Start by marking “Switchblade (Harry Bosch, #16.5; Harry Bosch Universe, #25.5)” as Want to Read:
Switchblade (Harry Bosch, #16.5; Harry Bosch Universe, #25.5)

Switchblade

(Harry Bosch Universe #25.5)

LAPD Detective Harry Bosch seeks justice for the forgotten in this original short story from #1 New York Times bestselling author Michael Connelly

An anonymous tip puts Bosch on a case that has remained unsolved for decades, the vicious stabbing of a teenage boy whose body was found in an abandoned Old Hollywood restaurant.

Cold cases are often the toughest: With no body, n
Published January 14th 2014 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about Switchblade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Switchblade

Anastasia
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Switchblade by Michael Connelly is a short Harry Bosch cold case investigation. Harry is assigned a cold case after a tip is called in. Interesting but solved very quickly. All over before it barely begun.
Fred
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
A short story, not much detail.

Plot - Harry Bosch solves a 20+ yr old case of a “Switchblade” used in murder of 2 homosexuals. It’s DNA matches 2 of 3 characters. As expected, a character appears knowing everything....
CD/Overdrive < 60 minutes.
Jim
Quite short, but a decent story of Harry working in the Open Unsolved Unit. It underlines just how difficult & drawn out investigations can be. Has an interesting twist, although it was telegraphed a little too well.

This is actually 25.5 in the Harry Bosch Universe. Here is the partial chronology.
24 - The Black Box (Harry Bosch #18), 2012
24.5 - A Fine Mist of Blood, 2012 - Harry Bosch Short Story, published in Mystery Writers of America Presents Vengeance(April 2012)
24.6 - Switchblade, 2014
Jim
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This does not work as a short story. The plot is good, but it just barely starts to get interesting and then it ends.
Jane Stewart
Dec 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
I enjoyed it. It’s good. But it’s too short to spend money on.

It’s is a 28 page ebook about Harry Bosch looking into an old unsolved case. I got it free when I preordered The Gods of Guilt (TGOG).

In Switchblade Harry investigates Sewel. In TGOG Sewel has a small part, but the two books don’t need each other and don’t add information for each other. Read them as two unrelated stories.

DATA:
Narrative mode: 3rd person. Kindle count: 323, 28 pages. Swearing language: strong but used once or maybe twi
Matt
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Connelly returns with a fresh short story to tease Harry Bosch fans until the next full-length novel hits bookstores and the electronic press. Working on Open-Unsolved cases, Bosch is handed a file when an anonymous tip comes in about a case dating back to '92. While he remembered the case at the time, there were no leads and nothing to link the brutal slaying to anyone in particular. With the tip and a re-evaluation of the evidence, Bosch hits potential pay dirt, leading him to begin interviewi ...more
David Highton
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it
A little short story featuring Harry Bosch - not much intuition in this one - legwork does the job. So short not worth the money on Amazon
Alisa
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
I love Harry but this was too short. It was barely a story and a waste of my time tbh.
Chuck
Jan 16, 2014 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
I actually paid money to read this book. It is not a book, it is an advertisment. I have always been a fan of Michael Connelly novels and when I saw this novella nearly being given away as an ebook, I jumped at the chance to read it. I was soon to discover that there was a very brief story, however, over half of the book was an introduction to another Connelly full length novel. Fool me once, ok, but they will never get another chance. This is the first book that I did not rate based upon the st ...more
Eric
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Harry Bosch, detective fiction
I got a copy of this story early, and for free, by pre-ordering Connelly's upcoming novel The Gods of Guilt, which was a no-brainer, as I was planning to buy that the day it came out regardless.

This short story featuring LAPD detective Harry Bosch on a cold case is more proof -- as if any was needed -- that the well for great Bosch stories is far from running dry.
Wendy
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Switchblade

I just started reading the Harry Bosch series and I really enjoyed this short story. I saw where a lot of people complained about this story being so short but I didn't find it that short and it does say Kindle Single when you purchase it. I am looking forward to reading more of this series and also watching the TV series "Bosch" on Amazon Prime.
Gary
Jun 29, 2014 rated it liked it
A short story by Michael Connelly. Although Harry Bosch is the detective I failed to recognise him. I am a big fan of Michael Connelly and have read virtually all of his work but this short story just goes through the motions.
Aditya
Aug 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Calling it a story is giving it too much credit. Mainly serving as an advertising tool for the next full length Bosch novel, it is fine for what it is. But judging it as a standalone short story I have no option but to give it the bare minimum stars GR allows.
Michael
Jan 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
Rip-off. A mediocre story that takes up less than 50% of the total file size; the rest is devoted to previews of existing Connelly books.
Susan
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
A quick easy read, because there for it was a short story after all. Precise and to the point.
Brad
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: thrillers-read
A resounding "meh."

I was extremely disappointed to find that the 67 page eBook is only 17 pages of story. The remainder consists of the cover, title page, welcome, about the author, books by the author, newsletters, copyright notices, and a 29-page excerpt from the author's latest "The Gods of Guilt". For anyone keeping track, you get a longer tease of another book than you get of actual "Switchblade"--by a nearly 2:1 margin. Not exactly what I had in mind when I decided to break protocol and bu
Michael
What's here is a good start to something, but it's over almost immediately (it's only twenty pages), and only goes to show that one of the things I read Connelly for is the long-form development. The mystery here isn't much of a mystery, and we aren't really given much of a peek into Bosch's life. It's an open-and-shut case, just like this little e-book.
Anke
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow - just wow!!! Didn't see that coming! Most of the time I have a hunch where the story will go, but not this time. What a great finish for my 2013 Challenge.
Michael Turashoff
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
An excellent short story from the master in police procedurals/detective stories Michael Connelly featuring the greatest detective of all time Harry Bosch. In this book, Connelly is able to cram a whole novel worth of intrigue, suspense and thrills into 32 short pages.

