love-interest. He is a friend. And the only person whom Maggie can see.

AND, he stole my
Hazel (Stay Bookish)
Visit Stay Bookish for more book reviews and to win a hardback copy of The One Thing!

When a book has you staying up late and crying at 2 in the morning, you know it’s undeniably good. The One Thing, however, is not only undeniably good but brilliant. Upon finishing in one sitting, The One Thing turned instantly into one of the best YA contemporary books I’ve read this year.

I was lucky to receive an early draft from the author and while I was more than excited to read, I didn’t particularly know
Marci Curtis
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I thought this book was pretty darn good, all 199,376 times that I read it.

But then, I might be a smidge biased.
Kels
That's the one thing about being blind: you see people as they really are.

Six months ago, Maggie became sick with meningitis that caused her sudden blindness, but when that happened she lost more than her eye sight. She lost her dreams of going big with soccer and getting college scholarships, she lost her friends and even her relationships with her parents, which became distant and awkward. Yet things change when an ungraceful fall lands her with a bruised head, and something she never
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, ebook, z2015, netgalley
* I received an arc in exchange for an honest review.

This book was really really good! It definitely surpassed all of my expectations. It was funny, sad, real, heart-wrenching, well-written, relatable, smart and fun to read. I think this book is going to be really popular because it's so good! As for Marci Lyn Curtis, I hope she writes more amazing novels like this one. This was an incredible debut novel! It kind of reminded me of something Sarah Dessen would write (one of the brilliant ones)
Mary
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to NetGalley and Disney-Hyperion for providing this ARC.

Oh. My. Gosh. I have no words to express just how much I loved this book. It’s one of the best books that I have read this year and let me tell you, I’ve read a lot of amazing books in 2015. But this one flew right there near the top. It’s absolutely fantastic, cute, beautiful, so intense at times, heartbreaking at others (yes, I cried, shut up). I just want to shove this in everyone’s hands and make them read it, because it is
Laurence R.
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED IT SO MUCH! Seriously, read this book.

I was intrigued by the description of this novel, especially since I wasn't sure what it would be about. I didn't know what to expect, but it made me want to read it even more. I'm so glad I did!

I absolutely loved Ben and Maggie's friendship. Ben is the most adorable kid ever and I just want him for myself (which sounds weird, but it's okay. You'll understand if you read this book). I loved how he reacted to Maggie's news about her seeing him even
Banny Carstairs
RESEÑA EN ESPAÑOL
Actual Rate 3.5

Maggie lost her sight and for the first time in six months, she is able to see something again. Well, someone. Ben, a ten-year-old with a huge heart.
Discovering why is it she can see him and only him, our MC discovers how to see possibilities for her new life.

I am surprised by how much I enjoyed The One Thing, it has a nice balance of humor and emotionality, character development and is just great for a light read.
Danielle (Love at First Page)
3-3.5 stars

As a contemporary romance fan, I expected to love The One Thing. But poor book, it had the unfortunate luck to be read right after Illuminae. When you follow a mind-blowing book with a good book, well, it's hard not to compare, and this one doesn't hold up... to Illuminae or to other contemporaries I've loved this year. I just felt like something was missing, something that would make it memorable for me in the future.

That's not to say that The One Thing doesn't have a lot going for
Yvonne (bookishpanda)
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE! ♥

First of all: I received an early copy of this book from Netgalley and I'm over the moon excited that I got to read this gorgeous book! It's Marci's debut and I already know I'll read her next books as well!

Halfway through the book I already knew this would become one of my favorite books ever and well, it's true. It's funny, sarcastic, serious and heartwarming ... it's emotional, unbelievably sad but at the same time cute also makes you so, so happy. Seriously, I love this book with all my
Addi • Pages Within Me
Well, I sat down intending to read the first few chapters of this book to get a feel for it. That was at 9 pm. It is now 2 in the morning, and I have just finished this emotional roller coaster that sucked me in and mercilessly spit me out a complete mess. I literally did not move once I started this book- hence my VERY full bladder at the moment. (sorry for the tmi)

Maggie Sanders is a girl that has recently lost her sight, and with it, her spunk in life. She is drifting by day by day, doing
Andrea
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary, arc

Six months ago Maggie lost her sight, naturally her life was turned upside down, she lost her friends and her soccer dreams. Then meets a ten year old named Ben, and she's really surprised about the fact she can see him, and everything around him.

