Start by marking “The Princess Test (The Princess Tales, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Princess Test (The Princess Tales, #2)

The Princess Test

(The Princess Tales #2)

King Humphrey has decided it's time for his son, Prince Nicholas, to marry. But he must make sure the bride is a real princess. So he devises a series of princess tests, designed to weed out the phonies and the fakes. Meanwhile, Nicholas has fallen in love with Lorelei, a mere blacksmith's daughter. She's no princess, but he wants to marry her all the same--but how will sh ...more
Published March 21st 1999 by HarperCollins

Start your review of The Princess Test (The Princess Tales, #2)
Wren (fablesandwren)
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Do you like retelling of fairy-tales? Gail Carson Levine is the author for you. She is witty, and pokes fun at fairy-tales all the while making you love the story even more.

– The Princess Test by Gail Carson Levine

Just by the first page, you can grasp the humor Levine puts in her words. Her use of run-on sentences leaves
Anne
Jul 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Very short re-telling of The Princess and the Pea. It's a pretty cute and funny to be such a tiny book.
Macayla Fryc
Dec 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
This was cute :) Laughed out loud a handful of times.

Prince Nicholas was beside himself. Where was Lorelei?
***
Lorelei was flat on her face in the forest. She had tripped over a tree root and she was too tired to get up.

She hurried across the drawbridge. "Achoo!" She would be dry inside. If the owner was an ogre and he decided to eat her, she'd warm up while she roasted. And if he was a decent ogre, he might even let her take a bath before he cooked her.
Amanda
I enjoyed how Lorelei has specific skills, embroidery and herbal medicine, because she’s spent her life coping with allergens. I also found Trudy’s murderous intentions odd yet funny. I enjoyed hearing about the princess tests and why Nicholas wanted to marry Lorelei, which was more than just her looks.
Abi (The Knights Who Say Book)
I regret to inform you all that this is still the most charming book in existence. Gail Carson Levine perfected it in 1999 and no one else needs to try.

(that's a lie, cute & clever retellings are my favorite genre please keep making them)
Rae
Jul 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Levine's style and spirit are fun to read, but I was disappointed in character integrity, usually held high in fairy tales. It's a spoof on the Princess and the pea, and I like the description on the goodreads website-- it makes all the inconsistencies make sense.
Heather
Dec 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not amazing, but good. Short. Sweet. Fun. This only took about an hour to read. A great escapist reading moment to lighten my mood after finishing a heavy book. I plan to read the rest of these short stories over the holiday break.
Christopher Hicks
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It's a fun retelling of the Princess and the Pea. It really is a charming little book.
 ☆Ruth☆
Another of the Princess Tales, this time based on the story of the Princess and the Pea. It was quite entertaining and a fun read for children.
Grace Bittle
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fairy-tale, romance
The life lesson I learned from this is: notice all the little thing you see.
Samantha Penrose
(3.5 stars) This is a longer, darker, chapter-book version of the princess and the pea.
From page 1, ("She cried when her porridge was too hot or too cold or too salty or too bitter or too sweet. She cried when her bathwater was too hot or too cold or too wet or not wet enough.") I found myself identifying with Lorelei. She is impossibly particular, prone to allergy and illness, and rather clumsy. Lorelei realizes what a handful she can be and shows some regret, but hey, she is who she is.
At tim
Denae Christine
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Reader thoughts: Let's see if I remember correctly. The MC is very fragile and picky, sort of. She has to have everything perfect and just so. She can't even sleep on mattresses if there is a pea underneath. Now, I also think she wasn't whiny about it. The other girls vying to be princess were simpering fools, but the MC wasn't. She just was too delicate to have anything less than the best. She saw past all the tests not because she was spoiled but because she had a sense of whether something wa ...more
Rosalba
Dec 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: princess-like
I just reread this little book I bought when I was nine and loved; and now I'm loving it all over again. Sure, the language is simple, but not so much that it will bore you, it is for kids but adults may enjoy it if they have a young heart.
I love the personality that Levine gives her characters,specially her princesses. Although I'd probably be totally annoyed at Lorelei half the time if I had to live with her, she's so fickle. But not on purpose of course. Which would made me like her. And I h
Mimi
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: older-children
My four year old daughter handed this to me the other day and then actually listened to the entire story as I read it to her. I would guess the book is actually for maybe seven to nine year olds who can read it to themselves.

