Start by marking “Developing the Leader Within You” as Want to Read:
Developing the Leader Within You

Developing the Leader Within You

Developing the Leader Within You is Dr. Maxwell’s first and most enduring leadership book, having sold more than one million copies. In this Christian Leaders Series edition of this Maxwell classic, you will discover the biblical foundation for leadership that John Maxwell has used as a pastor and business leader for more than forty years. These same principles and practices ...more
Published October 2nd 2005 by Thomas Nelson (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Developing the Leader Within You, please sign up.
Sarah Van Der Weerd there are lots of free pdf. files, this is how i read al of those books

Christina Saldivia
Sep 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Position
a. The only influence you have comes with Title. People follow you because they have to.
i. The boss drives his workers; the leader coaches them
ii. The boss depends on authority; the leader on goodwill
iii. The boss says "I"; the leader "we"
iv. The boss fixes the blame for the breakdown; the leader fixes the breakdown
v. The boss knows how it is done: the leader shows how
vi. The boss says "Go"; the leader says "lets go"
2. Permission
a. This is the Relationship Level. Lead by in
Omar Halabieh
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Below are key excerpts from the book that I found particularly insightful:

1- "Leadership is developed, not discovered. The truly "born leader" will always emerge; but, to stay on top, natural leadership characteristics must be developed. In working with thousands of people desirous of becoming leaders, I have discovered they all fit in one of four categories or levels of leadership: The Leading Leader...The Learned Leader...The Latent Leader..The Limited Leader."

2- "Manag
Mary Bellus
Oct 17, 2010 rated it did not like it
I was asked to read this book for work, so I trudged through it, otherwise I would have tossed it by about the halfway point.

I feel like this book could be condensed into one chapter of simple tips and advice. The rest of it reads like a compilation of quotes, excerpts, and illustrations (especially from the Peanuts comic strip, which seems to be John Maxwell’s favorite). There’s very little of the author’s own experiences in leading people, and when he does relate a story from his e
John
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
I feel great ambivalence towards this book. I was swept up by the first third of it. By the middle I was harboring some nagging doubts. By the end I was seriously irked.

Let me start out by saying that there is, in fact, a great deal of valuable content within these pages, and I don't want to throw out the baby with the bath water. But it's a small baby in a big bath. The problem is not that Maxwell doesn't offer useful, pragmatic insights into leadership; he does. It's not that he do
Philip Meinel
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
"20 percent of your priorities will give you 80 percent of your production"

"Efficiency is the foundation for survival. Effectiveness is the foundation of success."

“Integrity binds our person together and fosters a spirit of contentment within us. It will not allow our lips to violate our hearts.”

“I believe that every right implies a responsibility; every opportunity, an obligation; every possession, a duty.” –John D. Rockefeller, Jr.

“Image is what
Aline
I finished it and instantly started reading it from the beginning again!

It's not only for leaders, it's also helpful for navigating your everyday life with more purpose.
I especially liked the chapters about self-dicipline and priorities.
Naomi
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of great information on leadership. This book was recommended to me in a job interview in a school district. The interviewer said they were planning on implementing some of the information in this book to the school setting to bring about personal growth in their teachers and in the student body as a whole. There are some excellent guidelines for teachers to follow and on of those is to remember that our students are human, with basic needs and desires. Educators need to focus on the whole ...more
Tamcamry
Mar 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
• This is actually the third time that I’ve read this particular book, and I’m sure that I will read it again in the future. This book is a must read for anyone who is in a position to influence people in any way. In my current job, my focus is to get people to see the value of the product my company sells and to effectively sell it for us. This book has reminded me of some of the most basic principles of influence that I may have forgotten. Because of the new context I bring to this reading of ...more
Deborah
Feb 12, 2008 rated it did not like it
I thought I would follow my first addition to goodreads (Poisonwood Bible) with a review of the book that is currently making me roll my eyes and scribble snarky comments in the margins. Might as well hit both ends of the spectrum, for there is little to recommend this book. Maxwell has a great command of Reader's Digest-type anecdotes. Unfortunately, and no matter how witty, they rarely support his argument. In fact, *he* rarely supports his argument and, as one person I know put it, seems inca ...more
Sam B
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
What little original work is in this book, and I assure you it is very little, is elementary at best and naive, feel-good, peddling more of his work at worst. I cannot and would not recommend this to anyone.

