Start by marking “Tangled Webs (Tangled Webs, #1)” as Want to Read:
Tangled Webs (Tangled Webs, #1)

Tangled Webs

(Tangled Webs #1)

London, 1725. Everybody has a secret. Lady A will keep yours—for a price. This sumptuous, scandalous YA novel is wickedly addictive.

Lady A is the most notorious blackmailer in the city. With just a mask and a gown to disguise her, she sweeps into lavish balls and exclusive events collecting the most valuable currency in 1725 London—secrets.

But leading a double life isn't e
Published June 23rd 2015 by Disney Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Tangled Webs, please sign up.
Duskangelreads It says CANCELLED on the next books title, so it doesn't look like there will be a second

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
What was she doing?

She had one job tonight. She had not come to the masquerade to lose herself in wistful dreams. Or in the eyes of the most intriguing young man she’d ever met. She should not wonder which exotic lands he had seen, nor wish to hear more about them. No, she should be meeting Lord Huntington and finishing up Bones’s business. Yet there she stood.
This book is fantastic if you're into insta-love, love triangles, and an allegedly cunning spy whose mind is constantly preoccupied wit
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Disney Book Group and NetGalley.)

“What if she could turn Arista into a proper lady who could attend the parties where jewels and money were ripe for the picking? Bones’s greed had become their savior.”

There wasn’t anything awful about this book, I just didn’t really enjoy it.

Arista was a girl who did her job well, and looked out for those she cared about. She wasn’t treated well, but at least she wasn
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Beautiful exteriors often hide the nastiest things, in life and literature alike. We learn that lesson very early in life, and we readers quickly learn to be wary of gorgeous covers. But the wariness can make us miss out, and Tangled Webs has a lot more to offer than just the pretty swirls and colors on its dust jacket.

Not many YA books take place in the 18th century, so when I first read ‘London 1725’ in the summary, I was immediately drawn to it. It must be said that Tangled Webs doesn’t offe
Alyssa

Book One of the Tangled Webs series
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Publication Date: June 23, 2015
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Rashika (is tired)
Actual Rating 2.5

***This review has also been posted on The Social Potato

I haz mixed feelings about this book and that makes me very sad. I really wanted to love it and love it I did not.

Before getting into the nitty gritty, I just wanted to give a shout out to whoever was in charge of all the artwork on the pages and whoever was in charge of the cover because holy guacamole, can I get a GORGEOUSSSSS?

On to more serious stuff though. Lady A was not exactly what I expected. She is not nearly as ba
Lili  Marcus
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: family, young-adult
First, I must say that whoever wants to read this should not rely on the synopsis too much!!!

*I picked this one because of the cover . it's like a scrapbook and I love scrap booking*
spoiler alerts but minimised
The story sets in London, 1725, and I find it intriguing when I read the synopsis because I always find London interesting especially if it sets way back.
The protagonist's name, Arista didn't turn me on at all. I didn't like the name but she turned out to be lovable and admirable. She is
Rachel  (APCB Reviews)
Feb 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: disappointments
Nothing beats the crushing disappointment you feel when one of your most anticipated books falls flat. Tangled Webs had lots of promise yet failed to deliver all that it promised to give. The synopsis has everything I'd love to see in a book! The story hardly matches all that the synopsis claims.

To start, the setting of this novel is London in 1725. London is a fascinating city in my opinion. Send me to London in any book in any year, and I'll be pleased. The one stipulation is that you develop
Kat
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2015
*Source: Thank you to Nori for lending an ARC of this book to me!

Ehhh. That sums up how I feel about Tangled Webs. I don't have much to say about it because not much stood out to me. My biggest issue with the book was Lady A. She didn't seem developed enough. She was supposedly the "most notorious blackmailer" (according to the description)--which sounds awesome--but she . . . didn't do much. There was not much to her. I also don't quite grasp her role in the dealings. I guess I was just expecti
Adelynne
... I sense a love triangle coming.

But a female protagonist as a blackmailer??

Holy. Crap. I'm pretty excited.

