Start by marking “Book Lovers” as Want to Read:
Book Lovers

Book Lovers

Forget poorly written prose and clichéd love scenes: Book Lovers answers the call for sexy literature with substance. This collection of toe-curling tales written by and for word-worshippers offers well-crafted fiction and creative nonfiction that connects literature to libido. From a Vonnegut-inspired tryst to an imaginary ménage à trois with Henry Miller and Anaïs Nin, t ...more
Published March 25th 2014 by Seal Press

To ask other readers questions about Book Lovers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Book Lovers

Start your review of Book Lovers
Shurrn
A STUNNING COLLECTION OF BOOK LOVE!

The stated purpose of this work was to create a collection of stories of an erotic nature which are elegantly written. I say, with out reservation, that the goal has been stunningly achieved. Finding love, lust, and heartbreaking romance in the pages of a book,
...or in the retelling of a familiar tale
...or literally betwixt the shelves of a library,
...or told through the poetry written by lovers,
...or through letters to the authors themselves.
At times playful
Selinda
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
5 STARS to BOOK LOVERS
Stories Edited by Shawna Kenney

Never in all my years of reading, and they are many have I encountered someone who I felt understood the power of an authors words on my soul. Each writer's key or pen stroke can be a caress or violent strike to the reader. Each reader's response different and yet the same. It has plauged me forever; how does one really explain the triumph or desolation that a story has provoked? How can you possibly make someone else understand that in a mere
Gef
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I figured there was no better time of year to review a genre that's out of my usual comfort zone, that being erotica, than the month that plays host to Valentine's Day. Well, Cupid's big day has come and gone, but that's no reason not to shine a light on some more naughty fiction. I read a little bit of everything, so when I saw this new anthology dedicated to--you guessed it--book lovers, I figured I should check it out.

"A to Z" by Kristina Wright started off the book really well, with a love a
Elizabeth Blackwell
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I was given the opportunity to review this book from Netgalley.

I did like this book. All the different types of stories was quite refreshing (I, personally, didn't like every single one though). It is a collection of stories, no two quite the same nor written the same.

It's slightly harder to review this since it isn't just one book, really, to review. I liked it as a whole even if there were a few stories that I didn't care for.

If it's words that work for you, in any way, you'll probably enough
Artemiz
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2013
Book Lovers: Sexy Stories from Under the Covers is a nice collection of short stories by various authors about love, lust, long lost love, once upon a time love, cheating, longing, fantasy. There are stories that are bittersweet, stories that are hot, that are surprising, unacceptable (just for me) and most of all, there is always a story about book(s).

It is a good read with some easy stories, some very emotional and some are just stories. Everybody will find a story from here that suites them t
Sofia Lazaridou
Jan 02, 2014 rated it liked it
The book includes many short stories by various authors. The stories have erotic contain and their link is the books. The book can satisfy lots of tastes. The stories are F/F, M/F and M/M. They have different themes and some have happy endings while others don't.

After a point I was tired of reading the book. I felt that once I had read a certain amount of stories it would be as if I had read them all and I could not read the others. I was jumping from one story to another, from one world to anot
Megan
Mar 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Ever had a sensuous dream about Mr. Darcy? Is a steamy rendezvous in the stacks at an old library your secret fantasy? Then I have the book of sexy stories for you! Shawna Kenney has gathered a collection of racy tales written especially for the literary inclined. Centering around books and literature, these stories range from highly charged fiction to seductive creative nonfiction. They also run the gamut of literary fantasies.

Read the rest here: http://www.thewhynottblog.com/book-re...
Laura Frey (Reading in Bed)
Some of the stories were sexy. Some of them were funny. Some were ridiculous. But none were boring. Full review to come!
Laura Roberts
Apr 02, 2014 marked it as books-i-wrote  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: 2014
Obviously 5 stars - because one of my stories is in it!
Kate
Not worth the trouble it took to read it.
NomdePlumePress
Mar 26, 2014 rated it liked it
I adore short story collections like this one. There's something for everyone, and you don't have to read a whole novel before you learn that you're not at all into what the author finds sexy. And if that's the case, you can just move on to the next story to find something that works for you. You know, if you're reading it for that particular reason. Admit it: you totally do sometimes.

Book Lovers is a collection of erotic short stories from various authors, all with a bookish theme. Utter catnip
Bookworm
Dec 08, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a first for me, erotica with a literary theme. All the short stories in Book Lovers pay homage in one way or another to the written word.

