Start by marking “A Load of Hooey” as Want to Read:
A Load of Hooey

A Load of Hooey

Bob Odenkirk is a legend in the comedy-writing world, winning Emmys and acclaim for his work on Saturday Night Live, Mr. Show with Bob and David, and many other seminal TV shows. This book, his first, is a spleen-bruisingly funny omnibus that ranges from absurdist monologues (“Martin Luther King, Jr’s Worst Speech Ever”) to intentionally bad theater (“Hitler Dinner Party: ...more
Published October 7th 2014 by McSweeney's (first published April 8th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about A Load of Hooey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Load of Hooey

Fred
Jan 30, 2015 rated it liked it
(in the spirit of "Didn't Work For Me", p.25) First of all, let me say that I'm a HUUUUUUGGEEEE fan of Barb Okiedirk. I've read every one of his books. Literally. This is his one book. So, when everyone in my "book club" said I absolutely "had to" read this "classic", I splurged on a library card and went for it. SPOILER ALERT-IT'S TERRIBLE. Page after page filled with words arranged in sentences then grouped in paragraphs. Each chapter is a different "humorous" (spelling?) story with different ...more
Mariah Roze
Jul 01, 2016 rated it did not like it
My boyfriend and I started listening to this and got halfway through and stopped. It was boring and not funny :( disappointing because we love comedy books.
Mike
A book that insists on telling you it's funny is a bit like a used-car salesman who calls himself Honest John.
Toria
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5☆ quick read, pretty funny stuff. If you like absurdity there's plenty to enjoy. I laughed out loud at one part about chocolate cake. This book was published in 2014, but I couldn't help thinking of "the most beautiful piece of chocolate cake you've ever seen."
Wesley
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
My Rating: 4 Saul Goodmans (It's all good, man)
Audio sktch comedy. funny stuff.
ElphaReads
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
(originally reviewed at elphareads.tumblr.com )

A good book makes you laugh to yourself as you read it. A REALLY good book makes me and my husband stream tears of laughing on the bed as I read it out loud. A LOAD OF HOOEY by Bob Odenkirk is a really good book. So Bob Odenkirk is probably best known for co-creating MR. SHOW WITH BOB AND DAVID with David Cross, and his role as Saul Goodman on BREAKING BAD and BETTER CALL SAUL. All you need to know about him is that he is a very funny guy, and all
Anne
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This isn't the sort of book I would typically gravitate to, but I received it as a gift. I found the stories to be somewhat repetitive, but I laughed out loud regularly, which is, I think, the point.
Corey
Feb 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018
A few chuckles, but mostly quite painful. It’s a shame, because I loved Odenkirk’s work in ‘Breaking Bad’.
Michael
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
This quick read is a combination of witty pieces that remind me of the writings of folks like Woody Allen and Groucho Marx, as there is a little Mr. Show edginess but a lot more whimsical, silly and funny writing. Unsurprisingly, some of the pieces are more in a sketch form -- there is a piece about Paul McCartney playing "Blackbird" for his fellow Beatles for the first time that had me laughing out loud many times. Indeed, Odenkirk's batting average is pretty high. There are a few just okay pie ...more
kimberly
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
A load of hooey indeed.
Lauren
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Quick, easy book I actually laughed out loud while reading. Which really, hardly ever happens, especially when a book claims to be funny.
Chris Rutledge
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Meh
Tina (KillMonotony)
Worum geht’s?

In diesem Buch gibt Bob Odenkirk, wohl am bekanntesten als Anwalt Saul Goodman in den Serien „Breaking Bad“ und „Better Call Saul“, Kurzgeschichten und Gedichte zum Besten. Vom Plädoyer gegen das Bücherlesen auf der Toilette über eine möglicherweise stattgefundene Begegnung mit Gott bis hin zur schlechtesten Rede, die Martin Luther King Jr. jemals gehalten hat, werden Leser und Leserin kopfüber in einen Humor gestürzt, den es auf unserer Seite des Atlantiks noch viel zu selten gibt.
Bonnie
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Listened to this on a long car ride with my teen. We are both big Odenkirk fans. There were some flashes of brilliance here, but mostly this was just a series of ideas that had not yet been polished or edited. The whole audiobook is less than 3 hours long, and we got a few laughs, but I can't say I am urging anyone to read this.
Martin
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Some inspired bits, others feel pretty lazy...
Rich
Dec 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
"The bottom ab on the left is harder to explain, but I believe that this ab is simply self-aware. It quivers with tension at all times, even more so when I am supposed to be relaxing, and I believe it is searching for a sense of purpose for itself and no answer is forthcoming. Nothing works this ab like a vacation. The aimless uncertainty, the absence of all deadlines, tightens and sculpts like nothing else. After ten days in Hawaii, this ab looks amazing." -111