Edit: 12/29:

Well, I hate to say it, but I was seriously dissapointed. I didn't like the romance at all. I wish the plot had been more focused on the actual blackmailing. (I wanted a lot more of that.)
Rhea Dsouza
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Things to look out for in Tangled Webs by Lee Bross

A VERY confused MC. Meet Arista aka Lady A aka Ana aka someone help me because so many “aka’s” aren’t even legal. Arista is a thief…or rather, the aid of a thief. Her boss, Bones (Villain #1), collects secrets of the aristocrats in London’s society and he’ll keep them safe, for a price, of course. He is cruel, abusive, and basically owns Arista. He keeps her starved and filthy, only allowing her to dress up family for the sake of masquerade pa
Larissa
Feb 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
See this mini review at: YA Midnight Reads

This novel had quite the premise, it appealed to me on every level. I mean come on, historical fiction coupled up with a complex blackmail scenario? Sign me up. Unfortunately with Tangled Webs I found myself simply unable to finish it. I ended up marking it as DNF at 30 percent just because I was so, so, so detached and bored out of my mind. The biggest issue for me was definitely the writing in this one. It just read as so bland and typical, and because
Kristen
This and other reviews on my blog My Friends Are Fiction

I tend to love historical YA so when I read the summary to Tangled Webs I was captivated and knew I’d want to read it. I had hopes that this book would be romantic, atmospheric and addictive. Sadly, I didn’t end up enjoying it nearly as well as I hoped.

Though this book took place in 1725 London the setting never felt all that historical to me. I didn’t feel swept back in time nor did I get a clear visual of this world that Lady A/Arista li
Lala_Loopsie [fire breathing B!tch Queen]
This book was nothing like i expected. I don't really know what i expected, it just wasn't this.

This was one of those books that i read just to continue doing something, to satisfy my curiosity. And it wasn't enough for me. it didn't really drag me in, like other books have done. I almost had to force myself to continue reading. I didn't really care what happened to Lady A/Arista/Ana. And that's not how i should feel.

All in all, the book wasn't bad by any means. It didn't have any "bad elements"
Aurélie (Exploring Pages)
Jun 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the 18th century
More reviews on my blog, Exploring Pages.
"Lady A." His voice sounded hoarse, like he'd only just started using it.
She inclined her head slightly. He took a long swallow from the glass of brandy clutched in his fat fingers. Just like that, she had the power again.

Thank you Disney Hyperion for providing me with an advanced reading copy for review.

Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Going into a book with little knowledge about it, nor having many expectations, payed off this time. Tangled Webs is, despite th
ReadWriteLove28

REVIEW

I just finished Tangled Webs and...wow. I am trying to put my thoughts together, but all that comes to mind is AEUHRGSR.EIGHR;EGHSOG. As of the time that I’m writing this (March 16th), Tangled Webs is by far, the best book that I have read in 2015. Yes, it was that amazing. I am amazed by Lee Bross’ writing prowess. If this review seems to be a bit all over the place, that’s because I’m trying to put my gushing thoughts into words.

Imagine living your life as an orphan, growing up with no f

Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
An ARC of this title was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts are my own. This review can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

This was...a bit of a disappointment. It started off well and then went downhill around the halfway point...maybe even before. I should have DNF'd it. I don't know why I didn't, to be honest. The premise intrigued me from the moment I read the summary, and I guess I just wanted to see it through.

I'm a sucker for a girl who gets by dre
Aila
Alright now I can get my thoughts in order after reading this book.

I honestly didn't dislike the overall book, but there was a lot of elements in it that added up to an overall low rating. The biggest factor, I have to admit, is the characters. Unfortunately, I couldn't connect to or sympathize with any of them. Not Arista, the main character, or her childhood friend/crush Nic, or her instalusty masked highwayman Grae, or the people who made the "tangled webs" in the story.

I WANTED to like Ari
Jackie (No Bent Spines)
ARC via Netgalley
More reviews on nobentspines.blogspot.com //

What do you get when you put unconditional love, the 1700s, and daggers in a bowl of kick butt? You, my lovely readers, get TANGLED WEBS by Lee Bross. Arista is Lady A, a notorious blackmailer from the London underworld. She gives secrets to Bones and in return…I’m not actually sure what she gets in return besides not being dead. The secrets are that of the rich ton. Dressed in back with a mask made of feathers, she wanders the partie
Pili
Jun 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This could be a case of bad timing, more of a it's not you, it's me kinda thing. I usually adore historical fiction but in this case I was not as captivated as I usually am.

There wasn't anything wrong with the world building or any historical innacuracies, but there was a certain vagueness to everything as far as the background and the setting. It was London, but other than some references to the foggy weather here and there... my impression is that we don't know nothing of the atmosphere, nothi
Erin Arkin
3.5 stars.

Tangled Webs by Lee Bross was a book I had my eye on and I knew that as soon as I had this book in my hands I would have to read it. I mean, it is historical (which I love), has a bit of swoon (which I love), and the underlying story has characters I find interesting (which I also love).

