Start by marking “The Lotus Effect (Rise Of The Ardent, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lotus Effect (Rise Of The Ardent, #1)

The Lotus Effect

(Rise of the Ardent #1)

An improbable partnership. An unforgettable love.

Lily Emerson, daughter of the Head of Council and Mistress of Science, has lived a privileged life. It’s Lily’s 18th nameday, the day she is to follow in her mother’s footsteps, becoming the next Mistress of Science—the most powerful woman in all of City Prosper. The Architect and designer of Prosper’s future.

During the nigh
Published July 19th 2013 by Obese Rhino Publishing (first published July 18th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Lotus Effect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lotus Effect

♥♡¢σσкιє♥♡ (Krystle)
You can read this review and more on my blog:

I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I feel like I am all over the place with my thoughts on this book, but there is just so much to talk about and I don't know what to focus on. I mean this was a fairly long read so there is a lot of content that I could comment on, but I don't know how to start! But the main point that I want to get across is that this book was a feast for the imagination. I have
Lauren Kathryn
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, people cannot write dystopian books without being compared to The Hunger Games nowadays. I suppose that that is inevitable, but it does irk me; especially as The Lotus Effect is definitely one of the better dystopian stories.

The writing completely enticed me. I fell in love with the world that Ladd created - it was very descriptive and fascinating. The characters didn't disappoint either...

Lily was a kick-ass, empowering main - on par with ever loved and adored Katniss. She made her de
H.S.J. Williams
Jan 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Just so you know, three stars doesn't mean I disliked this book. Actually, it's pretty good, but for some reason, it had trouble holding my attention. Also, I thought more explanation was due the reader for the first part of the book. Secrets and mystery are all well and good, but I got confused.

Still, I'd recommend this to anyone who likes dystopian and unique worlds. Xander is awesome. I loved how it dealt with the moral issues of fighting in an arena.

Younger readers should probably wait on t
Zoe and the Edge
This might be the most non-violent violent book I have read.

On starting this I was a little worried over Lily's personality. A whiner, impulsive and too stupid too live, I only decided to persevere when I met Xander. Xander and Lily's relationship is like princess meets outlaw.
Xander is a competent and talented blacksmith/engineer. He is also a deadly fighting machine with cat-like senses. I liked him right away. I trusted his instincts. So I figured if he's the love interest Lily must turn in
Cayla
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free-on-kindle
Seriously the only bad thing about this book was that it ended.

What can I say? I have so much to say, but I don't know if I could make sense of it all!

Lily is the next Mistress of Science in City Prosper. On the night of her coronation, she finally realizes that she cannot sit by and watch as the Council continues it's wave of corruption. The citizens of City Prosper are sheltered and don't have much say in what happens within the city. Things have been unchanged for as long as anyone can rememb
Roxanne
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5 Giant Beautiful stars for this book!! I loved every second and cannot wait for the next book to come out.

I will admit that I was hesitant to start reading this book as it was heavily compared to Hunger Games which was just an amazing series and I was worried that this would be a knock-off of that. It wasn't. This story was similar in a few ways like having "sectors" instead of "districts", an evil all powerful government that rules the lives of all the citizens, and the part where a team from
Marisa
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This book snagged my attention from the beginning and I was compulsively reading it through the end. I cannot WAIT to read the second one, I hope there will be more in the series. Lily is a unique and interesting character. I loved that there was something lingering just outside the edge of her memory that she can’t quite remember. This gave the book and extra layer of interest even as Lily and Xander found themselves in nonstop challenges.

