Start by marking “Beatrysel” as Want to Read:
Beatrysel

Beatrysel

Unsatisfied with the ancient grimoires, the Magus made his own. Unsatisfied with the ancient demons, the Magus made Beatrysel. She was a creature of love, but there is no love without hate, no light without darkness, no loyalty without betrayal.

And demons covet flesh.

Johnny Worthen's novel BEATRYSEL is a modern Faust tale set in the American Northwest where the cold winter
Paperback, First, 385 pages
Published September 15th 2013 by Omnium Gatherum (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Beatrysel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beatrysel

Bob Milne
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
If, like me, you've ever wondered what happened to the spirit of the old Abyss Horror line from the early 80s, wonder no more. It appears as if Johnny Worthen made his own little deal with the devil, once upon a time, and invited that spirit to possess his literary soul.

There's no better way I can think of to introduce Beatrysel than with that comparison. This novel is a throwback to that brief heyday of literary horror, of books that weren't afraid to be as deep in philosophy and the frailties
Monique Snyman
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beatrysel by Johnny Worthen is a book that digs deep into your psyche, crawls even deeper into your thoughts and sends chills down your spine while the story of Julian Cormac, the powerful Magus that created Beatrysel, plays itself out. We are presented with a man, who is pretty much a shadow of his old self, riddled with psychological problems according to psychologist Doctor Stephensen and unaware of how much danger he’s in. We hear about the violent outburst that landed Julian in his current ...more
Lehua Parker
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When it comes to love there’s a fine line between passion and obsession, ardor and madness, ecstasy and terror. In Beatrysel Johnny Worthen takes all the shades and flavors of love from filial to sexual and whips them into a frenzied frappe of occult horror, thriller, and philosophical treatise on the nature of man, God, angels, and demons.

Did I mention it’s a love story?

One of the major themes of this novel is that the lover protects the beloved. Beatrysel is a demon created to be the personifi
Cricket
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beatrysel Reigns
When I first picked up this book, the cover alone drew me in. It’s downright eerie. But when I actually got into it, I found out it was more than eerie, it was terrifying. Not to mention oh so good. I found this book to be very dark and sometimes disturbing, delving into the deepest parts of the human psychosis. I also found it intriguing. As someone who has always held a fascination with the magickal arts, this book most assuredly sparked an interest. No, I am not going to summo
Angela
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
For the past two days, I’ve been haunted by a demon. She has consumed my every waking moment, either with deep thoughts or tentative looks over my shoulder to see if there was more to the shadow lurking in the hallway. Her name—Beatrysel.
Even as I cleanse my house with incense and holy water, I’m struck with the mastery in which this story was delivered. I’ve never actually read a novel where the premise was written in present tense third person before, and I must admit the style threw me at fi
Sakina Murdock
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just ... wow. What a fantastic read. Thought-provoking, and fascinating if you're interested in the workings of the occult world, Beatrysel manages to walk a balance of presenting occultism in a very positive way, against a backdrop of the kind of chaos you expect from dark magic. I think a lot of skill has gone into this novel, especially the way the pieces were married together. Maybe half of the book was written in flashback, but this has been crafted together with the present in a non-confus ...more
Rosie Amber
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was given a copy of this book in return for a review. This genre is not one that I would normally read, however it is always good to challenge oneself. It is an extremely well written horror which includes the occult, sacrifice, murder and highly sophisticated magick. There is a mystery to solve and a very complex storyline unfolds before it can be solved. This book is not for the faint hearted and wouldn't be suitable for everyone, however if you enjoy a horror story or have an interest in th ...more
Christine Haggerty
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is gripping. Worthen writes in a style that takes you in and out of his characters' mental and physical worlds seamlessly while the tension just keeps building.
Daniel Yocom
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There are horror stories that make you jump from the unexpected. There are others that make you feel the creepiness of a deranged individual or situation. There are also that come back to you to make you think about the story, looking for the little details that made the story, and you jump. Beatrysel by Johnny Worthen is one of the latter.

Beatrysel is a great combination of the classic horror thriller combined with a murder mystery being solved by the police. The descriptions were intense. Char
Fiona Titchenell
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Basics:

Dr. Julian Cormac has just been released into outpatient care after a supposed psychotic episode during the pursuit of his second doctoral thesis project. The project? To create and summon a new demon, adapting methods from ancient grimoires, a demon made of love. He’s doing his best to put his mind and his life back together with the help of his ragtag coven and his recently divorced, equally shattered sister, Molly. This would be difficult enough if it weren’t for the fact that the
Ella Medler
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I’m going to start with the last ten percent of this book. Un-believable! I could not stop reading. For a storyline centering around the occult and metaphysical experiences, that fact is spooky in itself. What sort of magic did the author put within those pages?

