Start by marking “Anelisse: A True Story of Child Abuse” as Want to Read:
Anelisse: A True Story of Child Abuse

Anelisse: A True Story of Child Abuse

'Anelisse' is a memoir about one girl's struggle to survive child abuse at the hands of her alcoholic stepfather while her lovestruck mother turns the other cheek. This book chronicles author Adriana Bellini's real-life battle with child abuse and gives a chilling, detailed account of how she and her siblings made it out alive.
Published August 18th 2013 by Monarch Publishing House

To ask other readers questions about Anelisse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anelisse

Kimberly Hicks
Jan 21, 2014 Kimberly Hicks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Kimberly by: ReadCheaply
Shelves: read-on-kindle
OMG, it's stories like this that make me absolute abhor a child abuser--hell, any type of abuser for that matter. What Anelisse a/k/a Lissy had to endure with her twin sister and brother, was an absolute downright pitiful damn shame. Her mother definitely doesn't win the "mother of the year" award in my book because it was due to her own neglect that her children were subjected to physical and mental abuse at the hands of their stepfather.

What the hell is a child supposed to do, and where does o
Kat
Nov 03, 2013 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
This book spoke to me in SO many ways. I cried, I smiled, my mouth fell open in shock. While I survived a different element of child abuse, many of her emotional issues, stressers, and ways of dealing with life, sounded incredibly familiar to me.

She seems like someone I could connect with.
M.A. Nichols
Apr 16, 2014 M.A. Nichols rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fantastic first-hand account about a young woman raised in an abusive household. To watch her life change from good to bad to worse and then pulling out of the downward spiral is heart-wrenching. The writing was simple, but poignant and effective for the subject matter. Reading about her experiences--especially her relationship with her siblings and mother--was eye-opening and though it obviously is a painful and deeply traumatic part of her life, her words are very moving and it's ob ...more
Kimm Mackie
Apr 30, 2014 Kimm Mackie rated it it was amazing
So sad yet beautifully written

I too was very abused as a child and the emotional abuse went on years after I had gotten away. I never could forgive my mother for allowing us to go through that and not protecting us. I admire the author for having the strength to get through her ordeal. I too was the mother and protector of my siblings. we all suffer from mental illness due to the seriousness of the abuse. we all did get away none of us faired as well as the author.
e
Her book is an inspiration to
Melissa
Mar 09, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very heartwarming story about a girl who grew up with an alcoholic stepfather. This story captures victim's hearts, and gives them a sense of hope and understanding. It also allows them to feel as if they are not alone and sheds a light on their future.
It also gives knowledge to society on the reality of abuse, and how many individuals are shy in admitting when a child is being harmed, or putting a stop to it.
The truth of the matter is, with this story; you'll realize ABUSE is REAL, and it d
Kelly
Feb 17, 2014 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Child abuse

Child abuse

I had to give this book five stars for the way this child had to grow up in house with two abusive parents. She not only got out but made her way through life the best way she could. I was raised from age eleven by an abusive stepmother, after my mother had passed away. I also had to get out and leave my two siblings the way she did. I love her writing and would like to have more of her books.
juan esteban valdez jr
Mar 11, 2014 juan esteban valdez jr rated it it was amazing
Great book

this book was great I stayed up supper late because I couldn't put it down I had to get to the next page. I definitively recommend it, especially for those going through abuse or have gone through abuse, definitively a must read.
Frenchie
Apr 09, 2014 Frenchie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Frenchie by: Browsing Amazon.co.uk
Real rating 3.5
----------------
Another heart breaking account of adults' cruelty towards children . Anelisse is the account of a survivor who lived through abuse from her alcoholic stepfather. The abuse was physical in the sense that she got beat up a few times but in her case, the worst abuse was the emotional one. It left scars deeper than the physical abuse. Because the ones who should have protected her and her siblings let them down and this was a bitter betrayal.
Anelisse had a few good peo
Kristine
Anelisse: A True Story of Child Abuse by Adriana Bellini is a free Goodreads First-Reads advance reader copy of a book I received in mid-November. I was drawn to this book by its synopsis and its beautiful and heartstring-pulled front cover.

What the front cover initially leads you to believe is that only the childhood of the title character, Anelisse, is told over the course of reading the book when it is truly the span of Anelisse's childhood, teenage life, and adulthood. Time does indeed pass
Claudia
This is a book that is very easy to read, and easy to understand and follow the story. On the other hand it is a "dark" or unhappy book bacause of the story itself, since it's not a happy story. I think a more happy ending is missing and the reader finishes the book wanting something more or something else. Although I understand the need or the intention of the author to be as more accurate as possible to real life, a little bit of fantasy in the end would give the reader that "everything turned ...more
Mom2triplets04
I hardly ever real true stories. This book I got from Amazon Prime on my kindle for free for the month of March. It's about a 19 year old girl who had an abusive step father and mom. She tells her story of her life from the time her step father married the mom. I think she was about 5 years old when they married or may even be younger. All those years she struggled with abuse.
Judy Ann Bertoson
Jan 14, 2017 Judy Ann Bertoson rated it it was amazing
Emotional Read!!