The book certainly does borrow some aspects of “The Hung
Rachel Benecke
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
OH. MY. GOSH. Did I love this book! The characters were so awesome - I don't really know how to describe them other than that. I appreciated that while Lily was a strong young woman, she was also wiling to accept help, from Xander and others - I am so sick of the "strong" female character who lives so isolated from others because she is determined to prove herself! I enjoyed every moment of this book. At first I worried that there were simply too many elements involved, but Bridget Ladd's addict ...more
Avidaudiolistner
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great read! Anyone can write a story, but it takes an artist to paint a picture in the reader's mind. Bridget Ladd has done just that with her debut novel "The Lotus Effect". This book is very well written with mystery, romance, and an unlikely partnership between Lily and Xander who must battle the corruption that has become a way of life for so many in their home of City Prosper.
Action packed must read for both young-adults and adults! I loved this book!
Anne Stengl
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bridget Ladd brings a fresh voice and a fun perspective to this genre, creating a strong character in her heroine, Lily . . . a character who has stayed in my imagination long after I read the book! Dynamic world-building, elegant writing, and action to leave you breathless. THE LOTUS EFFECT has it all!
Amy Wv
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this Book!!! For starters, the cover is totally awesome! At first , I wasn't sure but a chapter or so in I was pulled into the story!! If you like books like The Hunger Games or the Divergent series this book is for you! I was sad to see it end! Am looking forward to the second one. This is an author I am glad I found out about!!!
Lauren
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was given a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Bridget Ladd's writing is absolutely amazing. Her world-building is superb to the point that when I went to bed last night I dreamed of City Prosper and all of the amazing characters that reside there. I could not see anything, or hear anything, going on around me while reading this book. It was as though the words literally turned to pictures. I wasn't seeing the black and white of the pages, but amazing colors and
Katherine

This book has surpassed all of my expectations and I loved each and every page and minute I read this fabulous book. People have compared this book to the Hunger Games....THIS BOOK IS SO MUCH BETTER! This book has become one of my favorite seriesThe world building is amazing and it seemed so real especially the characters. I love Lily and Xander! The other side characters are amazing too and it was grea
Ash Rowe
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dystopian, Steampunk, dash of Fantasy all WONDERFUL I was given this book for an honest review.
Honestly, I’d give this a 4.5 I was seriously close to LOVING this book. But, I just really, really liked it. The only reason it is not a 5 is because it started off slow and it seemed like it was going to be some kind of Hunger Games follower. BUT!! BAM! easily became a book I hated putting down.
Brittney
*I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*

When I first saw this book, read the synopsis and a couple of the reviews I was kind of hesitant to actually pick up the book and start reading it, due to the fact that many people were comparing it to The Hunger Games. But I am very happy that I gave this book a chance, while I can see some similarities between the two books The Lotus Effect is a book that is unique in its own right.

The story is focused around Lil
Kristin Howell
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Received free from Goodreads First Reads.

I absolutely loved this book. The story line was amazing and the characters were so interesting. I only gave it 4 out of 5 because there were some spelling and grammar errors that bothered me. The story itself was 5 out of 5 to me, though, and the writing was good overall.

My first reaction when I was reading was to compare the book to The Hunger Games, but it's really not. There are similarities, but there are a lot of aspects that make this book unique.
Charity Sheppard
Oct 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Lotus Effect by Bridget Ladd is a really great and fast-paced read. Her ideas are very inventive, and the characters, their skills and situations are very unique to the genre. This genre is filled with stories that are very similar, and it can seem that you are reading the same story, just by different authors. That is NOT true with Ms. Ladd's work. I found the entire work very original and interesting. The story holds your attention, and the book is definately a page turner. I would recomme ...more
Alexis *Reality Bites*
Any YA-Steampunk lovers out there??
FREE TODAY 9-19-13 on Amazon!
U.S. LINK:
-->http://amzn.com/B00E1SVFJC
U.K. LINK: -->http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00E1SVFJC
CDN: LINK: -->http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00E1SVFJC
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It kept my attention despite many distractions. It combined all of my favorite genres into one plausible story line. I only picked it up because of the price and hearing about it on Goodreads, but now I have another series to look forward to reading.
Hannah Schindler
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was Amazing. I love the characters, Lily and Xander are great!!!! The action was great and there are soo many surprises. It was left with a cliffhanger and I can't wait to find out what happens next. I can't wait until the next book!!
Rahsheeda Bell
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait to read the next book!
Lani Lenore
Feb 16, 2014 rated it liked it
This review was a difficult one for me to write, and I’ll share the ‘why’ with you shortly, but first I have to explain a few things.

I found out about this book because I’m connected to the author, Bridget Ladd, through Facebook. Being an author myself, I decided I would support her by reading her book. That led me to unquestioningly begin this book without even knowing the plot line (easy to do when downloading ebooks), which then led me to flirt with the reading for a bit without being serious
Gabs {My Full Bookshelf Reviews}
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

There is no doubt in my mind that The Lotus Effect has a lot of potential. However, I never got into this one, no matter how hard I tried.

