Start by marking “My Teacher Is a Monster! (No, I Am Not.)” as Want to Read:
My Teacher Is a Monster! (No, I Am Not.)

My Teacher Is a Monster! (No, I Am Not.)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  3,361 Ratings  ·  459 Reviews
Bobby has a problem.

You see, his teacher is a monster.

But when Bobby runs into his teacher outside of school, he learns there is more to her than meets the eye.
Published July 1st 2014 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about My Teacher Is a Monster!, please sign up.

Andréa Goodreads is not a site to read books, it's a site to track the books you've read or want to read. However, there are usually links on each book page…moreGoodreads is not a site to read books, it's a site to track the books you've read or want to read. However, there are usually links on each book page to places where you can purchase or borrow each book, including Amazon.com, BarnesAndNoble.com, and your local library.(less)

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)
OMG. I need this, and here's why : Along the years I realized that in my students' mind, I didn't really belong in the 'real' world. WHY?

1) Each time I bump into one of them at the supermarket (or anywhere else, really) their faces take a stunned expression along with a complete unability to speak.

That's what I call the "OMG MY TEACHER EATS TOO!!!" syndrome.

2) Many of their remarks imply that a)I kinda sleep at school, b)I can rate their papers while I'm teaching them/sleeping/driving, c)I kno
Molly
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Aww ... teachers are people too!

Rating, 4 stars.

Bobby's teacher Ms. Kirby is a monster ...

description

I liked this Peter Brown's book better than Mr. Tiger Goes Wild.
It was nice to see how Bobby's perception of his teacher (after meeting her outside the classroom) went from this...

to this...

just in a few hours.
Barbara
Students often consider their teachers to be monsters. They doubt that they could possibly have lives outside of the classroom or that they could be fun at all. In clever fashion, this picture book depicts Ms. Kirby, Robert's teacher, as rather beastly in how she conducts her classroom every day. The illustrations even show her with green skin, fangs, and knotted hair. But when he happens to meet her outside of the classroom in a park, he sees that she is not what he thinks she is. In fact, she ...more
Edward Sullivan
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Bobby realizes that teachers, even his, are people too. Monstrously entertaining.
Katie Lalor
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A must read at the beginning of the school year! It gives students a perspective of the teacher in and outside of the classroom. Also, it is very simple, and it gives good humor!
Linda
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Peter Brown does it again. He has created an ingenious book with wonderful illustrations. I can't wait to use this for storytime.
Samantha
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The evolution of a teacher--child relationship from monster vs. troublemaker to two people who enjoy paper airplanes (in the right setting, of course).

This is a great book because it's relatable and funny AND it makes you think. I like the way the chance meeting in the park between supposed enemies is awkward for both people and how kids get a sense of that too from the artwork. I like the subtle changes in Ms. Kirby as she morphs from a monster into your average teacher. It's gradual and genius
Megan
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another funny one- my students will love it! But.. a great message too about perspective.
Ayşe Saruhan
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kitabın sonuna doğru öğretmenin normal rengine dönmesi içimi rahatlattı 😁 :)
Schae Amarah
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My Teacher Is a Monster is the perfect book for any young school-goer who may not quite see eye-to-eye with their class teacher. Let's face it, school life is not always peachy for all sorts of reasons, least of all having a horrible teacher! This short tale hits the nail on the head in that respect, but what's great about Brown's work is the ease with which the story flows, and how the beauty of the relationship between Bobby and his monster teacher unfolds through appropriate content, and lang ...more
The Styling Librarian
My Teacher is a Monster (No I’m Not) by Peter Brown – All Ages – Just loved this book. Think it is quite touching and draws readers to that idea of seeing a teacher outside the school environment. I always laugh when I get the big eyes from students who don’t quite know what to say to me outside of the school. Not certain that they all know I’m a regular human and don’t live at the school… (This hasn’t occurred as much since my son began attending the schools I teach at.) Quite fun and touching, ...more
Huda
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: en-pic-books
لطالما تفكرت في معلماتي خارج نطاق الدراسة! كثيرًا ما كان مستحيلاً تخيل إحداهن تعلو وجهها ابتسامة. هذا الكتاب يتناول ذات الفكرة برسوم جميلة ذكية. من المسؤول عن مثل هذه التساؤلات؟ الطالب بريء بالتأكيد ؛)
Beth Honeycutt
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Several MS/HS teachers suggested this as a read aloud on a recent Nerdy Book Club post. I may give it a try on the first day of school!
Sarah Levy
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
How in the world have I not read this book yet?! A hilarious and fun tale about a boy & his teacher. I adore Peter Brown's dedication: "To misunderstood teachers and their misunderstood students."
Lauren
Feb 26, 2017 added it
For this comic it was a very well put and a great story for kids learning not to judge someone by what they appear to see someone as. The plot of this story is a kid named Bobby who doesn’t have the best experience with his teacher Ms. Kirby. In the first couple of pages she has imaged as a green ugly monster by her student Robert as she addresses him. But, throughout the story you see changes in his views of Ms. Kirby and who she really is. Reading this comic book was very good example for teac ...more
Jason
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I like the idea of a monster BUUUUT just why the hair on Bobby's Head