As with most short story collections, I enjoyed some more than others. Some of the shorts here were a miss for me and I wound up skimming them over. Overall however, I found this to be a nice set of steamy and creative stories.

As you read you don't know what is up next. Some of the stories are LGBT in theme, which I had no idea would be included until
Dani (The Pluviophile Writer)
Full review at Pluviophile Reader:

Confession: this was my very first piece of erotica. I may be hooked...Thank you Netgalley for introducing me to this genre.

There were some very good stories in this novel, some much better than others and some that I was able to relate to more. My favourite story by far was the "A-Z", not only was it exceptionally written (as was promised with this collaboration) but it was extremely sexy. I actually re-read the story be
Karen
Feb 23, 2014 rated it liked it
I received this ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I'm not sure exactly how to rate this book as a whole because this compilation of short stories contains such a wide variety of writing styles. There were some stories that were more literary in their writing style and perhaps it was my mood, or the fact that I'm reading at the end of a long day, but I didn't feel like being challenged and found myself skimming through these. There were others that did an excellent job
Katie
Dec 05, 2014 rated it liked it
I think I can recommend this. my favourite theme is the one about having a crush on an author - or several - because, haven't we all?

As I've said elsewhere, I have strong feelings about anthologies, and the people who edit them. You've absolutely got to have a lead-off story that starts strong and tempts the reader to get further into the book.
Book Lovers is billed as erotica with literary (or at least bookish) themes, but having read the opening few stories, I found that it was falling short sh
Lade Tawak
Dec 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Source: Netgalley

This is an interesting anthology. There are about 23 short stories but only 4 really stick out in my mind.

All are well-written. Some are hot [ A to Z by Kristina Wright , some are disturbing [An Ode to Ass-Lick Park by Assia Fengari ], a few left me confused [The Wolf by Amy Halloran and Marcoby Laurie Stone], and the rest just didn't do anything for me.

There's love, lust, long lost love, reminiscing, longing, fantasies, cheating. There's bittersweet stories, surprising stories,
Kendra
Nov 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, erotica

Book Lovers is a compilation of short stories of erotica based on reading and the written word.

I just finished this book and none of the stories really stick out in my mind. That being said, there were some that were really well written, exciting ones such as "A-Z" and some really really bad ones like Shafted (I think the thing that bothered me the most of this one was the main character saying 'dadio')

A lot just felt rushed or that I completely missed the point. Maybe it is because I read thi
Kimberly
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Review featured on www.books-n-kisses.com

2.5 Hearts Ok this book is just odd. Some stories are better than others and some are much worse. So it is as if pretty much a bunch of (mostly unknown) authors were ask to write a 10 page erotic story about their favorite book. In the style of Fan Fiction for lack of a better description. And I will be honest I have not read most of the “classics” these shorts are based on.

Maybe this is your style. It was not mine.

Disclaimer:
I received a complimentary
Sami ♥'s Books
Nov 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's very hard to review a book like this. There are many stories, each with different characters and themes.

Personally my favorite was The Descent, But there definitely seems to be something for everyone here!
Jenn Cunha
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc-netgalley
Received an ARC from NetGalley.

So I'm not sure what I was expecting, but this wasn't it. Each story features a love affair involving books, but each in different ways. Some are steamy and some are very abstract. These were not my cup of tea.
Cecily Bonney
Jan 23, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed some of this short stories but not all of them.
I am a huge fan for the first 4 stories for sure.
Lindsay
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Set out to write some sexy times short stories that all involve books? Not to shabby and way to hone in on the fact that sometimes the smell of a library or old book pages is a turn on! ;)
Kelly
May 22, 2014 added it
Very interesting collection of stories... The first one is definitely my favorite. Proper review to come.
Bibliothekerin
r/San Diego Book ...: Local Author Event 1 1 Jul 19, 2014 04:39PM
San Diego Bibliop...: Local Author Event 1 5 Jul 19, 2014 04:37PM
San Diego: Local Author Event 1 18 Jul 19, 2014 04:35PM
East County San D...: Local author event 1 8 Jul 19, 2014 04:33PM
San Diego Public ...: Book Lovers reading at San Diego Art Institute 1 9 Jul 19, 2014 04:30PM
A fabulous article by Shawna Kenney! (editor) 1 2 Jan 30, 2014 11:41AM

News & Interviews

Psychological thrillers that will leave your head spinning. Cold cases, detectives hot on a trail, unreliable narrators, and a dash of poison...