Start by marking “Finding Home” as Want to Read:

Finding Home

Moody, atmospheric, and just a little bit punk, Finding Home takes contemporary YA to a new level of grit...

Published October 1st 2013 by Escape Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Finding Home, please sign up.

Start your review of Finding Home
Vanya D.
NOTE: I received an eARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

It's tough reviewing one of those novels, the ones that barely keep your interest, isn't it? Well, that's exactly what I'm going through right now, as I'm trying to figure out what to write that would justify the existence of Finding Home.

Harsh. I know. But in my opinion, it's the truth.

I had a hard time going forward with this one. Why? It was unrealistic, to say the least. It was a compilation of oxymorons that just didn't
Suzanne Rooyen
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing

*Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for letting me read the ARC.

I read this book in a handful of hours and loved it despite contemporary romance not being my usual cup of tea.

Books dealing with music are an instant draw for me, but they also raise my expectations. A pet peeve of mine is reading books about music and finding them riddled with theoretical errors, proof that the author doesn't really know much about music. Finding Home is absolutely musical-error free and that
Lynxie
This book follows a very common formula. New girl in town falls for hot 'jock', ignores other love interest, does stupid stuff, drama, sex, hurt, betrayal, finally realises that she was stupid, happy ending.

If you have read one New/Young Adult school-aged story, you've read them all. And I say New/Young because while this book has been tagged as YA, I think a lot of the themes are a little older, especially since the protagonist it on the verge of being 18. Young adult tends to have slightly
Sabrina
Sep 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Ele
Shelves: standalone, arcs
Before reading
Just got this from Netgalley, and I'm so happy!
Aren't you excited when you get to read something written by a debut author? Well, I am! And I'm madly curious about this one.

After reading
There are YA books that are actually written with young adults in mind, and this is one of those. That's not to say that it lacks depth or is not "mature" enough, but that it clearly has an educational mission, and some messages to deliver.

Amy, the MC, is a teenager troubled by what she perceives as
Dianne
Dec 08, 2013 rated it liked it
*Also posted at Oops! I Read A Book Again*

Thank you to Milly of Home of a Book Lover, Escape Publishing and NetGalley for the review copy. This in no way affected my views of the novel. There will be minor spoilers as it wouldn't be much of a review if I can't discuss the themes in this book.

So, I will admit this: I love to drink. Yes, drink as in drink alcohol. I don't think I'm an alcoholic because I don't rely on alcohol. I'm a social drinker. A heavy social drinker at that. I'm known to have
Alexia Purdy
Stacey
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Finding Home is a beautiful story of surviving loss, family relationships and first love. Amy is a real teen facing real teen issues; struggling to ‘find her home’. Her journey is one any teen or ex-teen can really relate to. To deal with her mother’s death and her father’s distractions, she finds solace in the bottle. That is until her rock star Dad decides it’s a problem and ships her off to live with her Aunt.

Amy is one of those characters who really jump off the page. McKellar weaves the
Andrea
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
This isn't a horrible book. The language is good and the writing and insight are great. However, Amy was just too dumb for me. I stopped actually reading a little after the halfway mark because of her dumbness. I can't think of another word to describe it but she was far too gullible and trusting, especially for someone who has never been in a high school before. I skimmed through the rest of the book to the end and while she learned some important things, I just could not handle her reactions. ...more
Cassandra Page
I devoured this in a day. I don't usually read contemporary but Finding Home sucked me in. Amy's experiences with teenage parties and high school life were so authentic, despite her pop star father. She sometimes acts like a brat, but although I wanted to shake her at times, I never felt her actions were unrealistic. And after she hits rock bottom she comes out the other side, a better person who has learned from her experience and does the right thing.

Love it!
Ella Preuss
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
I'm gonna have to call this one a DNF for me. I couldn't, just couldn't, feel anything for the MC. And whenever I thought she'd make a smarter choice, she went and did the opposite.

Too bad, I wanted to like this one!
Abbie
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Luke was an obvious asshole. This just wasn't for me.
Sammi
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
I couldn't stand the main character. She's so self-involved until the very end of the book where she 'supposedly' snaps out of it and she suddenly knows better...? get real.
Eugenia (Genie In A Book)
I walked out of the exit and started off down the street towards Lou's house. Home. It really was my home now.

