Start by marking “Waste of Timelessness and Other Early Stories” as Want to Read:
Waste of Timelessness and Other Early Stories

Waste of Timelessness and Other Early Stories

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  100 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Written when Anaïs Nin was in her twenties and living in Louveciennes, France, these stories contain many elements that will delight her readers: details remembered from childhood, of life in Paris, the cafés, theatres; characters including dancers, artists, writers, women who devote themselves to their work and visions as well as romance, strangers met in the night; theme ...more
Published December 1st 1993 by Swallow Press (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Waste of Timelessness and Other Early Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waste of Timelessness and Other Early Stories

Ian "Marvin" Graye
Not Timeless, But Not a Waste of Time

These sixteen stories were written before 1932, when Anais Nin turned 29.

It is not clear how old she was when she wrote the earliest of them, though at least one story is written from the point of view of a 12 year old girl.

Nin considered them to be "immature". All of them were rejected for publication by American magazines at the time of writing, and subsequently she forbade them to be published, until shortly before her death in 1977.

Ultimately, she agreed
Mariel
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: tell me more about him
Recommended to Mariel by: echoes
The nuns had called wings a soul. She must have that, certainly. It must be that which bothered her when her mother sang. And it was that which grew in the night when Ramona was not there to watch.
‘The Song in the Garden’

My books are related to another. It is my faith in love--- The father in ‘The Song in the Garden’ rejects his daughter’s use of the word ‘soul’. In this scenario the eggshells are trampled on by the king’s men and it is too late. (Will language sustain so many generations of peo
Tracy E.
Oct 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
My first Nin book. Some really beautiful passages, metaphors, and moments. Nin delves into the human condition with perceptive sensitivity and sometimes creates lush, surreal imagery. Some stories were a little difficult to follow, and not as meaningful and developed as others, but as Nin said, she wanted this published so people could see the progress of a writer through their earlier works.
Elia
Mar 06, 2013 rated it liked it
It's somewhere between 3 and 4 stars to me. This collection is tightly linked to one of Miller's books where the story is in 'Clichy'. It's from the feminine perspective though. This is a roughly immature collection though, which nonetheless throws you in the sweetest day dreams you promised yourself once you picked up Nin.
Tamara Rose
Apr 03, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is a collection of Anais' earlier stories, which I found to be more compelling than her later works. Nothing extremely developed, but Nin did manage to invent some very striking characters. My favorites were The Spoiled Party (if Edgar Allan Poe were a wistful, modern woman) and The Song in the Garden.
Cyndi Chauvin
Jan 13, 2012 rated it liked it
16 stories.
Some stories were quite strange indeed and harder to understand.
A Dangerous Perfume and A Spoiled Party were both kind of eerie n cool.
Liked Alchemy, Tishnar and A Slippery Floor also so it wasn't a waste of a read really and the whole book is only 105 pages.
Jul 20, 2010 rated it liked it
I loved the Song in the Garden, but I found the other stories to be mediocre by comparison. This is the first Anais Nin I have read and is one of her earlier ones. I definitely will now read some of her later books. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Sara Kay
This collection reminds me of both D.H. Lawrence and F. Scott Fitzgerald. I know the former was a strong influence on her but I am unsure about the latter :) Anais was right to finally have these published, granted they are not her best but I have seen a lot worse!
Jill
Nov 25, 2012
Steven Felicelli
Jul 05, 2012
ZigZagSuck
rated it did not like it
Feb 03, 2014
  • The Last Days
  • Stories and Essays of Mina Loy
  • Destroy, She Said
  • Kassandra and the Wolf
French-born novelist, passionate eroticist and short story writer, who gained international fame with her journals. Spanning the years from 1931 to 1974, they give an account of one woman's voyage of self-discovery. "It's all right for a woman to be, above all, human. I am a woman first of all." (from The Diary of Anaïs Nin, vol. I, 1966)

Anaïs Nin was largely ignored until the 1960s. Today she is