Start by marking “The Art of War and Other Classics of Eastern Thought” as Want to Read:
The Art of War and Other Classics of Eastern Thought

The Art of War and Other Classics of Eastern Thought

The Art of War by the Chinese general Sun Tzu is one of the most influential books of military strategy ever written. For more than 2,000 years, its aphoristic insights and wisdom have been applied in a wide variety of disciplines, ranging from the business and legal professions to the martial arts and sports.

The Art Other and Other Classics of Eastern Thought collects Su
Leather Bound, 760 pages
Published August 12th 2013 by Sterling

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of War and Other Classics of Eastern Thought

Kevin
Apr 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: horrible
This isn't my first delving into Taoism or Eastern Ideologies. As an ideology Taoism is one on previous occasions I have found great joy in reading and learning from its wisdom. Picking up another copy of the Art of War with four other great Eastern writings for me was a no brainer. Unfortunately while the Art of War is translated by Lionel Giles is a good translation, everything else in the book is translated by James Legge.

Don't be upset if that means absolutely nothing to you, it meant nothin
Zy Marquiez
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-reviews
The Art Of War & Other Classics Of Easter Philosophy showcases some of the most timeless and meaningful eastern philosophical classics to exist. The best part is that the book is as beautiful outside as the knowledge is endless in the inside.

With ivory white paper, and a solid binding and spine to boot, the Cantebury Classics offer a LOT of value in a leatherbound book. In fact, out of all the Cantebery Classics its hands down my favorite one - aesthetically pleasing and content-wise.

To get
Camilla
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An enduring book of numerous digestible wisdoms applicable to many aspects of life.
Marina
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Students of Spirituality.
Recommended to Marina by: My yoga teacher
Norman Van Der Schyff
This is my third version of the Art of War. This one is special, as it is very well presented, printed and bound in leather. The philosophies that accompany the Art of War, which include the Tao Te Ching, Confucian Analects, The Great Learning, The Doctrine of the Mean, and the Works of Mencius, all support to make the Art more understandable. It also gives an insight into the historical Chinese mindset. This specific issue makes for an excellent present for someone interested in management.
carlita_is_probably_reading
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very strategic indeed. I wonder if our current forces utilizes the strategies mapped out in this guide. I know I would.
Jenny
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have revisited this book over and over and I love different piece of it each time. It's timeless, wise, and a defining guide on "what to do now?"
Lisa
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've read The Art of War before, but this edition has a commentary which was very interesting to read as well.
Auggie Heschmeyer
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great edition of this book. This was my third time reading it and I was still able to get new things out of it. Additionally, as this edition contains a collection of works that give context to the eponymous text (The Tao Te Ching, Confusician Analects, etc.), you're able to learn a thing or two about the worldview that led to Sun Tzu's masterpiece.
Sintija Buhanovska
Austrumu filozofijas klasika, kas aktuāla ir arī 21. gadsimta cilvēkiem. Mūžīgas vērtības, padomi, atziņas par valstīm, politiku, attiecībām, ģimeni, draudzību. Lasot nepamet jautājums: ja cilvēki jau daudzus simtus gadus atpakaļ zināja, uz kādiem principiem ir jāveido pasaules stabilitāte un ikviena labklājība, kāpēc mēs tomēr izliekamies, ka neko no tā visa nezinām? Vai kari un ienaids reiz spēs rimties? Un nevar taču nepiekrist, ka "(..) supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's res ...more
Jeni
Oct 27, 2016 rated it liked it
The Art of War was great; I totally understand why it's still being taught in military schools today. The biggest problem I had with this book is that it was like 1oo pages of explaining and then 50 pages of actual text. This caused me to skip sections and skim a lot more than I usually do. Not helped by the fact this took me months to read.
Chris
Annabelle Peoples
Dec 10, 2018
Damon Devitt
Jul 19, 2019
Mrs. Anderson's E...: The Art of War and Other Classics of Eastern Thought 1 6 Mar 10, 2016 01:14PM

• Classic American Short Stories
  • Ernest Hemingway: Four Novels
  • The Constitution of the United States of America and Selected Writings of the Founding Fathers.
  • Mark Twain
  • Aesop's Illustrated Fables
  • Fairy Tales From Around the World
  • Tarzan of the Apes: The First Three Novels (Tarzan, #1-3)
  • American Gods / Anansi Boys: Coffret, 2 volumes
  • Inventions, Researches and Writings of Nikola Tesla
  • A Wonder-Book for Girls and Boys
  • Doctor Who: The Silent Stars Go By & Touched by an Angel
  • The Martian Chronicles / The Illustrated Man / The Golden Apples of the Sun
  • Jules Verne: Seven Novels (Extraordinary Voyages, #1 & 3 & 4 & 6 & 7 & 11 & 12)
  • Five Novels: Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, David Copperfield, A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations
  • Jane Eyre / Les Hauts de Hurle-Vent / Agnes Grey
  • Dracula and Other Horror Stories
  • Adobe Illustrator CC Classroom in a Book
  • Kissinger the Negotiator: Lessons from Dealmaking at the Highest Level
Sun Tzu (孫子; pinyin: Sūnzǐ) is a honorific title bestowed upon Sūn Wu (孫武 c. 544-496 BC), the author of The Art of War (孫子兵法), an immensely influential ancient Chinese book on military strategy. Sun Tzu believed in the use of the military sciences to effect outcomes that would result in peace.

In the author's name, Sūn Wu, the character wu, meaning "military", is the same as the character in wu shu