Start by marking “The New Girl (Downside, #3)” as Want to Read:
The New Girl (Downside, #3)

The New Girl

(Downside #3)

There's something strange about the new girl.

Ryan Devlin, a predator with a past, has been forced to take a job as a handyman at an exclusive private school, Crossley College. He's losing his battle to suppress his growing fascination with a new girl who seems to have a strange effect on the children around her.

Tara Marais fills her empty days by volunteering at Crossley's
Published October 3rd 2013 by Corvus

To ask other readers questions about The New Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Girl

Katie Gallagher
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You can read this review and others on my blog!

The New Girl is the third and final installment in the Downside series by South African duo Sarah Lotz and Louis Greenberg, who write under the pseudonym S.L. Grey. Yet despite the fact that this is a series, these books read basically as standalones, with the (excellent omg I’m so sad it’s all over) worldbuilding being the real tie between them all.

Let me paint you a picture. Below our human realm on the surface of the earth is an underground hor
Colleen
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, horror
Ugh! This looks like the last book to the series. Noooooo.

I might take the unprecedented act of writing these authors and begging for more. I want hundreds of these books! If I had a vault of gold, I'd toss some of it at filmakers to put this vision to life. The marketing for these books I think must be terrible. The title of this book for starters is horrible. After The Mall and The Ward, this should rightly be The School. The cover is also atrocious (not in a good way). It is in fact almost e
S.A. Partridge
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
For those unfamiliar with the series, the Downside is a terrifying world that exists parallel to ours where slavery, body modification and human recycling is the norm. In The New Girl, agents of the Downside start recruiting new residents from a Joburg school.
Two transient staff members become fascinated with the new girl – the oddball Jane, who draws them closer and closer to the horrible truth.
This hit series is set in contemporary South Africa and speaks not only to the horrors in the Downsid
Nathan Robinson
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
The New Girl by S. L. Grey

Tara Marais fills her empty days by volunteering at Crossley's library. Tara is desperate, but unable, to have a baby of her own, so she makes Reborns - eerily lifelike newborn dolls. She's delighted when s
Wanda Hartzenberg
Apr 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
The male narrator sounds like a South African which is fine if your target market is South Africans' unfortunately I think the voice will grate on international listeners.

I first saw this book in a book store. It looked awesome. So when I found it on audible I was delighted.I immediately bought it. Then I kept it as a special treat.

I should not have bothered. With professional editing, the removal of the first person voice in 99% of the story and the fractured sentences which this author adores
Nerine Dorman
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Truth be told, I don’t find the SL Grey books all that scary. Unsettling, yes. Disturbing, definitely, but in all the right ways possible. But, they’re highly entertaining if you’re not too squeamish when it comes to dark fiction with a twist of body horror.

The Downside books are the mutated brainchild of two of SA’s established voices in horror – Sarah Lotz (author of the widely acclaimed The Three) and Louis Greenberg (who has recently seen the release of his novel Dark Windows).

What the two s
Tiah
Dec 07, 2013 added it
Favourite line:

'If the advertisements are a true reflection of society in the node, female browns always eat yogurt together.'

James McConnon
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most disturbing of their downside books I've read so far.

If you've read the Mall or the Ward, you'll be familiar with the strange underworld of body modification and twisted values these two have created. This is set in the same world, but with the downsiders coming upside. The people they fall with are relentlessly awful.

Haven't read too many books this twisted and dark, and it's all the better for. It.
Claire
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Primo! Catalogue even!

I agree with what several other reviewers have said about this one -
1. The cover is abysmal
2. It should have been called 'The School'

Aside from those little grievances, another wonderful book in the series. Sadly, I think this will be the last one. But I'm always hopeful! Give the fans what they want! Write another, please!

