Start by marking “The Devil Inside the Beltway” as Want to Read:
The Devil Inside the Beltway

The Devil Inside the Beltway

Michael J. Daugherty, author and CEO of LabMD in Atlanta, Georgia, uncovers and details an extraordinary government surveillance story that compromised national security and invaded the privacy of tens of millions of online users worldwide. Unbelievable from beginning to end, you'll be shocked at what is really going on behind every closed door in Washington. A riveting tr ...more
Published September 17th 2013 by Broadland Press

To ask other readers questions about The Devil Inside the Beltway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil Inside the Beltway

Lynda Dickson
Sep 29, 2013 Lynda Dickson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: nonfiction
In "The Devil Inside the Beltway", Michael J. Daugherty tells his remarkable story of the powers of the government over the "little people". This is an example of government bureaucracy at its finest. After being unfairly treated by the Federal Trade Commission, Michael undertakes a David and Goliath fight for the future of his company, LabMD; all the while with lawyers out to bill him for all they can get.

This is a well-written, compelling, true life account that reads like a thriller. The dial
Donna Wetzel
Sep 13, 2013 Donna Wetzel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone interested in our govt.
Recommended to Donna by: goodreads
Shelves: first-reads
Excellent book. Thanks Goodreads. Expected it to be a slow read, instead I couldn't put it down. For anyone that wants to learn how intrusive the government can be, this is the book for you. Also gives an interesting take on large law firms. Highly recommend.
Patricia Wright
Oct 03, 2013 Patricia Wright rated it it was amazing
The book was an eye opener. To me it's a must read for every American. Very detailed and told where anyone can understand it. Reminds me of the book 1984.
Violet
Aug 27, 2013 Violet rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Absolutely terrifying what the government will do. Well written and draws you in. A must read!!!
Angie
Lets not kid ourselves and pretend like Mike Daugherty was Mr. Pro-Government before any of the FTC shenanigans plagued his business. Riddled with anti-government quotes and worshiping at the throne of Ronald Reagan, Daugherty tries to paint his battle with a David v. Goliath brush that overdoes it just a tad. (I wrote that note while on page 86. On page 103, he actually uses the D v. G comparison for the first of many many times). I'm not arguing that he was treated fairly or that he shouldn't ...more
Jane
The Devil Inside the Beltway is a MUST read for everyone that thinks they have heard about the abuse of the privacy of private citizens by the Federal government (this time with FTC at the lead). One basic question kept going through my mind as I read the account of years of 'investigation' and legal game, "How can the victim of thief be the party that did wrong?" Michael Daugherty's company had files STOLEN, without giving permission to the thief. They are the victim!!!

The Devil Inside the Belt
Randy Quarles
Dec 03, 2013 Randy Quarles rated it really liked it
The Devil Inside the Beltway is a depressingly true story of federal government bullies and a small-business owner who stands up to them. It’s an intriguing and worthwhile read. Other small-business owners should find it particularly disturbing.

The book is about gross overreaching by the Federal Trade Commission. The FTC imposes huge costs on author Michael Daugherty’s cancer-detection laboratory as the result of an incident involving the inadvertent (and unknowing) release of a computer file co
Cheryl D
Dec 07, 2013 Cheryl D rated it really liked it
*** Disclosure-I won this book in a Goodreads contest***

For some reason I just didn't want to read this book. I had recently been reading "heavy" books and figured this would just be more of the same. I was wrong. The book is very well written, keeps moving forward at a good clip and because you can identify with "the little guy" going up against "the big, bad bully" theme; the reader easily becomes engrossed in the story. And this is a story that MUST be told and I salute the author for exposin
Eric
Oct 13, 2013 Eric rated it liked it
I received this as a Goodread's first reads program. This book was interesting and gave me consideration behind the powers of our regulatory commissions. I don't consider myself a conspiracy theorist in any fashion, and found myself questioning whether this book was really fact or fiction several times. As a non- fiction book, this work should give any reader pause regarding where our political system's checks and balances have evolved into, how big businesses and corporations lobby through thei ...more
Cameron
Oct 29, 2013 Cameron rated it it was ok
**I received this book as a part of Goodreads giveaways**

The one thing that can be said about this book is that Daugherty clearly wants to provide readers with details of his story and fight against the FTC. every detail. From reprinting emails, to providing lengthy descriptions of how his business, LabMD, processes tissue samples (details that are totally irrelevant), to every time he curses while confused, I quickly lost patience with this book. Yes, it is a quick read, which is merciful as it
Doc Sheldon
Nov 05, 2013 Doc Sheldon rated it it was amazing
The decision to write this exposé as a novel was wise - I found it impossible to put down. Daugherty tells his story well, drawing you in, until you share his frustration, bewilderment and fury.
Simply describing the ongoing events described in the book as "Shocking" doesn't do it justice. The way that some parts of our government conduct themselves is disturbing, chilling and frightening... did I forget to mention infuriating?
For anyone that would have a better understanding of the ways in which
Kathy Martin
Sep 03, 2013 Kathy Martin rated it it was amazing
Amazing book documenting the power the government wields. Mr. Daugherty has shown his mettle in sharing his experiences. This book should be read by everyone who still believes in truth, justice, and the American way. Hopefully there will be a second book documenting the rest of this company's battle.
Jason Garrison
Nov 04, 2013 Jason Garrison rated it it was amazing
A highly addictive read from start to finish. Thoroughly enjoyed both Michaels' fervent unrelentesssnes against Big Goverment and his equally entertaining literary prowess. A must read!!
Marie Herman
Feb 13, 2014 Marie Herman rated it really liked it
The Devil Inside the Beltway:
The Shocking Expose of the Us Government's Surveillance and Overreach Into Cyber security, Medicine and Small Business
Review:

