Start by marking “Killer Instinct (Killer Instinct, #1)” as Want to Read:
Killer Instinct (Killer Instinct, #1)

Killer Instinct

(Killer Instinct #1)

She’s not evil, but she has certain... urges.

Lane is a typical teenager. Loving family. Good grades. Afterschool job at the local animal hospital. Martial arts enthusiast. But her secret obsession is studying serial killers. She understands them, knows what makes them tick.

Why?

Because she might be one herself.

Lane channels her dark impulses by hunting criminals—delivering
Published May 6th 2014 by Simon Pulse (first published January 1st 2014)

Stolen Songbird by Danielle L. JensenThe Young Elites by Marie LuThe Murder Complex by Lindsay CummingsThe Iron Trial by Holly BlackSnow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch
First In Series (2014)
682 books — 1,593 voters
YA Novels of 2014
1,550 books — 9,167 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
My sister’s a slut. It’s common knowledge she’s already had sex several times, and according to gossip she gives okay hand jobs but is excellent at fellatio.
This book is about a cold-hearted teenaged girl with serial-killer aspirations who has a sister who is a 15-year old whore-in-training. It is terrible. It is slightly better than the absolutely atrocious Dear Killer, but considering how bad Dear Killer was, it’s not saying much.

It’s like me saying, I’d rather sleep with 60-year old Arnold
Ben Alderson
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
OMG.
4.5

So, Initially I only picked this up to read because I am currently reading a heavy ( but amazing ) novel about Greek mythology. So I decided to read something for a break, something completely different.

WELL I DIDNT PUT THE BOOK DOWN, I HAVE FINISHED THIS BOOK IN TWO HOURS. I AM COMPLETELY HEAD OVER HEALS FOR THRILLERS NOW!

That ending, I did not see that coming. I thought the murderer was someone else, not who it turned out to be.... LoooooooooRD!

Looking forward to reading the next book
Giselle
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, ebook
Well poo! Where do I even start?

I guess at Lane. Her characterization felt as if it was based on a bullet point list. Let's build a serial killer, shall we?
-She has to be quiet. Check.
-She should show a lack of emotion, especially uncaring of romance and sex. Check.
-She should have a dark passenger an internal "kill" itch. Check.
-She should be awkward, blunt, and kind of an outsider. Check.
-She should have a hidden dark past. Check.

So ok, that's all things we "know" about her, but only be
Katie
Oct 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
Killer Instinct is one of those books that makes me wonder why I actually wasted my time finishing it. Sure it’s short at only 272 pages but even 272 pages is too much for this book. It started off promising but it all went downhill from there.

First off, Killer Instinct is the biggest rip off of Dexter. Never in my life have I read something so blatantly copying from something else. As I read Killer Instinct, scenes from season one of Dexter just kept popping into my head. And I haven’t seen sea
April
Feb 05, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Man, I have not been this disappointed with a book in a really long time. I just finished reading Killer Instinct by SE Green and I totally had Nick from New Girl face after closing the book. I know I probably should have DNFed it right after the main character calls her sister a slut, but I couldn’t do that because I was already 50 pages deep and the book is only 250 pages and for real, I just cannot let myself give up so early in the book. Do any of you have that problem, where you can’t quite ...more
jasmine
I'm not usually big on mysteries but woooooow that was intense
Blythe
Well, I kind of liked it. The main character is refreshing, when she's not slut-shaming (you guys, the slut-shaming is ROUGH), and I thought her perspective as well as the plot was mostly engaging. I had a mental list of all the suspects I had in mind and all the reasons I could come up with, and I love when a book can do that to me.

Full review to come.
Rayne
This book is a mix of I Hunt Killers and Dear Killer, except that I am insulting I Hunt Killers by even mentioning it in a review for this book (which says a lot, seeing as how I didn't exactly love that book in the first place), and that Killer Instinct accomplished the impressive feat of being even worse than Dear Killer.

This entire book was so patently absurd, so horrifyingly bad, I am considering this novel a torture device. This book is one of the worst-written pieces I've ever read, and i
Kristine
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
Original review can be found at http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/2...

