Start by marking “The Red Men” as Want to Read:
The Red Men

The Red Men

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Sumptuously written, with prose that glitters with a dark lustre like a Damien Hirst fly collage. Intricately plotted, and a satirical point as sharp and accurate as the scalpel of a brain surgeon: De Abaitua operates on the smiling face of the present to reveal the grimacing skull of the future.' Will Self

A police helicopter hovers above Hackney. Snipers surround a house
Published June 13th 2013 by Gollancz (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Red Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Red Men

Jason
This is the book we optioned. Excellent read and a smart book. SciFi mixed with a mid-life crisis. I've read it so many times I know it like the back of my hand now. And it's really funny to boot.

..but I would say that wouldn't I - we bought it.
Tim Pendry
Mar 23, 2008 Tim Pendry rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: horror
A superior gnostic sci-fi horror which weaves the anomie of modern corporate man and a satire on the world of business gurudom with chaos magick and a dark seam of esoteric horror.

There are shades of J. G Ballard here and, if you can get past the knowing comic writing that is now de rigueur in any post-modern science fiction that deals with inner rather than outer space, there is something important being said about the way our minds and perceptions are being changed by the new technologies.

Li
Melissa
“Yesterday we discussed how I am an artificial intelligence sent from the future who has unconsciously created a terrible enemy to evolve against. Today, we discuss my relationship with your laundry. Your company is a cavalcade of surprises, Nelson.”

I don't know why my review-writing brain has deserted me. I've been trying all day to come up with something profound to say about this excellent, hilarious book & nothing is clicking for me. Hurry back, words of mine! In the meantime, just read
Shawn Davies
Near future Sci-Fi offers us the ability to reflect our own times and Matthew De Abaitua does that brilliantly with The Red Men. What better devices for metaphor than the avatars displayed in this tale of corporate greed, runaway technology and human frailty. He uses Technology as a mirror of our worse selves and our ultimate master, much to our own detriment.

What De Abaituna does really well though is delineate the domestic and the personal with the corporate and technological. Some of his pith
Janos Honkonen
Red Men was an awesome read, both as a sci-fi and as a literary experience. The story is a fascinating mix of corporate culture, pop-occult, themes of artificial consciousness and virtual worlds, Philip K. Dickian reality bending and interesting milieus and characterizations. The Kindle version of the book has some 13 000 words trimmed out, and apparently the more elaborate literary flourishes got the boot, which makes the text flow while feeling still rich and evocative. I picked up Red Men wit ...more
Andy Theyers
Wonderfully inventive speculative fiction. More grounded than Jeff Noon, but in that same near future where the advancement of science is as much about the inside of our heads as it is about the outside world.
Vuk Trifkovic
Excellent piece. The characters are great, the observations really sharp. Plot can be a bit rough in places, a bit rushed and confused. The SF bits are meh, but overall impression is still very good. I'm surprised it has not been more popular...
James Stewart
A pleasing, quick read written by someone who clearly knows my Hackney neighbourhood very well. I enjoyed the way the author played with gnostic concepts and the fact that it never quite resolved.
The Sample Reader
In a very general way, The Red Men puts me in mind of William Gibson. This is literary scifi with a strong sense of place–London, again–and a clear reflection of the contemporary. This really appeals to me, but not quite enough to force my hand–for now. It’s right at the top of my shopping list though.

Read the full ebook Sample Reader review here.
Kars
Starts out very strong with a scathing critique of contemporary tech mega corps. The red men concept is well conceived. The second section jarred me a bit by the introduction of Leto and his followers. It appears the author tried to do some high PKD style weirdness but it never really gels with the rest of the novel, at least for me. I was captivated though, a highly enjoyable read.
Val
This is a dystopia for the modern era with a fair bit of added humour. It could have perhaps done with a bit of polishing from a sympathetic editor, but it is still worth reading. I enjoyed it and would recommend it.
Lilla Smee
Another book that has to be officially and formally abandoned. I got a fair way through it - in fact I'm nearly at the end. But ultimately, I just don't care what happens to anyone.
Lib1191
Lib1191 marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Jarmo Annunen
Jarmo Annunen marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Vyv
Vyv marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Daniel Stephens
Daniel Stephens marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Guy
Guy marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Elicius Rowlands
Elicius Rowlands is currently reading it
Jan 30, 2015
Jughead
Jughead marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Steve Przybylski
Steve Przybylski marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Phil Johnson
Phil Johnson marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
  • Yellow Blue Tibia
  • Gemsigns (®Evolution, #1)
  • Wolves
  • The H-Bomb Girl
  • Code of the Lifemaker (Code of the Lifemaker, #1)
  • Pashazade
  • Fairyland
  • First Light (The Red #1)
  • How to Get People to Do Stuff: Master the Art and Science of Persuasion and Motivation
  • Starbridge (Starbridge, #1)
  • Judge Dredd: America
  • The Stories of Ibis
  • The Ragged Astronauts (Land and Overland Series, #1)
  • The Dark Beyond the Stars
  • The Touchstone Trilogy
  • Comedy Writing Secrets: The Best-Selling Book on How to Think Funny, Write Funny, Act Funny, And Get Paid For It
  • The Execution Channel
  • You Can't Make This Stuff Up: The Complete Guide to Writing Creative Nonfiction--from Memoir to Literary Journalism and Everything in Between
The Art of Camping: The History and Practice of Sleeping Under the Stars The Art of Camping: The History and Practice of Sleeping Under the Stars If Then The Idler's Companion: An Anthology of Lazy Literature The Idler's Companion: An Anthology of Lazy Literature

“He was smoking his joint now, and it was having no effect upon him.” 0 likes
“Selling out had never been a problem before because no one had wanted to buy. Why are we kneecapping ourselves with artistic principles when we are yet to produce any art?” 0 likes