Beatrysel is the ultimate lover, but she is possessive and feels betrayed. She acts as any woman scorned would act, with only one thought in mind. Incredibly entertaining, and posing truck-fulls of questions, this is not a book you can re
Tommy Smith
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Some might classify it as a thriller, some as a horror story. The author himself has called Beatrysel a love story. It's unquestionably a tale with a dose of the macabre fantastical. The story's concept is one of a mystical quality.

While Julian Cormac is the story's central character, his story is largely explored from an outside angle, through the perspectives of a variety of characters: those of his companionship in the "Crabs," his sister, and his psychiatrist, all of whom have a few issues o
E.A.
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I tagged this as fantasy, but it is written as literary fiction. I wish I could write like Johnny. Not every will like this book, but I loved it.

The book is a love story, an occult Pygmalion (the idea of creating the ideal women, or demon in this case), as well as a murder mystery. Only when you have a demon who desires you, many things can and will go wrong.

As I mentioned earlier, this book may not be for everyone. Because it is a love story there is some sexuality, there is also some profani
Susan Dorsey
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Johnny Worthen’s novel, Beatrysel, is simply brilliant. Worthen combines classic horror with thrills, true mystery, and deep love. When a powerful Magus creates a spirit of ultimate love, even he cannot imagine the price that must be paid.
The book is fast-paced and relentless. A drumbeat of terror moves through the world of violence and dark magick. The first chapter pulled me in to the realms behind our world. The last chapter left me thinking about the characters for days.
The novel hits home
Erik Nelson
May 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
It's no doubt that Stephen King is an inspiration to all authors of America. And it's easy for anyone not just authors to say that he's one of their inspirations however, one author; Johnny Worthen takes his inspiration so seriously that you'd think King himself wrote "Beatrysel".
The book centers around Magus who creates "Beatrysel" after becoming so unsatisfied with the society around him which is actually filled with demons and other horrific characters. Like Mary Shelly's "Frankenstein" thing
Isaiyan Morrison
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic! The plot is fast paced and the writing is very strong. The characters are also well thought out with their own issues that flow well along with this book.

I had to stop reading, for personal reasons, but when I finally had the time to continue, I wished I didn't stop in the first place.

The author's knowledge of the occult was also a big plus. After I finished the book I felt that I knew more about it.

I really enjoyed Beatrysel. Damn you Johnny for writing a book that I c
Amy
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
It took me forever to finish this book. With so much life happening in Autumn the only time I had to physically read was at bed time. This book deserves so much more than my sleepy brain could give it. Written for adults, this book had substance I could really sink my teeth into.
So I took my time.
Only once, through the twists and turns of the story line, did I get a glimpse at how the ending would play out. I love a story that keeps me second guessing who the antagonist is and this one did it ve
Terra
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Oh how I loved this book! Finally a book about the occult that was steeped in reality with just a touch of horror rather than romance - the kind of book I longed for without realizing it. Besides being a fabulous story the structure of how the story unfolded was sheer genius and kept me on the edge of my seat and guessing until the end. Not for the light of heart but if you have the will this is a must read. Bravo, Johnny Worthen, bravo!!
MeriAnn Boxall
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In Beatrysel, you will take a journey through the occult, magic, and the world of demons. It is so full of horror that I didn't want to read it, but I couldn't put it down. I hated it, but I loved it. I didn't want to turn the page, but I had to. It is a masterful work and I truly look forward to Johnny Worthen's next book. If I dare. I think I do.
Travis Coleman
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The amount of dedication and research in this book paid off. Having travelled through the Portland area I've been to many of the places. This book came alive for me and will recommend it to anyone who enjoys horror or magik.
Annabelle
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love, lust, friendship, mystery and darkness... Beatrysel has everything I hope to find in a good book.
A chilling insight into the underworld of black magick. Really enjoyed this book! It's a must read!!
Erin
Sep 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You can read my full review of this book here: http://erinrbritt.wordpress.com/2014/...
Brenda Wright
Aug 11, 2015
Occult and magic: I invite you to my debut 1 10 Oct 29, 2013 08:49PM

• Darkbound
  • Astoria
  • Copper Reign (The Heartstone Collection Book 1)
  • Autumn in the Abyss
  • Pretty Things (Grimm Chronicles #1)
  • The Edge of Running Water
  • The Samaritan's Pistol
  • The Beast Within
  • All The Colors Of Love
  • Cold Cuts
Johnny Worthen is an award-winning, best-selling author of books and stories. A Utah Writer of the Year. Trained in modern literary criticism and cultural studies, he writes upmarket multi-genre fiction, symbolized by his love of tie-dye and good words. “I write what I like to read,” he says. “This guarantees me at least one fan.”

Johnny is best known (so far) for his award winning, nationally accl
“She was invisible. Forgettable. Forgotten.” 3 likes