Start by marking “Hansel and Gretel (Faerie Tale Collection, #5)” as Want to Read:
Hansel and Gretel (Faerie Tale Collection, #5)

Hansel and Gretel

(Faerie Tale Collection #5)

Hansel's father finds a child lost and alone during a violent thunderstorm. After bringing her in from the tempest, he and his son are startled to discover that she is Gretel, a princess of Larkein the enemy kingdom their own king has just destroyed. Fearful for her life, Hansel pleads with his father to save her. He believes they can make Gretel good by teaching her their ...more
Published August 15th 2013 by Stonehouse Ink (first published March 14th 2013)

Start your review of Hansel and Gretel (Faerie Tale Collection, #5)
Megan (ReadingRover)
I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I really enjoyed this version of Hansel and Gretel with a romantic twist. I think I’ll be reading more of this series of fairytale retellings. Haha when did I ever say I will not read more fairytale retellings!
Kathy Jo
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I will admit that Hansel and Gretel was not a story that I liked too much growing up. No idea why... just didn't like it. When I saw that Jenni was retelling this story with her own little twist, I knew it would be one that I enjoyed! And I was correct! :o)

I loved Hansel from the very beginning! He was funny, loving, the ultimate protector and just all around great guy! He brings a smile to my face just thinking of things he did throughout the book. And Gretel! She's a little feisty thing! But
Jenni James
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This book baby has finally been born! I really loved the idea of taking a familiar story and twisting it into a romance. My story is about a hidden princess and the boy who saves her.

It is the first book I have written that has an tie-in to another one. Jack and Jill, from Jack and the Beanstalk, are Hansel and Gretel's children. Watch for their story to come out in just a couple of weeks.

I loved revisiting the world again and I hope you love it too.

This Faerie Tale Collection has been such
Lydia
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute slight twist on the fairy tale. Personally I would have loved a longer story from such a gifted writer.
Rmsooon
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Ive read " hensel and gretel faerie tale collection " ,, i really liked it nice twist ive always wanted this twist ,, i gave it 3.5 out of 5
Sara
This was a cute retelling of Hansel and Gretel with some twists. There is Hansel and Gretel, of course, but they are not actually related, and there is the creepy witch that sneeks her way into their lives by marrying Hansel's father and putting an enchantment on him. And then of course what would the story be without the cottage in the woods made of candy. Candy that makes you forget everything except for the fact that you want more candy;) This short story had adventure, magic, and a little ...more
Natasha Junor
Dec 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
As always, I really enjoyed this Fairytale retelling by Jenni James. I felt it could have used another plot complication to drag in on a little more, but it was still a relaxing, sweet book. I love these books because instead of adding too many new elements to a fairytale, Jenni simple gives it a new background and back story. Loved Hansel especially!
Sophie Thompson
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
a brilliant twist on a classic fairytale
Elentarien
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Carinne Gee
May 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Didn't get super far. Just didn't like where the story was going. Hansel and Gretel are raised as siblings and yet Hansel falls in love with Gretel. That's just creepy. Once I realized that this the course of the story, I put it down. Wasn't my thing anyway.....not really sure why I picked it up. I'm not a huge fan of fairy tale re-tellings. But, clean from what I could tell. Just not for me.
Kent
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Jenni James' fairy tales that are re-written & re-imagined & sometimes expanded, tying into one or more subsequent fairy tales.
She does a great job with these & her Jane Austin tales.
For those who like either genres, I highly recommend this & all her books!
Bookworm
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ann Marie
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
The twist in this story was pretty good but I didn’t like that it turned into a romance, it’s just too convenient and too many things are left open ended.
Kiersten Garfield
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love it! So cute and sweet
Ashley
Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5.. not sure how I feel about a couple who were raised as siblings falling inlove, although technically not related. Cute little story though.
Amel  Armeliana
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
A refreshing story about Hansel and Gretel and I loved it.
Bonnie (A Backwards Story)
This fairy tale is the first to twine together another fairy tale, which will have repercussions on future tales today. Check out today's interview with author Jenni James for more secrets about this interesting turn of events. Hansel and Gretel are older in this tale, no longer children tossed out by their parents due to a lack of food, etc. Instead, Gretel is the long-lost princess from a war-torn kingdom, discovered as a lost child and taken in by Hansel's family. Over the last year, Hansel ...more
Katie W
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairytale
I always think of Hansel and Gretel as two children, lost in the woods, marking their path with bread crumbs and discovering a witch's house that's made out of candy. That's not exactly how things happen in this retelling and I love the twists. There are enough similarities to keep true to the basic outline of the story, but enough changes to make it unique.

Hansel is a tough, strong guy, with a great sense of humor and a way of coping with his feelings that's both annoying and endearing, all at
Jennifer Erwin
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
*Disclaimer: I was given an ARC of this for a review.
**That doesn't stop me from writing what I really feel about this book.

I discovered Jenni James Faerie Tale collection and became instantly enamored. She has taken the fairy tales we all grew up with and love and has put a different twist on them. She did it yet again with Hansel & Gretel. Her writing just draws you in to the story, and it just flows. I read this tale pretty quickly. I couldn't put it down. I love how it segues into
Katelyn
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: clean-read
It was ok. The couple had its moments and Hansel was touchingly protective of gretel. The plot was captivating and suspenseful at times. Though Hansel's character annoyed me in the beginning. Gretel was fun and nice.

