Start by marking “Feeding the Doves: 31 Short and Very Short Stories, and Haibun” as Want to Read:
Feeding the Doves: 31 Short and Very Short Stories, and Haibun

Feeding the Doves: 31 Short and Very Short Stories, and Haibun

Greece has been in the headlines for a very long time. Recently, the headlines have been gloomy and negative, the country facing some of its most difficult years. Against this background, “Feeding the Doves” explores recurrent elements of the Greek psyche, tracing them back to challenges posed by the country’s history, culture, and environment.
The widow, the old loner, th
Published August 12th 2013 by Fruit Dove Press

To ask other readers questions about Feeding the Doves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feeding the Doves

Start your review of Feeding the Doves: 31 Short and Very Short Stories, and Haibun
Daniel (Attack of the Books!) Burton
Every once in a while, I get a book in the mail that is unique from anything else I've ever read. As a collection of short stories, Stella Pieride's Feeding the Doves has given me a new definition of what short means, not to mention how quickly a story can be told.

Few stories are longer than a page, and none are longer than five pages. Each feels like an intimate glimpse someones life, a brief moment in time. And given that each is so quick, so fast, and yet so personal, it's saying something th
Marjory McGinn
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book of short stories by Stella Pierides that mostly have as their subject Greece, touching on its culture and its upheavals, set in very different locations and timeframes. With a fascinating mix of narrators, the stories take us from the Greek civil war to a monastery on Mount Athos, and also bring us right up to date in crisis-torn Greece with one tale set in an Athens soup kitchen.

A recurrent motif in this collection of short, and very short (barely a page) stories
Angela Maher
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
A marvellous collection of short stories. Even the shortest of them paint an atmosphere, fully depict a slice of life. The book is Greek themed, but not in an over the top way, and you certainly don't need to be Greek to enjoy them, or even know much about Greece. These are well written and thought provoking.

I received this book for free through Goodreads' First Reads. This has no affected my review.
Deirdre
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
What a lovely surprise in this little book. Well written, at turns poignant, funny, sweet, and surprising, this collection of very short stories was a pleasure. As a Greek-American, I looked forward to reading this as I felt I would feel a "connection," and I did, but truly, it is for everyone.
*received from the author for free from Goodreads First Reads
MaryEllen
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads-won
Nice short read. A few of the stories I really liked. Some of them I didn't really get. Maybe it was a bit abstract for me.
Tucker
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love these Stories they are so interesting and the perfect length!
Michael
Sep 23, 2013
Haley Cobb
Sep 24, 2013
Stella Pierides
Aug 20, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Vikki Sanderson
Aug 29, 2013
url https://stellapierides.com/

Born August 21st

Recent books: "Of This World" (Red Moon Press, 2017): http://bit.ly/2jebbD7,
"The Heart and Its Reasons" (Amazon.co.uk), “Feeding the Doves” (Fruit Dove Press, 2013) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Feeding-Doves...) and “In the Garden of Absence” (Fruit Dove Press, 2012 - poetry)

Stella grew up in Athens, Greece; she now divides her time between London, UK and