Start by marking “Mom Made Us Write This In The Summer” as Want to Read:

Mom Made Us Write This In The Summer

This is exactly what happens to 10-year-old twins Maggie and Max Pruitt. When Mom comes up with a plan for them to keep a summer journal, Maggie and Max can’t believe it. Worse yet, they have to share!

Through their writing, Maggie and Max find out they have very different (and hilarious) views
Published October 3rd 2013 by Erie Island Media, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Mom Made Us Write This In The Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mom Made Us Write This In The Summer

Elizabeth Tyree
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
very cute read! I love how this is put together
Vonnie
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
How do kids want to spend their summer vacation? Not doing homework, that's for sure. This story was told through journal entries between a brother and sister, Max and Maggie. They were forced to write during the summer by their mother to make them get along. This book was absolutely cute and entertaining, and I found myself having a lot of fun with it.

What I loved best about this book was the creativity of the journals. Max and Maggie each had their own writing style. It made it easier to recog
Melanie
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Maggie and Max are twins and their mother has given them a journal to write in over the summer. She gives them some basic rules and some ideas about what to write on. They each get to choose topics and both of them have to write something about each one. They can comment on the other person's entries, but must be polite.

There are twelve different topics and it was fun to read what they wrote. My daughter read this the first day it came and loved it! It took me a while to get to it and when I did
Nurulhazira
Nov 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mom Made Us Write This In The Summer is a wonderful journal style book that focuses on a brother and a sister who happened to be twins. The story started off with them having to write twelve entries in a journal throughout the summer as a form of punishment for not behaving well.

Neither one of them are excited about this assignment at first. Initially, they argued a lot, with a lot of blame being tossed about. As the story progresses, I begin to see how the twins come to understand and apprecia
Paige
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Check out my review here: http://thepaigeturnerblog.wordpress.c...
Bonnie Ferrante
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ten-year-old twins, Maggie and Max, are enjoying their summer holidays until they get into one too many noisy arguments. Mom, who works at home, has had enough. In order to encourage understanding and respect towards each other, she tells them they must keep a joint journal of twelve entries. Each child must initiate six topics and the other must respond in the journal. Pictures are allowed (and are hilarious).

Maier has tremendous insight into the 10-year-old mind, both male and female. Each chi
Diane Coto
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever seen pictures on Pinterest or Facebook with two kids held together by a large t-shirt and on the front it is written “This is our get along shirt.” Well, I have no idea if that works or not. What this Mom did seems a little more creative and effective. When ten year old twins, Max and Maggie, completed fourth grade and were settled in for the summer, they began to squabble. So, Mom bought a journal. Maggie actually likes stuff like that so she thought Mom bought the journal for her ...more
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
Mom Made Us Write This in the Summer is a fun journal style book that focuses on a brother and sister who happened to be twins. When Maggie and Max keep fighting their mother decides to give them summer homework in the form of a journal. They have to pick 10 topics and then they both have to write how they feel about that topic, and through the course of the summer they learn how to appreciate each other.

I love journal books like this, probably because I never wrote in a journal as a kid. It’s a
Samantha
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a really fun book, I would say for children ages 8-12 especially for those who have siblings. This story is about Max and Maggie, 10 year old twins, who have just broken up for the summer holidays and mum has bought them a journal to write in and make sure they get along. They are required to share the journal and write in about their summer holiday, so this is written in journal format.

I really loved the format of the book and it really made it fun and interesting to read, the font ins
Storywraps
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Max and Maggie, ten year old twins, find out to their surprise that they are required to write a summer journal on their time off.... and together! What? You've got to be kidding!

Mom has laid out an extensive plan to have both the kids record 12 entries in that journal by summer's end. At first there is resistance but as the journey of the journal unfolds and the twins navigate the daily trials of their childhood and their differences of opinions on almost everything, they begin to see the valu
Stephanie Cover2CoverBlog
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
I love when books for middle grade readers are funny but also teach kids and this was one of those books. A brother and sister have to work together to finish journal entries over the summer in an attempt to get along as well as write during their summer break - both wonderful things.

I really enjoyed this book, the idea is wonderful - no planned prompts, just a journal - express yourself but do it with your sibling. It was funny and great. I loved the interaction between the siblings and the do
Vanessa
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
*I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.*

Mom Made Us Write This In The Summer is a book for children 8-12, but I'm definitely older than 12 and I still enjoyed it! This was such a fun book to read and was surprisingly relate - able. It is written in journal entries by twins Max and Maggie. They share the journal and write about their summer vacation and include little drawings and comments which makes it very realistic.

I have two younger brothers myself and I remember
Michelle Cornwell-Jordan
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So fun! I enjoyed this charming read about 10 year old twins Max and Maggie who were instructed by their mother to write 12 journal entries over the summer. The two siblings often quarreled, so their mother's hope that their writings would bring a better understanding between the two became the goal.

