Start by marking “My Island Homicide” as Want to Read:
My Island Homicide

My Island Homicide

Winner of the 2012 Queensland Literary Award for Best Emerging Author

'My Island Homicide is a juicy mix of romance and murder...it has a freshness and a joie de vivre...that will attract a lot of readers.' Sun Herald

When Thea takes the job as Officer in Charge of the Thursday Island police station, she has no idea that her desire to start anew and return to her mother's Is
Published May 1st 2014 by University of Queensland Pr (Australia) (first published August 21st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about My Island Homicide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Island Homicide

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: catchup
Really enjoyed this, a great combination of mystery and romance, and a unique physical and cultural setting.
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘I wanted to cry, but it wouldn’t look good – the new boss crying on her first day of work, April Fools’ Day, no less.’

Thea Dari-Jones, forty and single, takes over as the Officer in Charge of the Thursday Island Police Station on April Fools’ Day. She’s dreaming of a relaxed lifestyle: after all, her research has shown that there is not a lot of crime on the island. Thea has ties to Thursday Island (TI): her mother was a local, and she’s keen to know more about the island and its people.
But the
Pauline
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
More, please.
Karen
Sep 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: australian, crime, ebook
I love fiction that's set in remote communities, that's obviously written with great affection and experience of those communities - albeit with an outsider's viewpoint. It's obvious that this author has a close connection with, and affection for TI and it's people and the way that the community functions.

Starting out as an interesting police procedural, with a tropical pace and feel to it, Thea's first case is the murder of a white woman, married to a local man. This lands her immediately in th
Chris Williams
Sep 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
My Island Homicide is an easy read, the kind of story that makes you smile and envy the easy way of life at the top end of Australia. I guess it helped my understanding of Catherine’s story to have spent some time on Thursday Island (known as TI) and with the beautiful, happy, life-loving people of the Torres Strait Islands. The story concerns a police woman, Ebithea, who has spent most of her life in Queensland, 20 years in the force, and, even though her Mother hails from the Islands, the plac ...more
Maree Kimberley
Apr 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: aww2016
My Island Homicide is a fast-paced and entertaining read set on Thursday Island that blends crime, romance, island intrigue and Torres Strait culture. Thea has arrived on TI to take on the role of police chief and to reconnect with family roots. She's also removed herself as far as possible from a failed relationship on the mainland. In Thea, Titasey has created an engaging character with intelligence and humour, who tackles the unusual case of murder on the small community with determination wh ...more
Irene Waters
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable light read. The story is of an aboriginal policeman taking on the chief of police role on Thursday Island. Immediately murder and fraud rears its head and a bit of love and witch doctory thrown into the mix. The broken English was fascinating to me as being a Bislama speaker (Vanuatu's form of pidgin English) I found that there were huge similarities. The conversational voice of Thea told the story as though talking to a friend. It was not a literary masterpiece but certain ...more
Libby
Jan 10, 2015 rated it liked it
You had me at Island. I love reading about remote communities, especially beautiful sea country like Thursday Island. This was an easy book to read and enjoy - I liked Thea and her hardness, but just wish she didn't lose all of her marbles at the sight of a sexy local island man. The love story was sweet but I enjoyed the murder story better and wished it delved deeper into that.
Heather Mcleod
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable story that depicts contemporary society and culture on TI through the eyes of a newcomer especially well. The use of broken English enabled the reader to feel part of the setting and the Australian converational style of writing appealed to my taste in literature.

Loved the romance too.

Phil
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
I apologize to the author for the rating. I tried to like it but the many story telling issues got in the way. Potentially a good story, I felt it needed much more work and time in the editorial process before publication.
Lauredhel
Really enjoyable murder-mystery set on Thursday Island. Content notes for (view spoiler). And murder, obviously.
Meg Vann
It's the Thursday Island version of #1 Ladies Detective Agency, but sexier. I love this debut author unearthed through the Queensland Literary Awards, and hope these characters show up again in a sequel!
Caroline
Nov 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great story (and not just because we used to live on TI)had to keep reading when I should've been doing other things! Pretty good portrayal of life on Thursday Island, but scary that we used to live on Summers Street!
Michele
Dec 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book!
Interesting life on Thursday Island both cultural as well as present day Well deserving of the Prize
Chris Versace
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Refreshing take on murder mystery genre, set on Thursday Island. Likeable characters and really enjoyed the detailed descriptions of island life. Hope there is a sequel coming.
Melanie McKissock
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book - the combination of a mystery, a romance between two likeable characters and an exotic setting made for a fun, holiday read.
Barbara
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
looking forward to the next in the series . It has to be a series .
Natalia
Sep 21, 2015 rated it liked it
The story didn't hook me in and the characters aren't memorable. There's more telling than showing.
Michael Sanderson-green
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lovely book set on Thursday island great insight into island life and it's culture woven into the murder story. I would have liked more description of place. Really worth a read .
Kristie Saumure
Nov 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nice light and easy read. Particularly enjoyed learning more about the culture of Torres Strait Islanders.
Margaret Fullarton
Jul 01, 2018
Jessica
Oct 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
“behaving like Europeans. Or if they are studying and encounter an obstacle, like needing money or failing an assignment, they often give up. When I was studying, I saw white people” 0 likes
“living hand to mouth and working two or three jobs to keep studying. That’s what happens.” 0 likes