Start by marking “The City of Souls” as Want to Read:
The City of Souls

The City of Souls

(Starchild #2)

In The Age of Akra, a pilgrimage to the Valley of a Thousand Thoughts brings together four children as an ancient prophecy is set in motion. Having triumphed against dangerous adversaries, Mai, Long, Akra and Sahib are now pursued by the melkarie and must escape to the City of Souls. In the land of Naroan, in a city hidden under a blanket of living green, they are ...more
Published October 14th 2013 by Odyssey Books

To ask other readers questions about The City of Souls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The City of Souls

Start your review of The City of Souls
Renee
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Starchild: The City of Souls is a journey into a highly imaginative world filled with fantastical creatures and beings who have special abilities, an intricate plot containing many elements of surprise, heroes you’ll find yourself rooting for, and heinous, creepy villains originating from the underworld who will stop at nothing to wreak havoc and destruction. Underlying the series as a whole is the prophecy which is set into motion when Akra the Starchild arrives on planet Sage. The prophecy is ...more
Yesha- Books Teacup and Reviews
You can read all my review on Blog - Books Teacup and Reviews

The City of Souls was adventurous second book in Starchild series that takes children- Akra, Mai, Long and Sahib- to the City of soulbankers, regulator of life and death and their adventure in this city of souls. It was about beginning of the war against evil forces, irresolute mind, self-doubt, manipulation, love of sister, friendship and understanding and controlling the elemental powers and skills.

It should be read in order to
Jéssica
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
This second book continues with as many adventures, danger and new information. And if you haven't read book one, then you should definitely go read it and then jump in to this second book. I did that an not I'm very curious to read the third novel.

We still get to follow our amazing group and I loved to see them grow and learn, as well as see their relationships get stronger. It's always something that I absolutely love in a book, and when that story as kids, it makes me get really emotional and
Kirt Tompson
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A Forest Adventure with a Twist of Soul

This story combines a unique idea and coils in culture and something for the characters to find. It is a short adventure, but not an unsatisfactory length for the target audience being middle graders. It’s fast paced and keeps the reader turning pages. The protagonist is a young girl, Mai, and it begins where the last book finished. Akra, the Starchild is yet to remember all that he should know, but little by little things are coming back. Long is the loyal
Jordan Sayer
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
The Star Child - The City of Souls by Vacen Taylor is yet another action packed, thrilling adventure with many more imaginative creatures which were more easy to visualise than those in book one because the descriptions were more detailed. The characters acted like modern kids, but I would have thought they should have acted differently - perhaps more old fashioned. I still liked the different personalities of each character. Just like book one the novel consists of sections of dialogue that ...more
Jane
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Starchild: The City of Souls by Vacen Taylor

4 Stars

Carrying on from book one Mai, Long, Akra and Sarib continue on the next leg of their journey to the valley of a thousand thoughts. Each chapter carries it’s own mini adventure keeping the story fast paced and flowing well enough to keep the target audience engaged. Suitable for both boys and girls The City of Souls is an exciting action packed story with interesting characters and a cute little lizard named Barka.

My only concern is that younger
Gigi Sedlmayer
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The great and exciting Journey continues

Reading the second book of the Starchild sage, Starchild: The City of Souls, I was really pushed into the story. I hardly could put it down to go to sleep. The story goes on mystical and magical adventure with May and her brother Long and Akra.

This adventure is not only for kids it’s for all ages. And I would say, everyone who is reading the story will enjoy it tremendously, as I have. Just two words: Great story.

Keep going Vacen. Vacen is a great
Ben Ditmars
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The imaginative mind of author Vacen Taylor is incredible. I loved her characters and the magic she creates with them. The enchantment is not only for children but adults too. I started with the second book and immediately went to buy the first. If you like original fantasy, you will love Starchild: The City of Souls.
Candice Lemon-scott
Nov 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I like Starchild because the lizard is cool and Mai goes on adventures.

The book is exciting.

I can’t wait to read the next book.

Krystalin (8).
Peggy
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Second of the set. Again, enjoyed this as much as the first one. Well written, easy to follow. The adventures are pretty "cool" and has a thrill to them.
Susanne Powell
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeously penned characters and a thrilling plot, this book will have you hooked from the first sentence and leave you wanting more! Great read for children of all ages.
Anne Hamilton
The tension starts to build in this sequel to Starchild: The Age of Akra. And the tapestry of worldbuilding starts to become richly embellished. Many aspects of the first volume are coming into their own.

In the previous book, the children - Mai, Long, Akra and Sahib - have escaped from the mountain castle after the death of the underworld queen Amual. Mai resumes her interrupted pilgrimage to the Valley of a Thousand Thoughts but, not long into the journey, the children are captured by sand
Cindy Cipriano
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The reader doesn’t have to go far into the story to see the beauty in Taylor’s writing. The prologue is quite lovely and helps sets the stage for the second book in this amazing series. All of the characters are relatable and well-defined, down to the lizard, Barka, who travels through the desert with Mai.

The City of Souls is carefully-crafted blend of science fiction and fantasy. The story connects the reader through the use of vivid descriptions and fast-paced writing. This is one of those
Tasman Anderson
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"Review published in the 20th August 2014 edition of the Gold Coast Bulletin"

Once again, Vacen Taylor has reminded me that the fantasy genre is far from dead.

In the second instalment to the Starchild series, The City of Souls picks up where the previous novel left off. Mai, Long, Akra and Sahib have triumphed against their enemies and are now being pursued by the Melkarie. They must escape to the City of Souls before they run out of time.

The point of view switches between characters, showing you
Leelynn (Sometimes Leelynn Reads) ❤
Disclaimer: I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you to Rachel’s Random Resources and Odyssey Books for this free copy. All quotes in this review are taken from the Advanced Reader Copy and may change in final publication.

I’m actually really glad that I took a chance on this series because it was pretty cool! This was a really great middle grade fantasy novel, that honestly felt like I was reading a Young Adult novel that I
Jessica Bronder
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We return to this wonderful fantasy world as the children are trying to finish their original quest to the Valley of a Thousand Thoughts. But they get trapped by sand slavers and barely escape. As they kids try to get to the Chamber of Souls to retrieve the Silvershade. But they are not alone in their quest. Dark and evil forces are also trying to find the Silvershade to use it for their own purposes.

Where to begin? I love how we jump right into the story from the end of the first book. I do
Jessica Belmont
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Book Two of the Starchild Series:The City of Soulsis a fantastic middle grade novel that I think both kids and adults will love. Vacen Taylor’s writing is intricate and brilliantly descriptive. Each book in this series does standalone, however, I’m happy to have read them in order because there are underlying themes.

There’s a mix of sci-fi and fantasy going on in this story that I find pretty awesome. I loved the elements of surprise sprinkled in. The plot was fabulous and kept me entertained
Sean Talbot
Michelle
Aug 19, 2013
Roxy Meto
Oct 18, 2013

• Awa and the Dreamrealm (Dreamweavers, #1)
  • Wild Sky: The Relic Hunters #2
  • You Too?
  • Monkey Arkwright (Wardens of the Black Heart #1)
  • Christmas from the Heart
  • Perfect Match
  • Ghost (Track, #1)
  • Brad was Sad: Emotional intelligence storybook. Choose your outlook and own your feelings.
  • Esme's Wish (Esme Series #1)
  • In the Heart of Windy Pines
  • Christmas in Silver Springs (Silver Springs, #6)
  • Coming Home for Christmas (Haven Point, #10)
  • Hearts, Strings, and Other Breakable Things