Start by marking “Dix Petits Nègres” as Want to Read:
Dix Petits Nègres

Dix Petits Nègres

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  466,648 Ratings  ·  17,693 Reviews
En a-t-on parlé de l’Île du Nègre! Elle avait, selon certains, été achetée par une star de Hollywood.Des journaux avaient insinué que l’Amirauté britannique s’y livrait à des expériences ultra secrètes. Bref, quand ils reçurent –sans savoir de qui– cette invitation à passer des vacances à l’Île du Nègre, tous les dix accoururent.
Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages
Published September 1st 1976 by Le Livre de Poche (first published November 6th 1939)

To ask other readers questions about Dix Petits Nègres, please sign up.

Jackie Allen That's exactly what I like about it. I love not being able to guess who did it. Often killers are so easy to work out. This one had me guessing until…moreThat's exactly what I like about it. I love not being able to guess who did it. Often killers are so easy to work out. This one had me guessing until the very end and even then I read back to see what I missed!(less)
Azur The original title was actually "Ten little niggers". There is (was?) a small island named Nigger Island that inspired Christie for the setting. Since…moreThe original title was actually "Ten little niggers". There is (was?) a small island named Nigger Island that inspired Christie for the setting. Since this is pretty offensive it was changed to "Ten little Indians". The children's rhyme was originally about Indians/Native Americans. This was deemed offensive too, so today they use the last line of the children's rhyme as title and the little figures were changed to soldiers.
Information from my copy of the book.

I have two versions of this book. One is the English version with the little soldiers. The other one is a German translation of the original version with the N word (and a ton of apologies in the preface) but also with the last line as title. (less)

Mohammed Arabey
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
يجب أن أعترف أن ضيق أفقي هو مامنعني من دخول عالم أجاثا كريستي
فمنذ صغري لم تبهرني أغلفة قصصها المترجمة للعربية
كما أن معرفة والدي لافلامها وقراءة والدتي لروايتها منذ الصغر جعلني أشعر أن الغموض بهذه القصص "موضة قديمة" وألغازها ستكون مكشوفة لي
ناهيك عن مقولة "لابد أن الخادم هو من فعلها كقصص أجاثا كريستي" جعلتني
متشككا أن الحل دائما نمطيا
فلماذا أقرأ لها؟..لم يعد هناك شئ

عشر عساكر صغار ذهبوا الي العشاء
اختنق احدهم ..ثم تبقي تسعة

الي ان جائتني دعوة..دعوه لقراءة احد كتب اجاثا كريستي لانها في قائمة أعلي
Nataliya

This lovely mystery book is first and foremost about the administration of the long-overdue justice, right? At least that's what the mastermind behind it all believes.

But the question is - who has the right to decide what justice is? And who is to decide what punishment serves the crime? And is perceived justice at all costs the ultimate goal, or is it the frequently pointless work of a maniac? As a matter of fact, what is justice after all?

I think the story of this book (the one that may win th
Kinga
Mar 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before I begin I would like to apologise for my use of the N word in this review.
It is necessary, I promise.

This book was originally published in UK under a charming title of "Ten Little Niggers". When it came to the US version in the 40's someone decided that 'Ten Little Niggers' is not the most marketable title for a book so they changed it to 'Ten Little Indians' (as it was still ok to call Native Americans Indians then).
Only years after someone decided that neither 'Niggers', nor 'Indians'
Emily May
I'm a big lover of Agatha Christie, she has written some fantastic murder mysteries and her stories never get tiring. But this is the one that just comes out on top every time.