Bross starts this story by creating a world where the rich pay to keep their secrets hidden away…unless someone pays more for that secret. Mixed up in that world is Lady A and she is the face of an op
Liviania
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
TANGLED WEBS is the first historical novel by Lee Bross, who has also written YA under the name Lanie Bross and NA as L.E. Bross. It is a rather flawed novel, particularly in the way that characters disappear until they're suddenly needed for the plot. At the same time, I found it hard to put TANGLED WEBS down.

Arista works for Bones, who bought her from the orphanage when she was a child. She acts as Lady A, the face of his blackmail operation. Everyone knows her mask, because she's the only one
Cheryl

I had really high hopes for this book...especially because the cover was so pretty. But a pretty cover hid just a bland story. The MC Arista aka Lady A aka Ana (I think she has multiple personality disorder!) is an orphan who is raised by a horrible man to be a thief and a spy. But that's the problem...she doesn't act like a thief or a spy at all. In the first chapter Arista, while on a mission, meets and falls for Grae. BAM! Instalove!! To the point where she is distracted from her mis
Lisa
Started off so strong but ended up being predictable at times. Also be billed as a historical fiction novel but it's very light on historical accuracy and feel.
Britt
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own-these
LOVE! Review 6/18 @ Please feed The Bookworm
Roxanne
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
This had a lot of potential, but just didn't deliver.
Michelle
Jul 08, 2015 rated it liked it
**You can see this full review and more at Book Briefs: http://bookbriefs.net**Tangled Webs is one of those books where it was love at first glance. As soon as I saw the cover I fell in love. (side note: this is a beautifully designed book. Each of the chapters even has black and white lace designs on the pages. A wonderfully intricate touch, I thought.) I knew I wanted to read it. And then as soon as I saw the summary, and found out that Tangled Webs was about a blackmailer in historical London ...more
Sajda (Across the Words)
Review originally posted on my blog Across the Words

I really enjoy curling up with historical fiction books so when I heard about Tangled Webs, I was immensely intrigued by the storyline. I had pretty high expectations for this book given that a couple of my close blogger friends enjoyed it. Unfortunately, I didn’t enjoy this book as much as I hoped and I found it lacking on both the historical fiction and romance fronts.

Tangled Webs is set in 1725 London and follows that story of sixteen year o
Raven_Blake (dreamy addictions)
Its a good historical fiction novel for young readers. This book got an intriguing plot and I liked it a lot, but I don’t think I can say the same about its characters.Even with all the flaws it was surprisingly a good book.I think people who love historical fiction will definitely like this book.

The character named Arista AKA “Lady A” is a 16 year old tough girl who has gone through a hard life in her childhood. She was brought up as a thief from childhood, and now she’s a notorious blackmailer
Morris
Jul 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-reviews
“Tangled Webs” is a book that promises a glimpse into the seamy underbelly of Elizabethan England, following the life of a teenager who grew up in the household of a thief who used orphans to profit by committing crimes. The premise is a good one and the world is built well, but unfortunately, it did not live up to the promise of what could have been.

As far as the plot goes, it is a very interesting idea. Had it been told in a different style, with some character development tweaked, I believe i
Cassie C
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: disappointing
Tangled Webs is the perfect example of disappoint after building up a book too much in your mind. I'm being generous and giving this 2 stars. It wasn't a particularly bad book, but it wasn't particularly good either. I just got bored after awhile and didn't really care what was going to happen to anyone. I kept waiting and waiting for something interesting to happen, but nothing ever did (or if it did, it was extremely short-lived.

When I originally picked up this book, the summary made it s
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Velvet Undercover
  • Dead to Me
  • Strange Skies (Burn Out, #2)
  • Silver Eve (Guardians of Tarnec, #2)
  • Rebel Mechanics (Rebel Mechanics, #1)
  • Black Cats and Butlers (Rose Raventhorpe Investigates, #1)
  • The Lily and the Cross (The Ring and the Crown, #2)
  • Inherit the Stars (Inherit the Stars #1)
  • Da Vinci's Tiger
  • The Diamond Thief (The Diamond Thief, #1)
  • Mary Hades (Mary Hades #1)
  • Traitor Angels
  • Witchfall (The Tudor Witch Trilogy, #2)
  • Jubilee Manor (Landry Park, #2)
  • Evolution (Extraction, #3)
  • Brazen
  • The Unquiet
  • The Blue Woods (Twin Willows, #3)