Finding Home is a novel about self-discovery, coming to terms with difficult events from the past and after making mistakes, learning how to set things right and change for the better. I found the book to be quite good in terms of illustrating how teenagers who may seem to have 'gone off the rails' do have the ability to get back on track and it was good to see that Amy did indeed
Nina
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received an e-copy of this from Harlequin Enterprises Australia: Escape Publishing through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This however did not influence my opinion of the book or of the author in any way.

Music plus drunkard female character? Sounds fun. I said before in my review for The Spectacular Now that I couldn't get Sutter's drinking habits. But it's different with Amy. I kinda get it because she was problematic. More of a negative thinker actually. She seemed to weigh
Lauredhel
I always love reading a new Aussie YA debut! Finding Home is a straightforward little tale, barely longer than a novella - not that there's anything wrong with that. If that's how long your story takes to tell, tell it that way. I love me some shortish fiction.

Amy is the daughter of a famous musician and a dead mother. Homeschooled on the road in her Dad's tour bus for the past three years, 17-year-old Amy has her world rocked: her father sends her away to her aunt's house and to a small-town
Rebecca (Unbound Pages)
This review also on The Library Canary

3.5 Stars

This is the first contemporary I’ve read in a long time. Like months. I generally shy away from contemporary, but there’s been a lot of buzz in the blogosphere on the genre so I thought I would give it a whirl. This one sounded like it wouldn’t have too much fluff and when I got approved for it on NetGalley, I decided to give it a go.

Surprisingly, I really enjoyed it. There wasn’t a lot of fluff and the experiences were real and gritty. The main
GEORGIE
Nov 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Find more reviews on What She Reads

This was a YA meets NA, Amy Detrinella a seventeen year old girl has only lost her mum four months ago, since being on the road with her famous dad, Stevie D, Amy has not known the values of a normal life. After her mum's death she throws all her anger and despair into blaming her father and drinking, with Amy being too much for Stevie D to control he makes an important decision to send Amy to live with her aunt so she can finally live with some normalcy.

~

I was
Francine Soleil
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Originally posted here: http://alwayslostinbooks.wordpress.co...

Finding Home got me hooked even though I hated Amy for more or less 90% of the book. I think I’m quite familiar enough with self-destructive and selfish teens that I kind of understand where Amy is coming from. Although I do think that she was being really awful. In fact, she was acting downright stupid. And I hated her for that, but I couldn’t really hate all of her. I wanted to know that she would be okay so I kept on reading.

Most
Hazel (Stay Bookish)
Sep 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Originally posted at Stay Bookish

Being on the road with a rockstar dad is hard. But having him send you away is even harder. Amy surely wasn’t a fan of her dad’s decision to let her stay at her aunt’s. Branded as the ‘new girl’ at her new school, she meets some friends- friends who know how to party. Parties are fun but they also get out of control. A book about bad influences, bad decisions and bad experiences, Finding Home is the epitome of what a mess a teenager’s life can be.

ari

I was stoked to find out I was approved of Finding Home on NetGalley! This novel -- has that Teen-movie -- sort of quality, centering on seventeen-year-old Amy and the loss of her mother. How her relationship with her singer father is starting to teeter. Living life carelessly, Amy is shipped off to her Aunt Lou’s, where she meets a gorgeous looking Luke. But matters are not as simple as they seem, because Luke has a girlfriend. And then there is Nick, they have
Shayna Varadeaux
My Review:

Amy is a very hurt girl, feeling like her dad doesn't want her on top of the fresh loss of her mum. An aunt who only wants to be there for her but no clue on how to get it done.

The assortment of fellas in the small town setting isn't shabby but she crushes on the first one who throws her a bone. She gets a quick circle of true friends but is set on her path.

Amy makes rash decisions trying desperately to fill a void that nothing can. Things go from good to great, to falling apart and
Amanda
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.
Find the full review on i solemnly swear

For those of you who know my reading tastes, you know I have a very hard time getting into contemporary reads. I can dig romance (because I'm a sap), but regular old contemporary novels are usually not for me - with the exception of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series, which I'm enjoying very much. I didn't think I would like this one very much, but I was interested in the description and was able to get a review copy through Netgalley,
Wattle
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars out of 5.

Disclaimer: I received this book for free from Escape Publishing in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

My blog is one stop on Lauren K. McKellar's book tour for her debut novel, Finding Home.

I read Finding Home over a 6 hour period with a couple of breaks for food. The opening few paragraphs were great and they really got me hooked early. And then as it turned out, I just could not stop reading!