The only reason I gave it two stars is because he at least used some valuable quotes from other people.
Nick
Oct 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Pastors, managers, buisness owners
Shelves: leadership, own
Great book. Loads of practical material worth rereading and writing down. It is easy to read, and, while I know that some people complain that he uses a lot of illustrations and cites comics quite a bit, I think that these provide tangible material to remember and hold on to.
Steve Grotheer
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
great, easy read touching on all the key fundamentals of successful leadership. Includes lots of great anecdotes and stories to support the recommendations.
Breanna
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great! Worked through this as part of a 6 month class. Lots of steadfast basics but also some great unexpected points.
Natalie
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, may-2018
A powerful book about how to become an efficient, a true leader. A must-read book!
Chris Goyzueta
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book! Great book on leadership. I might get this as an audiobook for annual inspiration.
Adam
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is like Brian Tracy’s first book, it’s all the best information put into the most simple, straightforward manner, put very clearly. I’m really glad I read this. It had a number of things I want to go back to. Much of it is very obvious, but he has points to reflect on and develop, too, so very useful.
Elizabeth
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: work
This was a tough one for me to get through. It's essentially 200 pages of business clichés, parables and anecdotes, peppered with helpful and useful information and heavy doses of straight-up common sense.

There's some interesting workbook-style things to do, graphs, charts, and pretty poems. I did appreciate the call-outs on most of the pages to help tie it all back together, as some of the parables can start to ramble and you start to lose the core concept behind the story.
Nick
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An excellent guide for self development of leadership and your staff. John C. Maxwell's years of leadership experience have allowed him to distill salient leadership traits and methods for development into this very straight forward and easy to follow manual. A great read for leaders new and old. I really appreciate his focus on the people and the leader as a servant to success. His chapters on self discipline and staff development are the key to becoming a successful leader. In my opinion this should be ...more
Matthew
Jan 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
It's been almost 20 years since I read this book, so I figured it was time to revisit this classic. I did, and I was pleased to see that I had incorporated many of the ideas found within, and yet also challenged to continue to work hard at self-leadership.

Some of the quotes that I loved from this book are...

"Leadership is influence"

"He who thinketh he leadeth and hath no one following him is only taking a walk"

"A leader is great, not because of his or her pow
Sharon Joag
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great read, especially if you are working in an organizational hierarchy, or a small business.
Motivational & Inspiring.
I took lots of notes while reading.
I love Maxwell's use of quotes throughout this book!
Love this author, and will definitely read more of his books!
Bade
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Quick read. Audiobook (on Soundcloud) is just 2.5 hours. This is, surprisingly, a fantastic book. Content not as corny as the title sounds. Every word is like an espresso. Useful in all spheres of life. Will be rereading this monthly.
Kelly Murray
Jul 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Though leadership isn't a quality I think I naturally possess, who says it can't be developed? Good stuff. People can't follow someone who doesn't know where they're going, and this book helps clarify what one needs to do in order to manage one's self first before taking on others.
Daniel Osborne
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Developing the Leader Within You by John C. Maxwell

To the point, direct, with questions that probe, inspire introspection, and cause personal identification of strengths, weaknesses, and character. I found myself highlighting good material throughout.

The style is inviting, while deceptively hard-hitting. Not necessarily a page turner in the beginning, but it picked up a solid head of steam towards the end.

The book feels open-ended, and expectedly so, considering the brea
George P.
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
John Maxwell first published Developing the Leader within You in 1992, when he was pastor of Skyline Church in San Diego. (He has since gone on to become a New York Times bestselling author and leadership expert.) The book chronicled the lessons about leadership Maxwell had learned to that point in nearly 25 years of ministry and memorably defined leadership as “influence.”

Now, in time for its 25th anniversary, Maxwell has extensively revised this volume for a new generation of leaders.