It partly, and quite amusingly, reminds me of that old American murder mystery in Sunset Beach. Basically, they're the only ones on this island and someone is killing them off one by one in accordance with the Ten Little Indians rhyme . And I swear I never saw it coming, and I'm usually very good at it. It's just a very cl
Anne

Reread: 2015
Because some Non-Crunchy Cool Classic Pantaloonless friends thought I read it wrong...

description

Turns out, I did. This was a really good mystery!
{insert long-winded apology with much groveling}
Happy, guys?

description

The story goes a bit like this:
10 strangers each get invitations from someone they think they know, to stay on an island resort. Hells yeah! Sunshine & sea air!

description

Well, resort is a bit of a misnomer.
It's really a big house on an island. Still, it's famous for being a party place, and nobody
Brina
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This year I have decided to take part in a women's century challenge in the group catching up on classics where the participants read a book written in ten consecutive decades. I chose to focus on the 20th century and my 1930s selection is And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. Although I had previously read some of her Hercule Poirot cases, this is my first stand alone mystery of Christie's that I have read. A suspenseful premise for a case, And Then There Were None left me on edge for th ...more
James
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars to Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None. This is the book that started my absolute love of the mystery genre. I was addicted and must have read it 3 or 4 times over the course of the year. Between the poem, the deserted island, the plot twist, the count-down, the pure clandestine suspense... it couldn't get any better.

Story
Ten people receive a mystery letter from someone they don't know that indicates they should come to a remote island. Why would they go????? After arriving, the
Alejandro
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, detective, novel
Extraordinary and gripping novel!

I knew that the best way to start reading the literary work by Agatha Christie was choosing her most known book. And There were none is the best-selling mystery novel of all time with 100 million of copies, and the fifth book in the list comprehending all genres. That is something to give to Agatha Christie the respect that she deserves.

Initially this novel on UK was titled Ten Little Niggers, only because the original nursery rhyme was called that but it was obv
Junta
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Junta by: Detective Conan
"Ten literary Goodreads reviewers chatting online;
One bot was discovered and then there were Nine.
Nine literary Goodreads reviewers on a thread until late;
One lost his Wi-Fi signal and then there were Eight.
Eight literary Goodreads reviewers groupreading Austen;
One only read males and then there were Seven.
Seven literary Goodreads reviewers averse to using pics;
One blasphemed with GIFs and then there were Six.
Six literary Goodreads reviewers booktubing live;
One revealed too much and then there
Mansuriah Hassan
Wow! This is a masterpiece! Dame Agatha Christie's achievement is remarkable. She creates ten characters, all suspected of murder, who are lured to an island. She has them meet their deaths one by one as nominated in the nursery rhyme "Ten Little Indians" which is displayed in their rooms. She has each murder occur in a situation where almost all the other island guests might have had opportunity to commit it.

Set on an isolated island without contact of the outside civilization, a group of ten
Helen Ροζουλί Εωσφόρος   Vernus Portitor Arcanus Ταμετούρο   Αμούν Arnum
Η αξία και η γοητεία του κλασικού αστυνομικού μυστηρίου.
Εκπληκτική πλοκή,εξαιρετική περιγραφή και σκιαγράφηση ηρώων καθώς η συναισθηματική τους φόρτιση μεταλλάσσεται απο στιγμή σε στιγμή.
Όλες οι ανθρώπινες αδυναμίες και αρετές σε ακραία σημεία.
Απο το πάθος στο λάθος. Απο τη χαρά στον πόνο. Απο την αθώωση στην παντοτινή ταπείνωση μέσω συνείδησης.
Όλοι κρίθηκαν αθώοι για κάποια εγκλήματα. Σχεδόν όλοι ειναι ένοχοι όμως.
Ανάμεσα σε δέκα άτομα που δέχονται πρόσκληση για το νησί του Νέγρου με σκοπό
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
SUCH a superb mystery. Wow.
Moira Russell
I admit I am a late, reluctant and suspicious convert to Christie. I avoided her studiously as an adolescent, because dozens and dozens of her paperbacks were always on sale with equally cheap indistinguishable romances and other 'women's books,' and I wanted no part of those. I read Chandler, not Christie; Hammett, not Sayers; James, not Marsh. I even read a few Spillane books, for Chrissakes, at a friend's urging (UGH), but still no Christie. Those endless TV adaptations, with the dotty Miss M ...more
Manny
Feb 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My friend Amelie and I used this book as half of our corpus when we wrote our 1990 paper, An Implementable Semantics for Comparative Constructions . We spent several days combing through the text, extracting and categorizing every single occurrence of a comparative construction. So you'll appreciate that I know what I'm talking about when I say it's better than most murder mysteries.
Kai
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, classics
“When the sea goes down, there will come from the mainland boats and men. And they will find ten dead bodies and an unsolved problem on Soldier Island.”