Our cold case hero solves the mysterious death of a young man in the Hollywood area and brings well-deserved justice to him in a way only a master detective can.

For a great short tale that gives you all of the benefits of a full-le
Jane Withers
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I listened to the audio book of this short story as I’m
partial to Len Cariou narrating the Harry Bosch detective novels .... this is a really short story , a decent little twist ... it was a free download as I used SCRIBD for all my audio books ... I note a few other readers are quite frankly wild with fury they paid for it . I probably would have paid 99p to listen though as in all honesty I love the character Harry Bosch so much I expect I’d read or listen to him having a chat with a tin of be
Robin
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, mystery
Detective Harry Bosch is working in the Open-Unsolved Unit when a tip is called in on a cold case. The anonymous caller's tip leads Harry to re-open the 1992 murder of a homosexual teenager killed with a switchblade. His body was left in the abandoned Brown Derby restaurant.

This story is way too short to do justice to a Harry Bosch book. If you want to read it, get it at the library. My rating: 2 Stars.
Don
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Made the waiting room bearable

Read it in about 30 minutes. It was a nice little story, even had a twist at the end I never saw coming. Super cheap on the amazon kindle app. Keep it in your back pocket in case you’re ever stuck in a waiting room and don’t have a book with you.
Loretta
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked the book, it was too short but it was interesting it actually kept awake I like Michael Connelly,good short story
Jill
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
Got this book on playaway and didn’t realize it was a short story until it suddenly ended. Started out as another promising Harry Bosch mystery working a cold case, but just ended too quick.
Nicole
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a short story featuring my favorite character, Harry Bosch. Loved the story, but it left me wanting more!
Eli
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started viewing Season 4 of Bosch on Amazon and got inspired to read a few of his short stories that I had not read yet. An unexpected twist at the end of this one.
Cindy
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Like series and this (tho short) satisfies. Well narrated and recommended.
Collin Reynolds
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Harry Bosch short story. Cold case.
Toni Osborne
Jan 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
A Harry Bosh Short Story

Book: 18.5 in the Harry Bosch series

Give me a break Mr. Connelly do you really need to put out a 50 pages or so book with half of it an introduction to a future book. What a shameful marketing ploy
Yes the first few pages leave a thrilling little story. It has the usual Connelly touch and excitement but ends fast and is not satisfying in my book. Why did I get it, perusing books at the library I saw this book available from one of my favourite author. I knew I had to get
Ami
This short story is just that, a bit too short to give an impact in the whole series. Someone gives tips about a murderer of a 19-year-old prostitute back in 1992, and all Bosch has to do is prove it. Truthfully, there isn't much of investigation going on, and Bosch pretty much gets his answers in non complicated way. There's a nice twist in the end about the tipper, but as a short story, it just fall in the line of "okay" for me.
Play Book Tag: Switchblade by Michael Connelly - 4 stars 1 13 Nov 06, 2018 07:38PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add details 3 10 Apr 18, 2017 11:04AM
  • Hook, Line & Sinister: Mysteries to Reel You In
  • City on Edge (Eve Rossi, #2)
  • Out the Window (A Matthew Scudder Story)
  • The Gods of Guilt (Lincoln Lawyer): by Michael Connelly -- Sidekick
  • The Problem of the Wire Cage (Dr. Gideon Fell, #11)
  • Red Eye: Patrick Kenzie vs. Harry Bosch: An Original Short Story
  • First Impressions
  • The House That Hugh Laurie Built: An Unauthorized Biography and Episode Guide
  • Desolation Road
  • Mama Gets Trashed (A Mace Bauer Mystery, #5)
  • A Textbook Case (Lincoln Rhyme, #9.5)
  • NYPD Red 2 -- Free Preview -- The First 16 Chapters
  • The Bad Beat (Burn Notice #5)
  • The Execution (Jeremy Fisk, #2)
  • Hap and Leonard
  • Bullseye (Will Robie, #2.5)
  • Twist (Frank Quinn, #8)
  • The Keeper (Dismas Hardy, #15)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Michael Connelly decided to become a writer after discovering the books of Raymond Chandler while attending the University of Florida. Once he decided on this direction he chose a major in journalism and a minor in creative writing — a curriculum in which one of his teache

Harry Bosch Universe (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • The Black Echo (Harry Bosch, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #1)
  • The Black Ice (Harry Bosch, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #2)
  • The Concrete Blonde (Harry Bosch, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #3)
  • The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch, #4; Harry Bosch Universe, #4)
  • The Poet (Jack McEvoy, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #5)
  • Trunk Music (Harry Bosch, #5; Harry Bosch Universe, #6)
  • Blood Work (Terry McCaleb #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #8)
  • Angels Flight (Harry Bosch, #6; Harry Bosch Universe, #7)
  • A Darkness More Than Night (Harry Bosch, #7; Terry McCaleb, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #9)
  • City of Bones (Harry Bosch, #8; Harry Bosch Universe, #10)