“My
Caleb
I encountered this book early in my process of amping up my personal/professional development. It put forward a range of axioms around leadership which while not ground breaking are everything you need to create a solid foundation to build on. The book is excellent as a check in around where your strength are, what your could be doing better, and where you need to focus develop.

If you want something ground breaking or with gravitas you should look elsewhere. A book like this can be written a nu
Jaroslav Vašák
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it
It is a good book. It teaches you how to be a leader in the same way when you read the manual to the cabinet. No, I'm exaggerating, the book is much more readable than that, but the feeling is the same.

By reading the book you will get a lot of information about how the right leader should think, look and act. During the reading, you can take a pen and write down notes if you are meeting the requirements of a great, average or poor leader. To which category do you fit in? Will it help
Dareth McKenna
I was disappointed with this. I had a lot of people talk it up to me so maybe I was expecting too much. It seemed like a lot of anecdotes and name-dropping, to the point that I did not come away with a clear framework in my head like I have with other books that people at work have recommended to me (7 Habits of Highly Effective People, Crucial Conversations, Four Disciplines of Execution, Five Dysfunctions of a Team, The Ideal Team Player, etc). I think I will keep looking for the "definitive b ...more
Sreekanth
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
It's really good to know what are the things a leader should possess and the tips to cultivate them. the book which i read earlier( becoming a people's person) was quite different to this. i thought it is not good enough to get me where i want. however, its wonderful. the very important thing is to remembering all these things . so i make digital notes so that it comes to handy to refer.

And yes, this is the book i can say a above basic to know about leadership. i say go and give it a read. some
Kelley
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I think I found this at the thrift store. It will be going back soon. There was lots of interesting and motivating things in here. I jotted down some points, saying etc. This one didn't speak to me necessarily. I think there are SO many self-help books out there on the same topic and they all essentially say the same thing. So finding one or more that really speak to me is key. This wasn't one of them.
I will note that I was shocked at the amount of spelling and grammatical errors in this b
BewareTheWildAnimals
This book is so full of fabulous nuggets for growth! Unfortunately, I chose to listen to this book on audio. Audio would be a great option AFTER you have read its pages, used as a refresher. You will want to read this book first because there is so much information that needs to be seen and highlighted to begin to comprehend it all. Read this book with multiple pens in hand and possibly a journal if you keep track of useful tips. As Maxwell goes through the book, he offers up point after point t ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Case Studies 1 3 Apr 02, 2018 02:42AM

• Visioneering: God's Blueprint for Developing and Maintaining Personal Vision
  • Leadership: Tidbits and Treasures
  • Flipping the Switch...: Unleash the Power of Personal Accountability Using the Qbq!
  • The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)
  • The One-Life Solution: Reclaim Your Personal Life While Achieving Greater Professional Success
  • Business By The Book: Complete Guide of Biblical Principles for the Workplace
  • Freedom Shift: 3 Choices to Reclaim America's Destiny
  • How to Have Confidence and Power in Dealing with People
  • Gung Ho!
  • The Top Ten Mistakes Leaders Make
  • The Ant and the Elephant: Leadership for the Self: A Parable and 5-Step Action Plan to Transform Workplace Performance
  • Lincoln on Leadership: Executive Strategies for Tough Times
John C. Maxwell is an internationally recognized leadership expert, speaker, and author who has sold over 16 million books. His organizations have trained more than 2 million leaders worldwide. Dr. Maxwell is the founder of EQUIP and INJOY Stewardship Services. Every year he speaks to Fortune 500 companies, international government leaders, and audiences as diverse as the United States Military Ac ...more
“Poem by Howard A. Walter (Character)

I would be true, for there are those who trust me;
I would be pure, for there are those who care;
I would be strong, for there are those who suffer;
I would be brave, for there is much to dare.
I would be friend of all--- the foe, the friendless;
I would be giving, and forget the gift;
I would be humble, for I know my weakness;
I would look up, and laugh, and love, and lift.”
211 likes
“There was a very cautious man
Who never laughed or played
He never risked, he never tried,
He never sang or prayed.
And when he on day passed away,
His insurance was denied,
For since he never really lived,
They claimed he never really died.

(Anonymous poem)”