The fresh and unique journal style entries made for a fast paced trip through the thoughts, dreams and plans of the twins. Their varying personalities became apparent through their choice of topics a
Lindsey Lewis
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
I received a free digital ARC from NetGalley. Some images in my copy were too dark to see.

When Maggie and Max keep fighting over summer break, their mom gives them an assignment - to write 12 entries in a journal, together. As they navigate the daily trials of childhood and sibling rivalry, the twins gain a better understanding and appreciation of themselves and one another.

This book is very good reading for young siblings around upper elementary or lower middle school. The characters have very
Danielle
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great read for both kids and parents! This book teaches kids about sibling dynamics, encourages journaling and is extremely relatable for young audiences. What more could you want in a children’s book? The female character, Maggie, is a spunky young girl, the perfect model for young readers who are growing into strong girls. Max, on the other hand, relates to the sense of humor of young boys. There is something for every audience here; Ali Maier even shows Max and Maggie fighting and making up, ...more
Celeste
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Have kids that love to read?
Check out Mom Made Us Write This In The Summer - the new children’s journal book from author Ali Maier.

The first, in an upcoming series of adventures in twin-life journaling books, Mom Made Us Write This In The Summer gives readers a he-said, she-said view into the hilarious and adventure filled family life of 10 year old twins.

Synopsis:
A sister and brother, forced to write in the summer, and share ONE journal? Ugh. This is exactly what happens to 10-year-old twins
Jaime
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Maier's book will inspire kids and parents to exercise their creativity with ease after reading this completely enjoyable story. The children will laugh out loud as they are granted a ringside seat during Maggie and Max's summer, and it may even encourage them to begin a journal of their own. It's written in the twins' point of view which is easy to follow, and the fantastic illustrations match up perfectly. There are bonus pages at the end of the book to help you begin your own journal, and it' ...more
MaryAnn Dennis
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I had fun reading this book, I think kids would REALLY enjoy this one. It is journal entries written by ten year old twins, they have fun sharing their opinions and teasing each other. It is cute and clever the way it was done. I did have a hard time believing that it could be written by ten year olds though. I have a nine year old and an eleven year old and it just doesn't fit. Their sense of humors are too mature, and their ability to express themselves with clear, coherent, and entertaining i ...more
ProfCurrier
Morgan Bachus

I think this was a really cool book for students in grades starting in about third grade. The way that the characters talk back and forth to each other like they're writing in a journal is cool. I think it would be a good idea if students were able to start writing their own journal after reading this book. If they do not write a full journal, they could definitely answer some questions about the book, the character interactions and the whole theme of the book. Also, in the back th
A Leisure Moment
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
description

This journal style type of book took me back to my classroom days. The days that I would have my students get out their journals and write. Write about life. Write about a topic of choice. Write to a prompt I gave them. Just about anything to get them writing and writing.

To read the rest of the review, simply follow the link: http://www.aleisuremoment.com/2014/12...
Rachel Horon
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When book characters engage the reader, it is great. In "Mom Made US Write This in the Summer", you not only get to peek into a 10-year old's journal, but you also get to read the thoughts and feedback from their twin. This way you already know the other's response to a statement that is awaiting a sibling-sized rebuttal. Max and Maggie may not have liked their "assignment", but they took it well and it turned into a fun read. We loved the notes in the margins and the doodles. I liked the ideas ...more
Michelle Kidwell
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ali Maier
Erie Island Media
Copyright 2013

This is a wonderful book for upper Elementary School aged Children.  Its written in theform of a journal told by Sister and brother Maggie and Max.  The journals are assigned by their Mom over the summer.  Neither one of them are  to thrilled about this assignment at first.

Children will enjoy getting a glimpse into Maggie and Max'es Summer it is written in both a fun and humorous way that both boys and girls will love.

I
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
I really enjoyed this book. There was something for everyone. I loved the main characters, Max and Maggie, they are both so much fun to read. Maggie is spunky and Max is quite the character. It was a blast getting to know of them through the journal that they shared. It is a look into the lives of kids and a look inside a family, with the fights, sibling rivalry and the love and friendships that makes families GREAT.

For fans of DIARY OF A WIMPY KID and DORK DIARIES will eat this book up!

5 stars!
Madeleine  Grace
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Nice to find a book that my kids thought was funny that showed a loving, but imperfect family. The characters, Magie and Max, reminded me of my sister and I as children-but funnier. My children related to the twins antics as well.
L. L.
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A great read. I really enjoyed the characters ,It feels like you are right there next to them.
Loved every minute every word and every literary device used in this book.
This is a work of fiction and it's fantastic.
Quick easy read, Recommended for any kid with a brother or a sister
Kylie Kaemke
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-published
This book is super fricken cute and I would give it to any one of my nieces or nephews (well... Besides the baby :p)

It's a great read and it promotes a healthy sibling relationship. I honestly think this is something that parents should actually do!
Sherry