I expected this to be better, especially with that unique premise. As a huge fan of YA contemporary I expected to love this but I just didn't have the same reaction everyone else seemed to have. This book wasn't bad it was just a little too
Chelsea
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You guys, this book was SO GOOD. If you’ve been following my reviews for a while you know I don’t hand out five star ratings for nothing, and this book wholeheartedly deserves it.

I will be the first to say this isn’t a perfect book. It has a number of little flaws that I was well aware of whilst reading it, which made me think to myself, ‘then is this really a five star book?’

And the answer is yes, it definitely is. It got me to thinking about the other four star books I’ve read this year, but
Lindsay Currie
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I had the distinct pleasure of being able to read this book recently, and IT. IS. AMAZING. Fantastic plot? Check. Original and compelling characters? Check. Unique voice? You bet. THE ONE THING drew me in from the first sentence and never let me go. You're going to want to keep your eyes open for this one, and the author Marci Curtis. She's going to light the shelves on fire when this comes out.

* While Marci is a friend of mine, this review is an objective one of her work.
Jayvee  "Writer For Misfits"
Find out how you can win a signed copy of The One Thing by Marci Lyn Curtis on Writer For Misfits. There'll be 2 giveaways open to US residents and an INTL giveaway.

We take a lot of things for granted, that's for sure. And if we lose a thing that means a lot to us, then we'd feel like nothing else matters anymore, that we're incomplete and we cannot function anymore. The One Thing serves as an eye-opener, that even in times of pain and obstacles, there is hope and you are not alone.

Maggie, a 17
Nicola
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it

The One Thing tells us the story of teenager Maggie who has been blind for six months due to a complication with meningitis. She is struggling to come to terms with her blindness and to adapt to her new way of living. Maggie soon meets ten year old Ben who has spina bifida but is so full of life that she is quickly drawn to his infectious personality. But there is also the small matter of her being able to see him and a small area surrounding him. She doesn't know if she's somehow
Linda (un)Conventional Bookworms
The One Thing is one of the sweetest and most strangely heartbreaking stories I have ever read!

This and all my other reviews are originally posted on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews
Christine Alibutud
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I wondered what that sort of ignorance would feel like, wondered what it would be like to not yearn to see the things I loved—the sky and the colors and the life.

description
I miss those minutes right around twilight, when it isn’t quite daytime, but it isn’t nighttime, either. It feels magical somehow, like you could do something phenomenal without even trying. I miss the scarlet in sunrises. And clouds. Stars. God, I miss stars.

description

So, okay, that was... breathtaking.

Literally took. my. breath. away.
Kim at Divergent Gryffindor
When I read the synopsis for The One Thing, I was immediately captivated. I read a book about a main character who is blind before in Wattpad and I loved it, so of course I was anticipating this one. I was expecting this to be a bit depressing given the situation, but no. The main character is so snarky and her friend Ben is a ten-year-old smart ass. Gosh, I have so much love for this book, and I read this just at the right moment.

The journey that the main character took was fantastic. She
Karen Rock
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
High school loner, Maggie Sanders, gets the shock of her life when, after years without sight, an encounter with a younger boy, Ben Milton, allows her to see again. Only… she can only see him and the small area illuminated around him. Not sure if she’s hallucinating or experiencing the greatest miracle possible, she befriends the fascinating boy whose spina bifida doesn’t stop him from appreciating and learning about life- right down to reading through every encyclopedia and joining a swim team. ...more
Catherine Doyle
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves
"After all, circumstances don't change us. They reveal us."

Well. This is definitely one of the best books I've ever read.

Ever since 17-year-old soccer star Maggie lost her sight 6 months ago, she's been a passive participant in a life she never imagined for herself. She's angry at the world and she's all but given up. When she meets Ben, an intelligent and hilarious 10-year-old, everything starts to change. He, quite literally, lights up her life, and together they embark on a friendship that is
Nancy
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If I made a movie out of this book (because that's totally in my skill set as a suburban mother and public educator), I'd do a montage of Maggie's easy, happy-go-lucky life, lots of soccer, trophies, friends, high school, all to the background music of "Loose Cannons." Quick intro of devoted parents, Gramps talking about his prostate, then a slower montage of the day she woke up sick, the exchange between her and her mom, maybe have Gramps find her passed out in the kitchen, tense hospital ...more
Lola Sharp
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness, you guys, YOU WANT TO READ THIS BOOK! I am blessed to have read this treasure, absolute gem of a book, because IT IS SPECIAL.
This book is what they talk about when they say 'voice'. There is voice in spades here. Marci Lyn Curtis has given us layered , real characters with a voice that leaps off the page from the very first paragraph. At times snort-out-loud hilarious, this story also had me in tears, both sad and happy, heartwarming tears. I promise, I never gush about a book,
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
OMG this book is one incredible book. I have no idea how to explain this book to you that is how good it is.

