Start by marking “Little Blue and Little Yellow” as Want to Read:
Little Blue and Little Yellow

Little Blue and Little Yellow

Little blue and little yellow share wonderful adventures. One day, they can't find one another. When they finally meet, they are overjoyed. They hug until they become green. But where did little blue and little yellow go? Are they lost?
Published April 4th 1996 by Harpercollins Childrens Books (first published 1959)

Start your review of Little Blue and Little Yellow
Jon Nakapalau
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Two colors form another color - but will they be accepted by 'their' colors? Beautiful book that is an abstract fable of inclusion.
Plch
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, favorites
My husband was really perplexed after reading this book, what was all about? Unexpectedly (for him) our children, like almost any other children, just love it and, of course, want to hear it and to repeat it over and over.
My oldest now says he's little blue and his best friend of the moment, who kisses him all the time, is little yellow. Pity that little blue has not a little brother because my youngest couldn't but chose little red and little red doesn't get much action.
April Thompson
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Give a girl a children's art book and you make her smile. Big.
Irma L. Munoz
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I think this book is great for beginner readers. It's a great way to incorporate art into reading. I got a chance to see my mentor use this book for a lesson. After reading this to her kindergarten class, students were able to recreate the story by using their water colors. With a venn diagram, students painted a circle yellow and the other circle blue. When students got to the center of the venn diagram they were able to see how blue and yellow made green when combined. It's an awesome way to ...more
Fjóla
My son (3 1/2) used to ask me these questions about the colors constantly, and almost obsessively. And most of them I could not answer. "What happens when you mix orange and silver? What about brown and purple? What does blue and black make??" When we saw this book at the library, I'm sure he thought: "Finally, I'll get the answers to ALL my questions." In any case, when you mix yellow and blue, you end up with green, and that's the topic of this book. There's an emotional twist to it as well. ...more
David Schaafsma
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
I am sure I read this a long time ago, as I would have read a lot of Lionni books, but this one is here, kiddos are reading it, and so I read it again. I like it a lot. It's very simple, just dabs of bright color to tell a story. I am not sure what it means that the two kids--one blue, the other yellow--becoming green together, become unrecognizable to their parents suddenly, but the kids all liked it. Don't over think it, Dave.
Gretchen
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Little Blue and Little Yellow by Leo Lionni
Little Blue and Little Yellow are best friends. One day, Mama Blue goes out shopping and tells Little Blue to stay at home. Instead, Little Blue goes out to find Little Yellow to play. When they found each other, Little Blue and Little Yellow hugged. They hugged each other until they were green! When they came home, their parents did not recognize them because they were green instead of blue or yellow. Little Blue and Little Yellow were very sad and cried and cried until they were all tears.
Jack
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: k-g-4, racial-justice
Little Blue and Little Yellow a New York Times Best Illustrated Children's Book of the Year, 1959

A simple but carefully crafted story about how children of various colors live together and have abiding friendships. This was amazing in that it was originally published in 1959.

"Leo Lionni, an internationally known designer, illustrator, and graphic artist, was born in Holland and lived in Italy until he came to the United States in 1939. He was the recipient of the 1984 American Institute of
Wendy
Jun 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: preschoolers, children of mixed racial background, children in diverse communities
Shelves: for-your-kids
This is not my favorite storytime book, because the pictures are pretty abstract. In my experience, some kids think there is some detail they are missing, so they come sit on my feet - or stand up in front of the other kids - to get a better look.

However.

If you want to share a story about accepting one another's differences, even and especially in the face of adversity; not judging someone based on their appearance/making new friends; trying new things; concepts of color (particularly blue +
Tiff
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
What a sweet little book. I heard about this book from Andrea Cheng’s Year of the Book. Definitely a read for children of all ages (especially as it would be a mother reading to a toddler if the child still doesn’t read yet)…The books makes me feel fuzzy, sweet, and loved. Those are the best books ever always! This story is about little blue and little yellow, just as the title says. Its so simple and adorable. Little blue and little yellow are friends and one day they seem to miss each other ...more
Dagmar
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really like Leo Lionni. For those who are critical of the book, maybe they're asking or expecting a little too much from this book. In my opinion, this is sweet book about friendship and family. It uses color mixing, yes, but I don't see this as the point of the book or even a great teaching book. Like another reviewer, I don't see the connection to diversity.

