Start by marking “The One Thing” as Want to Read:
The One Thing

The One Thing

Maggie Sanders might be blind, but she won't invite anyone to her pity party. Ever since losing her sight six months ago, Maggie's rebellious streak has taken on a life of its own, culminating with an elaborate school prank. Maggie called it genius. The judge called it illegal.

Now Maggie has a probation officer. But she isn't interested in rehabilitation, not when she's st
Published September 8th 2015 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about The One Thing, please sign up.
Marci Curtis Oh wow! Thanks so much for your kind words about my story! They really mean a lot to me! :)
Marci Curtis Awh...you're so welcome! Thanks for reading! <3

Lola
I didn’t think this book would be so emotional.

It sure didn’t start like that. Maggie is full of snark, so she isn’t the type to wallow in her misery. She’s blind and it sucks, but what can she do about it?

Looks like she didn’t need to find answer to her question, because the answer found HER.

And he goes by the name of Ben.

Before you start rolling your eyes, know this: Ben is ten years old. He is NOT the love-interest. He is a friend. And the only person whom Maggie can see.

AND, he stole my he
Hazel (Stay Bookish)
Visit Stay Bookish for more book reviews and to win a hardback copy of The One Thing!

When a book has you staying up late and crying at 2 in the morning, you know it’s undeniably good. The One Thing, however, is not only undeniably good but brilliant. Upon finishing in one sitting, The One Thing turned instantly into one of the best YA contemporary books I’ve read this year.

I was lucky to receive an early draft from the author and while I was more than excited to read, I didn’t particularly know
Marci Curtis
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I thought this book was pretty darn good, all 199,376 times that I read it.

But then, I might be a smidge biased.
Kels
That's the one thing about being blind: you see people as they really are.

Six months ago, Maggie became sick with meningitis that caused her sudden blindness, but when that happened she lost more than her eye sight. She lost her dreams of going big with soccer and getting college scholarships, she lost her friends and even her relationships with her parents, which became distant and awkward. Yet things change when an ungraceful fall lands her with a bruised head, and something she never though
Angigames
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esordio davvero meraviglioso questo della Curtis! Si tratta di una storia, un libro, un mondo speciale.
L’autrice mette il cuore nelle pagine e si vede, in più, può contare su una scrittura fluida semplice e diretta, eppure magica. Un esordio che mi ha scaldato l’anima, riempito il cuore e che, ovviamente, mi ha fatto versare non poche lacrime. Lo ammetto, anche se con me non vale, Curtis, perché sono di lacrima facile!
Una storia che può risultare già sentita, ma che invece, è tutto tranne come u
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, z2015, netgalley, ya
* I received an arc in exchange for an honest review.

This book was really really good! It definitely surpassed all of my expectations. It was funny, sad, real, heart-wrenching, well-written, relatable, smart and fun to read. I think this book is going to be really popular because it's so good! As for Marci Lyn Curtis, I hope she writes more amazing novels like this one. This was an incredible debut novel! It kind of reminded me of something Sarah Dessen would write (one of the brilliant ones) s
Mary
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to NetGalley and Disney-Hyperion for providing this ARC.

Oh. My. Gosh. I have no words to express just how much I loved this book. It’s one of the best books that I have read this year and let me tell you, I’ve read a lot of amazing books in 2015. But this one flew right there near the top. It’s absolutely fantastic, cute, beautiful, so intense at times, heartbreaking at others (yes, I cried, shut up). I just want to shove this in everyone’s hands and make them read it, because it is fa
Silvy Herondale
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sto piangendo da tutto il giorno, ma questo romanzo rimane un gioiellino meraviglioso *-*
Recensione: http://wefoundwonderlandinbooks.blogs...
Laurence R.
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED IT SO MUCH! Seriously, read this book.

I was intrigued by the description of this novel, especially since I wasn't sure what it would be about. I didn't know what to expect, but it made me want to read it even more. I'm so glad I did!

I absolutely loved Ben and Maggie's friendship. Ben is the most adorable kid ever and I just want him for myself (which sounds weird, but it's okay. You'll understand if you read this book). I loved how he reacted to Maggie's news about her seeing him even t
Banny Carstairs
RESEÑA EN ESPAÑOL
Actual Rate 3.5

Maggie lost her sight and for the first time in six months, she is able to see something again. Well, someone. Ben, a ten-year-old with a huge heart.
Discovering why is it she can see him and only him, our MC discovers how to see possibilities for her new life.

I am surprised by how much I enjoyed The One Thing, it has a nice balance of humor and emotionality, character development and is just great for a light read.
Danielle (Love at First Page)
3-3.5 stars

As a contemporary romance fan, I expected to love The One Thing. But poor book, it had the unfortunate luck to be read right after Illuminae. When you follow a mind-blowing book with a good book, well, it's hard not to compare, and this one doesn't hold up... to Illuminae or to other contemporaries I've loved this year. I just felt like something was missing, something that would make it memorable for me in the future.

