Start by marking “Lady, You're Not a Man! : The Adventures of a Woman at Work” as Want to Read:
Lady, You're Not a Man! : The Adventures of a Woman at Work

Lady, You're Not a Man! : The Adventures of a Woman at Work

Todays woman wants to make a success of both family and career and is unwilling to compromise on either. But the burden of coping with deadlines, recalcitrant children, lazy husbands, difficult bosses and equally difficult in-laws can be daunting, even overwhelming. In this book, Apurva Purohit, CEO of Radio City 91.1 FM, shows how women can accept, adapt and achieve their ...more
Published 2013 by Rupa Publications India

To ask other readers questions about Lady, You're Not a Man! , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady, You're Not a Man!

Pradnya K.
It was last year, on international women's day when Apurva Purohit came to our workplace to deliver a message and inspiring us. That's where few of us got a copy of her book. Clearly I missed the workshop and hence it took a year to finally read this little yet powerful book.

Working in corporate sectors over a decade, I know what the lady, a former CEO of radio city, a radio channel and a former head of Zee TV, is talking about. Yes, we're not man. We should accept that. And this is where the r
Meghant Parmar
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If some women out there don't feel motivated or have lost that spark in themselves with time then this is the book for you.

It'll guide you well and clear out all the dark skies to give a ray of hope towards a positive future. :)

It has been penned down to perfection and there's a lot for working women to read and look forward to in the book.

Men might learn a few things too from the book. But it ain't about the gender.

The message is simple and pretty much loud and clear.

It's not the end of the
Alekhya
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
The book is an amazing piece of work ! With a slight subtle way of delivering humor this book will capture you till the very end.When i was reading the book i felt different .. different in a nice way :)...it was like a check list for me to understand what i learnt and what I did not. After all life is journey and this book will just let you see it the way it is - simple. Its always nice to hear your own giggles when you read a perfectly written book right? For those giggles and much more - just ...more
Ruchika Luthra
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This book has been written in a peppy manner. Great read for working women professionals. The key takeaway for me from this book is "Acceptance". Any change begins with acceptance. Acceptance of one's own limitations, like being guilty comes along as a part of the territory of being a woman. We just need to ensure which guilt are we more comfortable with. Post acceptance, comes adapting . Adapting to the best of current environmental needs. It is followed by Achievement.

Few highlights I like fr
Mahita
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short Take: Quick, effective read! Particularly for aspiring career women in India! ;)

Complete take at:

Shweta Mulay
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
A book all working women must read. Many a times we feel that the guilt we are going through is just with us and knowing that all women have to go through it makes things acceptable.

A great book for educated but non working women to come out for stereotype way of thinking and get to move the things.

A book to be read by men to understand female's juggling while handling home and office.

All in all a great book for all.
Deepali Phadke
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's easy to be overwhelmed for women who work to earn and try to manage the home front. This book assists you to get your priorities right again... Look at same things differently and remember there is a way. I found this worth the read.
Samridhi Khurana
Jan 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Practical, witty and empathetic towards both genders. The author has presented a very unbiased perspective on the issues faced by both men and women when working together, the not-so-subtle differences in thought process of both genders, and how to deal with them without any hysteria.
Anwesha Bose
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Irrespective of whether you are a working woman or not, you will connect to what is being said in the book. - TIF Review:
Clarin
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: social-issues
Empowering, enlightening, and most of all, entertaining.
Shikha Sethi
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice!! A must read for working woman. Some really useful and practical messages have been presented in a simple, clear and funny manner
Nithya K
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I took some time to read this highly insightful and entertaining book written by Apurva Purohit.
I realized that my friend who had initially suggested it to me was damn right about it. She had waved it in front of my uppity nose and swore her cat's ass about its ability to elicit laughs.
Elicit laughs, it surely did. It also struck a cord and kept me hooked till the end.

The core idea is that women at the workplace tend to behave like their male counterparts and somewhere miss out on benefiting
mads
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy, breezy without being preachy or queasy

I feel the book is an essential handbook for all the women who are trying to find their way through the corporate bylanes. Their are some really relevant sections on how to juggle work and family effectively without going on a guilt trip and maintaing your sanity.
I selected the book mainly because of it's catchy title , but I was hooked from the word go. It's contents are quite relevant in the current scenario. I liked the fact that this book addressed
Poonam Kaur
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
A must read for the ones who want to become or compete with the other gender. The writing is simple and yet very thoughtful. There are lot of analogies by the writer which will make you think about yourself especially if you are the one who competes to show that your gender is greater than the other. The book makes us understand ones gender and get comfortable with the behavior associated with it. You will feel proud of your gender once your done with this book! Must read for working class ladie ...more
Khushboo
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, library
The book is not bad. But, I guess I don't have it in me to take so much preaching. The author presenting her life as an example of perfection irritated me a bit.