The above comment is by my son :)
Olivia Tosti
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Something I hope to not appear like! A lovely story to read to children before school or moving up classes!
Rachel Showalter
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bobby is a student in school with a monster for a teacher. However, when they run into each outside of school, bobby quickly realizes that his teacher may just be another person like him.
One of the literary elements that in “My Teacher is a Monster!” is the theme. The theme that I got from the book was to not judge other people. For example, once Bobby got to know his teacher more and more, Bobby started to like her more. Even with the images, the teacher slowly turns into a human more and more
Stefanie Burns
Cute story about a boy who thinks his teacher is mean. Then they have an unplanned meeting one day and he saves her hat from a wind gust. They spend some time together and enjoy each other's company. Back at school, Bobby might have a change of heart. He may really think Mrs. Kirby is not a monster.

The simple illustrations with white background are effective. The story vaguely reminds me of Miss Viola swamp. I think kids will get a kick out of seeing the monster change into a normal lady near th
Linda
I was picking up some other books, and fortunately found this one at the library. Like others have said, the story shows great knowledge of what some kids think about their teachers, especially at the beginning of the school year. I remember my son saying something like, “Mrs. __________ is a lot nicer now than she was.” In this story, Bobby’s teacher roars at him when he throws paper airplanes in the classroom, but a surprise meeting in the park means a different experience with Ms. Kirby, and ...more
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a funny book about perspectives. Someone sometimes might act “horrible” in some instances, but once you get to know them, they might actually be nice or not what you originally thought. It’s a good lesson for kids and the story is fun, not “preachy.” I really enjoy the illustrations. They’re fun to look at. I like how they gradually show the change in Ms. Kirby (from monster to human). I think all kids have felt at some point that their teacher is a monster (of course if ANY of my curren ...more
Vang Xiong
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What I like most about this book has got to be the gradual change in the way in which the main character, Booby, perceives his teacher. At first, Bobby only sees his teacher as a monster. Then as he got to know his teacher on a personal level, the actually illustration of his teacher changes from a drawing of a monster to a human. As an aspiring teacher, I can resonate with the message of this book. Teachers can be a little intimating, but once a relationship is built, students come to know why ...more
Margie
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'll wager that most of us have teachers in our lives who are memorable for one reason or another. I'll even go so far as to say some might have thought their teachers downright dreadful. (My teachers were all wonderful. Maybe that's why I wanted to become one myself.) My Teacher Is a Monster! (No, I Am Not.) (Little, Brown and Company) written and illustrated by Peter Brown acquaints readers with Bobby's teacher who most definitely looks like a monster...a big cranky green monster.

My full revie
Sheri Levasseur
Teachers, get out your monster teacher voice!

This is my top pick for humorous ice-breaker read-aloud for that first week of school...perfect for K-2, but funny enough to keep 3-4 completely engaged.

Brown's illustrations and simple dialog, once again, tell a story kids will relate to while giggling all the way through. The ending offers a surprise and a thought-provoking question all students might ask themselves...and to NOT judge a book (or a teacher) by its cover. LOVE this book.
Kristine Hansen
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
A book that finally tackles that whole weird thing of seeing your teacher outside of school. I mean seriously, what's up with that?

Most every kid has had a "monster" teacher at some point in their life. This funny little book that's actually pretty cool tackles that whole topic with humor and creativity. I do love how the picture of the teacher changes throughout the book. Loved reading this one!
Mary
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a very endearing book about a boy who, upon encountering his "monster of a teacher" in the park one Saturday, discovers she's really not a monster. Their mutual discomfort at seeing each other outside of the classroom is pretty funny. Readers will notice the monster teacher's physical features gradually changing for the better as the young boy realizes that she's not so bad after all.
Mary
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, school
Bobby is having teacher problems at school. His teacher Ms. Kirby is a real monster with a roaring voice, green skin, and claws. One day at the park, Bobby begins to see her in a different light. This is a beautifully detailed picture book about false perceptions and misunderstandings that will be appreciated by students (and former students) of all ages.
Lizzie
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Delightful read out loud. Impressive how Ms. Kirby morphs so slowly that I didn't even notice. Bobby's got this great Dennis-the-Menace expression and an Alfalfa hairdo going on that adds a lot of humor.
Whitney Rachel
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A delightful read! I'm particularly fond of Ms. Kirby's metamorphosis. I think people might complain that there's not enough text and maybe too much dialogue, but I think that's what makes this book work so well. The dialogue coupled with the illustrations earns this one five stars from me!

Donna
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
#bookadaychallenge Great concept - teachers are human too! Would be a great read-aloud paired with My Teacher's Secret Life at the beginning of the school year!
  • Buddy and the Bunnies: In Don't Play with Your Food
  • The Baby Tree
  • Flight School
  • Louise Loves Art
  • The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend

Peter Brown is an American writer and illustrator who is best known for children's picture books.

"Peter has always loved telling stories. Growing up in New Jersey, he told stories by drawing whimsical characters and scenes from his imagination. Then, as a teenager, he fell
More about Peter Brown...