That's not to say that The One Thing doesn't have a lot going for
Yvonne (bookishpanda)
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE! ♥

First of all: I received an early copy of this book from Netgalley and I'm over the moon excited that I got to read this gorgeous book! It's Marci's debut and I already know I'll read her next books as well!

Halfway through the book I already knew this would become one of my favorite books ever and well, it's true. It's funny, sarcastic, serious and heartwarming ... it's emotional, unbelievably sad but at the same time cute also makes you so, so happy. Seriously, I love this book with all my hea
Addi • Pages Within Me
Well, I sat down intending to read the first few chapters of this book to get a feel for it. That was at 9 pm. It is now 2 in the morning, and I have just finished this emotional roller coaster that sucked me in and mercilessly spit me out a complete mess. I literally did not move once I started this book- hence my VERY full bladder at the moment. (sorry for the tmi)

Maggie Sanders is a girl that has recently lost her sight, and with it, her spunk in life. She is drifting by day by day, doing thi
Chelsea
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You guys, this book was SO GOOD. If you’ve been following my reviews for a while you know I don’t hand out five star ratings for nothing, and this book wholeheartedly deserves it.

I will be the first to say this isn’t a perfect book. It has a number of little flaws that I was well aware of whilst reading it, which made me think to myself, ‘then is this really a five star book?’

And the answer is yes, it definitely is. It got me to thinking about the other four star books I’ve read this year, but e
Bella (Bella's Wonderworld)
Rezension | Alles, was ich sehe von Marci Lyn Curtis Beschreibung

Seitdem Maggie erblindete, ist nichts in ihrem Leben mehr wie es einmal war. Ihr Traum ein großer Fußball-Star zu werden ist schlagartig geplatzt und das Einleben an der neuen Schule für Blinde fällt Maggie nicht gerade leicht. Nach einem unglücklichen Sturz passiert das unvorstellbare: Maggie kann wieder etwas sehen.

Die Sehkraft ist nicht vollständig zurückgekehrt, doch einen kleinen Ausschnitt um den zehnjährigen Jungen Ben kan
Andrea
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, contemporary

Six months ago Maggie lost her sight, naturally her life was turned upside down, she lost her friends and her soccer dreams. Then meets a ten year old named Ben, and she's really surprised about the fact she can see him, and everything around him.

I expected this to be better, especially with that unique premise. As a huge fan of YA contemporary I expected to love this but I just didn't have the same reaction everyone else seemed to have. This book wasn't bad it was just a little too pre
Beatrice in Bookland
4.5
Meraviglioso libro su un tema praticamente introvabile tra i YA, la cecità.
Ogni personaggio è ben caratterizzato, ma il migliore è senza dubbio la protagonista Maggie, la ragazza distrutta che per accettare la sua situazione allontana tutti e che grazie ad un bambino stupendo riacquista momentaneamente la vista.
Sinceramente mi è piaciuto molto di più di Colpa delle stelle (anche se i temi non sono esattamente gli stessi, la trama di fondo è simile), si concentra più sull'amicizia e sulle gio
Svenja
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Endlich mal wieder ein Buch, dass ich nicht aus der Hand legen konnte.

Schuld daran ist vor allem der zuckersüße 10-jährige Ben, mit seiner bezaubernden Art. Aber auch die Hauptfigur Maggie hat mich mit ihren humorvollen und sarkastischen Sprüchen überzeugt. Zudem mag ich es sehr, wenn Personen eine positive Entwicklung im Laufe der Geschichte machen. Aber auch bei anderen Charakteren hat Marci Lyn Curtis ein besonderes Talent. Ich mochte sie einfach alle.

Die Story hat es außerdem geschafft, mich
Lindsay Currie
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I had the distinct pleasure of being able to read this book recently, and IT. IS. AMAZING. Fantastic plot? Check. Original and compelling characters? Check. Unique voice? You bet. THE ONE THING drew me in from the first sentence and never let me go. You're going to want to keep your eyes open for this one, and the author Marci Curtis. She's going to light the shelves on fire when this comes out.

* While Marci is a friend of mine, this review is an objective one of her work.
allys_books
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Dieses Ende war eine absolute Achterbahnfahrt der Gefühle! Umwerfend, toll, emotional 😍😩
Kaya Dimitrova
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Признавам, че не започнах романа с голям ентусиазъм, но той се оказа повече, отколкото съм очаквала. „Моето нещо“ проследява историята на сляпата Маги, която проглежда отново, но само в компанията на едно десетгодишно хлапе. Сърцераздирателна, разказваща за загубените мечти, но и за създаването на нови, за вътрешната борба и силата на приятелството... Това беше една емоционална книга, която ме вдъхнови, разсмя и просълзи.
Jayvee  "Writer For Misfits"
Find out how you can win a signed copy of The One Thing by Marci Lyn Curtis on Writer For Misfits. There'll be 2 giveaways open to US residents and an INTL giveaway.