Also, there was some stereotyping there when she said that (all?) men have huge egos and are incapable of taking instructions. Her advice was to let them think that they are doing what you want, out of their own volition. I think it was quite unnecessary and rather stupid. We women don't need to put up with such nonsense.
Most of her othe
Swetha Ravishankar
Simply wonderful

This book has touched several nerves and being a working working woman with a family, I could relate to all parts of the book and it was like I was reading several of my worries and thoughts get a perspective and glad that I am not alone here and it's the entire women folk who feel and think the same.
Mahashwetha Rao
Good insight of a woman's life

The book is decently good with few tips on how to juggle work or how not to be monotonous in work. How the dynamics change after marriage or kids any how to embrace it. Definitely it is funny, Tips are practical but after certain pages reaading it got a bit boring for me
Nitika Karnad
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. The author brings to light such truth on the male chauvinist filled corporate life & the general sexist assumptions we, as a society, make in everyday conversations. Highly recommend this to all women! And to all the men out there- read and learn!
Pratyusha Sen
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Keeping this book by your side can definitely help in those tough times you face in your life as a working woman. It helps understanding the work-sphere and how we should be handling it with grace and ease. Helpful read, no doubt.
(Library)Million81
Very interesting read.suitable for those seeking enlightenment

I enjoy reading it.calms me down.highly recommended for women of all ages And of different culture and region. Thank you
Venugopal Adep
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best book I have ever read.

Apurva has handled this topic very well. It was an eye opener and now I know what I am doing better and areas of my improvement. This book is equally good for both men and women. I strongly recommend this book.
Krishna
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
As a young woman just starting out in her career, this book has become the Holy Grail. With relatable anecdotes and simple corporate mantras, I’m more determined than ever to have an ambitious career.

Men as well as women must read it.
Bindal Bhabhera
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book

Great read for working women struggling to manage job and house both as well as to train husbands to be good husbands 😉
Reshma Mohiyiddin
The tagline and contents of the book are totally misleading.Except for a couple of chapters,which talks about women in the corporate world,most of it is comparision of the two genders.
Suteja
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As the name suggests! it is for all the woman who are out there and doing everything in their capacity and wondering why men are sheer useless. This book can change a lot of that perspective :)
Sakshi
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice book. Kind of felt like Indian version of Sheryl Sandberg's "lean in". But an honest and fun take on woman's life. Enjoyed reading it
Dhananjay Kulkarni
This is a must read book for all career women and their husbands! Written more from Indian cultural point of view and more relevant than similar ones written by US / UK authors.
Bharat
Feb 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-books
I always believed the best thing that can be gifted is a book, and I have this habit of gifting my close friends with books I believe they should be reading. My friends accuse that I gift them books that I wish to read. I probably prove this allegation by borrowing the book immediately after gifting it to them!

So, recently I bought this book for a very good friend of mine and ended up reading it before she could even start a page.

The author is the CEO of a top radio channel, and her husband runs
Honey
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I accidentally came across this book while I was going through some really tough times in my work as well as health. These are the words from the bottom of my heart - This book gives me a lot of positive vibes that helps me to take some critical decisions at that time. This book is a must-read to all, especially working moms who are struggling between career and family. Readers would get a feeling that each of the problems that we face are not only ours, many are facing the same or much worse th ...more
Janhvi
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-book
Lady, You're Not A Man by Apurva Purohit looks like a read that I would usually not go for. At all, actually. But as I read the book I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a very unique book and so easy for a woman to relate to.

The book is not a story or anything. It is actually divided in parts and each part focuses on one aspect or the other in a woman's life. Each chapter was short and there was a sorta moral at the end of it. This made it really easy to go through the chapters. They were precise and

• Red Turban White Horse: My Sister's Hurricane Wedding
  • Wise Enough to be Foolish
  • 30 Women in Power
  • Nemi - Vol. 3 (Nemi, #3)
  • Innovating Women:  The Changing Face of Technology
  • The Guardian Angels
  • Stiletto Network: Inside the Women's Power Circles That Are Changing the Face of Business
  • Through the Labyrinth: The Truth About How Women Become Leaders
  • Bull by the Horns: Fighting to Save Main Street from Wall Street and Wall Street from Itself
  • Take One More Chance
  • Wedding Shenanigans: Or, how Rayna grapples with heartbreak, scandal and a hot hotelier
  • The Art of War for Women: Sun Tzu's Ancient Strategies and Wisdom for Winning at Work
  • The One She Was Warned About
  • प्रच्छन्न
  • Meena Kumari
  • The Edge of Desire
  • Sequential Drawings
“Priorities need to change at different stages of our life if we want to grow and evolve.” 4 likes