The Second Meeting of Jesus and La
Chip Carman
Nov 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
I have indicated that I am finished. That is because I read about a hundred pages and this book is so stupid and vacuous I simply can't contemplate going any further. I have read probably a hundred books cover to cover before reaching this impasse so that tells you how bad I believe this book to be. And the hard part is, I really like Bob Odenkirk. He is a brilliant comedian and a terrific actor to watch. I'm looking forward to seeing him in his new show based on Breaking Bad playing that slimy ...more
tinabel
Nov 13, 2014 rated it liked it
An amusing collection of skits from a gifted writer and actor. Some definitely better than others, amongst my favourites were: "Unabridged Quotes" from famous people throughout history; "Her Laughter"; "I Think I Just Met God" (a Moses, or similarly, Joseph Smith, parody); "What I'm Looking For in Another Man"; and "Shakespeare in the Park." All in all, A Load of Hooey is a nice, light diversion.
Jean
May 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
I hate giving bad reviews. I got this book because I love Saul on Breaking Bad and on Better Call Saul and know he is a writer for the latter. However, the book only made me laugh a few times. There were some very witty things, but overall I think I just didn't get some of it. My book group just did short stories and they didn't get/like the collection we read, now I know how they feel. It's probably me, not Mr. Odenkirk. I was excited and expected so much funnier.
Chris G Gillotti
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fun, extremely quick book of humor in the style like Steve Martin's Cruel Shoes or Jon Stewart's Naked Pictures of Famous People. Too short, really. I wish there was more in here. I got the hardback and it's really well put together, worth getting it in your hands. The cover and some inset illustrations by Tony Millionaire were a pleasant surprise to this Maakies fan.
Paige
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
Meh!
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very funny, entertaining, and short audiobook. My favorite piece is the prisoners voting to perform Shakespeare in the Park.
Timb
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
:^)
Jessica
Jan 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book is appropriately named.
Linnea Gelland
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Some fun stuff, some not so much. The "not so much" was mostly sketches that I just didn't get, or that went on for a bit too long after I'd gotten the idea already. It comes down to personal taste, of course, but I think some of the skits may have benefited from being shown instead of just read.

It was nice to hear as an audiobook, especially for Jay's performances. He was really into it. And it's nice to hear those people working together, no matter what on.

The poems were probably the funniest
John Marszalkowski
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love it.

I like how short each chapter is. I like that each chapter is entirely independent. I like that it's funny.
Like✖3 = Love

How funny, you ask?
Well, I'm going to say it's 4/5 on the laugh-o-meter. It was laugh-out-loud funny when I was at home. However, when I was reading part of it on an airplane, I was able to impose my will to hold in laughs with no sign of chuckling. But I was laughing on the inside. So it's "laugh-out-loud funny," but not "uncontrollable-laughter funny." The tempera
Mike
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bob Odenkirk was born to write comedy. He is, in my opinion, one of the best comedy writers who ever lived. This book is just more proof of this. The short essays and stories in this book are so silly and outlandish, I was audibly laughing through most of it. However, I must highly highly highly recommend you go with the audiobook on this one. Not only does Bob read this book, but he also gets some of his comedian friends from Mr. Show, like Paul F Tompkins and David Cross, to read as well. It w ...more
Chris Conrady
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
There was definitely some fun humor in this - a collection of humor, but overall I just got tired of it about half way through. It jokes about it NOT being a bathroom read and how bathroom reads are terrible, but that is exactly what this is. Short little bits to be taken individually. My favorite was the section of critical Amazon reviews of things like "The Mona Lisa", "The God Father", or "The Bible" - funny and accurate. I may pick it up again someday, but i'm good for now.
Garrett
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read by me in one sitting this morning (I woke up early), this is a very funny book that's pure absurdist Odenkirk. The stream of vitriolic humor that's run from Mr. Show through his work and onto the pages of this book will make you want to read it on the toilet, despite the exhortations not to at the beginning (or, really, before the beginning). Good stuff - if you like Bob Odenkirk, you will enjoy his book.
Erica
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Essays felt very uneven. A few were clever and witty (e.g., the Mad Libs inventor's obituary and the various "unabridged" quotes), but many seemed bogged down with sophomoric jokes involving bodily functions. Odenkirk is clearly a very intelligent man with a wonderfully unique perspective on life, but this book seemed unable to settle on a target audience - was he writing for frat boys, or for intellectuals with a dark sense of humor?
  • Mr. Show-What Happened?: The Complete Story & Episode Guide
  • Satiristas: Comedians, Contrarians, Raconteurs & Vulgarians
  • You'll Be Perfect When You're Dead: Collected Online Writings of Dan Harmon
  • What I'd Say to the Martians and Other Veiled Threats
  • Poking a Dead Frog: Conversations with Today's Top Comedy Writers
  • My Dead Dad Was in ZZ Top: 100% Real*, Never-Before-Seen Documents from the World of Rock and Roll
  • The Purple Decades - A Reader
  • The Smartest Book in the World: A Lexicon of Literacy, A Rancorous Reportage, A Concise Curriculum of Cool
  • The Will to Whatevs: A Guide to Modern Life
  • Spoiled Brats
  • Will Not Attend: Lively Stories of Detachment and Isolation
  • My Conference Can Beat Your Conference: Why the SEC Still Rules College Football
  • The Journey Home: My Life in Pinstripes
  • My Way
  • Get in the Game: 8 Elements of Perseverance That Make the Difference
  • Stinker Lets Loose!
  • That is All
  • Paradoxical Undressing
Robert John "Bob" Odenkirk (born October 22, 1962) is an American actor, comedian, writer, director, and producer. He is best known for being the co-creator and co-star of the HBO sketch comedy series Mr. Show with Bob and David and for his role as criminal lawyer Saul Goodman on the AMC crime drama series Breaking Bad and its upcoming spin-off series Better Call Saul.
In the 1980s and 1990s, Odenk
“If I had my life to live over again, I would focus on the getting and eating of ice cream.” 3 likes
“OTHER BOOKS BY THIS AUTHOR SO YOU WANT TO WRITE A BOOK? In this masterpiece of the how-to genre, Bob Odenkirk asks his readers questions such as You want to write a book? Really? Why? Wasn’t this one good enough for you? What about the other twenty billion books you can pick up for free at the library? Oh, I get it, none of them contain your life story. Are you sure? Have you checked? Double-check.” 2 likes