Amy is a 17
Kasey
Sep 07, 2013 rated it liked it
*I received this book in exchange for an honest review*
Finding Home was a good, decent read. I felt like this book was really aimed at the teenage market. It had lessons that it wanted young teens and adults to take away. I did like it’s message, that it’s okay to have fun but do so responsibly.

Amy lives in such a world of anger that it didn’t take me by surprise for her dad to ship her off to her Aunt Lou’s. I couldn’t imagine having to deal with someone as wild and angry as Amy. I would love
Marie  Grey
Finding Home tackles some really tough subjects such as alcohol abuse and sexual assault. This book was okay but I really had a problem with the main character.

Let’s discuss.

Amy, the main character, annoyed me. She’s very naive, selfish, self-destructive and she doesn’t listen. First of all, I have no problem with characters who drinks but this girl, she knows no boundaries. I get it that she’s grieving a lot for her mother and also for her father, for abandoning her for the sake of his career
Paris Carter
Sep 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
After her mother dies, Amy is sent to live with her father on his tour bus as he travels the country as a rock star. But when her average daily drink turns into an habit, her father forces her off his tour and makes her live with her aunt Lou.

Finding Home by Lauren K. McKellar is an outstanding story focusing on Amy who is struggling with her mother’s death and constantly drinks alcohol to make herself feel better. This stuns her relationship with her father, a popular rock idol, and he sends
Skye Burling-Briggs
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-beta-arc-rrc

***ARC received by NetGallery in exchange for an honest review***

When Amy’s mum dies, the last thing she expects is to be kicked off her dad’s music tour all the way to her Aunt Lou in a depressing hole of a seaside town. But it’s okay — Amy learned how to cope with the best, and soon finds a hard-drinking, party-loving crowd to help ease the pain.

The only solace is her music class, but even there she can’t seem to keep it together, sabotaging her grade and her one chance at a meaningful
julieta
I'm gonna try reviw it properly this time.
So we got this girl whose dad is famous, her mother is dead and moves with her aunt, with whom she barely talks to through the book, goes to a new school and falls for the first guy she sees and who is indeed a dick but she doesn't realise and then, well everything goes wrong.

So it started fine and then she met Luke and I was like "UGH NO" because: 1) He's a soccer player, I hate them (on fiction obviously, At my school there isn't even a soccer team,
Fiction_TheNewReality
Dec 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, arcs
Review: So I started off this book with high hopes. I love contemporaries, and Finding Home sounded like a really good book. But I ended up kind of disappointed. I think my main problem with this book was that there were too many "blurred lines." The people in this novel didn't seem to know the difference between two contrasting points, and that really bothered me.

Characters: Alas, I did not like the characters. Our main character Amy, I found her really shallow and vain. She seemed really
Lola
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I got a copy in exchange for an honest review

I read Finding Home in one sitting, which is realy uncommon these days. I really enjoyed Finding Home, it is the story of s truggling teenager looking for a place to belong and having someone care about her and she makes quite her share of really stupid chooses on the way, but at the end she grows stronger.

Finding Home had that keep-reading-feel, the beginning felt a bit slow, but after that it really picked up pace. There where some flashbacks, but
« previous 1 3 next »
Aussie Readers: Giveaway: eBook YA Bundle (INT ends 19th Nov) 11 19 Nov 20, 2013 12:06AM

• Thoughtless (Thoughtless, #1)
  • The Edge of Always (The Edge of Never, #2)
  • Effortless (Thoughtless, #2)
  • Thoughtful (Thoughtless, #1.5)
  • Reckless (Thoughtless, #3)
  • No Judgments (Little Bridge Island, #1)
  • Dreamland
  • Fade (Wake, #2)
  • The Stash Plan: 21 Days to a Stronger, Healthier, Fat-Burning New You
  • Kissed by an Angel/The Power of Love/Soulmates (Kissed by an Angel, #1-3)
  • Tenth Grade Bleeds (The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, #3)
  • The Moon and More
  • Evercrossed (Kissed by an Angel, #4)
  • Everlasting (Kissed by an Angel, #5)
  • Princess Academy (Princess Academy, #1)
  • Keeping the Moon
  • Gone (Wake, #3)
  • Ninth Grade Slays (The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, #2)
Lauren K. McKellar is a writer of contemporary romance reads that make you feel. This hybrid-published USA Today best-selling author loves writing books with stunning local settings, heart-throb heroes, and leading ladies who overcome great hardships in their lives.
In addition to writing, Lauren loves to read, and you can often find her up at all hours of the night with a glass of wine, some