My first Agatha Christie, and a good one indeed. And Then There Were None just recently came to my attention. Maybe it was the new mini series or the many people suddenly reading this, but I was intruiged immediately. I can't wait to watch the series!

Agatha Christie totally tricked me. I thought I had figured it out, but I was wrong. This novel t
mark monday
You Chose Your Own Adventure!

You are a man, you are a woman; you are judge, jury, and executioner. You are surrounded by murderers and assholes. Kill ‘em all! Then kill yourself. Your adventure is over.

If you would like to start your life anew, choose
Khadidja
I LOVED IT !!!!!

“Ten little Indian boys went out to dine; One choked his little self and then there were nine.
Nine little Indian boys sat up very late; One overslept himself and then there were eight.
Eight little Indian boys travelling in Devon; One said he'd stay there and then there were seven.
Seven little Indian boys chopping up sticks; One chopped himself in halves and then there were six.
Six little Indian boys playing with a hive; A bumblebee stung one and then there were five.
Five little
Evgeny
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ten Figures

To talk about the plot of this book however briefly would give spoilers right away. For people who have not read them, spoilers kill Agatha Christie books. Basically there is a small isolated island bought by an American millionaire which was later sold to a mysterious party generating a lot of rumors about the latest buyer. A group of very different people ended up on the island.
Island

If you are familiar with the Dame of Mystery's writing you would guess there will be a murder. If you have read sever
Fernando
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
¡Qué genialidad este libro! Cómo me encanta leer novelas que me impactan y que quedan en mi mente durante mucho tiempo...
No soy un asiduo lector de novelas policiales. Es más, para ser sincero he leído muy poco. Apenas los tres cuentos de Edgar Allan Poe (“Los crímenes de la calle Morgue”, “El misterio de Marie Rogêt” y “La carta robada”) que comenzaron con el género, “Estudio en escarlata” de Sir Arthur Conan Doyle y un volumen de 800 páginas llamado “De Poe a Simenon: Antología de cuentos poli
Apatt
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, mainstream
“It's the Final Countdown do do do doo do do dododo!”

I've always wanted to start an Agatha Christie review with a bit of cheesy Swedish hair metal. And Then There Were None has been declared the world's favourite Agatha Christie novel, not to mention the bestselling crime novel of all time (same Guardian source). Considering she wrote hundreds of books, including iconic titles like Murder on the Orient Express and Murder at the Vicarage, this is clearly the definitive Christie. Her ace detect
Rehab Ali
لم يخطئ النقاد حين صنفوا هذه الرائعة من أكثر روايات أجاثا دقة وادهاشاً .. انهمكت في قراءتها وأنهيتها رغماً عني سريعا للفضول الشديد الذي ألم بي لمعرفة النهاية الغير متوقعه أبداً .. يدهشني في اجاثا دقتها في وصف المشاهد لدرجة أني أتخيل نفسي في موقع الحدث .. ان أردت أن تجرب قراءة الروايات البوليسية فهذه الرواية هي الأجدر بأن تكون البداية لك
Beatriz
Lo comencé con mucha expectativa. Me encanta este género literario y la mayoría de los lectores de GR concuerda en que este libro es el mejor de Agatha Christie. Y así de bueno también lo estaba encontrando yo hasta… que llegó el desenlace.

Sin duda, el atractivo de la novela es ir juntando las piezas para resolver el misterio que nos presenta, por lo que encontré bastante decepcionante darme cuenta, al llegar a las últimas páginas, que daba lo mismo quien fuera el asesino.

Durante toda la histori
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

WARNING: IF YOU DID NOT LIKE HARPER’S ISLAND CLICK AWAY PRONTO ‘CAUSE THIS STORY REMINDED ME OF THAT STORY AND I’M GOING TO HARPER’S ISLAND THE POOP OUT OF THIS MO-FO

Still here? Okay, let’s get on with the show.