This book is a little bit similar to Hunger Games, not going to lie. However, it never once crossed over the rip-off line. (Cough cough likeArena One cough cough) The author added dozens of unique aspects to the book so that it never seemed very similar. The majority of any similarities were
Morv
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopia, steampunk, ya
The Lotus Effect is an enjoyable read, although I did find that it kind of dragged a bit in the beginning.
Lily is a girl who is to the next Mistress of Science in the city of Prosper; she is also a girl who appears to suffer from some kind of illness - this was never fully explained at the start as to what was wrong with her. She admires her Grandmother, who vanished one night when she was a little girl.
Xandert is a mysterious man, who appears and ends up helping Lily when she puts herself into
Ash Rowe
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was given this book for an honest review.

You get a great dystopian with a kick ass steampunk thrown in and a splash of fantasy. Ladd painted the world beautifully. Everything from the buildings to the
Volgore
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I could definitely see this as a movie. I wandered a bit out of my normal genres for this book, but I was greatly rewarded for doing so. The world building and character development pulled me in and then the fluid and immersive action sequences kept me turning pages at a frantic pace. I could not put this book down and cannot wait for the next one!

I would recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of compelling adventure stories with action and romance.
Wayne Stirling
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never read a steampunk book before but I found this book really thrilling. A little hard to get into but soon the book had me enthralled and found it hard to put down. Bridget Ladd has a wonderful imagination and very descriptive thought. I found myself being right there with the charactors, visualizing the events. Loved the twist at the end leaving a wonderful cliff hanger. Cant wait to read book 2 of this series.
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was definitely a struggle for me. I gave it 2 stars because I more think this just wasn't my cup of tea as opposed to not being good at all.

I didn't particularly like Lily, I don't mind impulsiveness but she didn't show a lot of brains with her decision making. I couldn't picture the world, I didn't really feel the connection between Lily and Xander....I just couldn't get into it.
Chantelle
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really liked this story, it is really one of the better I have read in this genre. However, I don't know if it was my kindle version or if it is written that way but I kept coming across words used incorrectly with in the text... a bit sad as I enjoyed the story so much and can't wait for the next one.
Jill
Sep 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook, i-own, fantasy

Some beautiful writing here--I love the action sequences and imagination. I kept getting caught on misused words, however. Badly needs a copy edit.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Keeper (Mindjack Origins #4)
  • The Forgotten (The Lux Guardians, #1)
  • Lastland (The War of Princes, #4)
  • Starbound
  • Ember (Faylinn, #2)
  • Quake (Quake #1)
  • Darkest Worlds: A Dystopian Anthology
  • Contagion (Toxic City, #3)
  • The Keeper: A Brilliant Darkness Story (Brilliant Darkness, #1.5)
  • Weighted (The Neumarian Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Tick Tock: Seven Tales of Time
  • The Sentinel (The Sentinel #1)
  • Pyramid of the Moon (Sun and Moon, #1)
  • The Bold Investor
  • Lila Shortcuts (Lila, #0.5-0.7)
  • The Tempting Touch Of Fire (Elemental Awakening, #1)
  • The Book of Transformations
  • The Dwellers Saga Boxed Set
Bridget Ladd never quite grew up. She's most likely to be caught carrying a pocketful of souvenir rocks and shells (to the washer's dismay) and gets excited over trivial things like colorful ponies and raiding tombs alongside her longtime favorite video game pal, Lara Croft. The smell of freshly turned dirt and the sea air are her favorites, and she isn't above doing twirling spins barefoot in the ...more

Rise of the Ardent (2 books)
  • Ardent Ascension (Rise Of The Ardent, #2)
“The Lotus grows in the most inhabitable of environments, and yet its beauty and purity persevere. A reminder that not all have to conform . . . or settle for what is.” —Theodore Teizel” 2 likes
“If there was to be no one to shine the light for them during these dark times, then I would fight my way to that remaining ember, crawl on bloodied knees with enemies lurking close behind to shelter that last flicker of dying hope. If I didn’t champion myself for the people then who would?” 1 likes