I loved every second.
Jevgenij
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
On one hand, it was nice to find out a bit more about downside and even see some parts through eyes of a downsider. On the other hand closer introduction to inhabitants of the other world made the horror and craziness of Downside less terrifying.
Ranjana
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
A brilliant book that keeps you guessing! Sheer horror!
Ray
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
If nothing else it was just so weird and twisted it justifies four stars from that alone. A great and timely Halloween read!
Wayne's
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was not rapped in the first book in this series but it has grown on me. I am a bit sorry to finish it now. Well worth a look, more than a little original.
Bobbi
Jun 21, 2019 rated it liked it
These books are just freaking bizarre. They arent bad, but they arent good. Yet here I am, wondering if there will be a 4th.
Indy Fernandez
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
Primo! I will have to go back and read the other books in this trilogy, did not realise this was part of a series. An ingenious, well thought out storyline which will have you riveted.
Monique Snyman
Nov 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I’ve read some pretty creepy books in my time, but The New Girl by S.L. Grey is in a whole different category when it comes to horror. Hell, it takes a very special blend of crazy to come up with such a riveting, suspenseful and exceptionally creepy plot, in my opinion, but I am definitely not complaining. The New Girl is a nail-biting book that revolves around a rather odd-looking new student that attends Crossley College. She looks like an outreach student, one that is simply there to fill the ...more
Dave Moore
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was my first foray into the Downside Series by "S. L. Grey", but it won't be my last. The novel was so different, so strangely compelling, that I literally couldn't put it down. I'm not going to inject spoilers into this review, but suffice it to say that the reader is never really certain who the protagonists are and who are supposed to be the "bad guys" here. The idea of a parallel world coexisting with ours, but with diametrically opposite values of life, beauty, and individualism is int ...more
Vrenchen
Mar 22, 2015 rated it liked it
I read the Downside-Trilogy and I prefer "The Mall" over the other two.
"The new girl" was an interesting read, too, mainly because you get an insight in the thoughts of an downsider, but there wasn't enough action for me. In "The Mall" you had the whole trip to the downside, in "The Ward" there were the attempts to flee and then the disturbing part with the two protagonists, when they resurfaced, but in "The New Girl"there was no real suspense and no real climax.
It's kind of entertaining, especi
Deborah Lane
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Karking brilliant! Primo! I really hope they're planning another downside book because i have absolutely loved all 3. I especially love the fact that even though downside is at the heart of these, they are 3 completely different stories with different characters. It keeps things very fresh and interesting. Even though i may only be a 'brown,' i am hooked, and a big, big fan.
Heather
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is by far one of the strangest books I've ever read yet I could not put it down! Even after having finished it, I still cannot say I knew entirely what was going on but in a good way, you know? I had clung to one of the main characters immediately while another I hated but was also intrigued by. If you are looking for something dark and quite different, SciFi-y, def give this one a try!
Laura Armstrong
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed the debut book in the downside trio 'The Mall' which was fresh, well written and an undoubtedly eerie read. As the series has gone on a real sense of writers fatigue has set in. I felt there was a real slip in the writing quality and that themes in these books had be 'recycled' one too many times without adding anything new/diverting to the mix. A shame.
Kittykorn
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was one freaky ass series, but it kept me coming back no matter how odd the books were which they were big time. If there is a forth to be released I will read it, if you can deal with odd then pick this series up
Paul
Oct 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Good read but nowhere near as strong as either The Mall or The Ward. I hope there is another book in the Downside series as this one still left some answers open-ended. Well written but not as shocking as the first two
C.
Dec 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, gothic
Well, that was utterly disturbing, as expected. Just as deliciously unsettling as The Mall.
Jonathan Oliver
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Terrifically weird. Quite unlike anything I've read in horror of late. Manages to be deeply unsettling without relying on gore.
Frances
Nov 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-2013
I'm still not quite sure what I think of this one, It took a little while before I understood what was going on, but I found myself intrigued throughout.
William
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Last in the series
Fewer scares but more impact
A perfect ending
Eric Bell
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
very creepy , not my normal sort of read but a good story well told
Jakob Hessius
Apr 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, 2017
I liked it even though I had a hard time getting through this last book in the trilogy. It was a bit much of the same throughout all three books. I would also have liked more of a conclusion to the story. It felt like every thing was revealed in the first book, and then there were just new stories in the same universe. It is however an interesting idéa and the parallells to todays consumer society and the way we view beauty, is more than clear.
Jessica
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it, didn't realise it was a trilogy though.

Have to pick up the others now.

• The Quickening
  • The Black Room Manuscripts: Volume One
  • Bleeker Hill
  • Year's Best Hardcore Horror, Volume 2
  • Moonstruck (High Moor, #2)
  • Amazing Disgrace (Gerald Samper #2)
  • Six Dead Spots
  • The Doomsday Chronicles (The Future Chronicles)
  • Redheads
  • Magical Mystery oder die Rückkehr des Karl Schmidt
  • Bad Blood (Tomes of The Dead #1.5)
  • Das war ich nicht
  • Mandibles
  • The Immortal Body
  • Mountain Home
  • Dreadful Tales
  • The Locker
  • The Deader The Better (Leo Waterman, #6)
S.L. Grey is a collaboration between Sarah Lotz and Louis Greenberg. Sarah is a novelist and screenwriter and die-hard zombie fanatic. She writes crime novels and thrillers under her own name, and as Lily Herne she and her daughter Savannah Lotz write the Deadlands series of zombie novels for young adults. Louis is a Johannesburg-based fiction writer and editor. He was a bookseller for several yea ...more

Downside (3 books)
  • The Mall (Downside, #1)
  • The Ward (Downside, #2)