Moral note: some disturbing concepts, kissing, mild violence, mild abuse, no cussing
*****spoiler**********

I didn't care for the ending. I didn't like how they killed the witch when they probably could've handed her over to the governmnet. The way they killed her was them judging
Stories & Verse
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was the story of a brother sister relationship that developed into a romance. I only gave 2 stars because the romance aspects were downplayed by the intervention of an evil witch;which I guess was the intention of the story. Overall, it was interesting to read how the two escaped the evils, but I thought the development of Hansel and Gretel's relationship should have been in the forefront of the story. There was adventure with little romance... and there was no link between the intentions ...more
Anvitha
Jul 17, 2013 rated it liked it
I wish I could say this book deserves 500 stars and it was the best Hansel and Gretel book I've ever read...but if wishes were fishes we'd all throw nets. This book was mostly the non-violent version. You know the one you would tell a little 3 year old and wouldn't have to worry about nightmares. Which is part reason I didn't like this book. And there were switch-ups, but most of the book was totally predictable. Which is why I think it only deserves the 4 stars. But if I didn't like those ...more
Seamaiden
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-a-z
This book was barely okay. First, even though Hansel and Gretel weren't siblings, it was weird how one moment they were like "brother/sister" and then they were thinking of kissing each other. Second, the plot was rushed, and had holes. The whole "she turned them into sugar and then ate them" made me feel sick. I mean, I know how the original fairytale was about a witch eating kids, but something in the way this one was narrated made me actually sick.

I am open to reading more books from Jenni
Karla
I was looking forward to this book. It was my promise to myself for doing something I was supposed to do, but didn't want to do. I loved the book sleeve description of this book, possibly better than all of the others in this series. But, I really think I'm sort of creeped out about the romance element in this particular book. I get that they aren't actually siblings, but still. The witch, and the candy, and the history that had for Gretel were all interesting. I was happy for Gretel, in the ...more
Ponytaorponyboy
Frezanda
Julie Carpenter
Another fun, fast, clean fairy tale spinoff. I enjoyed it and the fact that I could read it in one sitting before bed. There's always the toss up for me of reading a longer story with more developed characters and plot or a shorter, concise yet still enjoyable story. It's nice to have both options. These faerie tales are definitely a go to short, fast read for me.

Fun twist to the Hansel and Gretel fairy tale.

Happy Reading!!!
Becka
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, ya, fantasy
This is part of a series of really well-done retellings of classic folk and fairy tales. What I love is that she has given realistic motives to the characters and while she leaves the tropes in, the tropes get a bit twisted so that you can see why they might exist.

Here, Hansel and Gretel are adoptive siblings who fall in love. The witch is unexpected as as the stepmother. An interesting retelling.
Elizabeth
Jul 01, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle
I couldn't get past the point that Hansel and Gretel were raised as siblings but then fell in love. One minute Hansel would be like "your're such a pain in the neck sister' and then he would be rubbing her arms and thinking of kissing her....the creep factor was just too high and the story was rushed and just kind of awful.
Erica
Jan 05, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars. This was a cute retelling with a twist. Instead of Hansel and Gretel being siblings, Gretel is saved by Hansel's father when she is 6 years old. Hansel convinces his father to keep Gretel and protect her, so they do grow up together. Enter an evil witch and you've got the basis of this fairy tale with a more elaborate story.
« previous 1 3 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 3 Dec 21, 2014 09:53AM

• A Taste for Monsters
  • The Glass of Lead and Gold
  • The Book of Atrix Wolfe
  • Frogkisser!
  • Wanted: One Perfect Man (Starlight Trilogy, #1)
  • Snow-Walker
  • A Hearse of a Different Color
  • Eye of the Crow (The Boy Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • Dodger
  • Hemingway's Paris: A Writer's City in Words and Images
  • Better Homes and Gardens Cookies and Candies
  • Hot Drinks
  • A Divided Loyalty (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #22)
  • Wolkenschloss
  • American Sherlock: Murder, Forensics, and the Birth of American CSI
  • Love Lies Bleeding (Gervase Fen, #5)
  • To Win Her Heart
  • The Orphan's Wish (Hagenheim, #8)
CLEAN ROMANCE FOR TEENS:

*The Jane Austen Diaries*
Pride & Popularity (Aug 2011)
Persuaded (Aug. 2012)
Emmalee (Jan 2013)
Mansfield Ranch (Dec 2013)
Northanger Alibi (Feb. 2012)
Sensible & Sensational (July 2015)
Sand & Sun (2016)

Cinderella
Hansel and Gretel
Jack and the Beanstalk
Snow

Faerie Tale Collection (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Beauty and the Beast (Faerie Tale Collection, #1)
  • Sleeping Beauty (Faerie Tale Collection, #2)
  • Rumplestiltskin (Faerie Tale Collection, #3)
  • Cinderella (Faerie Tale Collection, #4)
  • Jack and the Beanstalk (Faerie Tale Collection, #6)
  • Snow White (Faerie Tale Collection, #7)
  • The Frog Prince (Faerie Tale Collection, #8)
  • The Twelve Dancing Princesses (Faerie Tale Collection, #9)
  • Rapunzel (Faerie Tale Collection, #10)
  • The Little Mermaid (Faerie Tale Collection, #11)