The story is an adaptation of The Princess and the Pea. It is a short, simple book, with a surprisingly not-nice housekeeper. At least it wasn't the stepmother for once! :)

I thought it was funny to have the palace servants prefer picky monarchs, because then the servants ate
C.J. Milbrandt
2018 Re-read.

Lorelei the blacksmith's daughter is about as high-maintenance a young lady as you'll find. The only thing she cannot bungle is embroidery, so she sits and sews all day. She attracts the notice of the Prince, who would gladly make her his bride, but the King and Queen want nothing but the best for their boy. To marry Prince Nicholas, the right girl has to pass every test, proving herself a True Princess.

Silk sheets and velvet diapers. Quirky embroidery and fussy eaters. Scheming h
Alyssa
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Of all the fairy tale retelling books that I have read, this Princess and the Pea retelling was by far my favorite and has always held a soft spot in my heart. The main character Lorelei is delicate, to say the least. She's lovable and kindhearted, but rather blundering and laughable. She suffers from numerous ailments and is clumsy, but she's always interested in helping out. The romance is cute and fluffy, and the story is very entertaining. Anyone with a love for fairy tales will love this cu ...more
Sharon
Sep 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A charming and funny retelling!
Elaine
This is, like, the BEST variation of The Princess and the Pea ever! (Not that there were many Princess and the Pea variations in the first place, but...)
Alex Shrugged
This is a remake of "The Princess and the Pea" or a similar title that I read in my youth. This story was not as good as "Ella Enchanted", but it was reasonably good and followed a similar theme.

Note: This audiobook is offered free for listening through Audible during this time of the virus crisis. I assume it is available only for a short time. You can find these audiobooks at Audible Stories.

The story: Lorelei is not cut out to be a blacksmith's daughter. She seems destined for a more noble l
Karith Amel
Mar 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: vacation-reading
I remember liking Gail Carson Levine's Ella Enchanted when I listened to the audiobook in college. (I don't remember how I had time to listen to it in college, but I think it had something to do with a coping strategy - listen to a fun book while falling asleep - suggested by my brother.) I liked it because it was interesting and unique (and nothing at all like the movie of the same name). So let me just say that The Princess Test was a let down. Not because it was a novella written for children ...more
Meg McGregor
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairy-tales
What a fun read! I love how the heroine is able to be smart, pretty, and yet vulnerable at the same time!

The tests to determine, if the princess was indeed a real princess, were just so outlandish yet so fun!

The first test was the princess had to pick out a sprig of parsley from a bouquet of flowers.

The second test was the princess to pick out the tiniest speck of noodle in her dinner salad.

Next the princess had to notice, that the skirt and bodice she had been given to wear for the banquet, wer
Hillary Rose
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
For a complete review, check out my Young Adult book blog:

Lorelei is the daughter of a humble peasant – with the tastes of a princess. Everything must be just-so for this picky, but sweet, girl. She doesn’t mean to be particular; it’s just the way she is. She accidentally finds herself at the castle amongst scores of princesses vying for the hand of the prince. If she can pass The Princess Test, she will get to marry the kind prince.