This story gives you a in-depth look at what children all around the world goes through and the emotional scars it leaves on them into adulthood. I would recommend this book.
Kasi
Jan 16, 2014 Kasi rated it it was amazing
A great book about the struggle of children of abusive parents and their fight to stay alive and move on with their lives.
Angala
Feb 10, 2014 Angala added it
Heartbreaking

This true story wasn't only heartbreaking but it was heartwarming to know that you can over come abuse and live a somewhat normal life
Ariana
Dec 28, 2014 Ariana rated it it was amazing
Great book

It was a book I couldn't put down! Very heartbreaking what she went through at such a young age. Overall it's written well and keeps your attention from start to finish.
CeeCee James
Apr 13, 2014 CeeCee James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book inspired me to face some truths in my own life. Hard to read at times, but touching and hopeful at other times. I recommend it!
Terri Barrett
Jan 20, 2015 Terri Barrett rated it liked it
A heartbreaking story!
Terri
Jul 22, 2017 Terri rated it it was amazing
Good read for anyone whose suffered abuse and has not dealt with it.

My siblings and I suffered abuse as children, although we didn't realize it was abuse until later in life. It's odd to me that a person can live in an abusive environment but not realize it's abuse until they've experienced life outside of it. That's how it was for me and I always expected the drama to be right around the corner. Never trusting anyone. Not believing that anyone can be trusted. I still grieve for the child I was
Bridget Holbert
Nov 02, 2016 Bridget Holbert rated it it was amazing
Good

Intersting book about a young girl who suffers abuse by her step father and mother. She is the oldest of 3 children who becomes their protecter, she eventually gets them out but life does not get easier. I personally would live to give her mother and step father a piece of my mind! I hope and pray for this author finds peace and happiness!
Tisha Griffin
May 16, 2017 Tisha Griffin rated it really liked it
Good book.

It is terrible that someone has been subjected to a child hood full of abuse. I can only hope that writing this book was cathartic to some degree.
Kacey
Jul 07, 2015 Kacey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abuse-kidnapping
While it's obvious the author had a very hard childhood, teenage hood, and even adulthood, the writing style isn't my favorite when reading true-life abuse stories. While she wrote about some of the things she experienced, none of it was in great detail, or from the point of view of a child's mind. I can understand this, having had a hard childhood myself.

There's a detachment there, needed to help us cope and move on. However, when I'm reading about childhood experiences, I like to hear how it
Patricia Kaniasty
This was a good story but not a great story. The abuse that took place did not warrent all the warnings that this book came with. Compared to other books I have read, this one was very mild. However, it moved along nicely and was a quick read.
Joan Albright
Jul 01, 2015 Joan Albright rated it it was amazing
Very good read!

I highly recommend this book. I loved how accurately it portrays the insanity of a personality disordered/addict centered home. A tragic story but one that needs to be told.
Amna
May 09, 2015 Amna marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
good
Pamela Varley
Oct 29, 2016 Pamela Varley rated it really liked it
I

I admire your strength Lissy. May the future for you and your family , be ever bright and calm . Greatest respect xx
Genelle DeCanio
Jan 24, 2017 Genelle DeCanio rated it really liked it
Good read

This is a very sad yet hopeful book about abuse in family. Some parts are hard to read yet the will to survive is greater.
Christine Schmitt
Though the story is heartbreaking and I truly tried to finish this book, I could not get passed the way the story jumped all over the place.
Grant
Oct 05, 2016 Grant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that really made me feel I loved the writing and the way the author grew the characters in the book. A very good read.
Ros Alexander
Ros Alexander rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2017
  • Claiming Jeremiah
  • Not One Of Them: A Story of Adoption, Alcoholism and Abuse
  • Carolina Sunshower
  • Online Education: A Practical Guide to Success in the Online Environment
  • Dirty Old Man (A True Story)
  • The Girl Nobody Wants - A Shocking True Story of Child Abuse in Ireland
  • Sunlight on My Shadow: A Birth Mother's Journey From Secrecy to Renewal
  • Highway to Hell: The Road Where Childhoods Are Stolen
  • Little Things That Make a Big Difference
  • Single Girls
  • House of Horrors
  • Shooting with Soul: 44 Photography Exercises Exploring Life, Beauty and Self-Expression
  • Driving the Birds
  • Just Because...: A Collection of Short Stories
  • Shaken: A Story of Emotional Abuse and Depression
  • Catholic Prayers of Thanks
  • Hush
  • Sutherland's Rules
Adriana Bellini is an American author, born and raised in a small town in New Jersey just outside of Philadelphia. She enjoys reading, writing, painting, singing with a band, and rescuing feral cats. A veteran in the nursing field and current student of psychology, Adriana draws from her experiences in her career field and education background to craft her fiction works. Her newly-released best-se ...more
More about Adriana Bellini...