Start by marking “The Wizard and the Rat (The Voice of the Dragons)” as Want to Read:
The Wizard and the Rat (The Voice of the Dragons)

The Wizard and the Rat (The Voice of the Dragons)

Wizard Master Thed Hyral Clearwater has been rendered temporarily powerless by the very tools he needs to complete his assigned task: to defeat a powerful ex-protege who is practicing the forbidden craft of necromancy.

He travels to the ironically named city of Haven, where a broad class divide, corruption,and systemic violence leave the underclass fighting for scraps - and
Published August 19th 2013 by Aaron C. Engler

Brooke Johnson
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Wizard and the Rat follows two distinct characters, Rat and Hyral, and their journeys to overcome their pasts.

Hyral is an enthusiastic wizard plagued with failed pupils. He follows the path of Chaos—which is described beautifully in the book, as is all the magic—but his students continue to fall prey to its power. In the beginning of the book, he’s forced on a journey to set things right by his superiors, set on a path to face his latest failure before he can cause any more harm. I love the
Michael
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm going with 4.5 Stars. I really enjoyed this book (especially the last 75%). The first half seemed a little tedious? That's not the right word but I just wanted the story to start to move at a faster pace. I sensed where the author was going and I wanted to get there. As I got towards the last third of the book I realized it had been necessary so if you start and feel the same way it's worth it to stay on the journey.

I think (and hope) this is the beginning of what could be a really great ser
Naomi Parrish
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is wonderful. The world setting is both robust and believable. The characters are multidimensional and realistic. The story pulled me in from the beginning and kept me wanting more past the end. I thoroughly enjoyed not running into the same old tropes I've seen in a lot novels lately. Not only do I highly recommend it, I'm also now anxiously awaiting the sequel.
Beth
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Wizard and the Rat is one of my favorite books this year. Engler does an excellent job of revealing a complex world and compelling characters in a way that is easy to follow. Although Hyral and the Rat come from vastly different backgrounds, it is their similarites that slowly bring them to realize they can work together to tackle the injustices that plague their world.

Rat is the ultimate underdog, a young man who has been disowned by his family and must struggle to survive in a brutal worl
Ap0578
Sep 27, 2016 rated it liked it
As a fan of Victorian and neo-Victorian settings which depict oppressive urban squalor, I liked this book. That is to say... I wanted to like this book. I liked some of the characters and I liked some of the scenes, and I was impressed by the quality of the writing in places, but too often I felt like I was being led away from the story's strongest points in favor of fleeting distractions.

An example of this would be the telling of the story's two titular characters, the Wizard and the Rat. Eithe
Tahlia Newland
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Scrounging around for scraps, ready to steal, cut purse strings, and run at any moment, Rat embodies the dog-eat-dog atmosphere clogging the streets of Haven, a city so stratified you have to buy your way into the upper echelons. And while Rat might've been somewhere relatively close to those environs, it's been a long time. He's fallen from on high, lived in the Low, traveled to Ruin, and now has a place among a crew. He's a kid without history, without a name, and without any options.

Enter Hyr
Ambre
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gay-fiction
Unluckily, this book caught me coming off of a really good fantasy series, and so I had been thinking "what makes good fantasy?" Besides writing skill, I realized that insight is something most fantasy readers look for. This book starts off with some, but stumbles in the execution.

So let's get the basics. Rat is a 15 year old who spent most of his life working class, and then some years on the streets as part of a street gang.

The wizard is 250+ years old and has all kinds of ideas about how he s
Awesome Indies Reviewers
May 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The wizard and the rat is about two unlikely travelling companions who come from totally opposite backgrounds. Rat is a street kid from the slums and Hyral is a privileged wizard unused to the world beyond his schools gates. It's a journey of self discovery for both of them, we get to know their backstories and see them change into better people as the story progresses. The world has a rich mythology and you get a real and gritty picture of a land that has been riven by war, slavery and the misu ...more
Dr. Pete Meyers
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I don't make a lot of time for fantasy these days, because, quite honestly, too much of the genre either has no depth at all or goes the opposite extreme and tries to be high concept (and fails). Engler struck a rare balance between creating a complex, immersive world while still putting the story within easy reach. I was drawn in quickly, but then was pleasantly surprised to find that both main characters had real depth and were part of a fascinating world that I'd love to learn more about. I e ...more
Carrie Mansfield
A self-published title that unfortunately displays many of the negative characteristics that people associate with self-published pieces. There may be some decent ideas here, but this ultimately feels more like a rough draft than a finished piece.

Just a warning for those who stumble upon the book: the character of Cat does use sex as a punishment. It is off page, but those who are sensitive might want to give this a pass.
Daniel Swensen
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Wizard and the Rat is a great read. It's gritty without being grimdark, features an openly gay protagonist who is in no way a "chosen one," and brings up hard questions about what life in a fantasy universe would be like, without relying on tired tropes or easy squalor. In short, it is the kind of fantasy I'm always saying I wished more people would write. I look forward to more work from this author.
Mac Mathis
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book from a new author

I really enjoyed this book. Good world building, interesting characters. An unusual blend of science fiction and fantasy (wizards with magic staffs and aliens with flying vehicles). Supposed to be the first of 5 books in a series. I hope the author continues the series as I very much want to see what comes next!
Coty
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting story. It was a little slow getting started (due to repeated flash backs on the MC's history..). I like all the characters and the world building is fantastic. This really needs a book 2 to complete the story. It has been 3 years and stil no book 2. I am thinking the author has abandoned the series. :(
fantasybookworm