It's just a nice preschool book that young children can relate to and can enjoy. There is pre-school level suspense when little blue
stephanie sam
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was read this book when I was younger and it is so magical and makes you smile. I love this book because it opens a wholenother world of art and colors and brings magic to the reader. I would recommend this book to anyone that is obsessed with colors this is really great and the story behind it..... perfection!
Anna
This is Leo Lionni's best work, in my opinion. Memorable and minimalist, but with a story children will love as much as they will love seeing how blue and yellow combine to make green. Where "Alexander and the Wind-Up Mouse" is a bit out there and "Frederick" poeticizes, "Little Blue and Little Yellow" strikes a chord of simplicity that is pure perfection.
Heidi-Marie
Well, I liked the illustrations. I loved how they were so simple. And that I could have drawn them myself! But I think a young child would definitely follow. Plus it leaves plenty of room for imagination to take over. The story wasn't too bad either. But the whole "became green" thing seemed a little odd to me. I know it's me, but still. Odd.
Codie Gates
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
In this book, Little Blue and Little Yellow share a harmless hug and turn into......GREEN! Their parents are upset until the little dots show them that it is ok.

I think this book is a symbol for diversity. I would use it in any grade level to address diversity issues.
TRAM School
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Once there were three blues, and three yellows. Near the end blue and yellow make green. The friends feel happy together.

- A (5yrs)
Ro Menendez
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully fun story about friendship and color mixing. Many opportunities for acting out portions of the story make this book a read aloud that young readers will love!
Maryam Fiaz
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: colours, friendship
Very clever way of creating a story. Essentially the characters are blobs of colour but you end up forgetting that and see them as any other character in a story.
Karen
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dad, mom, jacob, ellie
Dad read this to us. Another cute book by this author..krb 12/1/16
Diane
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"They hugged each other until they were green."
Christine Stephens-volante
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
‘Little blue and little yellow’, by Leo Lionni, is a children’s picture book, aimed at young children, from Nursery, Reception, up to Year 2. (I think it is also the sort of book older children will turn to for comfort, as an enjoyable old friend. Have it in the shelves in your classroom and see how many older children turn to it for a little relaxing read during free time!)

Delightful simple pages where the characters, a group of children, are presented with blobs of rainbow colours, playing
Hlee Moua
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leo-lionni
Little Blue and Little Yellow book is about two friends that love to be around one another. They have many friends and this book show the adventures that Little Blue and Little Yellow have together. I thought that this book was interesting because it touches three kinds of the learning domains; they are Social, Emotional and Creative. This books pinpoint the social domains because the author mentions about Little Blue's friends and his best friend Little Yellow. It also reads about how all the ...more
Tristian Paulson
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Elisabeth
Feb 01, 2013 rated it liked it
I know this is a classic, but I had never read it. I requested this book because I thought it might be good to add to our choices for "art/colors/painting" in storytime. I appreciated what the book was trying to do, but didn't think it would work for our purposes. I accidentally brought it home instead of sending it back and my 4 year old wanted to read it. I thought it was quite outdated and kind of weird (it's 50 years old) and didn't think he'd like it much. He actually really enjoyed it! He ...more
Ashley Weigand
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the story of little blue and his friend little yellow accidently joining together and becoming green. I would recommend this book to kindergarteners and 1st graders. The story teaches colors and color combinations. Little blue and little yellow's friendship is something that children will all be able to relate to. It is a very cute story and presents colors in a unique way that has never been seen before.
CamryWagon
May 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: c-childrens
This was the first book that I ever checked out from the public library. I believe I may have been four or five years old. It became a favorite, and I recall checking it out a few times.

As a child, I simply thought this was a very touching story. It was somewhat reassuring; just about all children fear being lost. As an adult, it's easy to attach a multi-cultural message to the story, but I'm not convinced that any such thing was the author's intent.
Liz
Jul 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Love reading this to my younger students when doing color mixing.
Meredith
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it
In 2015, two days after taking office, the newly elected conservative mayor of Venice, Italy, banned this and 48 other picture books from city primary schools due to content that undermines the "traditional family." While other books on the list positively depict non-traditional families and non-traditional gender roles or openly discuss homosexuality and divorce, the reason behind objection to this book was unclear to me. What could possibly be so subversive about two primary colors combining ...more
Emily
Leo Lionni's first children's picture book, according to his autobiography, was inspired by a train trip he took with his grandchildren, which involved telling a story to them with torn pieces of a colorful Life magazine ad to play all the characters. Like that story, this one uses imagination and color theory to cook up a charming little story about two friends, one blue, one yellow. How true that when blue and yellow get together, they often turn green. How true, that when friends get ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Review 'Little blue and little yellow 1 3 Sep 07, 2014 01:06PM

• It Looked Like Spilt Milk
  • We're Going on a Bear Hunt
  • Plant a Kiss
  • Press Here
  • LMNO Peas
  • Go Away, Big Green Monster!
  • Freight Train
  • Good Night, Sleep Tight
Leo Lionni wrote and illustrated more than 40 highly acclaimed children's books. He received the 1984 American Institute of Graphic Arts Gold Medal and was a four-time Caldecott Honor Winner--for Inch by Inch, Frederick, Swimmy, and Alexander and the Wind-Up Mouse. Leo Lionni died in October of 1999 at his home in Tuscany, Italy, at the age of 89.

Leo Lionni has gained international renown for his