Start by marking “The Huey P. Newton Reader” as Want to Read:
The Huey P. Newton Reader

The Huey P. Newton Reader

The first comprehensive collection of writings by the Black Panther Party founder and revolutionary icon of the black liberation era, The Huey P. Newton Reader combines now-classic texts ranging in topic from the formation of the Black Panthers, African Americans and armed self-defense, Eldridge Cleaver's controversial expulsion from the Party, FBI infiltration of civil ri ...more
Published May 7th 2002 by Seven Stories Press (first published March 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Huey P. Newton Reader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Huey P. Newton Reader

Start your review of The Huey P. Newton Reader
Nicko
Dec 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Black Panthers
Stokely Carmicheal started the black empowerment movement, a violent reaction to the discontent over the harrassment from MLK's non-violent movement that saw many beat and lynched, Huey P. Newton took that sentiment and ran with it in his unique style and humor.
Rarain
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A political powerful read.
H.K. Johnson
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Starts off strong, very intriguing, detailing the founding of the party and Huey's early experiences, but the book progresses chronologically and pulls from a number of his later speeches, writings, and conversations, which are much more academic and theory based. Became too much of a philosophical read for me throughout much of the book. The beginning of the book, and the end where he discusses the government's/FBI's attack on the party I found most interesting.
Ruth
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: racism, america
Beyond being a tough-as-nails revolutionary force, an intellectual with a shotgun, a friend to the oppressed, and an American hero, Huey is also beautiful writer. Highly recommend reading the story of the Black Panthers from the Minister of Defense himself.
Guido Colacci
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW!!! Amazing man and leader!
Rafael Suleiman
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very intense collection of essays and writings from Huey P. Newton.
Sierra
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Incredible.
Mykie
Why I read this book:
I have a strong passion for black history, black consciousness and the black experience. It is very important for me to understand where my people have been in order to be involved with where we are going. I picked up this book with the intention of learning more about Huey P. Newton, who was a pioneer in his own right.

Content: 1/1
The contents of the book were hefty and solid in my quest to gather more details about Huey P. Newton, his perspective and
tom bomp
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fascinating if you're interested in the Black Panthers, probably not so much otherwise. The first quarter is an extract from his autobiography Revolutionary Suicide, which I really want to read now and would probably be a better bet if you're not interested in the more detailed parts of his ideology and how it developed - it's a pretty gripping read even with just the short extract. The end chapter is an extract from War Against The Panthers which was his doctoral thesis and talks about the ways ...more
Jinghua
Dec 23, 2012 rated it liked it
The Black Panther Party Platform and Program is still totally revolutionary today, and the Party's history is impressive and inspiring. Some of the writing in this reader is pretty repetitive though, and at times Newton veers into overly abstract philosophy. But at his best he is incisive and empowering. It's great to see him speaking out for gay and lesbian and women's rights at that early point, and in particular to hear him speak frankly about being personally uncomfortable with these movemen ...more
David
Oct 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
A third of this book is a reprint of Revolutionary Suicide, which is incredibly well written, probably in part due to Toni Morrison's editing. As for chapters from other collections, Intercommunalism and the speech to Boston College are clear and concise renderings about the political philosophies of the Black Panthers. The rest of the material does not have the immediacy, readability or fire. These two essays are worth at least borrowing the book for. I'd start with Revolutionary Suicide first.
Kei
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book has opened me up to Huey P. Newton on the most interconnecting level possible. It is great to know the background of Huey, his thoughts, and his actions. Before buying this book I had only the brief idea of who/what Huey P. Newton is/was. The book is great, in detail and knowledge. Everytime I pick it up I have a hard time putting it down, because I just want to know more. It has curved my ideas of the System of racism in America to have more of a solid/valid argument vs the overall "A ...more
Ashley
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"It is human liberation that makes a dialectic with every suffering member of the mass of humankind. There is simply not enough power to go around. So men will fight women in the way whites fight Blacks. Women’s liberation must transcend the scarcity principle, under which it has been operating, must make common cause against the snake of antinatural tyranny; in the house, certainly, but finally in the white house and other places of the West."
Clayton
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Huey P. Newton is timeless. He is a tribute to what deep powers lie within the lumpen, their lack of exposure or indoctrination allows them to dream and act in ways ordinary people think unimaginable. Huey was ahead of his time and his theory of intercommunalism predicted globalization accurately, just goes to show what Revolutionary Science can do when in the hands of the oppressed. This is a book that I will always re-read and never get tired with.
Jordan Mosley
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was the most enlightening and mind opening book I have read so far. This book had me realize not only the flaws in my methodology but made me confront my ideology of approaching problems. It was also very informative to see what really happened during that time. I really loved this book and I want to read more of his writings. I highly suggest this to anyone.
C.M. Crockford
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: politik, non-fiction
A great collection of Newton's speeches and writings-pretty striking to get beyond the bluster of the black power salute and the militant style to see what an intelligent, coherent, angry, thoughtful man Newton was. His writing is sharp, influenced by Marxism but is not dogmatic, and always feel like he has the intelligence to back up his remarks. Enormous power.
Amanda P
Nov 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
huey is ( was) the man
Noelle
Nov 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: essay, memoir
Fantastic. He was, obviously, brilliant. It also provides an often overlooked perspective on the 1960s.
jo
Jun 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
all men writing in this era like to talk about scamming and fighting, i've noticed.
this, more than anything, feels like something that should not be rated with these little stars. oh well.
Makeydah

• Critique of Pure Reason
  • The Complete Book of Enoch: Standard English Version
  • Walden & Civil Disobedience
  • A Companion to Marx's Capital
  • Uzumaki: Spiral into Horror, Vol. 2.
  • Demons
  • How the Scots Invented the Modern World
  • Heart of Darkness and The Secret Sharer
  • The Pillow Book
  • Buddhist Wisdom: The Diamond Sutra and The Heart Sutra
  • The Complete Poems
  • Seize the Time: The Story of the Black Panther Party and Huey P. Newton
Huey Percy Newton was co-founder and leader of the Black Panther Party for Self Defense, a civil rights organization that began in October 1966.
“To us power is, first of all, the ability to define phenomena, and secondly the ability to make these phenomena act in a desired manner.” 0 likes