Upon starting And Then There Were None, I found myself feeling extremely . . . giddy. WTF is wrong with me? Normal people don’t get all smiley when they begin a book where everyone and their dog is going to get murdered. I need
James Thane
This book, first published in 1939, and The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (1926), are generally considered to be Agatha Christie's most outstanding achievements. Both are premier examples of the "locked room" mystery, and this book is perhaps the most elaborate puzzle mystery ever published. Christie noted later that it was the most difficult book she ever wrote and the one that pleased her the most.

As the book opens, eight people who are all strangers to each other, accept an invitation to spend the
Amy | shoutame
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I just love Agatha Christie! I listened to this one on audio book (which is very new thing for me!) and thoroughly enjoyed it!

We follow a group a ten people who are invited to an island off the coast of Devon. Their host is nowhere to be found and they are all getting a little edgy. Soon they discover that they all harbour dark secrets in their past, secrets that they hoped no one else was aware of. Slowly but surely the ten guests turn up dead. Who is reeking this revenge upon them? How do they
Madeline
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Ten little soldier boys went out to dine; One choked his little self and then there were nine.

Nine little soldier boys sat up very late; One overslept himself and then there were eight.

Eight little soldier boys travelling in Devon; One said he'd stay there and then there were seven.

Seven little soldier boys chopping up sticks; One chopped himself in halves and then there were six.

Six little soldier boys playing with a hive; A bumblebee stung one and then there were five.

Five little soldier boys
*TANYA*
Stupendous!!! I cannot believe this book was written back in 1939!! It truly is a timeless story. I will have to read more of Agatha's books.
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Every once in a while on Goodreads I find myself feeling compelled to make a True Confession, and here's another one: I'm not all that much of a Hercule Poirot fan.

For someone who's read probably 30 or 40 Agatha Christie books over her lifetime, that's probably an odd thing. I like him okay, I don't DISlike him, but yeah, he kind of irks me sometimes. So when I'm picking up an Agatha Christie mystery, I'm always a little bit tickled when it doesn't involve Poirot. This is one of those books, so
Halfino Berry
Jul 05, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Shelves: mystery
I read it many years ago, during my junior high (or before?), loved it, and consider it as one of Christie's best writing.

You won't find Poirot or Miss Marple in it, but as her other books are usually related to some popular rhymes, this one is related with '10 Little Indians' (which is the other title for this book).

Alternately, you will have these ten people with the dark past isolated in an island. One by one, each of them were killed. You may guess who the killer was while turning page over
Goodreads Librari...: Better Quality Book Cover and Book Data 6 20 Sep 18, 2017 06:39AM
Did anyone suspect? 142 1193 Sep 14, 2017 08:45AM
EXO-L Book Club: And Then There Were None - August 2017 - Mystery & Thriller 11 10 Sep 01, 2017 02:13PM
Club de lectura p...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Diez negritos - 3er bimestre 2017 (may-jul) 12 87 Aug 30, 2017 06:54AM
  • Gaudy Night (Lord Peter Wimsey, #12)
  • Vintage Murder (Roderick Alleyn, #5)
  • The Sanctuary Sparrow (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael #7)
  • The Doorbell Rang (Nero Wolfe, #41)
  • The Mystery of the Yellow Room
  • The Deeds of the Disturber (Amelia Peabody, #5)
  • The Man With a Load of Mischief (Richard Jury, #1)
  • His Last Bow: 8 Stories
  • The Black Tower (Adam Dalgliesh #5)
  • Arsène Lupin, Gentleman-Thief (Arsène Lupin)

More about Agatha Christie...

Five little Indian boys going in for law; One got in Chancery and then there were four.
Four little Indian boys going out to sea; A red herring swallowed one and then there were three.
Three little Indian boys walking in the Zoo; A big bear hugged one and then there were two.
Two little Indian boys sitting in the sun; One got frizzled up and then there was one.
One little Indian boy left all alone; He went and hanged himself and then there were none.”
519 likes