I received an advanced readers copy of this book from Simon Pulse via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

Killer Instinct was an odd, dark and kind of weird book for me. I've read a lot of reviews saying that it is too much like Dexter and that fans will not like the book. Having never seen Dexter I went into the story with an open and unbiased mind. Did that help me enjoy the book more?? I don't k
Stacy
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Holy psychological thriller!

This book, from top to bottom, is nothing short of amazing. There is only one other book I can compare Killer Instinct to, The Killing Woods by Lucy Christopher, and even then Killer Instinct is completely different.

That difference is the voice. Lane has this incredible semi-detached emotional voice that makes you question so so many things.

There are other great things about Killer Instinct, but I be remiss if I spoiled. I think this is one best read with little det
Sarah Swann
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Finished this audiobook in one sitting! It was great to listen to while I cleaned my house for a party. I really enjoyed it. It definitely gave me some Dexter vibes, which is one of my favorite shows. I thought I had figured out the ending, but I was wrong! Love when that happens. I really enjoyed it and plan to read the second one as well.
Naoms
I won't go into how this is a glaring rip off of Dexter, because this is obvious (especially if you've seen season 1). I will not talk about the improbability of most of the situations that Lane finds herself in. No, all those things can be easily excused and pushed aside as "suspending disbelief" and questions like "well what did you expect when you read the synopsis?"

No. My review will focus on two weaknesses of this book. 1. How easily things fall into place and 2. How boring the main charact
Veronica Morfi
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I did not see that coming. It has been a while since I could not guess who the killer is in a book so for that alone I would have given this book 5 stars. On top of that this is all about serial killers and the main character is kind of - sort of - a serial killer in the making. I am really excited to see what will follow.
Kimberley Little
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2014
I am a sucker for a good thriller and KILLER INSTINCT does NOT disappoint! Non-stop action and thrills, along with great twists and turns - I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. Can't wait to own my very own hardcover in May - I adore the cover, too! Put this on your To-Read shelf and To-Buy shelf today. :-)
Joan
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book has kept me on the edge of my seat. I can't wait to see how it all plays out. Lane is an interesting character I want to understand. Ok, I am done now. Great book. I didn't think the killer was who it turned out to be. Wow what twists!
Lisa (A Life Bound By Books)
I don't even know what to say about this one. It's different because the character is obsessed with serial killers and she has her own dark urges. I knew I wanted to read it and didn't know what I'd think but it was very well written and the twists and danger mixed in with my own intrigue to what was going to happen on the next page kept me reading through to the end. Full review to follow on my blog - A life Bound By Books.
Amber
im kinda...disappointed. felt very underwhelmed and felt it was very similar to dexter. the rating my change at a later date after i think some more

edit: after realizing that it mentions being similar to dexter as it's selling point, i knocked a star off because I felt a lot of it was kinda a rip off of dexter.
Ryan Clark
Feb 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Initially I was like, "Hey cool, it's just like Dexter". Now that I've been thinking about it for a while, I'm like, "Uhh...you completely ripped off the first season of Dexter..." It's not a bad book, but the parallels between Lane and Dexter are a few too many. It's starting to feel less like a simple nod in Dex's direction, and more like the dreaded P-word...
Dylan
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was very surprised by this one.

I read this book in about 6 hours whist in a reading slump because I COULDN'T STOP READING, OMG.

This book definitely has it's problems, that's for sure. Kind of meh writing, TONS of slut shaming, and kinda too outlandish, but the ending left me SHOOK and I CANNOT wait to read the sequel.
Victoria (victoriashaz)
"Killer Instinct" is a good book if you're looking for a quick and easy read that's also a Dexter ripoff. The book kept me entertained and enthralled as I read it, and after I got a few pages into the book I was thoroughly intrigued by the plot line and what was going on with the characters. I was concerned that I knew who the antagonist was from practically the onset of the novel. That being said, I think there are a few flaws in this work that affect my overall review.
The blatant slut-shaming
Terri
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
She is a teenager who does the normal things - school, martial arts, working at an animal shelter... But she is obsessed with serial killers and thinks she might be one in time. She knows she is different from other kids and her loving family, that she has a darkness inside her.