We take a lot of things for granted, that's for sure. And if we lose a thing that means a lot to us, then we'd feel like nothing else matters anymore, that we're incomplete and we cannot function anymore. The One Thing serves as an eye-opener, that even in times of pain and obstacles, there is hope and you are not alone.

Maggie, a 17
Nicola
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it

The One Thing tells us the story of teenager Maggie who has been blind for six months due to a complication with meningitis. She is struggling to come to terms with her blindness and to adapt to her new way of living. Maggie soon meets ten year old Ben who has spina bifida but is so full of life that she is quickly drawn to his infectious personality. But there is also the small matter of her being able to see him and a small area surrounding him. She doesn't know if she's somehow getti
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookworms
The One Thing is one of the sweetest and most strangely heartbreaking stories I have ever read!

This and all my other reviews are originally posted on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews
Christine Alibutud
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I wondered what that sort of ignorance would feel like, wondered what it would be like to not yearn to see the things I loved—the sky and the colors and the life.

description
I miss those minutes right around twilight, when it isn’t quite daytime, but it isn’t nighttime, either. It feels magical somehow, like you could do something phenomenal without even trying. I miss the scarlet in sunrises. And clouds. Stars. God, I miss stars.

description

So, okay, that was... breathtaking.

Literally took. my. breath. away.
Julia
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
Maggie hasst ihr neues Leben als Blinde. Sie will keine tapfere Kranke sein, und auf Unterricht von anderen Blinden kann sie gut verzichten. Nach einem missglückten Streich passiert es: Sie kann wieder sehen! Nur einen Ausschnitt der Welt, genauer: einen zehnjährigen Jungen namens Ben. Mit Hilfe des altklugen und hinreißenden Jungen scheint sie einen Teil ihres alten Lebens zurückzubekommen. Und Bens großer Bruder Mason ist Sänger in Maggies Lieblingsband. Und ziemlich attraktiv. Doch er lässt s ...more
Kim at Divergent Gryffindor
When I read the synopsis for The One Thing, I was immediately captivated. I read a book about a main character who is blind before in Wattpad and I loved it, so of course I was anticipating this one. I was expecting this to be a bit depressing given the situation, but no. The main character is so snarky and her friend Ben is a ten-year-old smart ass. Gosh, I have so much love for this book, and I read this just at the right moment.

The journey that the main character took was fantastic. She didn'
Karen Rock
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
High school loner, Maggie Sanders, gets the shock of her life when, after years without sight, an encounter with a younger boy, Ben Milton, allows her to see again. Only… she can only see him and the small area illuminated around him. Not sure if she’s hallucinating or experiencing the greatest miracle possible, she befriends the fascinating boy whose spina bifida doesn’t stop him from appreciating and learning about life- right down to reading through every encyclopedia and joining a swim team. ...more
Catherine Doyle
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves
"After all, circumstances don't change us. They reveal us."

Well. This is definitely one of the best books I've ever read.

Ever since 17-year-old soccer star Maggie lost her sight 6 months ago, she's been a passive participant in a life she never imagined for herself. She's angry at the world and she's all but given up. When she meets Ben, an intelligent and hilarious 10-year-old, everything starts to change. He, quite literally, lights up her life, and together they embark on a friendship that is
Nancy
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If I made a movie out of this book (because that's totally in my skill set as a suburban mother and public educator), I'd do a montage of Maggie's easy, happy-go-lucky life, lots of soccer, trophies, friends, high school, all to the background music of "Loose Cannons." Quick intro of devoted parents, Gramps talking about his prostate, then a slower montage of the day she woke up sick, the exchange between her and her mom, maybe have Gramps find her passed out in the kitchen, tense hospital scene ...more
  • Alive
  • Song of Summer
  • Drowning Is Inevitable
  • Not After Everything
  • Trouble from the Start
  • From Scratch (Blue Plate, #1)
  • The Love Story (The Things We Can't Change, #4)
  • Hannah Both Ways
  • Exposed (Captive, #2)
  • Making Pretty
  • Tunnel Vision (Tunnel Vision, #1)
  • Just Visiting
  • The Trouble with Destiny
  • Between the Notes
  • Lessons in Falling
  • For the Record
  • Rules for 50/50 Chances
  • Cashmere (Velvet, #2)
Marci Lyn Curtis is the author of young adult dramedies THE ONE THING and THE LEADING EDGE OF NOW. She lives near Tampa, Florida with her husband. You can find out more about Marci on her website (marcilyncurtis.com), on Twitter (@Marci_Curtis), on Instagram (@marcilyncurtis), or on Facebook (marcilyncurtis).
“That's the one thing about being blind: you see people as they really are.” 11 likes
“The best way to tackle the things that terrify you is to not overthink them - to just do them quickly.” 5 likes