Four Stars
Okay,
this book was an emotional roller coaster, and finding the words to review it, even more so. It should be noted, that this review is more than fifty percent my personal preference due to the circumstances of this story more than most, it being an account of real events and all.

His bias, it was evident. As the supposedly 'little g
Gabriella Gricius
Jan 09, 2014 Gabriella Gricius rated it really liked it
Why Read: One of the first NetGalley books I actually downloaded, it took me longer than it should have to begin reading it. I am already an avid reader of political stories and scandals… and to read something that really implicated the government has always been something on my list. So, at least I can check that one off!

Review: It’s hard to describe The Devil Inside the Beltway. Some would call it the ranting and raving of a man possessed with vehement hatred against the FTC; then again, ther
Sam Elliott
Dec 02, 2016 Sam Elliott rated it did not like it
One sided account from someone who doesn't appear to be able to take responsibility. The company leaked PII due to inadequate info sec practices and didn't notify their clients. This book is nearly 500 pages of complaining that LabMD shouldn't be held accountable and is in fact a victim. Claiming ignorance or naiveté doesn't mean it didn't happen. Strange.
Jo
Mar 10, 2014 Jo rated it it was amazing
The Devil Inside the Beltway is the true story of what our government did to a small business owner of a medical testing lab when one department hacked into his company and then the FTC found his security lacking. It is sad to see the power in government being used in this manner. All informed Americans should read The Devil Inside the Beltway to find out what is really happening today in our government. It is a real eye opener and I wish Michael J. Daugherty the best of luck in his fight for hi ...more
Carole Anderson
Oct 23, 2013 Carole Anderson rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This was a fascinating book! I learned more about the Federal Trade Commission than I ever thought possible. It was also just interesting to follow the shenanigans of our government. Amazing. Well written considering the author was not a writer. It was a little heavy in lawyer speak, but that was probably necessary. I'm passing it on.
Linda Klages
Apr 14, 2014 Linda Klages rated it liked it
This was a goodreads win for me. The book was VERY detailed on what had happened to him and his company dealing with government red tape. It's not an easy read but you don't want to stop in the middle of it either.
Book Him Danno
Oct 26, 2016 Book Him Danno rated it it was amazing
Amazing and yet disturbing book on how DC works and functions and how the outside world as no idea what is really going on.
Advance Copy from netgalley
Doug McKee
Doug McKee rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2015
Caroline Anastasia Mccaskill
Caroline Anastasia Mccaskill rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2013
Anita
Anita rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Janice Andersen
Janice Andersen rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2016
Gregory Pratt
Gregory Pratt rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2015
James Kulikowski
James Kulikowski rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2017
Roy Huff
Roy Huff rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2015
Ronald L Bodine
Ronald L Bodine rated it it was ok
Oct 27, 2016
Michael Crenshaw
Michael Crenshaw rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2015
Melanie
Melanie rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2013
  • November 22, 1963: Ordinary and Extraordinary People Recall Their Reactions When They Heard the News…
  • Mind of an Outlaw: Selected Essays
  • The Weldon File
  • Two Deserts
  • The Ariadne Objective: The Underground War to Rescue Crete from the Nazis
  • Kennedy and Reagan: Why Their Legacies Endure
  • Where Were You? America Remembers the JFK Assassination
  • The Kennedy Endeavor (The Presidential Series, #2)
  • Winds of Dalmatia: A Historical Novel
  • Washington's Providence (A Timeless Arts Novel, #1)
  • History's Worst Dictators: A Short Guide to the Most Brutal Rulers, From Emperor Nero to Ivan the Terrible
  • The Global War on Christians: Dispatches from the Front Lines of Anti-Christian Persecution
  • Opportunity, Montana: Big Copper, Bad Water, and the Burial of an American Landscape
  • The Spanish Queen: A Novel of Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon
  • America's Great Game: The CIA's Secret Arabists and the Shaping of the Modern Middle East
  • Face of the Earth
  • The Price of Thirst: Global Water Inequality and the Coming Chaos
  • Tampa Star (Blackfox Chronicles, #1)
Michael J. Daugherty is President & CEO of LabMD, a cancer detection facility based in Atlanta, GA. Michael has recently released his first book, The Devil Inside the Beltway. A non-fiction thriller with themes of cyber security, government overreach, and American small business.

Outside of LabMD, enjoys playing tennis, travel, and flying his Cirrus SR22 Turbo single engine aircraft. He is a me
More about Michael J. Daugherty...