Can you imagine you have it all, school, great friends, and great family? Well Maggie Sanders has it all until she loses her sight and with that she loses her friends and her dreams of being a professional soccer player. Being in the dark for Maggie will not tear her down and will not discourage her from living her life.

So she decides to do a prank and when she is caught she gets in a lot
Laurie Flynn
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read this book before its release date and was totally blown away. The concept is so original and unique, and Maggie's voice is very powerful and distinct. I loved her wit and sarcasm, and how she coped with her vastly different life after losing her sight. This book has it all... laughter and tears, romance and friendship, and a hint of magic.

I don't want to say too much and give anything away, but this is one book that I'll remember for a long time. Marci Lyn Curtis is
Kristine Asselin
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had a chance to read a pre copy edited version of this book. OMG, it's amazing! Layers of emotion, great voice. Maggie Sanders and Ben and Mason Milton will be some of your favorite characters in YA in 2015.
Amy
You can read this review and more @Book Enthral

First Thoughts 24/10

Emotional destroying but absolutely brilliant!! Read in one sitting I just couldn't put it down. I loved Maggie and Ben is the cutest 10 year old ever! The romance was swoon worthy! And yes the she's blind except she can see one person thing is a tad ridiculous but it makes sense eventually! I really, really loved this book!
Review to come :)

Review 27/10

Firstly, I need to ask, WHY THE HELL MORE PEOPLE AREN’T TALKING
Frannie Pan
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Blind. Character.
I repeat: Blind. Character.
These are the magic words that propelled me to read this book the exact day it was released. All my life I have wanted to find a book that featured the visually impaired, I've always wondered what their life is like, how they can read or wander around without bumping into everything on their path and how strong they are to survive without their sight. Therefore, the moment I found out The one thing I felt like I had discovered the grandest treasure.
And
Joy (joyous reads)
Aug 14, 2015 rated it liked it
It’s tough to review a book that I sort of like and sort of didn’t like. When I can’t reconcile how I really feel for it that I’m left precariously straddling that line. The One Thing could’ve been so good. But I felt that its two major flaws are simply insurmountable that I can’t give it a rating higher than 3 stars.

The summary succinctly gives you the bulk of the plot. Maggie was once a rising soccer star before she went blind. She had meningitis. Ever since then, she’d pretty much shut out
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
This review was originally posted on It Starts at Midnight
This book was cute. Super cute, really. Not that it didn’t have hard moments, because it absolutely did, but the cute moments are what stuck with me when I was done reading. The life lessons, the relationships, the friendships, the witty characters, those are what endeared me to this book. The plot was fine, but the characters were remarkable!

First up is Maggie. Goodness, I adored Maggie. She was blind, but only recently found herself as
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Not After Everything
  • Between the Notes
  • Tú y yo después del invierno
  • The Lies About Truth
  • Cashflow Quadrant
  • Getting the Right Things Done: A Leader's Guide to Planning and Execution
  • GURU KULTU..ry
  • Haker umysłów
  • You Win in the Locker Room First: The 7 C's to Build a Winning Team in Business, Sports, and Life
  • Psychologia Zmiany - najskuteczniejsze narzędzia pracy z ludzkimi emocjami, zachowaniami i myśleniem
  • Secrets of Selkie Bay
  • Με οικογένεια
  • Der Himmel wird beben (Ophelia Scale, #2)
  • Brzydki, zły i szczery
  • Taiichi Ohno's Workplace Management
  • Die Welt wird brennen (Ophelia Scale, #1)
  • The Lean Turnaround: How Business Leaders Use Lean Principles to Create Value and Transform Their Company
  • Shuffle, Repeat
Marci Lyn Curtis is the author of young adult dramedies THE ONE THING and THE LEADING EDGE OF NOW. She lives near Tampa, Florida with her husband. You can find out more about Marci on her website (marcilyncurtis.com), on Twitter (@Marci_Curtis), on Instagram (@marcilyncurtis), or on Facebook (marcilyncurtis).
“That's the one thing about being blind: you see people as they really are.” 10 likes
“The best way to tackle the things that terrify you is to not overthink them - to just do them quickly.” 5 likes