She is currently fascinated with the case her BAU Mother is investigating - The Decapitator. And then he/she contacts her - knows she is following the case. The worst part for Lane, the killer seems to be very close to he
Amanda McCrohan
Nov 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! If you enjoyed the "Dexter" series, you'd love this book. Unlike Dexter, Lane does have deep emotions--the dogs at the shelter, her little brother. The author did a fantastic job making her likable. I loved all of the twists and turns. I really thought it was one person, but it turned out to be a complete surprise! I cannot wait for the sequel, which is coming out soon!
Jo
Dec 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
It gets downgraded for unnecessary language and sexual content. It was a good, quick read with a surprise ending. I was glad it wasn't a few of the red herrings because that would have been predictable in some cases.
Crystal
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
I am officially shell shocked! More to come closer to release date...
Mary Catherine
Oct 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fun and exciting novel that is reminiscent of Dexter. Full of twists and drama, this was a quick read that had me wanting more because it was so great!
LibraryCin
Lane is a teenager and has urges to hurt, or possibly even kill, people. She is fascinated by serial killers and begins to satisfy her urges by becoming a vigilante and hurting those people who seem to get away with a crime. In the meantime, she is contacted by a real-life serial killer, but why is the killer contacting her?

I thought this was really good. I was pulled in right away and found it fascinating (and a bit terrifying!) to be in Lane’s head! Being a YA book, it is a fast read. I liste
Dayla
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wowwww I did not see that ending coming AT ALL. I loved how mature this book was and now I'm kind of excited to check out the sequel.

This was a really twisted book and I enjoyed how straightforward it was and how despite everything that was happening in her life, she was still doing her own thing.

I recommend this for older teens looking for a quick thriller to read.

Happy reading!
Benish Khan (Queen.Beenie)

First Thoughts: Well, this is another novel that several people disliked but I found it intriguing enough. I tend to be the minority in most cases, I usually end up liking the book most people don't and I don't like the book everybody does. Lane is an ordinary teenager who is trying to pass high school, but she does have a secret obsession with studying serial killers. She might be one herself - she has dark impulses to hunt criminals, but she hasn't done so yet. Lane is soon targeted
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Simon & Schuster and Edelweiss.)
17-year-old Lane has a thing for serial killers, and hopes to be one herself one day, so when the ‘Decapitator’ strikes in the place where she lives, her curiosity is piqued.
Who is the Decapitator? And is Lane really suited to a life of crime?

This was an interesting story, even if it wasn’t quite what I expected.

Lane was an interesting character, but she did
Jennifer Rinehart
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have been in a really serious book drought. I don't know what my problem is, but lately, every book I try to read bores me to tears. This has happened before, usually after reading something super duper cool, like when I finished Goblet of Fire I couldn't get interested in anything for days. So I did what I usually do, I switched genres. I have tried mysteries, cozy mysteries, romance, historical romance, sci fi and fantasy and all I got was a big pile of NO.

But Killer Instinct is too good to
Play Book Tag: Killer Instinct / S.E. Green. 4 stasr 1 10 Jul 19, 2018 08:52PM
Recommendations of similars? 1 4 Jun 09, 2015 11:08AM
Killer instinct S.E Green 1 7 May 22, 2015 01:06PM
2017 Reading Chal...: Killer Instinct 1 20 Jan 20, 2015 07:45AM
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Kiss Kill Vanish
  • The Unseemly Education of Anne Merchant (V, #1)
  • Remember Me (Find Me, #2)
  • Such Sweet Sorrow
  • The Secrets of Lily Graves
  • Vivian Divine Is Dead
  • Dear Killer
  • Evidence of Things Not Seen
  • Out of Control
  • Riot
  • Blackbird (Blackbird, #1)
  • End Times
  • Amity
  • Random
  • Feral
  • The Break-Up Artist (Break-up Artist, #1)
S. E. Green is the award winning, best selling author of the KILLER INSTINCT teen thriller series, The YA suspense, ULTIMATE SACRIFICE, and the new adult thriller, VANQUISHED. She also writes contemporary novels under Shannon Greenland. She lives off the coast of Florida with her very grouchy dog. Find her online everywhere @segreenauthor

Killer Instinct (2 books)
  • Killer Within (Killer Instinct, #2)