Are you an avid reader
Diane
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it
In a retelling of The Princess and the Pea, Lorelei is a lady in the village who is so sensitive that any work usually causes her a physical malady. When her mother dies, her father hires Trudy to take care of the household. But Trudy can't stand Lorelei and plots to get rid of her. So, she abandons Lorelei in the woods. Meanwhile, the king and queen are looking for a wife for Prince Nicholas. They have designed a whole battery of tests. Prince Nicholas is not thrilled until Lorelei stumbles int ...more
Pyrate Queen
King Humphrey has decided its time for his son, Prince Nicholas, to marry. But he must make sure that his bride is a real princess, so he devises a series of princess tests, designed to weed out the phonies and the fakes. Meanwhile, Nicholas has fallen in love with Lorelei, a mere blacksmith's daughter. She's no princess but he wants to marry her at the same. How will she ever pass the terrible tests?
Liralen
Entertaining (very funny on a line level), but it's also interesting to think how different a fairytale style this is than Levine's better-known Ella Enchanted: in Ella, the emphasis is on inner strength and being your own hero; in The Princess Test, Lorelei...how do I put this? The proof that she's made to be a princess is that she's physically weak. Courageous, yes, and of strong moral fiber...but also pretty helpless. The book's doing something specific and classic, but it's a pretty interest ...more
DM
May 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Set around a hundred years after Rosella and Harold this retelling of The Princess and The Pea (which is one of my favorite stories when I was a kid) is much more interesting.

I liked this story better than the 1st one because at least the Prince is much more to my liking. xD
Baby Lorelei is lucky she has loving parents who are willing to spoil her... Anyway at least she's kind-hearted.

All-in-all a 3.5 starss :)
Liz K
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
The characters are insufferable and it sometimes reads like someone who is rushing through telling the tale to a small child and trying to remember how the story goes. But despite it's flaws, it's a cute little fairytale story and a very quick read. I wouldn't recommend it, but if someone wanted to read it I wouldn't stop them from doing so.
Jessica
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fairytale-enthuiasts
Currently free at Audible Stories

Listening Time: 1 hour 3 minutes

An humorous well narrated retelling of Princess and the Pea.
Tracy
May 12, 2017 rated it liked it
It's a cute retelling of the princess and the pea ... but I'm just not too fond of the two books in this series that I've read. The characters feel shallow, and I like for my fairy tale retellings to make the original make more sense.
Jennifer M
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was nostalgia overload from my childhood. I read it as a part of a read-a-thon, and I still love it. It is a retelling of The Princess and the Pea. I wished it were longer, but the book was funny and the characters were charming.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Rivals 2! More Frenemies Who Changed the World (Rivals, #2)
  • Sirena
  • Once Upon a Curse
  • The Salamander Spell (The Tales of the Frog Princess, #5)
  • The Wide-Awake Princess (Wide-Awake Princess, #1)
  • The Frog Princess
  • Confessions of a Token Black Girl
  • Not-So-Weird Emma
  • Only Emma
  • Book of a Thousand Days
  • The Dragon Princess
  • The Princess Curse
  • The Runaway Dolls (Doll People, #3)
  • Monks and Mystics: Chronicles of the Medieval Church (History Lives #2)
  • The Storyteller's Daughter: A Retelling of the Arabian Nights
  • Princess of the Midnight Ball (The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy, #1)
  • Dragon Planet (The Zero Chronicles #2)
  • The Witchcraft of Salem Village
Just letting you all know: I'm only going to review books I love. There's enough negative criticism without me piling on. A book is too hard to write.

Gail Carson Levine grew up in New York City and began writing seriously in 1987. Her first book for children, Ella Enchanted, was a 1998 Newbery Honor Book. Levine's other books include Fairest; Dave at Night, an ALA Notable Book and Best Book for Yo

The Princess Tales (6 books)
  • The Fairy's Mistake (The Princess Tales, #1)
  • Princess Sonora and the Long Sleep (The Princess Tales, #3)
  • Cinderellis and the Glass Hill (The Princess Tales, #4)
  • For Biddle's Sake (The Princess Tales, #5)
  • The Fairy's Return (The Princess Tales, #6)