Start by marking “Lost Daughters (Micky Knight, #4)” as Want to Read:
Lost Daughters (Micky Knight, #4)

Lost Daughters (Micky Knight #4)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  434 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Micky takes on the case of a widowed mother looking for her daughter and a tough gay boy hunting for his biological mother. Together, they stir in Micky a desire to search for her own mother who abandoned her when she was just a young girl.
Published May 1st 2005 by Bywater Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Lost Daughters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost Daughters

Lex Kent
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-f-crime, f-f, mystery, drama
Not as fantastic as the previous three books, but still a really good read. This book has a lot to do about Mickey's family life. So many twists and turns that I felt like I was reading a soap opera, but it kept things interesting.
The mystery was more in the background, but still had an exciting climax that Redmann is great at writing. Looking forward to book 5.
Kennedy
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Intense and engaging.
Justina
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
This fourth book in the Micky Knight series is extraordinarily balanced with multiple story lines that delightfully intersect and support the shared searches for lost daughters. There are also a disturbing number of murders that hit home and at the heart for Micky and her close friends. Micky is not only a key element in the searches, but uncovers the curious link that really ties all the murders together. Such a magnificent story that weaves back and forth between the harsh realities and delica ...more
Elaine Burnes
Dec 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lesbian, mystery
She's done it again. Whew. This one was great. I love that in each book Micky also solves some important mystery in her own life. I was bawling at the end. And though I figured out what would happen, the details took me by surprise, yet they fit perfectly. Terrific.

I see Bywater has a version of this. I read the Bold Strokes Books edition and was very disappointed in the binding. It was stiff and hard to hold.
M.E. Logan
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Micky Knight just gets better and better and no one can write her better than Redmann. Plot drive, character-driven, murder mystery. For a PI who doesn't want to do the murder and mayhem, Micky Knight gets pulled into murder investigations frequently, and frequently becomes the target. A great addition to a wonderful series.
Katy
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of lesbian noir/detective stories
Book Info: Genre: Detective/Lesbian Noir Reading Level: Adult

Disclosure: I received a free copy of book 7 in this series in exchange for an honest review. I purchased the rest of the books in the series myself, so am under no particular obligation, but am happy to provide an honest review.

Synopsis: Micky takes on the cases of a widowed mother looking for her daughter and a tough gay boy hunting for his biological mother. Together they stir in Micky a desire to search for her own mother, who aba
tres
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
The book starts off almost three years after the events of its predecessor. Cordelia and Micky are still together happy and rolling, something Micky never thought would be possible, which is pretty easy to understand as her previous relationships rarely lasted more than a week and even rarer more than a day.

Story is pretty much focused on Micky, her personal life and again her past. Side characters like Joanna and Danny doesn't get much space and only appears on a few occasions, which made me a
Alena
Jul 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember really liking this when I first read this.

And I did again, but I must say it somehow lacked in intensity compared with the previous two books. I'm not quite sure why, as both the crime plot and Micky's journey to somehow complete the puzzle that is her past are intense and emotional. Maybe it has to do with the binge-ing.

Style-wise and character-wise it is the least edgy and raw book in the series. I think the author has grown into her style and Micky has grown into her life in a way
Gill
Jul 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009, month-07
I enjoyed this far more than its forerunner, The Intersection of Law and Desire. Lost Daughters is set some time later, when Micky & Cordelia are celebrating their 3rd anniversary. Prompted by this and a couple of her cases, Micky delves deeper into her own past in a bid to understand why her mother left her to the tender mercies of Aunt Greta and family.
Sandy
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this, the 4th in the Micky Knight series. My least favorite part of it was the serial killer theme. I know it's a detective series but this would have been fine with just the "lost child" part of the story (2 cases and Micky's own story). Sometimes, being a PI is boring and the serial killer story felt tacked on to make it more interesting in an unnecessary way. But that's more a nitpick than anything.
Kathryn Bundy
Mar 18, 2013 rated it liked it
This is fourth in Redmann's Micky Knight mystery series. Published in 1999, it is a little dated, but only by technology. The story is intact. Micky is finally ready, at 33, to address the hole left in her life when her mother abandoned her at the age of 5. Concurrently, she is solving two cases of "mother-child reunion", so they all dovetail.

The book was intriguing enough to keep me reading late into the night to finish it.
Hazey
J. M. Redman rarely disappoints!

Lost Daughters #4 is a stand alone book, but you might wish to start with "Death by the Riverside" and read the Micky Knight series in order.

Good news for fans of the Micky Knight series is this books answers a lot of questions interestingly well. Looking forward to reading the next book already. Not sure how many complete this series?
Freyja Vanadis
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much better than the second book in the series, although the ending is just a little too neat for my tastes. Everyone who was adopted and looking for their birth mothers, including Micky Knight herself, finds them and it's all hunky dory. And the murderer accidentally kills his own self. Hmm.
Nicole
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt, mystery
I thoroughly enjoyed learning Micky's past. Read this in less than 24 hours!
SuperCat
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was ok
she's not Agatha Christie, but it was an easy, fun read.
Connie
Feb 07, 2008 rated it liked it
This is a really fun lesbian detective series.
Ulla
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Micky Knight mysteries get better on every reading! Looking forward to reading "The Death of a Dying Man" and the one after that!
Juanita Mears
Mar 13, 2013
Saloc
Apr 12, 2014
Mostly Lesfic: Lost Daughters 3 18 Oct 01, 2011 07:29AM
  • Stoner McTavish (Stoner McTavish Mysteries, #1)
  • Amateur City (Kate Delafield, #1)
  • Rainey Nights  (Rainey Bell, #2)
  • Returning Tides (Provincetown Tales, #6)
  • Always (Aud Torvingen #3)
  • Vital Lies (Jane Lawless, #2)
  • Lethal Affairs (Elite Operatives, #1)
  • Conflict of Interest (Portland Police Bureau, #1)
  • Deal with the Devil (Cain Casey, #3)
  • Infinite Loop
Also writes under the pseudonym R. Jean Reid.

Jean Marie Redmann is an American novelist best known for her mystery series featuring New Orleans private investigator Micky Knight.

Main themes of Redmann's novels are the protagonist's troubled childhood and how it affects her adult life, discrimination based on sexual orientation and alcoholism. Her novels follow the tradition of hardboiled fiction.
More about J.M. Redmann...

Micky Knight (9 books)
  • Death by the Riverside (Micky Knight, #1)
  • Deaths of Jocasta (Micky Knight, #2)
  • The Intersection of Law and Desire (Micky Knight, #3)
  • Death of a Dying Man (Micky Knight, #5)
  • Water Mark (Micky Knight, #6)
  • Ill Will (Micky Knight, #7)
  • The Shoal of Time (Micky Knight, #8)
  • The Girl on the Edge of Summer (Micky Knight, #9)